Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 5: Texans vs Falcons

You’re a fickle man sometimes. I mean… you’ve been hard on the Texans for decades. Then… last week… you liked one of my posts… first time -ever-. You were -excited- and that made me happy to see. Now you’re back to it… same old Herv… loosely acting as if the Texans haven’t changed.

:/

SIR… we -are- building this team. It’s done by PLAYING the game. We played. Absolutely there are things to work but we absolutely have changed as a team. Have you? You did last week. YOU are the fan that I want to see the happiest.

:)

Didn’t I just say something like that? I struggle with optimism but for me this is still “optimistic”. It’s just going to take a little while for this all to come together. Yeah “new era” and all that sure. Takes time to change a culture. We’re still moving in the right direction. I bet this same Falcons/Texans game gets played in the latter half of the season and the Texans win it.

Didn’t I just say something like that? I struggle with optimism but for me this is still “optimistic”. It’s just going to take a little while for this all to come together. Yeah “new era” and all that sure. Takes time to change a culture. We’re still moving in the right direction. I bet this same Falcons/Texans game gets played in the latter half of the season and the Texans win it.

Texans have a ways to go, but yeah, they are definitely moving in the right direction. For a change.

I know you did, Herv. You’re one of the most well-written posters here. Your posts carried a lot of voice in them. I feel what you write a lot and I guess I want you to write happier these days. We need more of them. I know the Texans make that hard for us though.

Lol.

Yeah this was a game that could have gone either way. Not only will it happen again but again and again. Someone (Lucky?) said that most games are close in the NFL and they’re right. Parity.

This game did not feel like the last one from the very first few minutes. It just did not seem like the Texans were in an assertive role. Last week they looked intentional and upbeat is the best way I can explain it. I did not see that any way this game. I realize that it's a young team and the coaches are also. The most irritating for me is that we could have won this game. I was surprised that Robert Woods made some huge drops. Cashman was cash and WA seemed to make the Falcons O go away from him; that's huge! We need someone on the other side to take advantage of him and where was Hughes? I saw him walking around but he was of no impact that I saw.

No running game until the end of the 4th quarter? The Falcons defense did not let up as the game was still in question so how did all of a sudden Pierce become Pierce again? The blocking didn't seem any better when Damien was cruising.
We can get better and we will.

Texans aren't going anywhere this year, I'm not concerned with this loss. I'm looking forward to the progress our rookie QB makes, because that's everything.

For once, "next year" seems reasonable for a change.
I think there’s potential to fight for the AFC South title, but only if everything aligns. That means IND and JAX need to lose.

We need to improve our red zone efficiency and figure out a way to actually have a run game.

I’m happy with what we’re doing so far though.

Absolutely but you don’t throw it away unless you -have- to. I think he threw it away when he didn’t have to. He could have held it a little longer and give his receivers a chance to get open. I guess the all-22 will tell us the tale tomorrow.
I don't mind this approach at all - let the young man come along slowly so he doesn't get shellshocked.
I think we forget he is only 5 games into his rookie season.

I don't mind this approach at all - let the young man come along slowly so he doesn't get shellshocked.
I think we forget he is only 5 games into his rookie season.
That’s fair. On the flip side, I think folks (including myself) moreso forget that he’s been playing high quality football on the big stage his entire life. I mean… after 5 games… the young man is -officially- in the NFL record books.

I guess you don't believe the studies showing that specifically WRs consistently have a significant permanent performance drop off following ACL ruptures.
This is year 2 following said ACL rupture. Granted, I've never had an ACL rupture before, so I don't know what the recovery is like.

From getting tackled by multiple 250# men multiple times a game, but that generally doesn't happen to a WR. Punt returner, yeah. I don't know why they got him returning punts. But WR, he should be fine.
Because he excelled at it in college?

Hopefully sometime this season we win a game we should have lost.

Yes.

I understand losing games and can't win every game and work in progress and all that, but I think it's justifiable to be annoyed when we lose winnable games. Frankly, I think it shows that we're further along anyway if we're even in position to win games.

If we're looking at a game and think a potential for a win or being competitive is fantasy, then you get into the fame and realize you're competing and a win is an actual possibility, you're no longer dealing with fantasy and you're dealing with real time reality and it's OK to actively adjust criticisms, etc.

Same with the season. If we somehow have progressed and become able to compete for a playoff spot, I'm gonna be pissed if we miss out you know? Same with Stroud. He's a rookie but he's got us having reasons to be excited so sometimes we'll be analyzing on a "higher" level, so to speak.

Not sure what happened with this game this week but either way all good.

From getting tackled by multiple 250# men multiple times a game, but that generally doesn't happen to a WR. Punt returner, yeah. I don't know why they got him returning punts. But WR, he should be fine.
Wasn't Woods returning punts yesterday? Even before Dell whacked his head?

Robinson 46 yards 3.3 avg. That is really good run defense.
Algiers 40 at 2.4.
Maybe our middle is doing okay?
defense did a good job, but there were several long runs that really hurt. So there were times they did a really good job, & a handful of times they didn't to get the averages that low.

I think it was the same for Pearce, he had some good runs, but most of them weren't.

Today it seemed like neither play caller had confidence in their respective units and played it safe. Being down at CB seemed to affect the defensive play calling quite a bit. Not sure why Slo was so conservative. I would've thrown in some reverses and flea flickers with how much the ATL defense was over pursuing the run.
Yeah, when you're down to 1 starting quality cbs, it's only so much you can do. On the last possession, they chose a slow death. Atlanta wasn't going to run out of time

Yeah, when you're down to 1 starting quality cbs, it's only so much you can do. On the last possession, they chose a slow death. Atlanta wasn't going to run out of time

People keep forgetting that the CB group is down their starting CB 1 and his backup as well as the starting nickel. It was just as injury riddled as the OL has been.

That being said, it was easy to predict what would happen with the prevent D. Might as well go zero blitz first play of that drive and hope Ridder sees ghosts!

I know you did, Herv. You’re one of the most well-written posters here. Your posts carried a lot of voice in them. I feel what you write a lot and I guess I want you to write happier these days. We need more of them. I know the Texans make that hard for us though.

Lol.

Yeah this was a game that could have gone either way. Not only will it happen again but again and again. Someone (Lucky?) said that most games are close in the NFL and they’re right. Parity.

This is definitely positive for me. Normally if I'm making comments about the Texans moving in the right direction there's a strong sarcasm component to that statement. Not now. They very clearly are going forward for a change and it's nice. Remember when Kubiak showed up and immediately began getting better results from a lot of the same players Capers had lost or hadn't been able to get going? This is the same thing. Guys I just "knew" where JAG's or busts look to be living up to at least some of their promise. It's a good time to get back into Texans football. :texans:

This is definitely positive for me. Normally if I'm making comments about the Texans moving in the right direction there's a strong sarcasm component to that statement. Not now. They very clearly are going forward for a change and it's nice. Remember when Kubiak showed up and immediately began getting better results from a lot of the same players Capers had lost or hadn't been able to get going? This is the same thing. Guys I just "knew" where JAG's or busts look to be living up to at least some of their promise. It's a good time to get back into Texans football. :texans:
What is this sarcasm you speak of? :sarcasm:
Seriously though, I've actually started wearing my Texans gear again on Sundays after a couple of years of not bothering. The arrow is definitely pointing up for the team. It would be nice to see some games with most of the starters healthy and see how they perform. The injury bug has bitten early and often this year.

What is this sarcasm you speak of? :sarcasm:
Seriously though, I've actually started wearing my Texans gear again on Sundays after a couple of years of not bothering. The arrow is definitely pointing up for the team. It would be nice to see some games with most of the starters healthy and see how they perform. The injury bug has bitten early and often this year.

Same here. Just broken out a cap or shirt here and there. It's nice. Turns out I own a lot of that stuff (but all the players are gone on the jerseys but #99 and #80 are always a good choice (and #59 is definitely back in style). I have a #7 as well but it says KEENUM on the back so maybe I need to get a new nameplate for it. ;)

Same here. Just broken out a cap or shirt here and there. It's nice. Turns out I own a lot of that stuff (but all the players are gone on the jerseys but #99 and #80 are always a good choice (and #59 is definitely back in style). I have a #7 as well but it says KEENUM on the back so maybe I need to get a new nameplate for it. ;)
I have #23, 56, & 99. I won't buy new ones. Every time I bought a jersey, that player would end up injured.

I have #23, 56, & 99. I won't buy new ones. Every time I bought a jersey, that player would end up injured.
All mine were gifts, except my 71.

I've got a 12-Jones that I'll still rock. Hated here, but I liked watching him play. Unfortunately he was on teams that had to be darn near perfect to win. (I am not excusing the muffed punts).

But I bought the 71, because my last name is Howard.

Last edited:
I don’t buy sports jerseys partly b/c I bought so many when I was much younger…just kinda grew outta that sort of thing…& b/c they have a limited shelf life period as guys get traded…so It’s not that serious for me. But I’m about as diehard of a Texans fan as they come. Will defend my guys against anyone talking **** …or at least just take it on the chin for them all the way to the end no matter what’s going on with the team.

I only own a Texans hat with my name on the side and an autographed JJ Watt jersey that I had framed. Both given to me as a gift. I rock my hat wherever whenever…never had no “shame” about it either despite what’s been happening with this team over the last 3-4 years. That “unloading” of all the flak you took is just Part of the joy when your team does finally turn it around. I know that’s added to my enjoyment with the Astros during this unprecedented run.

I eventually settled into a predictable pattern. The great ones I buy in their best possible version (80 and 99) and the rest are all players I liked but that were on sale when they left the team. Hence the #7 Keenum and a #23 Foster that I forgot to mention above. AJ and Watt are going to resonate for a long time and that's what I'm looking for in a jersey. I also can't remember the last time I wore one. It's been years.

I just bought some new gear after 4 years of boycotting the team. Even had to tell the wife to not buy me Texans shite b/c I was on a boycott until they made changes...they finally did.

Back