Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston J Metchie III

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
According to this article he is a little ahead of schedule

Technically, there’s no real way to tell. They can’t do MRIs or XRays to definitively determine how the healing is progressing.

They basically stress the joint/ligaments then assess the response; swelling, pain on a subjective level, etc…

Then it’s a guess. You won’t know for sure until he’s working 100% with no ill effects.

I wouldn’t put much stock in any “ahead of schedule” reports, only that it’s not responding negatively

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Technically, there’s no real way to tell. They can’t do MRIs or XRays to definitively determine how the healing is progressing.

They basically stress the joint/ligaments then assess the response; swelling, pain on a subjective level, etc…

Then it’s a guess. You won’t know for sure until he’s working 100% with no ill effects.

I wouldn’t put much stock in any “ahead of schedule” reports, only that it’s not responding negatively
One significant factor that only recovers very late in the rehab process and is almost impossible to accurately assess is "proprioception".........................the body's perception where its parts are in space. Below is a simple 2-minute video explanation of this concept, which must be strongly kept in mind when rehabbing any injury, but especially lower limb injuries. Pushing a player too hard and/or too quickly in the rehab, ignoring the lag of proprioception return, is the cause of many reinjuries as well as poor return performance.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Metchie is a very intriguing prospect who should be similar to early version of Brandon Cooks. Fluid, quick in & out of his breaks with very good hands. Gotta be careful not to rush him back too soon even though Mills really needs him.

Im not out on Nico but needs to be utilized as X receiver. Big target, downfield threat and cross field slants to soften up box. Reminds me, as a big WR prospect, of Jaelen Strong. More physical and mentally tougher, I hope 🤞
In line with my post above, hopefully the Texans and the the medical staff will begin playing it smarter than their usual past pattern...........and Metchie or any other Texans players coming off of injury and/or surgery will not continue to be pushed too hard too quickly in their rehab in the effort to "beat the clock."

*****************************************************************EX-BROWNS WR JAELEN STRONG CLAIMS BROWNS MISHANDLED INJURY... 'I Could Barely Walk'
12/10/2019 12:38 PM PT

Jaelen Strong feels Odell Beckham's pain -- with the ex-Browns WR claiming the Cleveland training staff mishandled his own knee injury before he was cut in August.

25-year-old Strong missed the 2018 NFL season after suffering a torn ACL during his stint with the Jacksonville Jaguars ... but healed up and signed with the Browns in Feb. 2019.

Cleveland was expecting big things from the former Houston Texans 3rd round draft pick -- which is why many were surprised to see him get his walking papers during the preseason.

Now, Strong is sounding off about his time in Cleveland ... essentially accusing the team of ignoring his constant knee pain -- and working him so hard, his body nearly broke.

Strong is specifically pointing to the Browns preseason training regimen -- claiming the team ran an "unheard of" 30 straight padded practices ... which took a serious toll on the players.

"We played a full season in camp. The real season is here and they are already behind the 8 ball. Hamstring issues at DB? That’s just saying they’re being overworked!!!!"

As for Strong's case ... the WR claims team doctors knew his body was suffering from the intense camp -- "my knee swelled up day after day" -- but he was never offered a recovery day off.

"We get to week 3 of preseason and I can barely walk," Strong says ... "I was dead ... body legs etc."

The Browns ultimately cut Strong on August 27 after he performed poorly in a preseason game -- but notes, "the Browns knew why I looked and felt the way I felt after making play after play in camp for 30 straight padded practices."

The claims come days after Browns QB Baker Mayfield called out the Browns training staff for mishandling Odell Beckham's sports hernia injury, which he also suffered during the preseason.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Luckily most of Metchie's rehab work happened before the Texans drafted him. So there's hope.

Caserio also said they weren't going to push Metchie. That's a change from previous regimes. So again there's hope.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Caserio also said they weren't going to push Metchie. That's a change from previous regimes. So again there's hope.
Caserio said coachspeak. You can't believe what they say. Notice what they do. Looks like they're pushing Metchie...

In this thread CnnD has expressed skepticism about the Texans methods especially as related to their historical practices.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Caserio said coachspeak. You can't believe what they say. Notice what they do. Looks like they're pushing Metchie...

In this thread CnnD has expressed skepticism about the Texans methods especially as related to their historical practices.
What was he doing that makes you think they were pushing him?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
What was he doing that makes you think they were pushing him?
They're saying he's ahead of schedule & working him out as if that were quantifiably true.

Go back, read CnnnD's last post & mine. There's no way to tell if a guy is truly ahead of schedule other than to push him beyond conservative prognosis & rejoicing that his knee hasn't blown up... yet.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They're saying he's ahead of schedule & working him out as if that were quantifiably true.

Go back, read CnnnD's last post & mine. There's no way to tell if a guy is truly ahead of schedule other than to push him beyond conservative prognosis & rejoicing that his knee hasn't blown up... yet.
I agree with CnD's post.

My question is what have you seen that makes you think they're pushing him in the film you've seen? I haven't seen what you're talking about, but maybe I haven't seen the film you've seen.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I agree with CnD's post.

My question is what have you seen that makes you think they're pushing him in the film you've seen? I haven't seen what you're talking about, but maybe I haven't seen the film you've seen.
You're funny.

I'm saying

The very fact that they are saying he is ahead of schedule

Since the Texans are saying Metchie is ahead of schedule

Texans are saying he is ahead of schedule

They (the Texans) are saying he is ahead of schedule

Means they are pushing him

Somebody made a schedule

They are acting as if it is some time in the future

Not today

A time ahead of today

As if it were June 16 (just an example)

They are pushing

It's hard to decipher the cryptic messages like, "he is ahead of schedule."

But if you listen carefully... slow it down, play it backwards it almost sounds like they are saying, "he's ahead of schedule."

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You're funny.

I'm saying

The very fact that they are saying he is ahead of schedule

Since the Texans are saying Metchie is ahead of schedule

Texans are saying he is ahead of schedule

They (the Texans) are saying he is ahead of schedule

Means they are pushing him

Somebody made a schedule

They are acting as if it is some time in the future

Not today

A time ahead of today

As if it were June 16 (just an example)

They are pushing

It's hard to decipher the cryptic messages like, "he is ahead of schedule."

But if you listen carefully... slow it down, play it backwards it almost sounds like they are saying, "he's ahead of schedule."
Dr. Cain, the guy that did the surgery (At Alabama) said he was ahead of schedule. Metchie said he would be back in July. Caserio said they were going to take it easy with Metchie and hopefully have him ready for start of the season. Why do you believe this to not be the case? Have you seen or heard anything differently coming from Caserio/Lovie/McDaniels, even Metchie himself that has been said that he's being pushed? Or are you just giving your opinion nilly willy?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Dr. Cain, the guy that did the surgery (At Alabama) said he was ahead of schedule. Metchie said he would be back in July. Caserio said they were going to take it easy with Metchie and hopefully have him ready for start of the season. Why do you believe this to not be the case? Have you seen or heard anything differently coming from Caserio/Lovie/McDaniels, even Metchie himself that has been said that he's being pushed? Or are you just giving your opinion nilly willy?
You're right, I'm responding to a report of a report

michaelm

vox nihili
I thought Mechie was being held out of the drills that the other players were doing and only stretching and warming up on the sidelines?
Did he start working with his position group?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I would like Metchie to start the season on PUP then be inserted into offense after PUP list time runs through to give him additional 6 weeks of recovery and to work himself into football shape.

I expect Texans medical staff to have him full go in training camp no restrictions and sustain a compensatory injury or three that will make people question why the team traded up for such an ineffective injury prone player…

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I would like Metchie to start the season on PUP then be inserted into offense after PUP list time runs through to give him additional 6 weeks of recovery and to work himself into football shape.

I expect Texans medical staff to have him full go in training camp no restrictions and sustain a compensatory injury or three that will make people question why the team traded up for such an ineffective injury prone player…
First two questions on the Texans Official Draft Qualification analyzer are:
1. Does he have an injury history?
2. Can we trade up and still get him?

Porky

Hall of Fame
I’m still trying to figure out what this kid has as attributes that is so special that it required a move up, spending precious draft capital in a deep draft. He is an injury risk, has no special physical characteristics and projects as a slot receiver in the pros. He is the next underwhelming 2nd rd pick by an org that specializes in underwhelming. Jabar Gaffney anyone?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I’m still trying to figure out what this kid has as attributes that is so special that it required a move up, spending precious draft capital in a deep draft. He is an injury risk, has no special physical characteristics and projects as a slot receiver in the pros. He is the next underwhelming 2nd rd pick by an org that specializes in underwhelming. Jabar Gaffney anyone?
They clearly value him highly and have placed priority on addressing slot WR. They missed on Anthony Miller then grabbed Amendola as a backup option. Amendola’s final game here was 7 catches 113 yards and 2 tds. They must believe the player and the slot WR position is a priority.

I don’t necessarily buy the “no outstanding traits” argument. He was a plus starter for Alabama and a productive player in the SEC. He was going to be a first round pick if not for the injury.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He was Young's go to guy on 3rd downs He has great quickness and is a precise route runner. He knows how to beat the jam at the LOS. He was Bama's most productive RZ wr. I see alot of Edelman in his game if he's healthy.

Gaffney had a fairly long and productive career with the Pats. Don't judge him by the Carr yrs.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
He was Young's go to guy on 3rd downs He has great quickness and is a precise route runner. He knows how to beat the jam at the LOS. He was Bama's most productive RZ wr. I see alot of Edelman in his game if he's healthy.

Gaffney had a fairly long and productive career with the Pats. Don't judge him by the Carr yrs.
Quickness and route running are what teams are looking at when evaluating slot WR candidates. Hands as well of course but that goes for every WR. Edelman was a converted QB but ran an outstanding 6.62 3 cone coming out. Renfrow was 6.80. That is a good measure of their quickness in and out of breaks. Film and private workouts will tell teams if the player can run the required route tree needed to be successful. We didn’t get Metchie’s workout times or a workout but the film shows he can run the routes and appears to have required quickness. The team got him at a discount due to the injury, just like the Lions got his teammate Williams at a discount (likely top 10 pick without injury).

You’re not necessarily looking for those outstanding JaMarr Chase WR1 measurables at the position. If a prospect is 6’ 200+ and runs a 4.3 40 chances are they will be playing outside more than inside… and if they are stellar route runners as well they aren’t available past the top half of the first round.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Inquiring minds want your thoughts.
I’ve watched a few highlights & a lot of them he appears to do a stutter step when the ball is snapped.

Of course those were highlights & I don’t know how much of his game is dependent on that. But in the NFL, that’s not going to fly.

I think Davis Mills is going to be more of a rhythm QB. & that dancing at the LOS is going to mess with the timing. Especially in critical moments like 3rd down.

I’m rooting for Metchie, Mills, & even Caserio. So I hope there’s more to his game than what I’ve seen on highlights.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I’ve watched a few highlights & a lot of them he appears to do a stutter step when the ball is snapped.

Of course those were highlights & I don’t know how much of his game is dependent on that. But in the NFL, that’s not going to fly.

I think Davis Mills is going to be more of a rhythm QB. & that dancing at the LOS is going to mess with the timing. Especially in critical moments like 3rd down.

I’m rooting for Metchie, Mills, & even Caserio. So I hope there’s more to his game than what I’ve seen on highlights.
Davante Adams is probably the best route runner in the NFL currently. He seems to consistently get open using stutter steps at the LOS.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Davante Adams is probably the best route runner in the NFL currently. He seems to consistently get open using stutter steps at the LOS.

Would you consider Aaron Rodgers to be a rhythm QB?

Do you believe Mills to be closer to Aaron Rodgers or Matt Ryan?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Would you consider Aaron Rodgers to be a rhythm QB?

Do you believe Mills to be closer to Aaron Rodgers or Matt Ryan?
I know there’s not a lot to talk about at this point in the offseason but we seriously aren’t going to start debating whether Davante freaking Adams would be successful with a “rhythm QB”…

The stutter step is used successfully in the NFL. I can pull up more examples than just Adams. Here’s Keenan Allen:

There are possible reasons a prospect may be unsuccessful coming into the NFL. But this technique isn’t one of them.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
but we seriously aren’t going to start debating whether Davante freaking Adams would be successful with a “rhythm QB”…
Not really the angle I was coming from. More like, would that stutter step be as big a part of his game if he played with a rhythm QB.

There are possible reasons a prospect may be unsuccessful coming into the NFL. But this technique isn’t one of them.
Again, not what I'm arguing. How much does he rely on this? Is this his only/primary/one of many techniques? I stated clearly all I've watched is highlights. & was hoping the counter argument would be, "No, he's got a bag of tricks." Possibly with some examples. But... the responses I'm getting is that this technique is in wide use in the NFL.... while that may be true, it doesn't aleve my concern. That's ok. You don't have to be the one to answer. I'll see soon enough.

michaelm

vox nihili
Not really the angle I was coming from. More like, would that stutter step be as big a part of his game if he played with a rhythm QB.

Again, not what I'm arguing. How much does he rely on this? Is this his only/primary/one of many techniques? I stated clearly all I've watched is highlights. & was hoping the counter argument would be, "No, he's got a bag of tricks." Possibly with some examples. But... the responses I'm getting is that this technique is in wide use in the NFL.... while that may be true, it doesn't aleve my concern. That's ok. You don't have to be the one to answer. I'll see soon enough.
According to the reports I've seen, his bag of tricks is an already pro level knowledge of the route tree, and being a good to excellent route runner with a very good ability to get separation (excellent suddeness, change of direction and explosive footwork).

michaelm

vox nihili
Anyone remember the phrase that Kubiak used to describe the combination of receivers that he liked?
It was like fox and Jack rabbit or something similar.
He used two animals to describe one receiver being the fast guy who can get over the top and the other one who is more a possession type.

I'm probably not doing a great job of describing it but I think it's good enough to ring a bell for one of you with a better memory than mine.

I bring this up because I think the team has a pretty good combination of guys on the outside and in the slot. They're quite different from each other in both playing style and in their physical attributes.

Cooks isn't exactly the burner you want to take the top off, but he's the player that most fits that role.

Collins has possession receiver size and abilities, with a little top end speed as a compliment.

Mitchie seems well suited for creating in the middle, especially against zone in my mind, and I feel like he's going to have games where he benefits greatly from what the others are doing on the outside, alternating with games where he's the one creating opportunities for the other two by what he's doing in the middle of the field.

It might not pan out like this. But I think the combination of skills available is pretty interesting.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Are there any concerns that John Metchie III won’t be ready for Week 1?

We spoke with Dr. Lyle Cain, the Alabama team physician who conducted Metchie’s knee surgery after he tore his anterior cruciate ligament on a non-contact cut in the SEC Championship Game on Dec. 4, and Cain said Metchie was “beating every timetable we normally have,” and, if he continues along that schedule in his recovery in Houston, “he has a good chance to be ready to play.”

Cain was optimistic about Metchie because there was very little swelling, which gave Metchie the illusion he was prepared to play in Alabama’s semifinal playoff game against Cincinnati. Even post-surgery, the knee looked “normal.” And when we asked Metchie about his recovery after the Texans traded up to draft him in the second round, he said he’d be “full-go football” in July, that he’d been running, cutting and jumping in the months leading up to the draft and felt “better than I ever felt.”

All of that to say Metchie is very much on track to play for the Texans when they open the season at home against the Colts on Sept. 11. That will mark nine months and seven days since Metchie’s injury, and Cain has seen Alabama athletes return anywhere between five to nine months based on how well their body responds to surgery.

Expect the Texans to be overly cautious with Metchie during training camp and the preseason. Caserio has said “when he’s ready, he’ll be ready” and that the Texans aren’t going to “rush or push” their new receiver. Already, the franchise lost DaeSean Hamilton, who suffered a knee injury while running routes during OTAs. Sending Metchie into full-contact drills in training camp — even playing him in one of their three preseason games — seems like an unnecessary risk. Pep Hamilton knows Metchie’s capabilities and is already using his Alabama film to factor him into the offense.

Metchie’s initial return in training camp could resemble how Houston handled No. 3 overall pick Derek Stingley Jr., who underwent season-ending Lisfranc surgery last season. Stingley participated in individual drills and scripted defensive plays during OTAs, but remained on the sideline during 11-vs.-11 sessions.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Metchie’s initial return in training camp could resemble how Houston handled No. 3 overall pick Derek Stingley Jr., who underwent season-ending Lisfranc surgery last season. Stingley participated in individual drills and scripted defensive plays during OTAs, but remained on the sideline during 11-vs.-11 sessions.
The more cautious they are the better. If you are going to draft injured players than don’t rush them on the field.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Not at #3
I’m pretty sure some teams have taken players in the top ten who we’re coming off an injury in college. Didn’t the Washington Redskins draft Robert Griffin III with the number 2 pick?

Griffin missed 1 game with a Grade 1 LCL sprain to his right knee. Griffin tore his right ACL during the 3rd game of his sophomore season at Baylor. Griffin dislocated his left ankle and missed the next 6 games. Griffin fractured the coracoid bone in his left shoulder in Week 1 and missed the next 11 games.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’m pretty sure some teams have taken players in the top ten who we’re coming off an injury in college. Didn’t the Washington Redskins draft Robert Griffin III with the number 2 pick?

Griffin missed 1 game with a Grade 1 LCL sprain to his right knee. Griffin tore his right ACL during the 3rd game of his sophomore season at Baylor. Griffin dislocated his left ankle and missed the next 6 games. Griffin fractured the coracoid bone in his left shoulder in Week 1 and missed the next 11 games.
And they paid the price for that decision.

Hopefully the same fate doesn't await Lovie and Caserio.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
And they paid the price for that decision.

Hopefully the same fate doesn't await Lovie and Caserio.
RG3’s NFL future was hampered by Snyder putting the RG3 on a pedestal and RG3 telling Shannahan he could play so soon back from injury. And of course Shannahan believing him. Mostly Snyder though.