Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston David Culley, Head Coach

Earl34

Hall of Fame
That article tells me that Reid was never going to make Culley the OC or QB coach. And the assistant HC title was honorary. Reid sees Culley as a loyal position coach.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Exactly. I'm not sure if Culley's career reflects the point the article is trying to make. Culley was Reid's WR coach for 14 years, but Reid preferred hiring a 34 year old Nagy as QB coach than promote the 57 year old Culley to be his QB coach? Later, Culley leaves Reid to be the Bills' QB coach, but left after one year to join the Ravens as a WR and assistant HC and the same role he had with the Chiefs?

You would think the opportunity to develop Josh Allen would be a resume booster. Yet, he stayed one year? What am I missing?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Exactly. I'm not sure if Culley's career reflects the point the article is trying to make. Culley was Reid's WR coach for 14 years, but Reid preferred hiring a 34 year old Nagy as QB coach than promote the 57 year old Culley to be his QB coach? Later, Culley leaves Reid to be the Bills' QB coach, but left after one year to join the Ravens as a WR and assistant HC and the same role he had with the Chiefs?

You would think the opportunity to develop Josh Allen would be a resume booster. Yet, he stayed one year? What am I missing?
Josh Allen isn’t actually that good so a resume booster becomes a career killer? Plus even if it was the same title as with the chiefs the responsibilities and job role could have been different. Either way if his goal was to ultimately be a HC then he made the right choices because for better or worse he is one.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Josh Allen isn’t actually that good so a resume booster becomes a career killer? Plus even if it was the same title as with the chiefs the responsibilities and job role could have been different. Either way if his goal was to ultimately be a HC then he made the right choices because for better or worse he is one.
Yep. He reached his goal by getting one HC interview when he's 65 years old. A three-toed sloth with a goal of climbing a redwood tree would be proud at how long it took to get one HC interview. I guess better late than never.:smiliedance:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Say what? :um:

Do you actually watch the NFL? lol :hmmm:
Not saying he isn’t good but I’ve not seen anything that sets him that much apart from a lot of other QBs. To me he’s another danger zone QB like Stanford, Geoff or Romo, good enough you don’t really want to replace him but not good enough to elevate the rest of the team to new heights.

Not saying I wouldn’t want him on our team but if I’m an NFL QB coach with the goal of being a HC, Allen and the Bills would be a hard sell for me to bet my hopes and dreams on.

Last edited:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Yep. He reached his goal by getting one HC interview when he's 65 years old. A three-toed sloth with a goal of climbing a redwood tree would be proud at how long it took to get one HC interview. I guess better late than never.:smiliedance:
Near as I can tell he only ever been given one chance to interview. I’ve known lots of people that one chance was all they’ve needed but for various reasons not all in their control, they never got that chance. Also these are not normal jobs, there are only 32 of them in the world and the timing of when they come open is completely unpredictable.

Plus much of Culley’s career took place before the Rooney Rule and after it he was pretty up there in age. I’m not saying his race stopped him, we’ll never know, but it could have played a factor. Certainly when compared to a guy like EB who’s career is after the rule and he has been interviewed by every HC needing team for 3 years and still won’t be hired it makes you wonder.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Not saying he isn’t good but I’ve not seen anything that sets him that much apart from a lot of other QBs. To me he’s another danger zone QB like Stanford, Geoff or Luck, good enough you don’t really want to replace him but not good enough to elevate the rest of the team to new heights.

Not saying I wouldn’t want him on our team but if I’m an NFL QB coach with the goal of being a HC, Allen and the Bills would be a hard sell for me to bet my hopes and dreams on.
Damn man. QB analysis around here is pretty whack. Bills aren't even relevant without Allen.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Damn man. QB analysis around here is pretty whack. Bills aren't even relevant without Allen.
Right you just proved my point. If I'm trying to advance my career as an NFL coach then I would far rather hitch my wagon to Harbough and the Ravens than the Bills with or without Allen.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Right you just proved my point. If I'm trying to advance my career as an NFL coach then I would far rather hitch my wagon to Harbough and the Ravens than the Bills with or without Allen.
Unless you think you're someone who can improve where they're lacking, and get them over the hump. I think that would do more proving my worth as a HC.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Unless you think you're someone who can improve where they're lacking, and get them over the hump. I think that would do more proving my worth as a HC.
Depends on what the problem is, Texans brought in one of the best QB coaches of all time and it didnt help Watson. Could be it was partly Watson but even the best QB coach can't make a QB look good in a bad scheme or with a bad team.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Depends on what the problem is, Texans brought in one of the best QB coaches of all time and it didnt help Watson. Could be it was partly Watson but even the best QB coach can't make a QB look good in a bad scheme or with a bad team.
Well, you just proved my point. With the Texans it’s a little harder because OB just destroyed everything that was here. But if you’re looking at Buffalo, I look at where they’re lacking and go from there. I feel like I’ve got the QB there, got the receivers, appear to have a stud TE, I just need to figure out where they need to improve.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yet look where the Ravens are today with LJ.

Running QB's get hurt. Time caught up to LJ this yr and I doubt the Ravens make the playoffs.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Or maybe the QB wasn't all that to begin with.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Your point doesn’t stand because he did not get hurt running the ball. You do know pocket passer get hurt too.
I know which type QB's last longer in the NFL and which type QB's have the rings and it ain't the Derrick type.

I really don't want to talk about this subject anymore. Everybody knows how I feel. So I really don't have anything more to add.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I know which type QB's last longer in the NFL and which type QB's have the rings and it ain't the Derrick type.

I really don't want to talk about this subject anymore. Everybody knows how I feel. So I really don't have anything more to add.
Not necessarily true because I’ve seen pocket passers get hurt a lot too. Matt Schaub comes to mind.

Last edited: