Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 5: Texans vs Falcons

The audacity of perspective..

We are a fanbase desperate to have something to get excited about. Those O’Brien years were the most joyless, unsatisfying string of seasons anyone in this town has ever been subjected to. Playoffs yearly, early exits, and always being just a game above .500 watching great plays by Watson pull crappy games out of the fire. I hated it. Demeco is doing good. Building a team that’s fun to watch. We just gotta be patient. Nobody on Kirby is selling us Tom Savage or Brian Hoyer. We’re on the right path. Just going to take a season or two to get this consistently rolling.

My only knock on Cj this game would be correcting his body language when the game isn’t going his way. I like the fact he showed emotion. It means he’s passionate and cares but rolling your eyes after a receiver drops a pass and looking sad on the sideline when you’re going 3 in out consecutively isn’t a good look. It sucks we lost by 1 point but I rather lose by that 1 than to get blown out.

This is such a silly take IMO. We aren't good enough or proven enough yet to have any trap games this season.
I fear our team bought into the recent hype. Not saying we are considered much better but human nature says we felt we were the better team based on how the previous two games went and how the Falcons previous two games went. We man handled the Jaguars and then the Falcons lost to those Jaguars. In and of itself doesn't mean anything but a young team may get overconfident based on that kind of thinking. Personally I feel we are the better team.

Defense... would have been nice to get a stop there at the end of the game. They got two turnovers, we should have won on that alone, but the offense kept stalling in the red zone.

Offensively there were a couple of drops, a couple of bad passes, & several throw aways. On the bright side, not a bunch of penalties, not a lot of bad decisions.

Work in progress, both sides of the ball. On to the next one. (Saints, 34-0 over the Patriots).

It’s on the whole team. Everybody. It should be obvious to everyone watching that the Texans still have a lot of things to work on. Can we put this “CJ is superman and the Texans are a whole new kind of team” crap to rest now and go on about building this team? The start of this season is about what it should be. Three losses and a couple of peeks at what could be and eventually will be. If guys keep coming back healthy and we don’t get a bunch of new injuries then they’ll be over .500 over the last 8 or so games. The start of the season was always going to be sub .500
You’re a fickle man sometimes. I mean… you’ve been hard on the Texans for decades. Then… last week… you liked one of my posts… first time -ever-. You were -excited- and that made me happy to see. Now you’re back to it… same old Herv… loosely acting as if the Texans haven’t changed.

:/

SIR… we -are- building this team. It’s done by PLAYING the game. We played. Absolutely there are things to work but we absolutely have changed as a team. Have you? You did last week. YOU are the fan that I want to see the happiest.

:)

Rookie coach has to learn some lessons too. Next time I bet we see a blitz or two on the opponent's final possession.

Meco knows better. He didn’t just fall off the turnip truck. That excuse is for losers. Which for today - the Texans are. Last two weeks I really thought DeMeco and the staff really outcoached the opposing staff.

Today that was a 180. Atlanta out-coached the Texans and DeMeco by a huge margin. Both offensively and defensively.

Bottom line is you take the lead and then you play a soft zone, don’t dial up pressure, and let this POS QB finish out the game of his life easily. DeMeco should have brought a rocking chair with him and given it to Ridder, they let that cat get way to comfy back there. Add a book or something too DeMeco. Just a terrible coaching job by DeMeco. And Slowik wasn’t a whole lot better.

Meco knows better. He didn’t just fall off the turnip truck. That excuse is for losers. Which for today - the Texans are. Last two weeks I really thought DeMeco and the staff really outcoached the opposing staff.

Today that was a 180. Atlanta out-coached the Texans and DeMeco by a huge margin. Both offensively and defensively.

Bottom line is you take the lead and then you play a soft zone, don’t dial up pressure, and let this POS QB finish out the game of his life easily. DeMeco should have brought a rocking chair with him and given it to Ridder, they let that cat get way to comfy back there. Add a book or something too DeMeco. Just a terrible coaching job by DeMeco. And Slowik wasn’t a whole lot better.

I'm sure you'll agree that Demeco's rookiness had to be somewhat of a factor.

Demeco makes a big deal about Stroud learning from mistakes, so we know Demeco is aware of the importance of learning from his own. He's not Bill O'Brien.

The root cause of this loss was the offense being unable to account for Nico being covered up. All other problems stemmed from that. The team knows now what they need to work on.

Just occurred to me: They need to get Metchie more involved. Dell is not durable enough to be available for every game. Metchie has to be the guy to take over the Y routes when Dell goes down.
You can’t say that Dell isn’t durable. This is the first time he’s been injured. Plus if you look at the replay he sacrificed his body for that first down. Dell is a good piece.

I will say that I would’ve liked to see Metchie more involved. Woods got 9 targets and only had 3 receptions. I would love to see Metchie as well as Hutch getting some more reps during the game.

You can’t say that Dell isn’t durable. This is the first time he’s been injured. Plus if you look at the replay he sacrificed his body for that first down. Dell is a good piece.

I will say that I would’ve liked to see Metchie more involved. Woods got 9 targets and only had 3 receptions. I would love to see Metchie as well as Hutch getting some more reps during the game.

Dell weighs ten more pounds than the ball boy. We all know durability will be a concern.

Has Hutch even gotten playing time?

Today it seemed like neither play caller had confidence in their respective units and played it safe. Being down at CB seemed to affect the defensive play calling quite a bit. Not sure why Slo was so conservative. I would've thrown in some reverses and flea flickers with how much the ATL defense was over pursuing the run.

Has Hutch even gotten playing time?

He came into the game with 25 offensive snaps. 2 targets, 1 catch, 9 yards. I saw him in for at least of couple of plays today. Could have been more but my eyes saw him twice. No targets though.

Reactions: JB
Watched a bit on my phone but couldn't catch all. Went to take a leak and we jumped ahead 19-18, then I did something and came back and saw we lost 21-19. Seemed like a bit of a struggle most of the game. But it's good experience hopefully.

Any big injuries, failings, referee BS, etc?

Watched a bit on my phone but couldn't catch all. Went to take a leak and we jumped ahead 19-18, then I did something and came back and saw we lost 21-19. Seemed like a bit of a struggle most of the game. But it's good experience hopefully.

Any big injuries, failings, referee BS, etc?

Never... ever... do that thing you can't remember again... cost us the game

I fear our team bought into the recent hype. Not saying we are considered much better but human nature says we felt we were the better team based on how the previous two games went and how the Falcons previous two games went. We man handled the Jaguars and then the Falcons lost to those Jaguars. In and of itself doesn't mean anything but a young team may get overconfident based on that kind of thinking. Personally I feel we are the better team.
Football is a funny game - we beat the team that beat the team that beat us in week 2.

Defense... would have been nice to get a stop there at the end of the game. They got two turnovers, we should have won on that alone, but the offense kept stalling in the red zone.

Offensively there were a couple of drops, a couple of bad passes, & several throw aways. On the bright side, not a bunch of penalties, not a lot of bad decisions.

Work in progress, both sides of the ball. On to the next one. (Saints, 34-0 over the Patriots).
Re the throw aways - would you rather he make risky throws into coverage?

His receivers weren't available every down either - especially in the second half .
Absolutely but you don’t throw it away unless you -have- to. I think he threw it away when he didn’t have to. He could have held it a little longer and give his receivers a chance to get open. I guess the all-22 will tell us the tale tomorrow.

Back