Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Welcome Home, DeMeco Ryans

Just fire him now. I am done. Caserio has no business hiring Demeco’s staff.

Ryans will be hiring the coaches he wants and tell Caserio the players he wants in the draft/FA. Ryans is in charge of the on field product. If they succeed or fail it will be because of Ryans. Although if they start to fail Caserio will be shown the door well before Ryans is.

If the Tunsil and Howard have the feet for it, yes. Since Howard played OG, and had to pull, I think he will be able to handle it. Tunsil isn't really a power guy, so he should be ok. It might actually hurt Charlie Heck since he is so tall. Deculus would be cut. He doesn't have the feet for it at all.

It would actually help guys like Quessenberry and Morrissey, but probably Morrissey more so. I think Morrissey is a little more athletic. It would help Kenyon Green also since he is more of a pulling Guard. I'm not sure if McCray or Cann could run it, since they are more power guys, but they probably won't be here much longer anyway.

The thing of it is, the ZBS makes use of smaller, faster, and more agile guys, and they will be easier to find in the later rounds.
I found this article. Some good info in it.
Why installing the 'Shanahan offense' is difficult for NFL teams - Sports Illustrated

Ryans will be hiring the coaches he wants and tell Caserio the players he wants in the draft/FA. Ryans is in charge of the on field product. If they succeed or fail it will be because of Ryans. Although if they start to fail Caserio will be shown the door well before Ryans is.
Ae you sure that is how it works or is this an attempt to have a scapegoat for Caserio before Ryans even finds his office? Based on your posts. Caserio will get fired because he didn't pick the HC or the QB or make the draft choices or have anything to do with the on-field product. In what world does a GM not share responsibility for the on-field product? Hell, is Caserio a GM, EVP of football operations or @Texian's file clerk?

I can see Ryans wanting a particular FA because of his or his coaching staff's familiarity or knowledge of that player. However, with the draft isn't it more like Ryans and the coaches tell Caserio the type of players they want for their system and it's Caserio's JOB to find these players? Wouldn't the draft be more of a collaboration between them where Caserio makes the pick or give Ryans and his staff the option to select among the players the GM and scouts have selected?

Ae you sure that is how it works or is this an attempt to have a scapegoat for Caserio before Ryans even finds his office? Based on your posts. Caserio will get fired because he didn't pick the HC or the QB or make the draft choices or have anything to do with the on-field product. In what world does a GM not share responsibility for the on-field product? Hell, is Caserio a GM, EVP of football operations or @Texian's file clerk?

I can see Ryans wanting a particular FA because of his or his coaching staff's familiarity or knowledge of that player. However, with the draft isn't it more like Ryans and the coaches tell Caserio the type of players they want for their system and it's Caserio's JOB to find these players? Wouldn't the draft be more of a collaboration between them where Caserio makes the pick or give Ryans and his staff the option to select among the players the GM and scouts have selected?
I would like to think it is a collaborative effort - if the player the HC wants is not available, then the GM does his due diligence to find a suitable alternative.

We have to remember the Ryans is a first time HC and not and never has been a GM. He probably doesnt have much experience evaluating draft prospects as well as hiring coaches from other teams, giving them promotions into a role which they had not done before. But he does know what to look for in players and coaches and knows how to get the most out of them.

Something to add… I think he will be very good evaluating which QBs he wants to go after. Playing and coaching the other side of the ball, you study QBs and understand their importance as well as see what makes success and failure.

We have to remember the Ryans is a first time HC and not and never has been a GM. He probably doesnt have much experience evaluating draft prospects as well as hiring coaches from other teams, giving them promotions into a role which they had not done before. But he does know what to look for in players and coaches and knows how to get the most out of them.

Something to add… I think he will be very good evaluating which QBs he wants to go after. Playing and coaching the other side of the ball, you study QBs and understand their importance as well as see what makes success and failure.
My guess is he will defer the evaluation of offensive players to his OC, OL, WR, and RB coaches. I would hope that DeMeco will make his own mistakes and successes instead of someone else's.

Ryans is in charge. No scapegoat needed, in the McNair's world and yes Ryan's has the final say on personnel. Caserio really is nothing more than a file clerk now and if things don't turn around quickly Caserio will be gone in a yr or two. Ryans will still be around for another 2-3 yrs after Caserio is gone.

Ryans is going to get the players he wants.

Disagree about Ryan's and the QB. I'm hoping he will ask Kubiak for help finding a QB.

Ryans is in charge. No scapegoat needed, in the McNair's world and yes Ryan's has the final say on personnel. Caserio really is nothing more than a file clerk now and if things don't turn around quickly Caserio will be gone in a yr or two. Ryans will still be around for another 2-3 yrs after Caserio is gone.
So, in your opinion. The reason Caserio will get fired will not be based on his job performance. It will be due to Ryans failing to turn things around or the McNair's meddling. Nothing Caserio has done in 4 years will contribute to his firing? He was an innocent bystander doing what he was told? No accountability for Caserio?

BTW. Have Caserio, Ryans or the McNair made any comments about roles and responsibilities? How do you know who has final say?

Last edited:
My guess is he will defer the evaluation of offensive players to his OC, OL, WR, and RB coaches. I would hope that DeMeco will make his own mistakes and successes instead of someone else's.
From now on the success of failure is all on Ryan's. Caserio is nothing more than a facilitator/file clerk, just as you said all along and it's the way the McNair's want things to be run.

So, in your opinion. The reason Caserio will get fired will not be based on his job performance. It will be due to Ryans failing to turn things around or the McNair's meddling. Nothing Caserio has done in 4 years will attribute to his firing? He was an innocent bystander doing what he was told? No accountability for Caserio?

BTW. Have Caserio, Ryans or the McNair made any comments about roles and responsibilities? How do you know who has final say?
Correct, this is what happens when you don't get to pick the guy you want to work with. Failure is on who chose the HC's and the HC's themselves.

I believe Lovie had final say in last years draft and I'm sure Ryans will have final say in personnel going forward. Contracts, setting up trades and day to day operations, making calls around the league are Caserio's duties now. All major decisions Ryans will be making.

Good news is Caserio has already done the hard work of cleaning up the cap and giving Ryans plenty of draft capital to work with.

This is somewhat dated article but to get right to the heart of matter is this Nick or DeMeco ship to sail, may come down to who is the chosen franchise QB. Blame, accountability whatever will still be up for debate and top secret locked in vault on Kirby, only speculation as to who would be the culpable suspect.
https://houston.sportsmap.com/houston-texans-stroud-mulugheta-mcnair
Cal will be making the call on the new QB just like his Dad did. Unfortunately Cal will force the QB pick. Gotta put butts in the seats.

Cal will be making the call on the new QB just like his Dad did. Unfortunately Cal will force the QB pick. Gotta put butts in the seats.

Why? Last I checked, every seat at NRG was already sold and paid for (granted it's been a minute since I last checked). Cal gets his money regardless if anyone shows up or not. Unless you think Cal cares about the optics of empty seats.

Also winning will fill the stadium way more reliable than the PR of a rookie QB.

From now on the success of failure is all on Ryan's. Caserio is nothing more than a facilitator/file clerk, just as you said all along and it's the way the McNair's want things to be run.

OK. I hate to be THAT guy, but I am THAT guy. So here we go.

His last name is not possessive. It's Ryans, not Ryan's.

EDIT: NVM. I then read the next post and you'd stopped doing that. So, carry on.

Why? Last I checked, every seat at NRG was already sold and paid for (granted it's been a minute since I last checked). Cal gets his money regardless if anyone shows up or not. Unless you think Cal cares about the optics of empty seats.

Also winning will fill the stadium way more reliable than the PR of a rookie QB.
You might want to check out the stands on TV. I've had season tickets for 20 yrs and I've only been to 1game in 2 years. I used to drop a couple of hundred at every game not counting the 600 I spent on tickets and I only missed 3 games in all those years before the pandemic.

I've decided to not renew next year. My wife doesn't like going anymore. Games used to be events for us and see friends I've made over 20 years.

You might want to check out the stands on TV. I've had season tickets for 20 yrs and I've only been to 1game in 2 years. I used to drop a couple of hundred at every game not counting the 600 I spent on tickets and I only missed 3 games in all those years before the pandemic.

I've decided to not renew next year. My wife doesn't like going anymore. Games used to be events for us and see friends I've made over 20 years.

I've seen the stands, but empty seats don't mean those seats aren't paid for. See the majority of every preseason game at every stadium in the NFL.

Games used to be events for us and see friends I've made over 20 years.
That's kinda why my group of friends let their PSLs go and stayed home. It just became harder to get everyone together.

I do think this fanbase is ready for a reason to get excited. Today is a start. Draft a Heisman Trophy QB and the buzz will amplify. That's just a fact. Doesn't make it right or wrong. Every button the Texans have pushed the past several years has been the wrong one. That could be changing. Houston will respond if it does.

That's kinda why my group of friends let their PSLs go and stayed home. It just became harder to get everyone together.

I do think this fanbase is ready for a reason to get excited. Today is a start. Draft a Heisman Trophy QB and the buzz will amplify. That's just a fact. Doesn't make it right or wrong. Every button the Texans have pushed the past several years has been the wrong one. That could be changing. Houston will respond if it does.
The buzz is exactly why Young will be the pick.

You don't seem to realize how much money owners make off of concessions/parking/merch sales.

I do, but they still make more from PSLs, season ticket sales, parking passes, and TV, all of which are, in essence, pre-paid and not affected by attendance.

Also, if drafting a QB for purely PR and "butts in seats," pretty sure Bob would have demanded the Texans draft VY. I mean you are implying the Carr pick was purely for PR and this year's pick is only going to be for PR purposes, VY would have been the king of dollar-generating draft picks.

But then why wasn't VY the pick? Would have trumped anything generated by Bryce?

Last edited:
Sponsors don't like paying good $$$ for advertising in an empty stadium, either. It matters.

As I returning season ticket owner last year, I would say that spending is different when there is energy in the stadium versus when some going to the game out of obligation i.e. I have already bought the tickets versus I am really excited to spend all of Sunday afternoon involved in the game.

I hope Cal has learned some valuable lessons along the way, hence hiring DeMeco Ryans. Next step, give him long leash. Of course, it will be collaborative decision, but one can only hope, with much clearer vision yielding winning results (and butts in the seats).

I don't believe that for a minute...DR and NC are going to build their draft board together collaborating along with the scouts. Neither of the two are going to be making picks shootin' from the hip, there will be agreement between the two before picks are made. Ya'll gotta stop acting like these two are mortal enemies. NC with Cal's approval, just hired DeMeco to his "dream "job, you better @&cking believe these two are going to be working together in harmony to build this team right, with players that Demeco wants, perhaps his OC and DC want etc... But they'll be going off their draft board that's been mutually agreed upon.

I made the same point about Vince Young. If ever there was a butts in seats pick that was it. Yet, they passed. And some people just can't wrap their minds around the idea that two (or more) things can all be true at the same time.

*Edit to remove some personal info*

Bryce Young can create buzz and fill seats AND still be the best QB for this team at this time.

Last edited:
Steelbtexian, have more faith In NC!

I don't believe that for a minute...DR and NC are going to build their draft board together collaborating along with the scouts. Neither of the two are going to be making picks shootin' from the hip, there will be agreement between the two before picks are made. Ya'll gotta stop acting like these two are mortal enemies. NC with Cal's approval, just hired DeMeco to his "dream "job, you better @&cking believe these two are going to be working together in harmony to build this team right, with players that Demeco wants, perhaps his OC and DC want etc... But they'll be going off their draft board that's been mutually agreed upon.

^^^THIS^^^

Last edited:

If it is Young, then we know DeMeco did not make the pick. No way a former NFL linebacker picks a tiny QB.

But then why wasn't VY the pick? Would have trumped anything generated by Bryce?

Gary Kubiak is an Aggie. There was no way in hell that he was going to tolerate an arrogant UT QB on his team. It's as simple as that. Confirmed by sportscaster Bob Allen before he passed away.

No mortal enemies, but if there's a disagreement, who do you think gets the guy they want?

If it is Young, then we know DeMeco did not make the pick. No way a former NFL linebacker picks a tiny QB.

Gary Kubiak is an Aggie. There was no way in hell that he was going to tolerate an arrogant UT QB on his team. It's as simple as that. Confirmed by sportscaster Bob Allen before he passed away.
Cal/ Hannah will be making this call, just like Bob did.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Back