Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome Home, DeMeco Ryans

Learning what? How to put butts in the seats? That's what the McNair's care about. If Ryans turns out to be a good HC that's a bonus.

Dont get this confused because you like the Ryans hire.
At this juncture DeMeco could also turn out to be a colossal failure. His coaching staff and his first draft will be the first indicators as to what we can expect.

That was straight desperation on their part.

They tried to get Demeco even after he had verbally agreed with the Texans, after that failed, they doubled down on Payton .... a first and second, I really can't believe it.
Hard to blame them. Payton would've been first on my list for the Broncos. They have a defense. They need someone who can maximize the offense.

I was never sure that either side would put aside the lawsuit thing, but they did. Congrats to them for being adults. IMO this is a really good hire, possibly the best in Texans history for coaches. My only concern is his lack of offense experience, but we would be saying the same thing if he were an offensive coach that he didn't have any defense experience. His OC and DC hires are going to be critical I think. It's going to be interesting to see how free agency and the draft go. Will he want a QB this year or next. Will he go heavy offense in the draft and defense in FA? Or the other way around. Going to be fun to watch!

Question for you OL guys on here: do the Texans have the OL players to run zone blocking scheme of the Shannahan WCO?

I don't know enough about these guys individually, but if this team is going to a Shanny/Kubiak style ZBS footwork and quickness will be more valuable than size and brute strength. Like TK said, that may actually be very beneficial to a guy like Tunsil who is not much of a fire off the ball and move your guy type of run blocker.

I'm not sure if the Texans have implemented much Zone blocking concepts here lately or not, but even if some of the guys they have fit the profile from a physical standpoint, technique wise and actually understanding how to block it will probably take a while to implement. A lot of their steps are going to change. A lot of angles they take will change...How they block and handle combo blocking will change...

It may be ugly at first...

IF this is the route they choose to go, having an OL coach that really understands it and really knows how to coach it will be critical. Devlin level coaches need not apply.

I don't know enough about these guys individually, but if this team is going to a Shanny/Kubiak style ZBS footwork and quickness will be more valuable than size and brute strength. Like TK said, that may actually be very beneficial to a guy like Tunsil who is not much of a fire off the ball and move your guy type of run blocker.

I'm not sure if the Texans have implemented much Zone blocking concepts here lately or not, but even if some of the guys they have fit the profile from a physical standpoint, technique wise and actually understanding how to block it will probably take a while to implement. A lot of their steps are going to change. A lot of angles they take will change...How they block and handle combo blocking will change...

IF this is the route they choose to go, having an OL coach that really understands it and really knows how to coach it will be critical. Devlin level coaches need not apply.

I honestly don't mind if we went OL and Edge 1st round. DT or OL 2nd round and then just BPA at a need spot. Why? You win in the trenches, and D wins Championships. Build the OL and D. Take a QB next year and try to get everything in place to be competitive next year (2024) with the rookie QB. Plus side, I don't think Meco is going to want a smaller QB. Meaning that if we do take one it's Levis or Stroud.

I honestly don't mind if we went OL and Edge 1st round. DT or OL 2nd round and then just BPA at a need spot. Why? You win in the trenches, and D wins Championships. Build the OL and D. Take a QB next year and try to get everything in place to be competitive next year (2024) with the rookie QB. Plus side, I don't think Meco is going to want a smaller QB. Meaning that if we do take one it's Levis or Stroud.
Hahaa he said take a qb next year. Idk if you’ve been living under a rock dude but most Texan fans don’t want to watch Davis Mills turn the ball over every game for another season. You take a qb, if that qb doesn’t work out, you’ll have the option again next season. Other than that, great hire by the texans. Hopefully they don’t screw this up like they do everything. Demeco will attract free agents, im all for it

There might have been better head-coaching openings this cycle, but DeMeco Ryans and the Texans fit.

Nothing new in this article but I think this quote is right on (at least the part about being a fit). Ryans is going to get a longer leash from the fans than any other candidate because of his history here (imo). I liked Payton but there was a lot of pushback from y'all (understandably). Things could've gone bad quickly w/ Payton given the opposition from fans already expressed. Any of the candidates were a roll of the dice and DeMeco was legitimately at the top of other team's list. Just seems like a great match.

Question for you OL guys on here: do the Texans have the OL players to run zone blocking scheme of the Shannahan WCO?
If the Tunsil and Howard have the feet for it, yes. Since Howard played OG, and had to pull, I think he will be able to handle it. Tunsil isn't really a power guy, so he should be ok. It might actually hurt Charlie Heck since he is so tall. Deculus would be cut. He doesn't have the feet for it at all.

It would actually help guys like Quessenberry and Morrissey, but probably Morrissey more so. I think Morrissey is a little more athletic. It would help Kenyon Green also since he is more of a pulling Guard. I'm not sure if McCray or Cann could run it, since they are more power guys, but they probably won't be here much longer anyway.

The thing of it is, the ZBS makes use of smaller, faster, and more agile guys, and they will be easier to find in the later rounds.

Hahaa he said take a qb next year. Idk if you’ve been living under a rock dude but most Texan fans don’t want to watch Davis Mills turn the ball over every game for another season. You take a qb, if that qb doesn’t work out, you’ll have the option again next season. Other than that, great hire by the texans. Hopefully they don’t screw this up like they do everything. Demeco will attract free agents, im all for it
You must have been living under a rock, because there are several here that don't want a QB early in this draft.

Mike Munchak?

If the Tunsil and Howard have the feet for it, yes. Since Howard played OG, and had to pull, I think he will be able to handle it. Tunsil isn't really a power guy, so he should be ok. It might actually hurt Charlie Heck since he is so tall. Deculus would be cut. He doesn't have the feet for it at all.

It would actually help guys like Quessenberry and Morrissey, but probably Morrissey more so. I think Morrissey is a little more athletic. It would help Kenyon Green also since he is more of a pulling Guard. I'm not sure if McCray or Cann could run it, since they are more power guys, but they probably won't be here much longer anyway.

The thing of it is, the ZBS makes use of smaller, faster, and more agile guys, and they will be easier to find in the later rounds.

I love the Shanahan WCO when it works, but when defenses disrupt it, it falls apart. It's especially sensitive to down and distance going off script, which often happens with false starts, sacks, or TFL's.

It's also difficult to rush a TD in the red zone when the DB's can move up and the LB's don't bite so hard on play action. That's where you need power blocking. If there's an effective way to run a hybrid in the RZ, I'd be ok with it.

I love the Shanahan WCO when it works, but when defenses disrupt it, it falls apart. It's especially sensitive to down and distance going off script, which often happens with false starts, sacks, or TFL's.

It's also difficult to rush a TD in the red zone when the DB's can move up and the LB's don't bite so hard on play action. That's where you need power blocking. If there's an effective way to run a hybrid in the RZ, I'd be ok with it.
We still have Pierce. He's good at finding the little holes and making the most of them. The ZBS is good for creating those little holes. Pierce's power helps too.

Modern zone teams all run hybrid versions versus what we saw with Kubes and Papa shanny. The Olmen are closer to full size than that day and there is plenty of power mixed in with some of the more movement-oriented stuff.

Mike Munchak?

Based on the little I know about Munchak, if they are going to run a shanny/Kubiak style WCO with the outside zone and bootlegs being a staple, I would rather go with an ol coach who has specialized in that system.

No knock on Munchak…I just don’t know if he would be the best guy for that type of system based on some of the things he said here: https://steelersdepot.com/2014/04/mike-munchak-speaks-outside-zone-blocking/

Now if they are going hybrid or some type of power scheme I’d be down with Munchak for sure. I don’t know who still runs that old style zbs so they probably will go more hybrid if they go that route.

Mike has more knowledge and experience than most of us will ever have about OL so I could be way off base. Would not complain about hiring him because regardless he’s a good coach.

Last edited:

I agree with the redzone stuff with the shanny/Kubiak style offense and smaller OL. I think the 9ers are more hybrid though.

But most teams are going to have issues if they are behind the chains. But that’s where having a passing game and a qb that can make things happen comes into play.

No idea what Demeco plans on doing but if he decides to bring in someone from the Shanny tree this is probably a lot of what we can expect:

To me it’s like a more modern version of the Kubiak/Shanny offense.
Still a lot of the core concepts focused on outside zone, with some modern wrinkles thrown in.

This is the most exciting time to be a Texans fan since the first quarter of the 2019 Chiefs playoff game! DeMeco will make mistakes being a first year HC. But he is a leader of men and I am confident he is going to make more good decisions than bad. This is an important step to bringing the franchise back to respectability since the 2nd-4th quarters of that Chiefs playoff game.

Ryans is hiring a staff that will include coordinators. He will get to focus on being the team leader and HC. Also, Ryans was the QB on defense when he played, and therefore gives him an edge at picking up the nuances of time management from the HC position.

Last edited:
Honestly, what I want from DeMeco is to instill an attitude of beating the crap out of the AFC, which he seems like he has the leadership to do it.

Do this without being a dirty, bitchmade team.

I don't want to root for a bunch of Haynesworth, Finnegan, Rodney Harrison, Suh-style garbage.

I don't anticipate that, I'm just posting for the record.

Intelligent, disciplined, driven, tough ass defense. That's what I want. And you can do it without being a collection of trash.

Back