Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Week 6: Texans vs Saints

To be honest Steel....right now I just want to imagine what our Oline can look like with 5 healthy starters on the line....anything more than that is jumping the gun. We have people wanting to trade DP after 5 games of a pieced together Oline that hasnt gelled and most are depth players or playing out of position...

And I think if Dell and Nico stay in the game we are talking about an entirely different outcome...there were also some KEY DROPS on 3rd downs that should have extended drives and given the D more rest....it was just a big accumulation of things that just didnt work out for us in the end....

But like CJ's last game in college AND in that stadium...he did what he was supposed to do and got us in position to win the game...and thats all we can ask of him...just need others to step up and do their part as well.

Did he change thing up or did big plays like the Dell TD/Beck TD etc... happen , but they didn't happen last game? Gotta keep Dell healthy and give the OL a couple of weeks to jell.

Big plays on both sides of the ball win games. There wasn't enough big plays to win last game. This is why I hope this offseason Ryans/Caserio gives Stroud some play makers.
The last lost had nothing to do with not having play makers. They made too mistakes that put them in a lot of third and long on offense. The play calling was atrocious on a lot of those plays.

The last lost had nothing to do with not having play makers. They made too mistakes that put them in a lot of third and long on offense. The play calling was atrocious on a lot of those plays.
Play makers make plays and right now Stroud could use a few more play makers. You didn't answer my question, do you think if say Odunze/Sanders and say Shipley were on this offense would they have been able to score another 7-10 points in that game, despite the stuff you pointed out? The real problem was that the OL is still trying to jell. IMHO, but give me the guys I listed above and I will take my chances.

Last edited:
Play makers make plays and right now Stroud could use a few more play makers. You didn't answer my question, do you think if say Odunze/Sanders and say Shipley were on this offense would they have been able to score another 7-10 points in that game, despite the stuff you pointed out? The reall problem was that the OL is still trying to jell. IMHO, but give me the guys I listed above and I will take my chances.
I don't get they point of saying 'if they only had X & Y & Z on the team' they would have won. Those guys aren't on the team. Might as well say if only CMC & Deebo & Bosa were on the team they would have won. The team is what it is, they lost because they couldn't score enough or stop the other team enough.

I don't get they point of saying 'if they only had X & Y & Z on the team' they would have won. Those guys aren't on the team. Might as well say if only CMC & Deebo & Bosa were on the team they would have won. The team is what it is, they lost because they couldn't score enough or stop the other team enough.

What I'm saying is these are the types of guys that need to be added in the draft to give Stroud his best chance to be successful. The next draft should be about adding the next Kittle/Deebo/Aiyuk, you aren't going to find another McCaffrey, but you might be able to add a Tony Pollard in the 2024 draft. With the way Stroud has been playing add guys like this and you'll have a contender on your hands in a couple of yrs.

What I'm saying is these are the types of guys that need to be added in the draft to give Stroud his best chance to be successful. The next draft should be about adding the next Kittle/Deebo/Aiyuk, you aren't going to find another McCaffrey, but you might be able to add a Tony Pollard in the 2024 draft. With the way Stroud has been playing add guys like this and you'll have a contender on your hands in a couple of yrs.
To answer your question...yes if we had more playmakers we could score more points...who those playmakers are I dont care...as long as they make plays.
But I feel really good about this coaching staff and their scouting of players so far....so I think we have a really good chance of adding some pivotal pieces and will be serious contenders for years to come.
Just hope they stay the course.

To answer your question...yes if we had more playmakers we could score more points...who those playmakers are I dont care...as long as they make plays.
But I feel really good about this coaching staff and their scouting of players so far....so I think we have a really good chance of adding some pivotal pieces and will be serious contenders for years to come.
Just hope they stay the course.
I will add that they should look to add a vet edge bookend to pair with WA. IMHO

And that will be discussed plenty as we get closer to the draft (in the proper forum I hope) but there is no point in saying woulda coulda about it in every thread now

This isn't a would've, could've should've thing. This is a what can be and the future is bright. I'm just throwing guys names out there for posters who love college football to checkout. You've got an issue with this?

Last edited:
Bottom line, the OL has to play better than last week. They looked pretty good in the win over the Steelers. However, they didn't really look like a geled OL due to injury and just overall last week. Tunsil was not ready to come back. He was pretty much just going through the motions. He didn't have his typical power and movement. Other players just didn't play well. With no OL to speak of, teams can all but tee off on CJ and our RBs. If Tunsil is healthy this week that's a plus. The other 4 just need to do their jobs. If they don't and we don't put in the backup at an OL position that is struggling...it could be a long day.

And the D has to play well all 4 quarters. We don't need and can't afford a lapse like last week in the final few miles.

If both are good to go, I can see us winning the game. And winning by a TD or more. I don’t want to predict the score until I hear how the OL is doing health wise. I have faith that the D doesn't want to surrender another game winner. I fully believe Meco has them ready.

I see a win if the line is ready. As for the score, no idea. It could be a strong showing if the OL is good to go. If not, to win it will be close and CJ and the skill players are going to have to play lights out...while not making any true mistakes.

If both play well a solid win is a high probability. If the OL is a mess still, a win in a close game if CJ and the skill player can play near mistake free. I really want to see CJ do what is in the article link below.

I agree it should've been a W.

Imagine having weapons like say Bowers or Odunze or Sanders. Think those guys could've made a difference in that game?

After all, despite the holes on the defense, the defense only gave up 21 points.
Or

There were three dropped passes that could have changed the game.

Jags & Steelers it seemed like we couldn't do no wrong. Whatever ill came, they found a way to overcome it. Falcons for some reason one bad play led to another.

Also I saw a stat saying Cj was much more efficient inside the numbers than out. If that's true, maybe the Falcons took away the middle more often than we realized & forced him to throw outside more than he wanted. I don't know, have to rewatch the game. I remember a lot of success in the middle of the field, but I also remember a lot of incomplete passed.

& his accuracy seemed a little off for some reason.

Still, I'm in "fun watching them grow" mode. Doesn't upset me they lost last week, & I'm not watching expecting a win tomorrow. Just excited to see them get on the field again & do what they do.

To be honest Steel....right now I just want to imagine what our Oline can look like with 5 healthy starters on the line....anything more than that is jumping the gun
Fant looks like a starter to me. So does Mason, Patterson, Howard, & Tunsil. Tunsil may not be "healthy" but that's 5 starters. Just need a little continuity now.

Fant looks like a starter to me. So does Mason, Patterson, Howard, & Tunsil. Tunsil may not be "healthy" but that's 5 starters. Just need a little continuity now.

I just posted above about this. IF the OL plays well, it could be a big win. If not CJ and all Skill players have to make near zero mistakes. Tunsil needs to be ready, he didn't look it last week. I feel he needed a little longer to get everything working well. If any OL player is looking off, I agree Fant looks like a starter...put him in any other position on the OL they have to be willing to sub them for someone else who is 100%.

And that will be discussed plenty as we get closer to the draft (in the proper forum I hope) but there is no point in saying woulda coulda about it in every thread now
He & others (me) were saying this before the draft. I guess this is his way of saying I told you so.

But... two candidates for OROY is on our team so I don't think there were as many offensive play makers in the last draft as I had hoped.

Still, if Stroud wasn't having accuracy problems there could have been more big plays... I'm not blaming Cj, just saying.

The one Dell got hurt on, if it were thrown higher, more accurately, that could have been an even huger play & maybe even a TD. O'Sullivan said that may have been on Dell more than Stroud, Cj expecting Dell to flatten that route instead of running deeper. & that is plausible. Had Dell ran a shallower route the ball would have been chest high. He could have snatched it out of the air & turned up field.

There was a similar throw to Woods (or maybe Brown) hard to say who was more right, the receiver or the QB.

Then there was one thrown behind Nico. Had it been in front & in stride, there was nothing between Nico & the end zone.

Again, not blaming anyone in particular, they just weren't in sync.

Bottom line, the OL has to play better than last week. They looked pretty good in the win over the Steelers.

I didn't see a difference. I was hoping someone would post Atlanta's pressure stats.

Run game they were better. Still not good, but Pearce got 3 yards untouched a few times. Other times he chose the wrong gap. But the OL was better imo.

Bottom line, the OL has to play better than last week. They looked pretty good in the win over the Steelers. However, they didn't really look like a geled OL due to injury and just overall last week. Tunsil was not ready to come back. He was pretty much just going through the motions. He didn't have his typical power and movement. Other players just didn't play well. With no OL to speak of, teams can all but tee off on CJ and our RBs. If Tunsil is healthy this week that's a plus. The other 4 just need to do their jobs. If they don't and we don't put in the backup at an OL position that is struggling...it could be a long day.

And the D has to play well all 4 quarters. We don't need and can't afford a lapse like last week in the final few miles.

If both are good to go, I can see us winning the game. And winning by a TD or more. I don’t want to predict the score until I hear how the OL is doing health wise. I have faith that the D doesn't want to surrender another game winner. I fully believe Meco has them ready.

I see a win if the line is ready. As for the score, no idea. It could be a strong showing if the OL is good to go. If not, to win it will be close and CJ and the skill players are going to have to play lights out...while not making any true mistakes.

If both play well a solid win is a high probability. If the OL is a mess still, a win in a close game if CJ and the skill player can play near mistake free. I really want to see CJ do what is in the article link below.

Last week the Falcons had the #3 ranked run defense. This week the Saints have the #18 ranked run defense.

Tunsil actually had a reasonably good game last week for pass defense, giving up 1 hit and 1 hurry. He has never been anything more than average in run blocking. Last week he graded out at 60.1, off only a couple of points from his career average.

He & others (me) were saying this before the draft. I guess this is his way of saying I told you so.

But... two candidates for OROY is on our team so I don't think there were as many offensive play makers in the last draft as I had hoped.

Still, if Stroud wasn't having accuracy problems there could have been more big plays... I'm not blaming Cj, just saying.

The one Dell got hurt on, if it were thrown higher, more accurately, that could have been an even huger play & maybe even a TD. O'Sullivan said that may have been on Dell more than Stroud, Cj expecting Dell to flatten that route instead of running deeper. & that is plausible. Had Dell ran a shallower route the ball would have been chest high. He could have snatched it out of the air & turned up field.

There was a similar throw to Woods (or maybe Brown) hard to say who was more right, the receiver or the QB.

Then there was one thrown behind Nico. Had it been in front & in stride, there was nothing between Nico & the end zone.

Again, not blaming anyone in particular, they just weren't in sync.
I'm not an I told you so kind of guy. I just hope they give Stroud the weapons he needs to be successful.

He was still good last week, but not as good as the 2 weeks before. If he plays as well as he did last week and makes a couple of more plays then this team will win a lot of games. Another adjustment DC's are going to make is making Stroud throw outside the numbers more often. Stroud's shown he can make these throws in college. Now he's just got to translate what he did in college to the NFL.

Or

There were three dropped passes that could have changed the game.

Jags & Steelers it seemed like we couldn't do no wrong. Whatever ill came, they found a way to overcome it. Falcons for some reason one bad play led to another.

Also I saw a stat saying Cj was much more efficient inside the numbers than out. If that's true, maybe the Falcons took away the middle more often than we realized & forced him to throw outside more than he wanted. I don't know, have to rewatch the game. I remember a lot of success in the middle of the field, but I also remember a lot of incomplete passed.

& his accuracy seemed a little off for some reason.

Still, I'm in "fun watching them grow" mode. Doesn't upset me they lost last week, & I'm not watching expecting a win tomorrow. Just excited to see them get on the field again & do what they do.
Playmakers make those plays.

I'm excited to see the young guys grow together. Like I said before the Derrick stuff went down, this team will be better off in the long run because of the rebuild. They were on a treadmill of upward mediocrity. Now with the draft picks and cap space they have the ability to be a true contender.

I don't have a good feeling about this game. But the schedule after the bye is favorable for the Texans to at least get to five or six wins for the season.

I don't have a good feeling about this game. But the schedule after the bye is favorable for the Texans to at least get to five or six wins for the season.

I think we're all surprised by how well CJ Stroud is doing, and sometime forget the Texans still aren't a very good team yet. It's nice though that we can see the beginnings of a good team. Let's hope DeMeco and Caserio continue their good work together and CJ stays healthy.

Honestly, I have no idea what to expect today. I'm hoping to get a nice surprise on my TV. :)

Mr. Positive.

Unless we see a resurgence from Alvin Kamara, there's not a lot of top end talent on the Saints. But there is solid depth across there roster. The Saints will try to play a ball control game and let the Texans beat themselves. If the Texans don't make big mistakes, they should be in this game all the way.

Saints are benching their starting LT Trevor Penning. Last year’s first round pick:

From the article...

"had his NFL debut delayed by nearly three months by a torn foot ligament, and he sustained a Lisfranc injury in Week 18 of the 2022 season that required multiple surgeries. All in all, Penning played in his just six games (one start) in his rookie campaign and saw a mere 58 snaps at left tackle."

How the heck did the Texan's scouting department miss this guy, I know we didn't need an LT but this is exactly the type of player we like to target in the first round of the draft! He should have been a Texan.

I vote we make him an honorary Texan - he has the right qualifications.

(for those of you who MAY have missed it - I kid) - mandatory :kitten: and :sarcasm:

Inactives:
SAINTS
  • S J.T. Gray
  • TE Juwan Johnson
  • S Lonnie Johnson Jr.
  • QB Jake Luton
  • WR A.T. Perry
  • DE Kyle Phillips
  • OL Landon Young

TEXANS
  • WR Tank Dell
  • CB Tavierre Thomas
  • LB Denzel Perryman
  • QB Case Keenum
  • RB Dare Ogunbowale
  • G Nick Broeker

Looks like they are keeping Perryman and Thomas out until they don’t need a club. Smart moves.

Christian Harris is back in. Tank Dell out as expected.

Noah Brown active. Expect him to resume his role as WR with 3rd most snaps.

Surprised Josh Jones is active with his thumb injury.

"He's playing great," Saints cornerback Alontae Taylor said of the No. 2 pick. "I think it's just going to get better for him. He's been setting records already only going into Week 6 of his NFL career. Big for him, but [he's going against] I think one of the best defenses in the country. He's got to show those same numbers [this week]."
With the Saints, Stroud won't get away with the "almost interceptions" that Lady Luck afforded him last week.

Mr. Positive.

Unless we see a resurgence from Alvin Kamara, there's not a lot of top end talent on the Saints. But there is solid depth across there roster. The Saints will try to play a ball control game and let the Texans beat themselves. If the Texans don't make big mistakes, they should be in this game all the way.

The Saints defense are a tough match-up for the Texans. The best thing the Texans do at this point is pass the ball and the best thing the Saints defense does is defend against the pass. They're very, very good against the pass. The Saints are second in the league in picking the ball off. And the Texans haven't shown they can run the ball. If the Texans had shown they can run the ball with some success at any point in the season up to today, I'd feel better about this game.

CJ is still a rookie. If he's going to struggle this year, it'll probably be against a top-rated pass defense. That is what the Saints are.

Just trying to be objective.

Intolerance of what?
Objective statements?

Objectively, Stroud is eventually going to struggle and it will likely be against a team that defends the pass well. I think that makes sense. Optimistically, Stroud plays superb today, the Texans run the ball well, and the defense has one of their best games of the year.

There's room on this board for objectivity and optimism. I'm certainly not going to try and piss on anyone's cornflakes. Stroud plays well and the Texans win, we all win.

Texans are better this year than last year no? Pierce an Offensive Rookie of the Year candidate over 900 yards and then injured out last month 2022. Sure would like to see Pierce like that and get that running game energized again. Slowly increasing the run yardage after 5 games hopefully today will be a breakout game of over 100 rushing yards.

Last edited:
Texans are better this year than last year no? Pierce an Offensive Rookie of the Year candidate over 900 yards and then injured out last month 2022. Sure would like to see Pierce like that and get that running game energized again. Slowly increasing the run yardage after 5 games hopefully today will be a breakout game of over 100 yards.
No doubt the Texans are better this year than last. I think we all expected the Texans would be better. Very low bar to hurdle.

I don't know why the Texans have been so poor running the ball. Probably the injuries on the o-line has been a major contributor. It was relatively healthy last weekend but they still only netted 65 yards on the ground. Singletary had no carries, Pierce had 20 for only 66 yards. I hope they're better today.

No doubt the Texans are better this year than last. I think we all expected the Texans would be better. Very low bar to hurdle.

I don't know why the Texans have been so poor running the ball. Probably the injuries on the o-line has been a major contributor. It was relatively healthy last weekend but they still only netted 65 yards on the ground. Singletary had no carries, Pierce had 20 for only 66 yards. I hope they're better today.
Yep. I had read some where a few weeks ago that Pierce lost weight and was practicing his game to be a receiver more this year. idnk if that source was true. Losing weight can affect performance for better or worse no?

Okay, let’s get this thing started. I’ve enjoyed my homemade chili and got all the chores done before the KO!!!!!

Back