Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 6: Texans vs Saints

Texansballer74

The Marine

The Houston Texans (2-3) return home and try to get back in the W column with an interconference matchup against the New Orleans Saints (3-2).

Last week, the Texans' momentum slowed when the Atlanta Falcons beat them 21-19. The defense forced two turnovers and rookie quarterback CJ Stroud went 20-of-35 for 249 yards and a touchdown.
The Saints put on a 34-0 clinic against the New England Patriots as Derek Carr's shoulder looked healthy and Alvin Kamara got settled back into his role. Kamara had 22 carries for 80 yards and a touchdown, which gave him 73 career scores, a franchise record.

The two teams last faced off in 2019 when the Saints won 30-28.

The Houston Texans (2-3) return home and try to get back in the W column with an interconference matchup against the New Orleans Saints (3-2).

Last week, the Texans' momentum slowed when the Atlanta Falcons beat them 21-19. The defense forced two turnovers and rookie quarterback CJ Stroud went 20-of-35 for 249 yards and a touchdown.
The Saints put on a 34-0 clinic against the New England Patriots as Derek Carr's shoulder looked healthy and Alvin Kamara got settled back into his role. Kamara had 22 carries for 80 yards and a touchdown, which gave him 73 career scores, a franchise record.

The two teams last faced off in 2019 when the Saints won 30-28.
Ridder.... over 300 yards.... 1st time in his career... aaaarrrrgggghhhh.

It will be interesting to see how well Stroud and Co can compete against the Saints Pass D, short Dell most likely going against Lattimore and that secondary. If Stroud can put up a good game against a stingy Pass D short one of his best playmakers, then he’s definitely ascending quickly. Great measuring stick game for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be interesting to see how well Stroud and Co can compete against the Saints Pass D, short Dell most likely going against Lattimore and that secondary. If Stroud can put up a good game against a stingy Pass D short one of his best playmakers, then he’s definitely ascending quickly. Great measuring stick game for him.

Will Dell be back in time for this game??? Has he progressed in the concussion protocol?? I figured we were going to get our first real dose of X. Hutch in this one...which he isnt as fast but def has a knack for getting open and has great natural hands

which Nico Collins will we see? Which Pierce ..the 90 percent of last game or the last few minutes? Which Tunsil and Howard.. 2022 or vs Falcons? Which Slowik.. okay, you get my point.

I think it should be noted that while the Saints defense has played well they have not had very stiff competition thus far. They played the Patriots the worst offense in the league last week, the Panthers who are a bottom 5 offense, the Packers who are average at best, and the Titans who have a bad offense as well. The only good offense they've played so far is the Bucs where they let Baker throw for 3 TD's on them and put up 26 points. Not saying they are a paper tiger but it is certainly a bit of a possibility.

Now if I were a Saints fan reading this I'd probably turn that right back around on the Texans as we haven't faced much in the way of great teams so far either. This should be a close matchup, close enough that I don't feel any confidence picking a winner. Will depend on whether or not we can get pressure and how good their secondary actually is.

If he can extend a few more drives and equalize TOP, the D will be more rested.
More help from our own run game will also be needed.

So four starters did not practice on Wednesday (Tunsil, Woods, Collins, Griffin) in addition to Tank. Not great. It seems to me that Tunsil, Collins, and Griffin might have regressed in their recovery. So that would leave the projected starting lineup as:

Stroud
Pierce
Collins, Brown, Metchie
Schultz
Howard, Jones, Patterson, Mason, Fant

Anderson, Hinish (although I think I'd prefer Davis), Rankins, Greenard
Harris (I'd prefer Cashman to start here), To'oTo'o
Nelson, Hollman, Thomas
Ward, Pitre

I'm honestly okay with how that oline formation looks. It would be nice if Metchie choose this week to have his breakout game. I think Thomas being back will have a big impact on the secondary.

No excuse on the Falcons' first and last drives.

In both instances, the D was well rested.
They just didn't play well enough.
Sometimes you have to tip your cap to the other team.
Yeah, sometimes I hit the pipe a little early in the day myself.
And by sometimes you mean all the time.
Saints are 0-2 against the Texans in Houston.
Yeah, but the Saints were stuck with some nobody at QB named Brees, then. A Carr is back in the building on Sunday. This version is also 0-2 at the stadium on Kirby.

So four starters did not practice on Wednesday (Tunsil, Woods, Collins, Griffin) in addition to Tank. Not great. It seems to me that Tunsil, Collins, and Griffin might have regressed in their recovery. So that would leave the projected starting lineup as:

Stroud
Pierce
Collins, Brown, Metchie
Schultz

Nelson, Hollman, Thomas
Ward, Pitre

I'm honestly okay with how that oline formation looks. It would be nice if Metchie choose this week to have his breakout game. I think Thomas being back will have a big impact on the secondary.
Collins didn't practice last week either but then he started the game

I know Shaq Griffin, Tunsil, Collins, Thomas, Harris, and Woods practiced today so I barring setbacks seems like those guys will all be out there sunday. Looks like Dell will probably miss the game which is pretty unfortunate. We did see Thomas out there practicing all last week and he didn't play so not sure if he'll be out there.

Dell is a big loss but will be nice to get some of those defensive guys back out there.

Stroud
Pierce
Collins, Brown, Metchie
Schultz

Nelson, Hollman, Thomas
Ward, Pitre

I'm thinking they keep Howard at LG and put Jones at LT.

CJ is going to be challenged this game. The Saints defense is good, but I really appreciate Stroud’s dedication. It seems like he does a lot of prep work and film watching before the game.

Hopefully our offense can step up and our defense can force some turnovers. I’d love to go into the bye 3-3.

CJ is going to be challenged this game. The Saints defense is good, but I really appreciate Stroud’s dedication. It seems like he does a lot of prep work and film watching before the game.

Hopefully our offense can step up and our defense can force some turnovers. I’d love to go into the bye 3-3.
I think the biggest issue is that Slo is very predictable in his play calling. He needs to use the passing game to open up the running game.

"He's playing great," Saints cornerback Alontae Taylor said of the No. 2 pick. "I think it's just going to get better for him. He's been setting records already only going into Week 6 of his NFL career. Big for him, but [he's going against] I think one of the best defenses in the country. He's got to show those same numbers [this week]."

Slow isn’t running on every first down though. Teams just don’t respect our offense. He do need to be more creative. He also need to stick with what worked against the Jaguars and Steelers. That switching up the game plan for every team is for the birds. Make them stop you and then adjust accordingly.

Slow isn’t running on every first down though. Teams just don’t respect our offense. He do need to be more creative. He also need to stick with what worked against the Jaguars and Steelers. That switching up the game plan for every team is for the birds. Make them stop you and then adjust accordingly.
Did he change thing up or did big plays like the Dell TD/Beck TD etc... happen , but they didn't happen last game? Gotta keep Dell healthy and give the OL a couple of weeks to jell.

Big plays on both sides of the ball win games. There wasn't enough big plays to win last game. This is why I hope this offseason Ryans/Caserio gives Stroud some play makers.

Did he change thing up or did big plays like the Dell TD/Beck TD etc... happen , but they didn't happen last game? Gotta keep Dell healthy and give the OL a couple of weeks to jell.

Big plays on both sides of the ball win games. There wasn't enough big plays to win last game. This is why I hope this offseason Ryans/Caserio gives Stroud some play makers.
I agree we need more big plays and they didnt happen last game...but im gonna have to disagree that there wasnt enough to win last game....CJ did get us all the way down the field and in the endzone to give us the lead with less than 2 mins left in the game...That should have been a W.

I agree we need more big plays and they didnt happen last game...but im gonna have to disagree that there wasnt enough to win last game....CJ did get us all the way down the field and in the endzone to give us the lead with less than 2 mins left in the game...That should have been a W.

I agree it should've been a W.

Imagine having weapons like say Bowers or Odunze or Sanders. Think those guys could've made a difference in that game?

After all, despite the holes on the defense, the defense only gave up 21 points.

Back