Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 5: Texans vs Falcons

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Only bright spots beyond him are some of the WRs catching his passes.
Has anyone considered the possibility that it's been Stroud making WRs better all along?
But how much your QB gets paid is a direct correlation to your teams chances to win a SB.
Wrong.
Zach Wilson S2 score is 84%……and yet on sundays he has a awareness of a potato chip
Too bad there aren't 300 lb monsters attacking the QBs during the test.
. . and folks are arguing about a video game test that half the league doesn't even bother to utilize.
I hear ya. So about the S2 test... 😁

Look, we all know that it was Hannah and Mama McNair that drafted C.J. :kitten:. But just how far back did their plan go? Did they entice C.J. to tank the S2? Making sure he fell to #2? Who would put this past a couple of original River Oaks ganstas like Hannah and Janice? Now, I don't have insider info on this. But, I did ask my magic 8 ball and it said...

0e2f589a228b20c66bda10324bd75bb7--my-friend-friends.jpg

BTW, where's the love from the Hannah Truthers on the girls' work? C.J. is ballin' and they deserve their props.

The Houston Texans (2-2) seek to keep their hot streak going against the Atlanta Falcons (2-2) in a road game Sunday at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

Rookie quarterback CJ Stroud has been getting his footing in the NFL with the Texans capturing his first win in Week 3 against the Jacksonville Jaguars and earning another one last week against the Pittsburgh Steelers.
The Texans' head coach is also getting adjusted to his new role as DeMeco Ryans has guided his former team to .500.

NFL STATS CENTRAL: The latest NFL scores, schedules, odds, stats and more.

The Falcons, meanwhile, have been finding momentum behind their own first-year star, running back Bijan Robinson. They lost 23-7 to the same Jaguars team last week when quarterback Desmond Ridder threw two interceptions.
Ryans is 1-3 against the Dirty Birds as a player, getting his lone win with the Texans in 2011.

PROP TALK: These are the best prop bets for NFL games this week
Falcons vs. Texans odds, moneyline, over/under

The Falcons are favorites to defeat the Texans, according to the BetMGM NFL odds. Looking to wager? Check out the best mobile sports betting apps offering NFL betting promos in 2023.

Spread: Falcons (-1.5)
Moneyline: Falcons (-125); Texans (+105)
Over/under: 41.5

This Falcons team is a lot like the Steelers in that they have talent on both sides of the ball. But QB play is holding them back. I think the Falcons are trying to put a round peg into a square hole with Ridder. In the same number of games started last year, Ridder has thrown a little more than half as many passes from RPO this season. That's the wrong direction. Make Ridder more comfortable and don't ask him to win the game. Just manage it. Asking Ridder to throw into the middle of the field last week was asking for trouble. And the Falcons got what they deserved.

Talent wise, the Falcons are a concern. But from what I've seen from Ryans and his staff, the Texans have the coaching to overcome that.

This will be another tough win. Numbers fromm PFF, Atlanta has the #3 best Run Defense and the #13 best Pass Defense. Overall, their defense is ranked #6. But a high note, they don't have an intimidating Pass Rush, ranking #26.

Offensively, their Rush Offense, with their rookie rb Robinson, ranks #11. But as mentioned above, Ridder and their passing game is weak. Riddell has a qb rating of 77.9, making him #28. Their Pass Offense is worst in the NFL at #32.

The Texans should be able to scheme defensively to keep Robinson in check and shut the Falcons down offensively.

Offensively, the Texans run game is weak and won't improve this week. For the Texans to win, it'll have to be on Stroud's arm. The last two games our OL has given Stroud a clean pocket. With the Falcin's weak pass rush, this should continue and Stroud will have time to find his open receivers. Who'll be the guy this week, ?.

Texans win to go to 3 - 2.

This will be another tough win. Numbers fromm PFF, Atlanta has the #3 best Run Defense and the #13 best Pass Defense. Overall, their defense is ranked #6. But a high note, they don't have an intimidating Pass Rush, ranking #26.

Offensively, their Rush Offense, with their rookie rb Robinson, ranks #11. But as mentioned above, Ridder and their passing game is weak. Riddell has a qb rating of 77.9, making him #28. Their Pass Offense is worst in the NFL at #32.

The Texans should be able to scheme defensively to keep Robinson in check and shut the Falcons down offensively.

Offensively, the Texans run game is weak and won't improve this week. For the Texans to win, it'll have to be on Stroud's arm. The last two games our OL has given Stroud a clean pocket. With the Falcin's weak pass rush, this should continue and Stroud will have time to find his open receivers. Who'll be the guy this week, ?.

They have faced.

Bryce Young
Jordan Love
Jared Goff
Trevor Lawrence

You could argue CJ has been playing better than all of them thus far.

Hopefully he can keep it up.

Trap game? 🤔 :brando:

This is a game that Perryman will be a big factor in. Good to get him back The DT's need to perform well. Is Malik Collins playing this week?
Will need to see today's injury report for a clue. Collins has an issue with his abdomen and did not practice on Wednesday. It was mentioned on the radio yesterday, the Texans have a policy, if you don't practice Wednesday and Thursday, you don't play. Exceptions? Rest days don't count. Otherwise, I don't know.

Will need to see today's injury report for a clue. Collins has an issue with his abdomen and did not practice on Wednesday. It was mentioned on the radio yesterday, the Texans have a policy, if you don't practice Wednesday and Thursday, you don't play. Exceptions? Rest days don't count. Otherwise, I don't know.
Interesting to hear. Who made that policy? Is it DeMeco’s as head coach or GM or just upper Texans?

If the team plays the way it did last week, I can see a win. However, the pass D scares me a little as CJ has yet to throw an INT. This is a secondary that could pick you off. The good news is the pass rush isn't good so CJ should have more time and a cleaner pocket.

The run defense has to shine this week for the Texans to win.

Cant have another Colts game. Hopefully having Petrie and Ward will make a difference. I expect to see Petrie down in the box a lot and Ward in single high.

If the team plays the way it did last week, I can see a win. However, the pass D scares me a little as CJ has yet to throw an INT. This is a secondary that could pick you off. The good news is the pass rush isn't good so CJ should have more time and a cleaner pocket.
Their pass defense EPA/play is good for 23rd in the league and their defense as a whole is 23rd in DVOA. They do have 3 INT's, all came from Jessie Bates the star safety they got in free agency from the Bengals I believe. He got 1 against Detroit and 2 against Bryce Young week 1.

As a whole that defense doesn't particularly worry me but Jessie Bates is someone CJ is going to have to be cognizant of as he's already shown the ability to bait a rookie early on. Also their run defense is pretty stout so I imagine we'll be turning to the pass game to carry the offense again.

The Falcons are an example of building out the tram prior to getting your franchise QB. They’ve invested in big time offensive weapons while taking a 3rd round shot at a QB. One would think the Falcons take a shot at a quarterback in the next draft. If not, why let all of this highly drafted talent go to waste?

Anyway, an interesting comparison to the Texans going forward.

Are these 2023 numbers?

I personally don't consider those "rankings," even with PFFs style of grading, this early.

Reactions: JB
Are these 2023 numbers?

I personally don't consider those "rankings," even with PFFs style of grading, this early.
These are weekly numbers, updated mid-week.

These grades/ranking, combined with the NFL stats...what else is there for us fans? I certainly don't have the capability to watch every single game in detail and "grade" every single player.

I don’t doubt it is uncommon. I’m sure every team has that policy in place. I was just curious who mandates that one. Front office or coaching or ownership.

Hope I clarified?
That was/is clear. There is no way anyone on this forum knows firsthand. Someone who has access would have to ask this question.

what else is there for us fans?

I understand. The numbers are good to talk about to a point.

With Atlanta's defense, one of the best so far, it's not likely we will effecti ely have a run game. We're going to ha e to win with a passing game.

But this... I'm not so sure that's what those numbers are telling us. I haven't looked into it, but who have they played & all that. A lot of stuff goes into a run game & a run defense. It takes time to sort it out & then the numbers start meaning something... something we can build an argument around.

I'm not telling you not to do what you do. I'm just offering my :twocents: to further discussion.

If Pierce gets 100 does that mean that our run game is all that since we ran over one of the top run defenses? or does it mean the Falcons previous opponents didn't have their game in order? It could mean a lot of things & we really won't know until we get more data.

The Houston Texans (2-2) seek to keep their hot streak going against the Atlanta Falcons (2-2) in a road game Sunday at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

Rookie quarterback CJ Stroud has been getting his footing in the NFL with the Texans capturing his first win in Week 3 against the Jacksonville Jaguars and earning another one last week against the Pittsburgh Steelers.
The Texans' head coach is also getting adjusted to his new role as DeMeco Ryans has guided his former team to .500.

NFL STATS CENTRAL: The latest NFL scores, schedules, odds, stats and more.

The Falcons, meanwhile, have been finding momentum behind their own first-year star, running back Bijan Robinson. They lost 23-7 to the same Jaguars team last week when quarterback Desmond Ridder threw two interceptions.
Ryans is 1-3 against the Dirty Birds as a player, getting his lone win with the Texans in 2011.

PROP TALK: These are the best prop bets for NFL games this week
Falcons vs. Texans odds, moneyline, over/under

The Falcons are favorites to defeat the Texans, according to the BetMGM NFL odds. Looking to wager? Check out the best mobile sports betting apps offering NFL betting promos in 2023.

Spread: Falcons (-1.5)
Moneyline: Falcons (-125); Texans (+105)
Over/under: 41.5

Demeco Ryans is one and three against the Atlanta Falcons as a player? 🫣
Well I guess I need to put down my social security check on the Falcons for Sunday.

Bijan has averaged-
7.5 @ Jax
3.3 @ Det
6.5 GB
5.6 Car

The Texans have allowed 4.4 ypc.

I feel like if the Texans can limit Bijan to their average, and the offense continues to do its thing in keeping Stroud upright, the Texans will win this game. If the offense sputters like it did against the Ravens, and Bijan averages over 5 a carry, it's going to be a Falcons win. In short, contain Robinson and control the clock by allowing Stroud to manage the game. Slowick and company will need to continue disguising pass protection until everyone on the line gets healthy. I haven't seen anything that would tell me the Texans can win by running the ball and the Falcons run defense has been stingy. Their defense is allowing 4 ypc and has one of the lowest 1st down run percentages at 19%, only behind the Browns (13.5) and the Titans (18.6). In other words, if you're going to move the chains consistently on this defense, you're probably going to be doing most of the damage in the air. Oh, and the Falcons defense has allowed only one rushing TD this season. It's early, but that's pretty good through 4 games.

I haven't put this much effort into a post in 3 or 4 years. Whew!

Are the Texans a House Of Cards? Are they on their way up? I think on their way up..I notice a lot of posters put some kind of caveat on their post when they talk about CJ and the O Line. I think most are cautiously optimistic .

I understand. The numbers are good to talk about to a point.

But this... I'm not so sure that's what those numbers are telling us. I haven't looked into it, but who have they played & all that. A lot of stuff goes into a run game & a run defense. It takes time to sort it out & then the numbers start meaning something... something we can build an argument around.

I'm not telling you not to do what you do. I'm just offering my :twocents: to further discussion.

If Pierce gets 100 does that mean that our run game is all that since we ran over one of the top run defenses? or does it mean the Falcons previous opponents didn't have their game in order? It could mean a lot of things & we really won't know until we get more data.
Of course you're right. It's early and this skews the stats. But you can begin to see some trends.

Atlanta lost to the Lions, a top ten team. The Lions held Robinson to 33 yds on 10 carries. And the Lions' rb, Gibbs, ran for 80 yds on 17 carries.

Our OL blocking improved against the Steelers. So with the return of Howard and Tunsil, maybe they can continue to improve.

I wanted the Texans to take Bijan badly. I don't know that now (with hindsight) I'd give up either of the guys they took but as dumb as it sounds I'd have parted with future picks to go back to the well one more time if I could find someone willing to trade away their pick.

Can you imagine what this team would look like if we'd gotten Stroud, Anderson, AND Bijan Robinson?

Sooner or later the Texans will have a bad game. It's inevitable. The question is how will the players & coaches handle it. Going by how well the Texans have adjusted to all their injuries I personally think Ryans is a good enough coach to keep the team looking forward not backwards. It will be interesting to see how well adversity will be handled.

We all know how the fans will react. "Oh no the sky is falling"

Apparently it was in Houston, oh well I always hated the "this team has never lost to this team here" stats anyways :smiliepalm:
What happened in the past doesn't mean anything Sunday, of course, but they still have never won there.

Since when was it announced that Harris had a concussion? This team cannot catch a break.

if Tunsil is not a solid Go on Sunday, I’m talking myself into the idea it’s best to hold him out until after the bye week. That man is the slowest healer ever. He takes forever to return from injury.

and with Jones a no-go, my guess is Tytus plays LG in the short term, and possibly long term. To be clear, I’d put him at RT as I think that’s not only his best position, it’s a more important position generally compared to LG. But if Tunsil can’t go..and We know Jones isn’t a go…you can bet your sweet bippy Tytus will be at LG. Then the question is…for how long?

Back