Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 6 @ Indy

I think it is on Kelly, but I don't like the horizontal pass plays as much as I do going down field with the vertical game. Percentage may go down, but more of a chance for big plays.
If they're playing cover two primarily, we have to find a way to get a safety to come down predictably.

Without a bonafide rushing attack we have to get creative.

TY Hilton had to leave the game in the 4th quarter after he suffered a hamstring tear. From what I can gather, it was a grade II right hamstring tear. He has had an extensive history of right hamstring tears. In a pregame post, I stated that after only 3 walk-throughs and non contact practices, he should not play after such a long stint away from football. As it turns out, he will likely miss a number of games after having the satisfaction of playing the Texans.

TY Hilton had to leave the game in the 4th quarter after he suffered a hamstring tear. From what I can gather, it was a grade II right hamstring tear. He has had an extensive history of right hamstring tears. In a pregame post, I stated that after only 3 walk-throughs and non contact practices, he should not play after such a long stint away from football. As it turns out, he will likely miss a number of games after having the satisfaction of playing the Texans.
Sometimes, it borders on malpractice. With those details and so much of the season left, why was he still playing in the 4th quarter of a blowout win? At what point does a trainer, medical staff or even a coach determine that with such a lead, they should protect a player?

Texans offense the last 4 games (all Mills starts), they're averaging 8.5 points per game, and have been outscored 120-34. That's not only a -86 point differential, it's -21.5 points per game. They had 43 pass plays in this game and had 243 yards. Colts had 20 pass plays and 223 yards. Texans ran 74 offensive plays, Colts 48, and the Colts outgained the Texans 388-353.

Mills, BTW, ties David Carr for most INT (6) in team history in their 1st 4 starts.

If they're playing cover two primarily, we have to find a way to get a safety to come down predictably.

Without a bonafide rushing attack we have to get creative.
Not really. Cover 2 is actually easy money when you have a oc who know what he's doing. Go watch the Colts vs Bears super bowl. They ran Urlacher out with TE seam routes and ran angle routes out the backfield to the backs. When Texans showed Cover 2, Indy ran scissor routes and the safeties were late.

He's learning and yes he needs to improve in this area. But he's not strictly a 1 read QB. Look at the catches that Ingram/DJ had today. Those were checkdowns and not his 1st read.

This has been overstated.
It’s not being overstated and to be fair, most rookie QBs do it.

BTW. It‘s okay to root for the kid while honestly acknowledging his play. Previously, the opinions were anyone can put up stats in garbage time. Now, the Texans are not even scoring in garbage time, but it’s ignored and I’m reading posts that he is holding his own.

Last edited:
That be quite concerning especially once teams have film on mills

Colts had plenty of film on Mills and so does every opponent on the schedule after WK6. This will be Mills real growth period as he tackles disguised coverages that defenses will utilize to take advantage of their film work on Mills. The key for Mills……can Kelly unarse himself from OB’s methodology and help this guy succeed? Kelly must do everything within his scope of knowledge to help eliminate the 2nd and 3rd and long situations b/c the way it looks at the moment……he has the opposing DC scripting his plays. I’m sure Kelly thinks about throwing caution to the wind but then the voice crackles over his headset and simply states, “stick to the script”.

If Kelly really wanted to help Mills get through his upcoming game with the Cardinals he’d scrap his failed plans to date and roll out something completely different.

Instead of using the run game for anything more than blitz pickup change it up and utilize the spread offense and it’s quick hit short passes to help pull the defense out of full throttle blitz mode. You, me, and every football fan know that the Cardinals are coming into this game to pack their sack stats. So Kelly would do himself, Mills, and the Texans and start the game in a spread with quick-hit short passes while running a no-huddle 2-minute offense. If anything, the Cardinals defense would quickly understand that this isn’t the Texans offense they prepared for all week. At some point later in the game a draw or two and some running plays just might have a little bit more of a chance at success sine the block may not be stacked.

Last edited:
I agree he doesn't do it all the time but he still does it quite a bit.....well atleast to me
Mills, for the majority of the game and excepting 4th Q trash time, was completing over 70% of his passes. If these were his first reads, what's the problem? Plays are designed for that first read to be open. Only when defenses have that receiver covered do you go to your second read. With a 70%+ completion rate, Mills was getting the ball to his primary receiver, or properly checking down when called for. IMO.

BTW. It‘s okay to root for the kid while honestly acknowledging his play. Previously, the opinions were anyone can put up stats in garbage time. Now, the Texans are not even scoring in garbage time, but it’s ignored and I’m reading posts that he is holding his own.
On the other hand, throwing out garbage time, Mills was completing 70%+ of his throws, hitting his primary receiver and checking down when necessary. Play calling is on Kelly and lack of scoring is more rightly placed on the OL and RB's.

So the question is, what more could Mills do?

This offense is portraying the same issues we had last season with Kelly. Too many stale runs up the middle and lack of attacking downfield. Too often we have Mills handcuffed and when they turn him loose, its too late and the defense is pinned back rushing him. The entire organization is trash.

Kelly called basically 1 good game. Even doing that, while Mills was 21/29 3TDs 0INTs/TOs...after the half he was back to the stale useless plays. He was not using the TEs as receivers as he did in the 1st half. And so on. And what happened? We lost. I am starting to think that Kelly needs to go. He is not creative or smart enough to take advantage and win 1vs1 against most DCs in the NFL.

On the other hand, throwing out garbage time, Mills was completing 70%+ of his throws, hitting his primary receiver and checking down when necessary. Play calling is on Kelly and lack of scoring is more rightly placed on the OL and RB's.

Nothing except if it is not there throw it away. I watched both INTs and 1 was a bad read, the other one was waiting for a WR to get open and throwing it and hoping he could catch it. Bad choice he could have tossed it into the stand and then tried on the next down. Past that, Mills looked like a rookie who is no question learning about the game and getting better

Not really. Cover 2 is actually easy money when you have a oc who know what he's doing. Go watch the Colts vs Bears super bowl. They ran Urlacher out with TE seam routes and ran angle routes out the backfield to the backs. When Texans showed Cover 2, Indy ran scissor routes and the safeties were late.
Kelly called basically 1 good game. Even doing that, while Mills was 21/29 3TDs 0INTs/TOs...after the half he was back to the stale useless plays. He was not using the TEs as receivers as he did in the 1st half. And so on. And what happened? We lost. I am starting to think that Kelly needs to go. He is not creative or smart enough to take advantage and win 1vs1 against most DCs in the NFL.
^^^these^^
Ive said it for a while now. Kelly is in over his head. He has two running plays. Run up the middle and a trap play. The WR screen is crap, just get rid of it. The receivers can’t block, and the Oline is way too slow to get out there to block anyone.
This offense is bad and Kelly isn’t helping any with his OB offense.

Having to listen to the game on the radio, I just kept hearing completion after completion. Mills had two int's, the first was a real bummer on the first possession of the 2nd half. The second, I believe,, was in the 4th Q in garbage time.

Reading the Chronicle this morning, both McClain and Mills had comments that the Texans were trying to get the ball downfield but the receivers were covered up. If so, then Mills was effectively going to his check down receivers.

This also raises a question of how effectively the Colts' zone coverage was in covering up the receivers and was Mills not seeing open receivers?

Change his name to
DeDavis Millson.

It's not about rooting for him. He makes rookie mistakes, like the 2nd int that he tried to fit in between the CB and S. But to say he only looks at his 1st read when I've pointed out instances where this isn't true is just flat out wrong.

What I wonder and where I think he may really need to improve is in making the OL calls. Or maybe the OL is really just that bad.

It's not about rooting for him. He makes rookie mistakes, like the 2nd int that he tried to fit in between the CB and S. But to say he only looks at his 1st read when I've pointed out instances where this isn't true is just flat out wrong.

What I wonder and where I think he may really need to improve is in making the OL calls. Or maybe the OL is really just that bad.
What are Trevor Lawrence numbers so far this season?

The Texans won't win a game with Mills playing like this.

Both recorded INTs were on first and 10, with no pressure.

The line on the Cardinals game was 14.5 mid afternoon yesterday.

A couple of hours later, it went up to 17 to 17.5

It's not going to be pretty next week just the same.

Both recorded INTs were on first and 10, with no pressure.

The line on the Cardinals game was 14.5 mid afternoon yesterday.

A couple of hours later, it went up to 17 to 17.5

It's not going to be pretty next week just the same.
Kelly is getting a bad rap. He is seriously handicapped in what he can do. He's working with a less than average OL. The RBs are mediocre at best. He has a rookie QB who can be highly effective with a predetermined RB/WR route that is < 10 yards with a check down backup. This is what keeps Mills completion % at high levels and why he looks good at times. However when Kelly wants to call a intermediate (> 10+ yards) or a deep pass, Mills is not the same QB. Those plays come with less accuracy, missed throws, more sacks, INTs and turnovers. To Kelly's credit Mills doesn't have full grasp of the playbook so Kelly is limited there. Also Kelly doesn't have the talent level needed to execute the playbook at a higher level. And David Culley is no help at all. Kelly is compromised in more ways than one. Much of this is also why Tyrod Taylor gives the Texans a better chance to win.

Last edited:
Playing like what? The int's?

Did you see the bone headed int Mahomes threw up in his game?

I agree that first int Miller threw at the beginning of the 2nd half was really bad. But all qb's throw int's.

The Texans winning or losing is more on Kelly, the OL and the DB's than it is on Miller, especially on his 1st half play. Though I do agree that Miller is playing like a rookie.

Kelly is getting a bad rap. He is seriously handicapped in what he can do. He's working with a less than average OL. The RBs are mediocre at best. He has a rookie QB who can be highly effective with a predetermined RB/WR route that is < 10 yard route with a check down backup. This is what keeps Mills completion % at high levels and why he looks good at times. However when Kelly wants to call a mid range (> 10+ yards) or a deep pass, Mills is not the same QB. Those plays come with less accuracy, missed throws, more sacks, INTs and turnovers. To Kelly's credit Mills doesn't have full grasp of the playbook so Kelly is limited there. Also Kelly doesn't have the talent level needed to execute the playbook at a higher level. And David Culley is no help at all. Kelly is compromised in more ways than one. Much of this is also why Tyrod Taylor gives the Texans a better chance to win.
I think Mills has shown he is accurate in the mid range, 10 to 20 yards. But it was pointed out that he only had one pass greater than 20 yards. That's a small sample size. The Chronicle reported the deep game was covered up. But if you are implying that Miller is not putting the team on his shoulders and carrying the team to wins, you are correct. But I think that expectation is a bit overboard for a rookie. This offense is bad and has a serious lack of talent on the OL and the backfield.

I like what I'm seeing out of Mills, but I can't wait until Tyrod comes back. What we're doing with Mills is totally unfair, putting him in this situation.

Fair/Unfair... that's life. I would like to see Tyrod come back & play a little. But I really, really, want to see what Mills would do against that defense the second time he sees it.

To clarify, I'm good with Tyrod coming back & starting for a couple of games, but I want Mills back out there shortly. Mills needs to get back to basics. Focusing on fundamentals. He's getting way to comfortable throwing the ball on the move with neither foot on the ground.

Fair/Unfair... that's life. I would like to see Tyrod come back & play a little. But I really, really, want to see what Mills would do against that defense the second time he sees it.

To clarify, I'm good with Tyrod coming back & starting for a couple of games, but I want Mills back out there shortly. Mills needs to get back to basics. Focusing on fundamentals. He's getting way to comfortable throwing the ball on the move with neither foot on the ground.
Agreed. This is a trial by fire and ultimately it’s good for Mills.
Lawrence is going through it too.
It’s not ideal but can really force development and mental fortitude in a player of high intelligence.

Agreed. This is a trial by fire and ultimately it’s good for Mills.
Lawrence is going through it too.
It’s not ideal but can really force development and mental fortitude in a player of high intelligence.

I don't want to compare him to Lawrence who played the best of the best over 30 games at the collegiate level. But Mills does not look lost. He appears to be handling the situation. I just think he needs to decompress a bit & focus on fundamentals.

That rookie wall hits everyone & he's starting to do things he should know better.

Kelly is getting a bad rap. He is seriously handicapped in what he can do. He's working with a less than average OL. The RBs are mediocre at best. He has a rookie QB who can be highly effective with a predetermined RB/WR route that is < 10 yards with a check down backup. This is what keeps Mills completion % at high levels and why he looks good at times. However when Kelly wants to call a intermediate (> 10+ yards) or a deep pass, Mills is not the same QB. Those plays come with less accuracy, missed throws, more sacks, INTs and turnovers. To Kelly's credit Mills doesn't have full grasp of the playbook so Kelly is limited there. Also Kelly doesn't have the talent level needed to execute the playbook at a higher level. And David Culley is no help at all. Kelly is compromised in more ways than one. Much of this is also why Tyrod Taylor gives the Texans a better chance to win.

So you want to go with Tyrod and possibly win 4-5 games?

Kelly has earned that rap over the yrs, not just this yr.

I think Mills has shown he is accurate in the mid range, 10 to 20 yards. But it was pointed out that he only had one pass greater than 20 yards. That's a small sample size. The Chronicle reported the deep game was covered up. But if you are implying that Miller is not putting the team on his shoulders and carrying the team to wins, you are correct. But I think that expectation is a bit overboard for a rookie. This offense is bad and has a serious lack of talent on the OL and the backfield.

I would run Ingram into the ground and use Phillips for 5-8 carries a game. Gotta see what the young guys can do. Also Ingram can block in pass pro/catch the ball and hit the holes hard if there are holes there. Unlike DJ who isn't physical and Lindsay who seems to have tunnel vision.

Back