Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston David Culley, Head Coach

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
So success or failure matters less than the process used? I'd rather see a successful "out of the box" hire than a failure brought about by "consensus".
I get the wait and see attitude. We don’t know if this is the out of the box home run, or a huge dud. They could have hired me for going out of the box, and how do we think that would have worked out?

Culley could be the greatest hire ever, we don’t know. What we do know is there’s a coach who’s been in the NFL for 27 years, never been in the conversation for HC, and BAM, all of a sudden he’s the HC of a football team that’s one of the biggest jokes in the league right now.

All these red flags people post here about Bieniemy and why he hasn’t been hired after all his interviews, but we’re supposed to be OK with a guy who’s never even been considered a candidate?

Only the Texans.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Culley, a Tennessee native and the first Black quarterback in Vanderbilt history, was one of only two candidates to have been interviewed twice by general manager Nick Caserio. Buffalo defensive coordinator and assistant head coach Leslie Frazier was interviewed on Jan. 26, followed by Culley on the next day.
Culley, 65, has coached in the NFL since 1994 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Philadelphia Eagles, Kansas City Chiefs, and Buffalo Bills. Throughout that span, he has never served as a coordinator or head coach but specialized in coaching offensive skill positions. However, he was the assistant head coach to Andy Reid in Kansas City from 2013-2016.

Culley is not only a bro turns out he's also a bro who broke a significant racial barrier at a prominent SEC University and if that doesn't make DW4 happy I dunno what will ?
He's already stipulated he wants Kelley to be his OC and that wouldn't work if the Texans brought in an alleged offensive guru like EB would it ?
IMO what Watson is really all bout on this whole matter is hiring a minority this coaching cycle for the Texans so if he's not happy now well then Caserio should go to work and secure the best terms for him the Texans can in a trade.
Oh BTW our new HC appears to be a seriously committed Christian (aka born again) so we know why ownership is onboard with this hire. If that's what it takes to make them happy, I for one can certainly live with that prerequisite.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
We don't really know that, though, do we? He has mentioned 2 coaches simply because he was asked direct questions about them. He hasn't published his HC Ranked Wishlist to the best of my knowledge.
We don’t know anything. The people who have sources don’t know anything. But it’s not a stretch to think that the coordinator on the leagues top offense (that Watson mentioned by name) would be higher on his wish list than a 65 year old WR coach.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They were conservative and outdated when Smith was in the NFL.

Let’s not pretend these assistant coaches are Culley hires. The Texans brought Smith in for an interview before they offered Culley the HC job. These assistants are being foisted on Culley. He is not choosing the offense or defense that will be run. Can you imagine any other situation like this in the NFL? The Texans are taking dysfunction to unseen heights.
I'm thinking when the Steelers hired Mike Tomlin.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Culley could be the greatest hire ever, we don’t know. What we do know is there’s a coach who’s been in the NFL for 27 years, never been in the conversation for HC, and BAM, all of a sudden he’s the HC of a football team that’s one of the biggest jokes in the league right now.

All these red flags people post here about Bieniemy and why he hasn’t been hired after all his interviews, but we’re supposed to be OK with a guy who’s never even been considered a candidate?
Would you have been ok with a guy like Joe Brady or Brandon Staley?

I understand there’s a difference between 27 years of experience & none, just not sure why none is better than 27.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Would you have been ok with a guy like Joe Brady or Brandon Staley?

I understand there’s a difference between 27 years of experience & none, just not sure why none is better than 27.
Is there a difference between 27 years of experience and 27 years of experience and never being considered?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Other than being 3 decades younger and stepping into one of the premier organizations in football while replacing a HOF coach...yes, exactly the same.
If we were a premier organization maybe our guy would be 27 years younger.
These assistants are being foisted on Culley. He is not choosing the offense or defense that will be run. Can you imagine any other situation like this in the NFL?
but as far as the offense & defense being “foisted” on the new HC, including the coaches, yeah I can think of a similar situation & it seems to have worked out pretty good for them.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Is there a difference between 27 years of experience and 27 years of experience and never being considered?
He’s been assistant HC by two different organizations. I know it doesn’t mean what it says, but it does mean something. Harbaugh & Reid, the guys he was AHC say it meant a lot.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
If we were a premier organization maybe our guy would be 27 years younger.

but as far as the offense & defense being “foisted” on the new HC, including the coaches, yeah I can think of a similar situation & it seems to have worked out pretty good for them.
Maybe you missed my point. Tomlin was 35, taking over the reigns of a team that was one year removed from a Super Bowl championship, that had a roster full of winning, talented players, and veteran coaches. How in your vivid imagination is that similar to the 2020 Houston Texans?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Maybe you missed my point. Tomlin was 35, taking over the reigns of a team that was one year removed from a Super Bowl championship, that had a roster full of winning, talented players, and veteran coaches. How in your vivid imagination is that similar to the 2020 Houston Texans?
I'm just talking about the coaches being "foisted" on the HC. It has happened before. This is not new & not a sign of dysfunction.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The 2007 Tomlin hiring wasn't a sign of dysfunction. A huge gamble and certainly out of the box, though.

The 2020 Culley situation? A huge red flag of dysfunction.
Maybe, but having a coaching staff in place in need of leadership is not dysfunction. How many HCs did Jim Johnson have, or Dick Lebeau?

The guys we're talking about; Tim Kelly, Lovie Smith, Josh McKown, they're not in the same league as Lebeau & Johnson & that's where the dysfunction lies. But not on the "foisting" of a coaching staff on a new HC.

We did it the other way. HCs bringing in their own staff & that really didn't work either.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
:spit:

You mean the guy that was HC when we just went 4-12. The guy that has lost us a lot of games with the "bend don't break" idea of defense, got to remember covering the Saints to keep them from getting a TD when all they needed was FG range or where all we needed for the number 2 seed was for them to stop Philly 1 time.
He was a really good DC until bill O'brien destroyed the defense.

Culley has never been a good anything in terms of being a coordinator or head coach. He's been a guy who talks to players and runs drills. Fits with Easterby (character coach, mentor) and Caserio (operations guy) who have also never done anything to deserve their current roles.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Culley, a Tennessee native and the first Black quarterback in Vanderbilt history, was one of only two candidates to have been interviewed twice by general manager Nick Caserio. Buffalo defensive coordinator and assistant head coach Leslie Frazier was interviewed on Jan. 26, followed by Culley on the next day.
Culley, 65, has coached in the NFL since 1994 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Philadelphia Eagles, Kansas City Chiefs, and Buffalo Bills. Throughout that span, he has never served as a coordinator or head coach but specialized in coaching offensive skill positions. However, he was the assistant head coach to Andy Reid in Kansas City from 2013-2016.

Culley is not only a bro turns out he's also a bro who broke a significant racial barrier at a prominent SEC University and if that doesn't make DW4 happy I dunno what will ?
He's already stipulated he wants Kelley to be his OC and that wouldn't work if the Texans brought in an alleged offensive guru like EB would it ?
IMO what Watson is really all bout on this whole matter is hiring a minority this coaching cycle for the Texans so if he's not happy now well then Caserio should go to work and secure the best terms for him the Texans can in a trade.
Oh BTW our new HC appears to be a seriously committed Christian (aka born again) so we know why ownership is onboard with this hire. If that's what it takes to make them happy, I for one can certainly live with that prerequisite.
I'm still not buying this minority hiring as a reason. Fine they hired a minority. Will he have control of the roster? Will he be strong enough to tell Easterby to stay out of the locker room? Can he even hire his own staff? With the Patriots, Caserio was in the press box and communicating with the OC. How many HCs would allow that? Can you imagine O'Brien allowing Rick Smith to be communicating with his OC during games?

My point? Simply saying Watson wanted a minority HC misses the bigger picture.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
So, a new coach would -
Have no say in personnel
No say in coordinators
Have to be subservient to Belichick's coffee boy and a glad-handing Jesus freak version of Littlefinger
Have to work for the Jackie Aprile, Jr. of NFL owners

I can't believe they didn't land an elite coach
Didn't land an elite coach and the elite QB should shut up and play along.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
I'd rather have a guy who's never moved beyond positional coach than a guy who's touted as a supposed wunderkind who's the next best thing since sliced bread still not be able to land a head coaching gig after all these years.

This just screams Texans being cheap. I saw nothing last year that said he should stay.
DW4 had a really good season under Tim Kelly. To me it makes sense that they would keep Tim Kelly. While it seems to be a matter of Cal being cheap, I do not think money was any kind of obstacle. Sure there seems to have been better choices for HC and OC but it may just be nobody else wanted any part of our team.

Last edited:
Watson says he should stay. LOL
Statistically,Watson had his best season in 2020/2021. He did so with a defense that did little to nothing to help him win games and his top weapon being traded away! The offense may not have looked as good as we would have liked,but the stats do not lie. Tim Kelly did an admirable job with DW4 and the offense. Fix the defense and by the 2022/2023 season we could be back in the playoffs. I hope David Culley, the coaching staff and any player additions can improve us rather quickly.

I think that Easterby remaining with our team and having too much power is the reason DW4 wants out. It will be interesting to officially find out why he is so upset.

Last edited:
Statistically,Watson had his best season in 2020/2021. He did so with a defense that did little to nothing to help him win games. The offense may not have looked as good as we would have liked,but the stats do not lie. Tim Kelly did an admirable job with DW4 and the offense. Fix the defense and by the 2022-2023 season we could be back in the playoffs. I hope David Culley, the coaching staff and any player additions can improve us rather quickly.

I think that Easterby remaining with our team and having too much power is the reason DW4 wants out. It will be interesting to officially find out why he is so upset.
finally some positivity