Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston J Metchie III

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Willis McGahee probably had one of the most horrific injuries I’ve ever seen and he ended up having a decent pro career. Again, I want to know the post-ACL data for college players turning pro. Not guys who are already in the pros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Metchie was considered a reach because he has no special traits. He's not big,fast,or quick. He averaged 12 ypc last year while the guy opposite avg 20 and had 15 td. When they had Waddle and Smith, both them dudes were over 17 ypc, so we can't say its because Williams was the deep ball guy.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Because he's a possession wr. Williams is a homerun hitter who also have a great batting avg. Metchie was 12ypc Williams was 20.
Which is why Williams was picked 12th and Metchie was picked in the 2nd.

Somebody has to run the underneath stuff, not everybody can or should run verticals. Metchie is very good at what he does. It's not like he's slow.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
in most instances they aren’t rushed back by the docs themselves…they rush back b/c of the peer pressure of team comraderie..similar to a soldier who He gets shipped back home after spending years training and fighting alongside his brothers. you often here of these guys feeling guilt & in some instances wind up going back b/c they cant reconcile being home safe while their “brothers”are still over there risking life and limb.

they rush back for themselves too b/c they understand their livelihood is at stake. “Cant make the club in the tub”..

i know fol
I know and get this

It's up to the doctors to keep the players from themselves. This is where the Calhoun's medical staff has failed over the yrs.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Metchie was considered a reach because he has no special traits. He's not big,fast,or quick. He averaged 12 ypc last year while the guy opposite avg 20 and had 15 td. When they had Waddle and Smith, both them dudes were over 17 ypc, so we can't say its because Williams was the deep ball guy.
His special trait is hes a very polished route runner…this may not be looked at as a trait per se, but it is. Guys spend years in the NFL and dont improve to where Metchie already is. Dude was a 2nd rounder & was gonna be that whether we picked him where we did or not.

i also dont agree that hes not quick..is he lightning quick ala Tyreke Hill? No but he is above average there…certainly much more quick than given credit for. Part of why folks think hes not that quick is because he’s excellent with his releases…typically comes out slowly & is patient for purposes of setting up the cb..only accelerates once he has won. That whip route he threw on McCreary in the iron bowl is an excellent example of this.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You can say he has elite quickness in and out of his breaks, which is why he was Young's favorite guy on 3rd and RZ situations. Metchie is Caserios Edelman/Amendola

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
You can say he has elite quickness in and out of his breaks, which is why he was Young's favorite guy on 3rd and RZ situations. Metchie is Caserios Edelman/Amendola
McCreary went 2 picks ahead of Metchie to the Titans. He was a guy that moved up draft boards b/c of how he supposedly shut down alot of the SEC’s best WRs last year. Wasn’t the case against Metchie who took him apart down the stretch of that game in the 4th. Some guys just know how to get open, & this kid is 1 of those guys.

Reminds me of Randle El..

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Something has been terribly lost in this discussion. It has been apparent to me for years that many of the NFL team's doctors have abandoned the most important premise of a doctor's most sacred Hippocratic Oath............."First do no harm."

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Something has been terribly lost in this discussion. It has been apparent to me for years that many of the NFL team's doctors have abandoned the most important premise of a doctor's most sacred Hippocratic Oath............."First do no harm."
Eh, For NFL docs it should be “do no more harm”. The hippocratic oath largely goes out the window the minute you as a doc sign on to be the doctor of a sport where 1 of the main things that happens is super strong men crash into each other violently over 40-50 tines a game. Im sure no doctor would cosign that activity if truly trying not to do harm.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Eh, For NFL docs it should be “do no more harm”. The hippocratic oath largely goes out the window the minute you as a doc sign on to be the doctor of a sport where 1 of the main things that happens is super strong men crash into each other violently over 40-50 tines a game. Im sure no doctor would cosign that activity if truly trying not to do harm.
My point exactly.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
McCreary went 2 picks ahead of Metchie to the Titans. He was a guy that moved up draft boards b/c of how he supposedly shut down alot of the SEC’s best WRs last year. Wasn’t the case against Metchie who took him apart down the stretch of that game in the 4th. Some guys just know how to get open, & this kid is 1 of those guys.

If healthy Metchie is one of the things that this team has been missing for a long time.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

Somebody has to run the underneath stuff, not everybody can or should run verticals. Metchie is very good at what he does. It's not like he's slow.
We've been on this before and continue to do it. Who is the big play skill person for the Texans? They don't have one. Cooks is the closest they have and I'm a cooks fan. If I'm moving up 24 spots and drafting a wr, he has to be a field stretcher/ high rac guy. Look at wr's in the past that have went where Metchie was drafted even recently. Metchie plays Cooks position except he's not nearly as fast as Cooks. Cooks should be the move guy, but maybe they made this pick as a replacement for cooks 2 years down the line. IMO, you move up to get a vertical threat like Pierce or Pickens or even Skyy, not Metchie. I guess they plan on playing small ball down the field.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

Where was Randle El drafted?

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
if you're that and in cfb with so much space and poor tackling, why was he 12 yards per catch? Amendola and Edleman were also late round picks. Kyle Phillips who has alot of those qualities you speak of was drafted in the 5th round, not #44

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
if you're that and in cfb with so much space and poor tackling, why was he 12 yards per catch? Amendola and Edleman were also late round picks. Kyle Phillips who has alot of those qualities you speak of was drafted in the 5th round, not #44
Metchie is better than Phillips and a r you remember I really liked Phillips.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Metchie is better than Phillips and a r you remember I really liked Phillips.
That can be true, but he plays the same position as Cooks excepts he's not as explosive or fast. Again, I'm not saying Metchie is going to be a bum or bust, I'm simply stating in the nfl he's a slot. They need a vertical threat to loosen up the defense and make plays down the field. Now if teams to press the box on early downs to stifle your run game and put the team in obvious pass situations, then so be it. Nothing against Metchie, just a little rich for what he is. Not to mention, he's injured also.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Goodness man Mectchie averaged 16.7 his sophomore season with 6 Touchdowns. His role changed in his junior season. So please stop bringing up his average in one freaking year.
Man sometimes we can get stuck in our narrative when we don’t like a certain player.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Where was Randle El drafted?
Randle El was a 2nd round pick too… albeit taken a little later than Metchie was.

Metchie is a true WR tho…unlike Randle El who was converted in the pros so he never quite developed the polish of Metchie whose ability to release and create separation is what separates him from ALOT of his peers. I said he reminds me of Randle El, but there are other true WR comps for him too. In the NFL The best in the business at releasing off the LOS, squaring their defenders up and stacking…those guys aren’t speed merchants either…..

Devante Adams…

Keenan Allen.

Metchie already has alot of those releases in his repertoire.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That can be true, but he plays the same position as Cooks excepts he's not as explosive or fast. Again, I'm not saying Metchie is going to be a bum or bust, I'm simply stating in the nfl he's a slot. They need a vertical threat to loosen up the defense and make plays down the field. Now if teams to press the box on early downs to stifle your run game and put the team in obvious pass situations, then so be it. Nothing against Metchie, just a little rich for what he is. Not to mention, he's injured also.
Cooks is the vertical threat. It's what he's been at every stop in his NFL career.

Last edited:

Dejaview

All Pro
Goodness man Mectchie averaged 16.7 his sophomore season with 6 Touchdowns. His role changed in his junior season. So please stop bringing up his average in one freaking year.
Man sometimes we can get stuck in our narrative when we don’t like a certain player.
This forum is stuck in its narrative, lol.

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club
Willis McGahee probably had one of the most horrific injuries I’ve ever seen and he ended up having a decent pro career. Again, I want to know the post-ACL data for college players turning pro. Not guys who are already in the pros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I apologize that you can't remember your own words. Here they are for your perusal.

JWLCASPER

Waterboy
Which is crazy considering Kupp averaged 107 catches, 1,616 yards and 18 TD per season in 4 years at EWU.

Just goes to show, there is no exact science to this.
My first year scouting for pay I pounded the table for my agency to try and sign Kupp. I went to James Madison in undergrad and knew that though EW was a “step below” in competition, that Kupp was special. James Madison won the championship his senior season when Youngstown State beat EW in the semis. I was prepared for him to shred JMU in the title game but was thankful he got eliminated. I sat front row for that game and watched my Dukes bring home the title. He was my first true blue “Diamond” hit of a report. I wrote the report the season before he entered the draft, before he shot up draft boards. That man winning the Super Bowl MVP and Offensive POY was my ultimate vindication all these years later.

Close rant / horn blowing on Kupp.

I have went back and forth with @leebigeztx on this since draft night. Metchie as a true freshman barely saw the field because of the talent at Alabama. 4 catches in 4 games while backing up Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs III and Jaylen Waddle. This was Tua’s last year. The following year (2020) Metchie was second fiddle (third before Waddle was injured) to Devonta Smith in Mac Jones final year. The offensive coordinator was Steve Sarkisian and Metchie had 55 catches for 916 yards and 6 touchdowns with a 16.7 YPC average. Fast forward one year, and now Mr. BOb, our favorite head ball coach, is the OC of Alabama. We have watched his “schemes” here and know that one individual is the take the top off threat (Fuller Texans / Williams Bama) and one individual is the sticks or first down machine (Hopkins Texans / Metchie Bama).

The average depth of the route BOb had Metchie run was 7.56 yards, the second lowest for an Alabama top 2 WR ever.

The numbers, however, show just how different their assignments have been.

The average depth of Williams’ route on catches is 14.32 yards beyond the line of scrimmage, according to SECStatCat.com. For Metchie, that number is 7.56 yards. In the four years of the site tracking these numbers, Williams’ 14.32 is the highest among Alabama receivers while Metchie’s 7.56 is the lowest among anyone No. 2 that given season.

Jerry Jeudy’s 13.0-yard average depth in 2018 was the next-highest in that four-year span, according to the SECStatCat database.

I think we just help one another,” Metchie said Monday. “We just go out there and play and we just help one another. Help him get open. He helps me get open. We just complement each other’s game.”
from this article. https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2021/11/what-makes-this-alabama-wr-combo-unique.html?outputType=amp

BOb, along with Bryce Young who averaged 8.9 yards per attempt to Mac Jones 11.2 and Tua 11.3 took the air from Metchie’s game. Blame the QB or the scheme or both, but Metchie was neutered into a glorified Amendola when I feel his talent level much more aligns with Stefon Diggs in a perfect world. I am not saying Metchie is the next Diggs, but look at the comparison coming out.

Metchie drafted 2.44
5’11 1/4 - 6’0 depending on who measured
187 Pounds
74 3/8” Wingspan
30 5/8” Arms
9 1/4” Hands

4.48 40
Quicker than fast and an excellent route runner.

Diggs drafted 5.146 (such a steal)
6’0
75 3/4” Wingspan
31 1/4” Arms
10 inch hands
4.46 40

And his pre-draft write up stated:

Doesn't possess the strength or long speed to make a living as an outside receiver, but he can be an extremely effective weapon from the slot as a pro, turning short third-down throws into first downs. Diggs can make things happen when he has the ball in his hands and could become a consistent, productive weapon for the right offensive coordinator.

Strengths
  • Fluid, flexible athlete
  • Five-star recruit who stayed home to help build local program
  • Instinctive route runner
  • Does an outstanding job of sinking his hips and exploding out of breaks to create immediate separation
  • Natural ball-plucker
  • Excellent body control to adjust to throws, whether they're low, high or behind him
  • Can make contested catches
  • Dynamic and dangerous with the ball in his hands
  • Sudden once he's in space, using head fakes and impressive lateral change of direction to make multiple defenders miss
  • Instant acceleration is his differentiator from the slot
  • Played through a lacerated kidney he sustained against Penn State and finished the game
  • Can be immediate kick returner in the league
Metchie pre-draft write up:
NFL slot projection with good polish but a lack of noteworthy elements in his game. Metchie has decent size but average play speed. He's proficient in more sophisticated routes but lacks explosiveness to separate and will have to prove he can become a more physical wideout to win contested catches at the pro level. He can play multiple receiver spots and has the ability to take what the scheme provides him. As long as his recovery from an ACL tear goes smoothly, Metchie has a chance to become a starting slot receiver with a relatively modest ceiling.

Strengths
  • Experience running a pro-caliber route tree.
  • Attacks press leverage and defeats it.
  • Route instincts unlock additional moves to get what he needs.
  • Snaps off route breaks at crisp angles.
  • Gets his numbers turned to passer on slants and crossers.
  • Good downfield focus and ball-tracking.
  • Improved his contested-catch success in 2021.
  • Works his way back to the ball on hitches, drive routes.
  • Possesses toughness needed for the job.
  • Talent to add yards after the catch.
To me, this is my best case scenario and why I believe NC traded up to take the best WR on the board before the second run on receivers happened.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
My first year scouting for pay I pounded the table for my agency to try and sign Kupp. I went to James Madison in undergrad and knew that though EW was a “step below” in competition, that Kupp was special. James Madison won the championship his senior season when Youngstown State beat EW in the semis. I was prepared for him to shred JMU in the title game but was thankful he got eliminated. I sat front row for that game and watched my Dukes bring home the title. He was my first true blue “Diamond” hit of a report. I wrote the report the season before he entered the draft, before he shot up draft boards. That man winning the Super Bowl MVP and Offensive POY was my ultimate vindication all these years later.

Close rant / horn blowing on Kupp.

I have went back and forth with @leebigeztx on this since draft night. Metchie as a true freshman barely saw the field because of the talent at Alabama. 4 catches in 4 games while backing up Devonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs III and Jaylen Waddle. This was Tua’s last year. The following year (2020) Metchie was second fiddle (third before Waddle was injured) to Devonta Smith in Mac Jones final year. The offensive coordinator was Steve Sarkisian and Metchie had 55 catches for 916 yards and 6 touchdowns with a 16.7 YPC average. Fast forward one year, and now Mr. BOb, our favorite head ball coach, is the OC of Alabama. We have watched his “schemes” here and know that one individual is the take the top off threat (Fuller Texans / Williams Bama) and one individual is the sticks or first down machine (Hopkins Texans / Metchie Bama).

The average depth of the route BOb had Metchie run was 7.56 yards, the second lowest for an Alabama top 2 WR ever.

from this article. https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2021/11/what-makes-this-alabama-wr-combo-unique.html?outputType=amp

BOb, along with Bryce Young who averaged 8.9 yards per attempt to Mac Jones 11.2 and Tua 11.3 took the air from Metchie’s game. Blame the QB or the scheme or both, but Metchie was neutered into a glorified Amendola when I feel his talent level much more aligns with Stefon Diggs in a perfect world. I am not saying Metchie is the next Diggs, but look at the comparison coming out.

Metchie drafted 2.44
5’11 1/4 - 6’0 depending on who measured
187 Pounds
74 3/8” Wingspan
30 5/8” Arms
9 1/4” Hands

4.48 40
Quicker than fast and an excellent route runner.

Diggs drafted 5.146 (such a steal)
6’0
75 3/4” Wingspan
31 1/4” Arms
10 inch hands
4.46 40

And his pre-draft write up stated:

Metchie pre-draft write up:

To me, this is my best case scenario and why I believe NC traded up to take the best WR on the board before the second run on receivers happened.
I liked Kupp coming out. The one thing that I didn't know about Kupp and dont know about Metchie is, Kupp can run just as fast in the 4th qtr as he does in the 1st qtr. He's got unreal stamina. Hopefully Metchie has this quality as well. His play at Alabama suggests he does.

Last edited:

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Yes they will do much better than the previous short stay regime.

So what who has the better track record Lovie or Culley.

Man y’all think to deep around here sometimes.

Not comparing track records. Culley had no track record as HC.

I thought last year that Lovie was a better coach than Culley, but he wasn't chosen as HC.

Just wondering out loud, Why not then? We all know why he's HC now. What did I miss last year?

I also think Lovie wearing two hats this year is a mistake. As the saying goes " It is what it is".

:coffee:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
And you believe this bunch will do a better job? Really?
there is evidence. Lovie took a bunch of journeyman & put a watchable product on the field.

Frank Ross at least didn’t kill us in field position.

Pep took a third round flyer & broke the Texans rookie passing record with what turned out to be the 2nd best rookie QB of the 2021 draft (at least statistically)

The bottle neck may have been removed by dumping Culley & Kelly (has he got a job yet).

I thought last year that Lovie was a better coach than Culley, but he wasn't chosen as HC.
I had heard (read) that Lovie wasn’t even on Nick’s radar. Culley mentioned him in the interview as a possible DC & Nick called him in to discuss that.

But with the way the last coac search went, who the hill knows?