Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston David Culley, Head Coach

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
NO, but maybe be honest and say we mhave some challenges in front of us etc...maybe attempt to answer the question asked. Simple **** like who hired Lovie, answer: how great a coach he was and how lucky were are to have him. How about a follow up: How lucky we are to have him? He bombed in his last two jobs?!? Why do you say we're lucky to have him?
“He’s a great coach and if you don’t think so that’s your opinion. Oh and by the way you might want to take a good look around the room because this is the last time you’ll be in it.”

You have a funny idea that reporters are there to get to the truth and hold their feet to the fire. These aren’t investigative journalists these are local sports writers and if the team blackballs them from access then they might as well move.

wildroot

Rookie
“He’s a great coach and if you don’t think so that’s your opinion. Oh and by the way you might want to take a good look around the room because this is the last time you’ll be in it.”

You have a funny idea that reporters are there to get to the truth and hold their feet to the fire. These aren’t investigative journalists these are local sports writers and if the team blackballs them from access then they might as well move.
Highly doubt JMc would get barred, he's too much of an institution in these parts, nationally too.

Look, don't take me so literal, I'm not saying to use my words, soften it up, but get an answer to your question, don't let him off the hook. And if he answers as if Lovie is the best thing since sliced bread, just ask what's he done lately to justify that.
NY Sports reporters wouldn't have let that go!

I'd rather of had Wade anyway, but hell, justify your guy!

Last edited:

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

press conference will post houstontexans.com at some point
Transcript

Video

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member

podcast...Huddle and flow at some point today

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
Culley is so much better in this extended conversation format than a highly staged, orchestrated Texans press conference.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I just watched this Culley interview and I believe it's the 1st one of I've watched of him. Not very impressive but not very controversial either. Hopefully the character coach for the Texans will work with him on his staged press conference Q&A sessions.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Every answer he gave concerning Watson was along the lines of he doesn't know about any chatter or news outside the bldg concerning DW4, but inside the bldg fairy dust is blowing and he's a member in good standing with the Houston Texans! It's all good in H-Town!
I was disappointed in the questions and lack of any follow-up, none of his answers were ever challenged. I expected more from McClain.
Why would you expect more from Mcclain knowing his history?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Highly doubt JMc would get barred, he's too much of an institution in these parts, nationally too.

Look, don't take me so literal, I'm not saying to use my words, soften it up, but get an answer to your question, don't let him off the hook. And if he answers as if Lovie is the best thing since sliced bread, just ask what's he done lately to justify that.
NY Sports reporters wouldn't have let that go!

I'd rather of had Wade anyway, but hell, justify your guy!
Again you have a funny idea about things. First yeah they would bar someone that is making things difficult for them. Hell reporters get barred from White House press conferences and those are about issues that actually matter. Pancakes has been an institution as well and they have happily given him the cold shoulder more than once. Second, you are assuming that they allow a follow up question, this isn't a one on one interview and every question you ask is one that one of your peers doesn't get to ask. So if you try to take up all the time then Texans may not even have to say anything to you, other outlets would do it for them. Third they don't have to justify anything, they are not a publicly traded company with investors, they are not a govt. entity with voters and they are not on some kind of trial. They don't have to justify anything but even if they do then any justification fine because they are privately owned, if they say "We brought in about 5 candidates and gave all of them a Where's Waldo book and he found him first and thats why we hired him" guess what thats good enough. You don't have to spend money on the team or watch them and that is your right but that doesn't mean you have any say or control.

Personally I wish all teams were more like GB in that the city more or less owns the team. Think its one reason why Packers fans are so die hard and so invested in the team, they truly feel its their team and in many ways it is.

Last edited:

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I like the guy and the energy he brings, the dude always seems so happy. Hard not to like a guy that just puts off such positive energy. I can see why players like him, already like him better than butt chin.
From I've seen and heard I like him too. Personality wise kinda the opposite of O'brien who reeked of being an A-hole and bully-type guy however this guy is cool, likable and easy going with a positive attitude.
Now what kind of NFL HC will he be ? Who knows at this point ? But I am totally 100% open-minded on him right now.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Some people man....judging dude on such a piss poor press conference ........from the media’s perspective. dude was bombarded with the same question asked 56788457 different ways. So stupid from the media given that A, he wasn’t gonna give you anything that he and DW4 spoke about ...I mean that was obvious before this PC & they should’ve known that, B, even if he did know the particulars of what the FO plans to do (which I think he has an idea as does the rest of the world) he wasn’t gonna tell and C, do these dudes not listen to each other’s questions?

The reality of it is, if they already know what DW4 has had his people leak out/tell, why in the everlasting %^*# are they asking Culley a million and 1 questions about it? We’re they expecting him to just **** on DW4? It’s so stupid & I’ll never understand why the media ever does this kinda stuff.

He probably wanted to snap on those f%#^ers in his 1st PC...at the end of the day there are other things happening with this team besides what’s not happening with DW4. It’s been 2 months already, they need to move on until something new and significant happens...tired of hearing about this ****....Ask questions about THE TEXANS football team.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I like the guy and the energy he brings, the dude always seems so happy. Hard not to like a guy that just puts off such positive energy. I can see why players like him, already like him better than butt chin.
That happy face will become annoying when he tries to spin positive platitudes for a 14 loss season. ;)

I don't have a problem with David Culley, the man and the position coach. I just don't believe he is ever expected to be the HC that wins championships, which is kind of the entire point of a team's existence (in theory, at least).

Texansballer74

The Marine

Poor coach. Yes that was screwed up throwing coach to the wolves like that. Nick should’ve addressed them first verse going on the radio. Lol

Texansballer74

The Marine
Of course they will have him dead last. This is his first head coaching job and to add to the fire. A bad team with no talent. According to the media and 90% of our fan base. Lol

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Of course they will have him dead last. This is his first head coaching job and to add to the fire. A bad team with no talent. According to the media and 90% of our fan base. Lol
Dammit…..what happened to wait and see? Ducking crystal ball and tarot card reading crowd sure think their visions are spot on. I’m comfortable in the wait and see crowd.

Dejaview

All Pro
There will be a young asst coach like Kubiak/McVay that will willing to take the HC job. Caserio just has to get the right guy.
While a agree that this job will never be attractive as long as Kyle is in charge since he doesn’t exist, I don’t think this organization will have attracting any coach based on the current ownership of the Texans. I believe NC is going to be that good.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Dammit…..what happened to wait and see? Ducking crystal ball and tarot card reading crowd sure think their visions are spot on. I’m comfortable in the wait and see crowd.
Is there a middle ground for fans (short for fanatics) of a team message board?

Why can't we just have our opinions and argue them w/o the labels? "Doom and gloom", "negative Nancy's", "crystal ball readers"... I know some are more negative than others but to cover a blanket over anyone that doesn't ascribe to a certain way of thinking about the team and the direction it's going...at least respond to those statements you disagree with. And here's one...

The article I posted is naturally an op-ed. That said, the author made a good point about Culley. Forget about the age factor. His track record as a QB/WR coach isn't good. He was Baltimore's passing game coordinator last season and as such the Ravens were dead last in that category.

Culley's resume is weak. It really doesn't take a deep dive to see that. So why did they hire him? If it was only because he was the antithesis of O'Brien, mission accomplished. But is that a good reason to hire someone to lead your team?

I'm hoping he turns out to be a better head coach than he was a position coach. If he is, I'll be happily surprised.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Man Houston football fans are by far the worst. I use to argue that we weren’t. But after all this nonsense that’s going, these jokers want the McNairs to sell the team. They’re not purchasing any tickets. So my question is would it be best if we just didn’t have a professional football team? The Astros was in the dump for a many of years. But their fan base stayed loyal.

Last edited:

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Is there a middle ground for fans (short for fanatics) of a team message board?

Why can't we just have our opinions and argue them w/o the labels? "Doom and gloom", "negative Nancy's", "crystal ball readers"... I know some are more negative than others but to cover a blanket over anyone that doesn't ascribe to a certain way of thinking about the team and the direction it's going...at least respond to those statements you disagree with. And here's one...

The article I posted is naturally an op-ed. That said, the author made a good point about Culley. Forget about the age factor. His track record as a QB/WR coach isn't good. He was Baltimore's passing game coordinator last season and as such the Ravens were dead last in that category.

Culley's resume is weak. It really doesn't take a deep dive to see that. So why did they hire him? If it was only because he was the antithesis of O'Brien, mission accomplished. But is that a good reason to hire someone to lead your team?

I'm hoping he turns out to be a better head coach than he was a position coach. If he is, I'll be happily surprised.
I don't care about what others think of my low expectations. I've watched decades of pro football and my own analysis is based on NFL history. There is no amount of koolaide or pom pom waving or bobblehead giveaways that's going to make me less objective.

There is no need to get emotional, but folks get so wrapped up in their sports teams that it becomes part of their identity, so any perceived slight becomes a personal insult. I detached myself from all of that emotional connection after 35-3, but to each his/her own. I've got real world problems to deal with and this mediocre sports team is not one of them.

It's just entertainment at the end of the day, and nobody needs to get butthurt if I don't think that it'll be much of an entertaining product in 2021. I don't care if folks are 100% sunshine about it, either. I don't feel the need to belittle them for it.

Man Houston football fans are by far the worst. I use to argue that we weren’t. But after all this nonsense that’s going, these jokers want the McNairs to sell the team. They’re not purchasing any tickets. So my question is would it be best if we just didn’t have a professional football team? The Astros was in the dump for a many of years. But their fan base stayed loyal.
The Astros had a LOT of empty seats during those multiple 100+ loss seasons. We'd get the cheap tickets and sit anywhere we wanted. Nobody was there except maybe 5000 fans.

As far as Houston football fans, some of us are just tired of 6+ decades of crappy owners. We had a brief respite when it was perceived that Bob McNair might be different, but it turns out it was meet the new boss, same as the old boss in many fundamental meddling ways.

This fanbase has 100% supported this franchise for two decades with consecutive season ticket sales. This is the first year that the Texans have struggled to sell season tickets. It has nothing to do with fans and everything to do with a seriously dysfunctional and inept front office and owner.

OptimisticTexan

I don't care about what others think of my low expectations. I've watched decades of pro football and my own analysis is based on NFL history. There is no amount of koolaide or pom pom waving or bobblehead giveaways that's going to make me less objective.

There is no need to get emotional, but folks get so wrapped up in their sports teams that it becomes part of their identity, so any perceived slight becomes a personal insult. I detached myself from all of that emotional connection after 35-3, but to each his/her own. I've got real world problems to deal with and this mediocre sports team is not one of them.

It's just entertainment at the end of the day, and nobody needs to get butthurt if I don't think that it'll be much of an entertaining product in 2021. I don't care if folks are 100% sunshine about it, either. I don't feel the need to belittle them for it.

The Astros had a LOT of empty seats during those multiple 100+ loss seasons. We'd get the cheap tickets and sit anywhere we wanted. Nobody was there except maybe 5000 fans.

As far as Houston football fans, some of us are just tired of 6+ decades of crappy owners. We had a brief respite when it was perceived that Bob McNair might be different, but it turns out it was meet the new boss, same as the old boss in many fundamental meddling ways.

This fanbase has 100% supported this franchise for two decades with consecutive season ticket sales. This is the first year that the Texans have struggled to sell season tickets. It has nothing to do with fans and everything to do with a seriously dysfunctional and inept front office and owner.
Difference between the Astros and Texans:

Astros had a plan for re-building the organization from the top to bottom and executed it to the tee. I was 100% behind this move b/c there was a plan in place and shifted my attention to watching the MiLB system to be knowledgeable on the players coming through. The Astros delivered the goods.

The Texans should’ve asked Crane to mentor so they to could come up with a direction for the organization. Instead they hung on Jerry Jones for direction……and exactly what has Jones done with the Cowboys since Jimmy Johnson left? They’re not even “America’s Team” any longer, just a mid-level NFL organization that can’t seem to make the next step. McNair’s have successfully run their organization to the level of mediocre and to a current status of bottom dweller’s for 20+ years. Maybe Caserio is the one who’ll finally right this ship with a far better plan…..just have to wait and see.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Exactly the first year. So instead of completely jumping off ship. Meaning wanting the team out of Houston. That's why I asked will it best not to have a team period. I'm not talking about you DB because you've expressed your position. But good grief some of these fans are unappreciated.

banned1976

sleeper mode

To be honest, I wish I still have the same passion for local sports teams that I had as a young man. I feel that that youthful exuberance was a positive aspect in my life. I took pride in knowing not only the batting order of the Houston Astros on any given day but also the successes and setbacks of some of the farm team talent. I enjoyed sitting down on a Saturday to "scout" potential Oilers/Texans draft picks.

Oh well. Like you, I have a lot going on right now so unless I'm checking in on this board I'm not thinking about the Texans. If I was to take a guess, I think this board is how I found out how they did in about 60% of the games last year. That'll probably go up to 75-80% this season. I'm working fulltime again and just signed up for 3 classes in the Fall.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I’ve seen worst from other organizations. And it hasn’t been 20 straight years of that.
Houston has always been a front running fan base. The Texans get back to a competitive franchise the fans will support them better than ever. Like they did with the Luv ya Blue teams of the late '70's. Houston had been a sucky franchise until Bum was hired, then him getting fired and the later 35-3 so disillusioned the fan base that they have never recovered. Moving the team cost more fans. Getting a new team gave some hope for awhile, but 20 years of suck has sucked even that out of most

edit: Sorry but it sounded better in my head... there's just no way to put 40 years of frustration in a few words

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’ve seen worst from other organizations. And it hasn’t been 20 straight years of that.
Just because the Texans have made the playoffs a few times doesn't mean ownership hasn't been bad. When you're comparing yourself to bad franchises and saying things like, well atleast we aren't as bad as the NYJ, then you know ownership isn't really committed to bringing a championship to Kirby.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Just because the Texans have made the playoffs a few times doesn't mean ownership hasn't been bad. When you're comparing yourself to bad franchises and saying things like, well atleast we aren't as bad as the NYJ, then you know ownership isn't really committed to bringing a championship to Kirby.
I know there are some people who think if you do this, or you do that, you’ll win a championship.

But I think history shows it’s not that easy. Anyone who says they know, don’t.

The Patriots did it one way, the Steelers another. The Cowboys another. But I’ll take odds none of those teams will win a championship in 2021 even though their front offices & coaching staffs are full of people who have & therefore “know” how.

imo, comparing our team to the dozens of other teams doesn’t show a lack of commitment. Spending the money they’ve spent on Osweiler, to get rid of Osweiler, Watson, Tunsil, and a bunch of other players is evidence to their commitment.

but comparing our team to perennial losers just acknowledges who we are. I’m not delusional about this team. I didn’t become a Texans fan because they were the most winningest team in the league.

in all honesty, I became a fan of this team because of what this board was like in 2006. I wasn’t a fan before then.

OptimisticTexan

The Texans have the following history even while selecting FO personnel, coaches, players, and spending money:

GM & FO Personnel: Bad
HC & Position Coaches: Mediocre to Bad
Money & Contracts: Bad
Players: Mediocre to Bad

Pretty much sums up the failures for the past 20+ years.

I like the wholesale changes for 2021 and only hope there is a serious plan of attack from the Caserio team going forward. I’m under no delusions for the upcoming season but only have a desire to see a competitive team with no quit on the field. 2021 should be an 18 week Pre-Season with players trying to secure spots for the 2022 roster.

2022 should finally be an exciting point for Texans fans since the team will possess their picks, should add a decent bounty of additional picks via trades, see some breathing room with the cap to pursue FA’s, and the players that secured spots on the roster.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I know there are some people who think if you do this, or you do that, you’ll win a championship.

But I think history shows it’s not that easy. Anyone who says they know, don’t.

The Patriots did it one way, the Steelers another. The Cowboys another. But I’ll take odds none of those teams will win a championship in 2021 even though their front offices & coaching staffs are full of people who have & therefore “know” how.

imo, comparing our team to the dozens of other teams doesn’t show a lack of commitment. Spending the money they’ve spent on Osweiler, to get rid of Osweiler, Watson, Tunsil, and a bunch of other players is evidence to their commitment.

but comparing our team to perennial losers just acknowledges who we are. I’m not delusional about this team. I didn’t become a Texans fan because they were the most winningest team in the league.

in all honesty, I became a fan of this team because of what this board was like in 2006. I wasn’t a fan before then.
Liked for the last sentence in this post.

As far as the 1st part of the post, let them bring a few Lombardi's down on Kirby then we can compare.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The Texans have the following history even while selecting FO personnel, coaches, players, and spending money:

GM & FO Personnel: Bad
HC & Position Coaches: Mediocre to Bad
Money & Contracts: Bad
Players: Mediocre to Bad

Pretty much sums up the failures for the past 20+ years.

I like the wholesale changes for 2021 and only hope there is a serious plan of attack from the Caserio team going forward. I’m under no delusions for the upcoming season but only have a desire to see a competitive team with no quit on the field. 2021 should be an 18 week Pre-Season with players trying to secure spots for the 2022 roster.

2022 should finally be an exciting point for Texans fans since the team will possess their picks, should add a decent bounty of additional picks via trades, see some breathing room with the cap to pursue FA’s, and the players that secured spots on the roster.
Add bad ownership to the list at #1 and bad GM/FO personnel at #2 and it explains why all of the rest of the bad things are on the list. BTW, I agree about bad contracts, that falls on the GM and Olson. I cant believe some here are clamouring for Olson. LMAO

Texian

Hall of Fame
Add bad ownership to the list at #1 and bad GM/FO personnel at #2 and it explains why all of the rest of the bad things are on the list. BTW, I agree about bad contracts, that falls on the GM and Olson. I cant believe some here are clamouring for Olson. LMAO
Because sometimes Olson was doing exactly what GM O'Brien was telling him to do, that's why. Using history as a guide, many contracts Olson has negotiated over the years as a Texan were some of the more salary cap friendly contracts negotiated in the NFL. In that regards Olson was an MVP. That's also why the Atlanta Falcons snapped him up rickytic. It's one thing to be Bob McNair's salary cap specialist and it's something totally different to be Cal McNair/Jack Easterby/Bill O'Brien/Nick Caserio's salary cap specialist.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Because sometimes Olson was doing exactly what GM O'Brien was telling him to do, that's why. Using history as a guide, many contracts Olson has negotiated over the years as a Texan were some of the more salary cap friendly contracts negotiated in the NFL. In that regards Olson was an MVP. That's also why the Atlanta Falcons snapped him up rickytic. It's one thing to be Bob McNair's salary cap specialist and it's something totally different to be Cal McNair/Jack Easterby/Bill O'Brien/Nick Caserio's salary cap specialist.
The Olson type of cap mgmt as yielded how many championships and how long has Olson been on the job not only with the Texans org but before he joined the Texans?

I'm glad there was a housecleaning, I just wish Easterby had been a part of the housecleaning.

I also know that when people are doing wrong in their jobs nobody likes the hatchet man and will go to great lengths to try to destroy the hatchet man.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Houston has always been a front running fan base. The Texans get back to a competitive franchise the fans will support them better than ever. Like they did with the Luv ya Blue teams of the late '70's. Houston had been a sucky franchise until Bum was hired, then him getting fired and the later 35-3 so disillusioned the fan base that they have never recovered. Moving the team cost more fans. Getting a new team gave some hope for awhile, but 20 years of suck has sucked even that out of most

edit: Sorry but it sounded better in my head... there's just no way to put 40 years of frustration in a few words
QFT regarding the very 1st sentence. One thing I’ve always hated about being a fan here…way too much front running with this city’s fan base…& the excuse that we’ve sucked so long doesn’t really fly IMO either…some here act like every other teams’ fan base are winning and competitive every year.Only 1 team wins it every year and 15-20 years of a franchise not really being in the mix for a championship is fairly common.