Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston CJ Stroud

Joining Coleridge on stage and playing the spoons is Juice Scruggs with their trusty classic “Sunday Morning Grits”

Trouble with juice was, he was always late. He never could get off the trucker pills and he had a suspicious past. Everytime he hit those drum heads, those who knew him best cringed.

It reminded us all of his violent criminal past.

Trouble with juice was, he was always late. He never could get off the trucker pills and he had a suspicious past. Everytime he hit those drum heads, those who knew him best cringed.

It reminded us all of his violent criminal past.

E.P.I.C.! Write it brutha!

Their show started late that night in a small Texas panhandle town. Rain began to cascade down in a hard rhythm on the roof when Coleridge started playing his beat up guitar and crooning like always.

His voice began to cut up and scratch hoarsely in the first few minutes of their performance though. He'd been fighting the flu for a few days now and his vocals had grown rough like sandpaper.

After the second song, they all looked at one another in desperation wondering how they could continue on. Most folks in the ever expanding crowd cried for more and some had driven hours to see them. Coleridge's legend had grown.

The hardwood floors beneath them began to shake as the crowd grew more and more demanding. Juice and Coleridge wondered in terror how to go on when they heard a lusty voice call out to them from the front row.

"Maybe I can lend a hand boys?"

A sultry brunette said it with such conviction and presence they couldn't help but let her. She stepped onstage grabbing the microphone from him and paused. She brushed his arm seductively to ease his nerves and the band began pounding out the 3rd song of the night.

Hannah McNair sang deep and swooned the crowd with an unexpected surprise. Her voice gave light to the night and the band soon followed her every que.

Deep in the distance of the crowd one face didn't cheer. One shadowy face sneered crooked in the shadows.

Jack used to be apart of the band. He wasn’t anymore and he wanted revenge.

Last edited:
Desire and conviction was not Jack’s shortcoming; it was his inability to sing that prompted Coleridge and Juice to leave him behind that rainy night at the Blue Front Cafe in Bentonia. They were nearly caught as the van was pulling out of the rain slicked parking lot but Jack was not able to finish pulling up his pants after a quick wiz and fell face first in the warm Mississippi mud.

Surely Jack knew he did not have the requisite talent to be a blues singer. His awkward and forced dance moves on stage served only to distract from his off-key and flat singing voice. Coleridge and Juice were embarrassed for him but the final straw was Jack blowing the words to the chorus of “Cheatin‘ on the Moon”, one of their fan favorite staples. It was too much.

Jack could remember the taste of the mud as he slowly got up from his chair to confront ole Coleridge and Juice.

By the time they'd finished on stage the crowd and weather outside alike were in a torrential roar. They nailed it in what each considered their best live performance ever.

Backstage Coleridge gentlemanly helped Hannah down the stairs while Juice and the other band mates crowded around her.

"You were amazing. That voice is sugar in my ear."

Hannah gave a big dimpled smile and blushed. "I've been following you guys for a long time. I've got a really catchy background vocal for "cheatin" if you care to hear it?"

She'd begun to hum it in angelic tones when a door behind them crashed open.

Jack was there soaking wet from the rain. Maybe it's fair to say his face was just as wet with tears as it was rain ,but accounts differ. What all agree on though was the revolver in his shaky hand pointed at Coleridge.

The giant steel blue muzzle hovered inches away from him as they all fell silent. Jack's breath heaved as words he wanted to say should've come out but didn't. He pulled the trigger and the hammer came down with a dull click.

Misfire.

Coleridge ushered Hannah away to safety as Juice lept on him. Scruggs beat those drums hard that night.

No one's heard from Jack since.

Last edited:
The morning sunlight managed to encroach through the window blinds revealing the fresh paint on the walls at the Sunset Value Motel. That same sunlight was not as charitable to a still sleeping Hannah as she rolled over to shield her eyes from the unwelcome brightness that threatened her slumber. Coleridge lay in bed beside her with a throbbing pain coursing through his head and a demanding strain on his bladder that forced him out of bed. The floor seemed to be moving as Coleridge navigated his way to the bathroom. Leaning against the wall, he managed to pull down his boxers and with considerable effort was able to aim with surprising accuracy to relieve himself.

Recollection of the night before begin to come into focus for Coleridge as he eased back into bed.

He rubbed his eyes as he looked at the brunette in bed with him. This must be Hannah he thought to himself. Her piercing blue eyes were dulled by the dim light, and her morning breath instantly reminded him of the whiskey and tequila from the night before. Her long brown hair was matted and draped across most of her face. This was not the beautiful woman he was so enchanted by only a few hours ago.

His dismay was harshly interrupted by her phone ringing on the night stand. Coleridge glanced at her phone as Hannah grappled through the sheets reaching for it. All he saw before she finally grabbed to answer was the name on the caller ID.

"CAL"

I don’t know where I stand on the Mulughetta issue, I certainly see more talk about that and character than about the fact that CJ was a polished athlete, a great prospect coming out, an immediate upgrade at the most important position with room to develop. That will all come down to coaching.

If things go well, this team probably has a year for CJ to find his feet, and opens a Super Bowl window next season when the we have ammunition to add the elite receiver, a really good ILB.

Then it will be more important to see how the production line of the lower picks is working out, are those guys getting coached up?

If you have any confidence in this coaching staff (and I think you are barking up the wrong tree if you are spending your leisure time following this team and can’t muster optimism at this point) then that is the road map for success, any contract issues and ‘hostage taking’ negotiations would come at the very end of that Super Bowl window for the majority of top QBs who’s own contracts begin to detract from the team around them at that point anyway.

So I’m not well up on college football, CJ is a QB that can make all the throws, right? Bit Of a departure from what has worked for Kubes/Shanny in that he has more physical tools and less proof of the processing, but we have a coaching staff that seem like great teachers who should be able to bring him along. is that a fair assessment?

I don’t know where I stand on the Mulughetta issue, I certainly see more talk about that and character than about the fact that CJ was a polished athlete, a great prospect coming out, an immediate upgrade at the most important position with room to develop. That will all come down to coaching.

If things go well, this team probably has a year for CJ to find his feet, and opens a Super Bowl window next season when the we have ammunition to add the elite receiver, a really good ILB.

Then it will be more important to see how the production line of the lower picks is working out, are those guys getting coached up?

If you have any confidence in this coaching staff (and I think you are barking up the wrong tree if you are spending your leisure time following this team and can’t muster optimism at this point) then that is the road map for success, any contract issues and ‘hostage taking’ negotiations would come at the very end of that Super Bowl window for the majority of top QBs who’s own contracts begin to detract from the team around them at that point anyway.

So I’m not well up on college football, CJ is a QB that can make all the throws, right? Bit Of a departure from what has worked for Kubes/Shanny in that he has more physical tools and less proof of the processing, but we have a coaching staff that seem like great teachers who should be able to bring him along. is that a fair assessment?
Agents work for the players. If CJ enjoys it, gets developed, has weapons, has a run of success, yes he will want paid, but can be like Mahommes is and gets paid but works with the team because his success and happiness also come from the team. DW4 weaponized his NTC because of his off field stuff and to be honest the way careers at the Texans were wasted due to mismanagement. So it is on the Texans to create one of the best places to be, so players don't ask their agents to get me out of here. We know when asked, big M is good at pushing buttons to get his players out, but let's not have the players ask eh?

The morning sunlight managed to encroach through the window blinds revealing the fresh paint on the walls at the Sunset Value Motel. That same sunlight was not as charitable to a still sleeping Hannah as she rolled over to shield her eyes from the unwelcome brightness that threatened her slumber. Coleridge lay in bed beside her with a throbbing pain coursing through his head and a demanding strain on his bladder that forced him out of bed. The floor seemed to be moving as Coleridge navigated his way to the bathroom. Leaning against the wall, he managed to pull down his boxers and with considerable effort was able to aim with surprising accuracy to relieve himself.

Recollection of the night before begin to come into focus for Coleridge as he eased back into bed.

He rubbed his eyes as he looked at the brunette in bed with him. This must be Hannah he thought to himself. Her piercing blue eyes were dulled by the dim light, and her morning breath instantly reminded him of the whiskey and tequila from the night before. Her long brown hair was matted and draped across most of her face. This was not the beautiful woman he was so enchanted by only a few hours ago.

His dismay was harshly interrupted by her phone ringing on the night stand. Coleridge glanced at her phone as Hannah grappled through the sheets reaching for it. All he saw before she finally grabbed to answer was the name on the caller ID.

"CAL"
Your a sick puppy but I like it :wesmantexanfan:

The agent works for the player.
CJ is going to love Houston.
Coming from Ohio, please.
DeMeco, Slowik, Cal, Hannah all signed off, Caserio did his due diligence.
Perfect fit in 49er offense which Slowick is master of. Communication will be there, he’s very structured which is why improvisation was limited but when unleashed the whole world saw what he could do against the Philadelphia Bulldogs. So it shall be in the NFL. You use every tool in the chest to get the job done, just hope you have enough tools? This will be a process that will take time but it’s a beginning.

For all those who say “only top 15 QB” that top 10 is really stacked. If after his rookie season top 15 that’s perfect. Give it time, continued to build, Coach them up and good things will follow.

Love Stroud. Powerful arm that drives the ball to where he wants accurately. What can you ask from a QB.

He has Farve-ian desire to fit it. Could be good could be bad. He aint gonna do no pathagorean calculus ****,
he gonna play football.

S2 test my ass! Ball goes to WR, thats all the calculation you need.

Awesome! I am on a 3 day high right now. I cannot get enough CJ! Yes he will have his rookie moments and like all rookies, some patience will be needed, but I’m even more pumped than I was Thursday night. Right team, right system, all new coaches that have a good chance to be here longer term. He’s going to grow with this team and city, and I feel even better about his character than his talent. This is a wonderful young man and someone all Texans fans can get behind as the leader in waiting. It’s a new day down on Kirby. This guy and Anderson are huge turning points in the direction of this team. Can’t wait until Sept!

In a little over 3 yrs Cal is going to get exactly what he deserves.

Awesome! I am on a 3 day high right now. I cannot get enough CJ! Yes he will have his rookie moments and like all rookies, some patience will be needed, but I’m even more pumped than I was Thursday night. Right team, right system, all new coaches that have a good chance to be here longer term. He’s going to grow with this team and city, and I feel even better about his character than his talent. This is a wonderful young man and someone all Texans fans can get behind as the leader in waiting. It’s a new day down on Kirby. This guy and Anderson are huge turning points in the direction of this team. Can’t wait until Sept!

It should be fair to give him the Mills treatment. Stroud should have better weapons around him than Mills ever had. So I expect him to be better than Mills day #1. Really if he's all that he should be much better than Mills day #1.

Have thought since DeMeco & Slowik signing, that Stroud would be a great fit in the Shanahan system. Regardless how he was dissected and graded amongst his peers in the 2023 NFL draft class.

This question was posed in the Athletic and each writer chose their favorite fit, here is CJ’s -

Diante Lee: Schematically, the situation I’m most comfortable with is Stroud in Houston, because the infrastructure of the “Shanny ball” scheme is the best to protect QBs as they develop. The Texans have tackles Laremy Tunsil and Tytus Howard in the building plus an exciting running back in Dameon Pierce, and offensive coordinator Bobby Slowik has a strong grasp of which passing concepts will work for a young, accurate quarterback.

I'm sorry to see that you're assuming (wishing?) the worst for your Texans

Not wishing at all.

Just predicting based off of what I've seen and the people Cal chose to get in bed with. He didn't learn a thing from the Derrick fiasco and he will get what he deserves.

Are you saying Stroud = Derrick?

I'm saying Stoud said Derrick along with Vick are his idols. He's using the same representation as Derrick. It is what it is at this point. Cal had a chance to have an Astros type run, but not surprisingly he chose to take the money and run, just like his daddy did.

I'm saying Stoud said Derrick along with Vick are his idols. He's using the same representation as Derrick. It is what it is at this point. Cal had a chance to have an Astros type run, but not surprisingly he chose to take the money and run, just like his daddy did.
I'm not as down about the team as some.
From my point of view, not only did Cal make a commitment to Demeco with the contract given him, but he is also committed to not holding him back with restrictions. Cal chose to win today instead of waiting for tomorrow. Only time will tell if that was a mistake, but until then all we can do is assume "our opinion" is the correct opinion and everyone else is just blind.

Stroud’s dad went to prison when he was 13 years old. 38 year prison sentence, wont be eligible for parole until 2040. His family was in financial ruin with dad, the breadwinner, suddenly out of the picture.

Shows the young man’s character to be able to rise above that rough hand dealt early in life and have the success he’s had. Statistical anomaly for sure. Happy to watch him continue to succeed with the Texans!

I wouldn't have taken a QB in this draft
Bennett would have been the late rd guy I would have chosen

If I had to choose one early, either Levis or Hooker
I guess the question should have been who would you have hired as HC? Stroud was DeMeco's choice.

It should be fair to give him the Mills treatment. Stroud should have better weapons around him than Mills ever had. So I expect him to be better than Mills day #1. Really if he's all that he should be much better than Mills day #1.
Haters are going to hate.

But if we keep building this team, makes no sense to get rid of Mills. I like Case, I'm not happy with Mills production so far. But if he impresses these new coaches in camp, I'd rather have an improving Mills than a declining Keenum as our backup.

Texans have done good so far trading Case away in the past. I think we're coming back to that well for the final time. buying a 5th/6th round pick.

Have thought since DeMeco & Slowik signing, that Stroud would be a great fit in the Shanahan system. Regardless how he was dissected and graded amongst his peers in the 2023 NFL draft class.

This question was posed in the Athletic and each writer chose their favorite fit, here is CJ’s -

Diante Lee: Schematically, the situation I’m most comfortable with is Stroud in Houston, because the infrastructure of the “Shanny ball” scheme is the best to protect QBs as they develop. The Texans have tackles Laremy Tunsil and Tytus Howard in the building plus an exciting running back in Dameon Pierce, and offensive coordinator Bobby Slowik has a strong grasp of which passing concepts will work for a young, accurate quarterback.
What's "Shanny ball?"

Strong defense, no mistakes on offense. He's got Kittle, Deebo & now McCafferey. I don't know if we can manufacture that. Slowick might build of Shanahan. But he's got different blocks to work with. From what I'm seeing now, I'm not seeing a Shanny in SF offense.

& he wears number 7

kid's bad news.

Stroud’s dad went to prison when he was 13 years old. 38 year prison sentence, wont be eligible for parole until 2040. His family was in financial ruin with dad, the breadwinner, suddenly out of the picture.

Shows the young man’s character to be able to rise above that rough hand dealt early in life and have the success he’s had. Statistical anomaly for sure. Happy to watch him continue to succeed with the Texans!
Do you remember Watson's story?

I'm not with steelBtexans on his thoughts about Stroud. I'm just saying, Watson had a pretty good story too. Didn't stop him from wil'n

LOL, their will be no trophies.

Mediocrity and having to pay a huge contract extension. He got in bed with the devil to put butts in the seats and he will reap what he sows.
Yep, I’m sure being a laughingstock as an owner is no fun. People tell you to sell the team, no one’s at your games, you don’t make as much money, people are mean to you around town, just not fun. So I think he said screw it first priority is to not be a joke anymore even if it commits us to mediocrity.

Stroud was the best QB available if your main goal is to just be a semi competitive team as fast as possible and I think that’s why we chose him.

The team will go back to being average, we’ll have a nice regular season every few years, win a couple of wild card games, get bounced by Mahomes or Burrow in the divisional. We’ll all say oh well maybe next year, season tickets will be renewed, hype will build in the offseason repeat until the Stroud era ends for some reason or another.

LOL, their will be no trophies.

Mediocrity and having to pay a huge contract extension. He got in bed with the devil to put butts in the seats and he will reap what he sows.
Before Stroud ever takes a snap in the NFL and as a newcomer to this board, I do have to ask you. Do your words come from a place of certainty, wishful thinking, or just malice?

Love it or hate it, the team made a giant leap forward in this offseason. From its coaching hires, the involvement of Hannah, free agent signings and the draft, this team is moving ahead quickly and the rebuild is looking good.

So why all the thunder/lightning and rain on everyone's parade? Don't agree with the trade up? The players chosen? The coaching hires? What part of this rebuild isn't up to par with your standards? I am really very curious to know, and I think others here are as well, what makes you so "Anti-Texans"?

Edit: This isn't personal, there are a couple of posters here that are very sour on this team, however your posts stick out to me.

Can someone explain the Mills treatment? Am I missing something? I saw people watch a guy that was playing consistently poorly and folks commented on his play. Is that a treatment? I mean if the guy was worth a damn, would the Texans have gone QB at 1.2?

And TK…they will keep Case Around as a mentor and unofficial QB coach for CJ. Whether Mills or Case is the primary backup, I’ll leave up in the coaches capable hands, but having a vet that’s had to grind and find his success is valuable.

Can someone explain the Mills treatment?

The Mills Treatment - A belief by "some" Texans fans that Mills was somehow not given the same benefits and playing field that other QBs have or will get with this organization and fans. (i.e. team members, coaching, fan support and snaps under center).

And TK…they will keep Case Around as a mentor and unofficial QB coach for CJ. Whether Mills or Case is the primary backup, I’ll leave up in the coaches capable hands, but having a vet that’s had to grind and find his success is valuable.
Caserio hadn't done anything I've suggested all off-season, so... I'm sure you're right. But I'd rather have that 5th/6th pick.

Back