Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston J Metchie III

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
Why do you dislike this pick or player?
I wouldn't say I dislike him- just that I don't like the value here. He seems like a perfectly fine, ho-hum kind of slot guy. He'll contribute, but I don't think he's ever going to be more than a number 3 that, ideally, you can push to the 4 spot. He runs nice routes, but he's not overly fast, not particularly quick, not big, not a natural hands catcher. I wouldn't say he is weak anywhere, but he doesn't bring any "wow" characteristics for me. Even his route-running (which seems to be the thing people like the most) isn't something I would say he does any better than some other receivers in this class.

But, like I said, I hope I am wrong. And since I wouldn't call myself a scout by any stretch of the imagination, there is a good chance that I am.

Jack Burton

Veteran
Highly polished player. Probably best route runner in draft or in top 2. 96 catches this season and 55 year before in a WR room filled with first round draft picks. This is a ready made starting WR especially if he is available by training camp as suggested.
Yeah, I like the fact he’s just really polished and won’t need to be coached up at all. He’s a plug and play baller.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't say I dislike him- just that I don't like the value here. He seems like a perfectly fine, ho-hum kind of slot guy. He'll contribute, but I don't think he's ever going to be more than a number 3 that, ideally, you can push to the 4 spot. He runs nice routes, but he's not overly fast, not particularly quick, not big, not a natural hands catcher. I wouldn't say he is weak anywhere, but he doesn't bring any "wow" characteristics for me. Even his route-running (which seems to be the thing people like the most) isn't something I would say he does any better than some other receivers in this class.

But, like I said, I hope I am wrong. And since I wouldn't call myself a scout by any stretch of the imagination, there is a good chance that I am.
Not quick? Not overly fast?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Highly polished player. Probably best route runner in draft or in top 2. 96 catches this season and 55 year before in a WR room filled with first round draft picks. This is a ready made starting WR especially if he is available by training camp as suggested.
Speaking of which isn't this the 4th WR out of Alabama this year?

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
Not quick? Not overly fast?
Compared to the average guy? He's incredibly fast and quick. Compared to NFL WRs? Yeah, I don't think he is particularly fast or quick. I wouldn't call him slow, above average sounds about right.

Jack Burton

Veteran
Something like that.. 96 catches would have gotten over 100 if not injured in SEC title game. He is a target hog and chain mover. Exactly the type of WR Texans need. Just hope he makes a full recovery.
Pickens to the Steelers just now. He had an ACL too.
I bet there fans in PITT aren’t whining about it…..

Alex Pierce gone too to INDY.

Looks like Car Stereo read the room correctly…

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Compared to the average guy? He's incredibly fast and quick. Compared to NFL WRs? Yeah, I don't think he is particularly fast or quick. I wouldn't call him slow, above average sounds about right.
his quickness and route running will be above average & make him a complete mismatch for most teams’ nickel cb….which is what i think he’ll be facing most of the time.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Thinking about washouts got me looking back at past Texans drafts. It's some hard reality to confront. 2013 and 2014 are especially bad, and the ones after aren't much better.

Houston Texans draft history - Wikipedia
For what it's worth 2013 was historically bad for the league at large..

At least we came out with one of the rare studs from that one, of course we traded him for a bologna sandwich, so..

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Ran a pro style system, good hand and speed. IMO too small. Scouting reports are mixed about him looking smaller than he is! I would have gone RB. A slot WR not even 6' not feeling it