Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston CJ Stroud

From the highlights I've seen...

He doesn't ZIP and overpower throws. Maybe he doesn't have to? Great touch and arc on his passes hitting 2nd and 3rd levels over defenders. Extremely accurate and in rhythm so he doesn't have to "gun" his passes.

I DO realize what I've seen is highlights. His stats indicate he has trouble with pressure and that's troubling. He'll need to master the offense and weekly game plans to compensate.

Ie, he'll need to pass Sunday tests.

Texans need to get a legit center to minimize dl penatration.

Slowik, do some Purdy magic.
I don't think Stroud is as poor under pressure as some people said.

He's better than Davis Mills in those instances and all day everyday.

I'm happy with this evening's haul so I'm scared to say this, but...

I think cj's ceiling is a top 8-12 qb in the league. He's the kinda guy who can get you to the playoffs, but he'll need a superior cast and coaching staff to do more.

We could rank on lots of criteria, but going off of QBR for the 2022 season, I can see Stroud being as good as Tua, Goff, Jones, Geno, Brisset. All those guys were top 10.

That's fine. He's a hostage-taker who represents hostage-takers.

We literally just went through this.

Better not happen again. We'll see.

The Astros cut off Scott Boras around 2006 because Carlos Beltran played them against the Mets.

11 years later, there was a new owner and Carlos Beltran came back as a percussion player. Drayton got paid, Jim Crane got a ring.

Reading quotes, indeed NC wanted WA, others wanted CJ, so he got CJ for them and WA from his view. 1.2 has a long way to go and something we can work with, come on Nick!
Sure doesn't sound like Stroud was Nick's guy, but did get his/Ryans guy by trading up for Anderson at 3. Like or not, Stroud was likely Cal's guy. Maybe Slowik's guy too. But clearly not Caserio's guy is reports are accurate. His quote sure sounds like it.

1.2 has a long way to go and something we can work with, come on Nick!
To me it just sound like coach speak, getting ahead of the pressure to start him week 1

Nick knows damn well he’s going to start week 1, he just has to make it sound like it’s a process.

I might get behind the idea Nick wanted to take Anderson at 1.2 & not CJ Stroud. But to think he didn’t like CJ at all is just stupid

Sure doesn't sound like Stroud was Nick's guy, but did get his/Ryans guy by trading up for Anderson at 3. Like or not, Stroud was likely Cal's guy. Maybe Slowik's guy too. But clearly not Caserio's guy is reports are accurate. His quote sure sounds like it.
Listened to the full press conference, he was more complimentary of CJ then the tweet indicated, but GM speak, need to earn their way into the locker room

I rarely watched this kid at Ohio State. I was tuning into Bryce but this lil guy is a winner. He had nice stats. Pro bowler in year 2. Side note the lions will be electrifying in 2 years. I like there picks from this year and last. They chose 2 Alabama athletes who I think were the best playmakers in college football back to back. I don’t think I felt this much excitement since our 2017 draft. My new favorite qb. Screw the others. Texans for life

Glad they got who they want. If they didn't have conviction about Stroud, they would have just passed rather than spending the draft capital they did to get Anderson. The biggest thing to me isn't what I see in a qb - it's what the team does and their conviction to go after the player they want.

Stroud might be the most accurate passer to ever put on a Texans uniform.
I've been critical of his performance under pressure, but hopefully he can develop in that area. From everything I've seen, he should be extremely coachable.
If he can be even average under pressure, we might have a franchise QB on our hands.

To me his ability to perform under NFL pressure will be his biggest hurdle. Handle that and I think we're good to go.

Gotta say, I was very surprised the McNair's were willing to take on a high profile Mulugheta client so soon. I failed to realize, however, that they don't really have to deal with him for about 4 years or so.

I feel like this is what I'm gonna be yelling at my TV every time we're in a tense position and have the ball offensively:

I love this pick. I think a lot of you are going to be surprised at how good of a player he is. His accuracy is off the charts and his ability to move and slide in the pocket is already better than we have seen in a very long time. Adding him to our roster as we transition back to the WCO is incredible timing. This dude is going to be a baller right out of the gate.

I love this pick. I think a lot of you are going to be surprised at how good of a player he is. His accuracy is off the charts and his ability to move and slide in the pocket is already better than we have seen in a very long time. Adding him to our roster as we transition back to the WCO is incredible timing. This dude is going to be a baller right out of the gate.

It will certainly be a change from what we’ve seen at QB lately.

https://theathletic.com/4460983/2023/04/28/tennessee-titans-nfl-draft-peter-skoronski/

Titans watch Texans snatch away C.J. Stroud
The Tennessee Titans lost out on the great AFC South quarterback run of 2023, leaving them Thursday evening as the lone team in the division without a young signal caller for the team, franchise and fans to rally around in the years ahead.

They lost out, and they lost. Got outmaneuvered. Had to change plans.

It happens all the time on draft night. It doesn’t mean the Titans will necessarily end up worse for it — we have no idea how any of this will work out, which makes Thursday’s “L” less severe than last year’s on the same night, when GM Jon Robinson traded A.J. Brown to the Eagles and started the clock on becoming former GM Jon Robinson. That was an obvious and devastating mistake.

This was a miss in the moment, pointing the way to a 2023 season in which the Titans will have the band back together and see if they can rally back toward a division title, and see if they’ll belong on the field with the AFC’s best. New GM Ran Carthon started the clock on his tenure by drafting Northwestern offensive lineman Peter Skoronski with the No. 11 pick.

[…]

In the meantime, they’ll have to contend with a division full of hope at the most important position. And with the division rival who got their guy.

Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud, the Titans’ reported quarterback of choice in the frenzied lead-up to Thursday’s events, went No. 2 to the Houston Texans — that must have been especially frustrating in the draft room for Titans controlling owner and Houston native Amy Adams Strunk. Florida’s Anthony Richardson went No. 4 to the Indianapolis Colts. Trevor Lawrence just led the Jacksonville Jaguars to the 2022 AFC South title, at the expense of the Titans, with an improbable late-season takeover.

Lawrence is very good already. Stroud, like No. 1 pick Bryce Young, appears to have a high floor. Richardson, who needs tons of work to be an effective starter, appears to have the highest ceiling of the quarterbacks in this draft — of quarterbacks in recent memory.

It’s also easy to see a scenario in which Stroud is good but not great. At No. 2, you need great. It’s easy to see a scenario in which Richardson can’t put everything together and ends up a major mistake at No. 4. I have no idea. Nor do you. Young is the only quarterback in this draft who I’m bullish on becoming great. Right around as bullish as I was about Ryan Leaf in 1998.

But the Titans appeared to want Stroud, and someone was willing to make that known as of Thursday morning. ESPN’s Diana Russini, NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport and Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio were among the NFL reporters who connected the two in midday reports. Yes, the misinformation around draft day is thick, but this was a flood of reports. Backed up by action.

Russini said last week on “Get Up” that she would be with the Colts on draft night, giving extra coverage of their activities for ESPN, but something changed that plan. Her Thursday submissions from Nashville, hinting at a big move up, told the story.

The Titans were going to be one of the big players in this draft. They were going to lay out the path to their own future. Then the Texans made it their own path.

Houston, which according to reports had discussed getting a quarterback by using pick No. 12 to move up, instead used pick No. 2 to take Stroud. The Titans’ opportunity to move up and get pick No. 3 from new Arizona Cardinals GM Monti Ossenfort — who most recently worked in the Titans’ front office — was foiled.

The Texans then gave Ossenfort a haul to take the No. 3 pick that the Titans no longer had use for, and they drafted Alabama outside linebacker Will Anderson. Houston left the night with hopeful stars on both sides of the ball. Maybe Houston was going Stroud at No. 2 all along. Maybe not. Maybe the Titans inadvertently convinced the Texans to change course.

Either way, Stroud’s future becomes a critical story for two AFC South franchises, not just one.

Yahoo Sports reporter Charles Robinson tweeted of the Texans’ moves: “Why is this legendary? Because the #Texans eliminated their competition for the #Cardinals pick by selecting the QB at 2 that the #Titans wanted to trade up for. That left the Texans as the lone trade partner for 3. Ninja move.”

Russini tweeted after the Texans took Stroud: “The Houston Texans just made a wild move. The Titans were fighting to get to 3 but once Houston picked C.J. Stroud at 2, the Titans pulled their offer with Arizona.”

Russini later deleted that tweet. Carthon and Vrabel, of course, had no interest in talking about quarterbacks they might have wanted and planned to take. They were on to Skoronski. Like it or not, the band will be getting back together in 2023. The rest of this weekend is about making it sound like something better than a tribute band.

Teased out for those with no time:-

"Yahoo Sports reporter Charles Robinson tweeted of the Texans’ moves: “Why is this legendary? Because the #Texans eliminated their competition for the #Cardinals pick by selecting the QB at 2 that the #Titans wanted to trade up for. That left the Texans as the lone trade partner for 3. Ninja move.”

Russini tweeted after the Texans took Stroud: “The Houston Texans just made a wild move. The Titans were fighting to get to 3 but once Houston picked C.J. Stroud at 2, the Titans pulled their offer with Arizona.”

Titans were not about to hand Texans a big haul for Stroud.
Tits will still get Levis this evening.

https://sports.nbcsports.com/2023/0...s-c-j-stroud-leads-the-way-and-a-tie-at-no-5/

No. 1: C.J. Stroud, Ohio State
What Simms Said: “This is as close to Joe Burrow as I’ve seen coming out in the draft here. I mean, when you just talk about great decision-making, quickness…when you talk about hitting the bullseye on a consistent basis, C.J. Stroud’s ability to make high-level throws and just drop the ball in receiver’s pockets, hit them in the chest, wherever, it’s off the charts good…his arm is better than Burrow’s was coming out…his throwing, especially with the ability to power throw and put the ball into tight windows time after time after time, I’d actually give him the advantage over Joe Burrow in that department.”

Teased out for those with no time:-

"Yahoo Sports reporter Charles Robinson tweeted of the Texans’ moves: “Why is this legendary? Because the #Texans eliminated their competition for the #Cardinals pick by selecting the QB at 2 that the #Titans wanted to trade up for. That left the Texans as the lone trade partner for 3. Ninja move.”

Titans were not about to hand Texans a big haul for Stroud.
Tits will still get Levis this evening.

Sounds like a smart GM.

Played the draft smart.

Played the off-season smart.

Played the Watson trade smart.

He ain’t perfect but he comes through.

Back