Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 6: Texans vs Saints

Anyone else trying to figure out why Pierce is not looking like the RB from last year?

I had a theory that the weight he lost has him around 200lbs. And he just doesn't have the power to break the tackles he did last year. I think he needs to add that say 10lbs back. He was drafted around 220lbs. If he indeed cut weight to be faster. IMO it robbed him of a bit of power. And for a "power back" so to speak, 10+ lbs didn't make him any faster or quicker. It made him lighter and he is not as powerful to break tackles. Thoughts?

Meanwhile, Singletary is only a few pounds over 200lbs (209-ish). And is more compact at 5' 7" vs 5' 10 of Pierce. So, he is running better due to his style. Pierce needed to put the weight back on. 10lbs or so isn't really helping his power, speed or cutting. Yet it is make it easier to bring him down. He just seems to be lacking the thump he had last year

Too bad CJ didn't set another record INT related. But, at least we stripped the ball on that INT.
I posted this in another thread since there have been a ton of questions regarding DP and his weight and lack of success this year. So I posed the following:

For those that are criticizing DP and his attempts and yards vs DS and Boone and calling for him to get benched....I have a serious ? for yall.

What is the breakdown of run attempts for each back to the Left, Up the middle, and to the Right??

Watching the game I recall most if not all of DS's and Boones runs were behind Tunsil and Howard and for some reason Slowik likes to run DP behind Fant or some failing block of TE over the right side or straight up the middle when the box is stacked.

Really want to know if its just me or if my eyes and memory are failing me....b/c if thats the case then the comparison is apples to oranges and the hate is just that...hater trying to hate.

So I dont know if its a weight issue, a power issue, a vision issue, or a play calling issue.

He seems just as fast if not faster, still powerful and needing multiple people to bring him down, I will admit there are some runs where his vision doesnt look the best, but on most of his runs he's meeing a defender as soon as he is handed or pitched the ball due to poor blocking or just excellent D play.

So its an honest question and think its needs to asked.

Anyone else trying to figure out why Pierce is not looking like the RB from last year?

I had a theory that the weight he lost has him around 200lbs. And he just doesn't have the power to break the tackles he did last year. I think he needs to add that say 10lbs back. He was drafted around 220lbs. If he indeed cut weight to be faster. IMO it robbed him of a bit of power. And for a "power back" so to speak, 10+ lbs didn't make him any faster or quicker. It made him lighter and he is not as powerful to break tackles. Thoughts?

Meanwhile, Singletary is only a few pounds over 200lbs (209-ish). And is more compact at 5' 7" vs 5' 10 of Pierce. So, he is running better due to his style. Pierce needed to put the weight back on. 10lbs or so isn't really helping his power, speed or cutting. Yet it is make it easier to bring him down. He just seems to be lacking the thump he had last year

Too bad CJ didn't set another record INT related. But, at least we stripped the ball on that INT.
I think it's just style. In Buffalo, the head coach is off the Reid tree which means zbs. Singletary is disciplined enough to press the heals and either stay on the rail outside or cutback. Pierce is more of a let me see the hole or pick the hole type. So when he gets the ball, you see alot of hesitation. He's been running like that his entire life. Doesn't mean he's a bad back, he just doesn't fit this scheme.

Nico is big enough and fast enough to stretch the field plus he has a big catch radius. They're going to have to adjust because are clouding the middle of the field and that's also restricting the run game.
That's why the Texans need to keep running Jet Sweeps & reverses to stretch the field horizontally until they get it right, or get the run game going.

I posted this in another thread since there have been a ton of questions regarding DP and his weight and lack of success this year. So I posed the following:

For those that are criticizing DP and his attempts and yards vs DS and Boone and calling for him to get benched....I have a serious ? for yall.

What is the breakdown of run attempts for each back to the Left, Up the middle, and to the Right??

Watching the game I recall most if not all of DS's and Boones runs were behind Tunsil and Howard and for some reason Slowik likes to run DP behind Fant or some failing block of TE over the right side or straight up the middle when the box is stacked.

Really want to know if its just me or if my eyes and memory are failing me....b/c if thats the case then the comparison is apples to oranges and the hate is just that...hater trying to hate.

So I dont know if its a weight issue, a power issue, a vision issue, or a play calling issue.

He seems just as fast if not faster, still powerful and needing multiple people to bring him down, I will admit there are some runs where his vision doesnt look the best, but on most of his runs he's meeing a defender as soon as he is handed or pitched the ball due to poor blocking or just excellent D play.

So its an honest question and think its needs to asked.

I think it is both OL and the weight issue. Dropping a few pounds didn't make his speed change. 4.5 at 218 is 4.5 at 205. Agility, it can improve with just basic work. So, something doesn't work out you go back to the style that did. I love DP so don't get it twisted. And Fant was playing as well or better than the current players. So...you also have that.

I think it's just style. In Buffalo, the head coach is off the Reid tree which means zbs. Singletary is disciplined enough to press the heals and either stay on the rail outside or cutback. Pierce is more of a let me see the hole or pick the hole type. So when he gets the ball, you see alot of hesitation. He's been running like that his entire life. Doesn't mean he's a bad back, he just doesn't fit this scheme.
Exactly

I think Cordarrele Patterson would be a great fit in this scheme. He's on the trade block and should be cheap to get.

I wouldn't trade for Patterson unless it's a 6ish rd. They just need to give Singletary more carries

Patterson is going to likely want more money than a 2nd or 3rd round pick that is a very good player. We just need to be sure that we go after a high grade WR not an ok WR. And with the QBs is the draft, a 1st round graded WR could slide to us in a later round. Probably first half of the 2nd round. I think Caserio will get someone who will be able to be a strong asset to the offense. Be it a FA or draft pick

Patterson is going to likely want more money than a 2nd or 3rd round pick that is a very good player. We just need to be sure that we go after a high grade WR not an ok WR. And with the QBs is the draft, a 1st round graded WR could slide to us in a later round. Probably first half of the 2nd round. I think Caserio will get someone who will be able to be a strong asset to the offense. Be it a FA or draft pick

Ryans/Caserio will probably be picking in the 15-20 range and if one of the top 5 WR's fall to them they should run the card to God'ell.

Like his move to draft Stroud and Anderson? Don't sit around waiting for next year to draft a QB? :kitten:

Yep, if you believe in your guys you go and get them. If you dont think this is a good class for your needs you wait. In short draft to the strength of the draft.

Ryans/Caserio will probably be picking in the 15-20 range and if one of the top 5 WR's fall to them they should run the card to God'ell.
I don't there will be more than 1 wr drafted in top 15. As we've witnessed especially with college football and the spread, wrs are all up and down in the draft. Most teams have 2 high end guys at wr. No need to panic honestly.

Back