Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Week 16 - Brown stains @ Texans.

Myles Garrett plays right DE? Correct? So he'll be up against Tunsil, all pro against all pro.

Garrett has 14 sacks, but 0 in the last 4 games. Has 11 hits, but only 3 in the last 4 games, all in week 14. Has a ton of hurries, 44, 18 in the last 4 games, but 11 of those were in one game.

Tunsil, over the last 4 games, has given up 1 sack, 0 hits and 3 hurries.

All in all, Garrett may get to Keenum some, but for the most part, Tunsil should mostly handle his pressure.

What else does the Browns have?
They move Garrett all over the DL. I don't think he will be matched up against Tunsil all game. Shoot, the guy is lining up over the center and making basketball moves.

As I previously reported earlier this afternoon.

Joe Flacco is limited in non-practice practice with calf injury
By Mike Florio
Published December 20, 2023 07:14 PM

The Browns have had more than a few quarterback injuries this season. They now have another.

Current starter Joe Flacco would have been limited in practice on Wednesday, with a calf injury. If the Browns had practiced. They didn’t.

Regardless, Flacco has a calf injury.

The 9-5 Browns visit the 8-6 Texans on Sunday. Houston likely won’t have starting quarterback C.J. Stroud due to a concussion; it’s unclear whether Case Keenum or Davis Mills will start.

Not practicing for the Browns on Wednesday, if the Browns had practiced, were guard Joel Bitonio (back, knee), receiver Amari Cooper (not injury related/resting player), defensive end Myles Garrett (not injury related/resting player, shoulder), linebacker Jordan Kunaszyk (calf), tight end David Njoku (not injury related/resting player, knee), defensive end Ogbonnia Okoronkwo (pectoral), guard Wyatt Teller (not injury related/resting player, ankle), and safety Juan Thornhill (calf).

Limited along with Flacco were/would have been tackle Geron Christian (shoulder), running back Jerome Ford (wrist), running back Kareem Hunt (groin), center Ethan Pocic (stinger), and linebacker Anthony Walker (knee).

Flacco is the fourth starting quarterback for the Browns in 2023. If he can’t go, rookie Dorian Thompson-Robinson presumably would get the start at Houston.

I've heard all the praise for Cleveland's week 15 win. Because of it, I watched the game twice.
1. Cleveland beat Chicago. the Bears were the Bears, they didn't do anything special.
2. Cleveland didn't win the game, the Bears lost it. Cleveland's offense was sluggish and barely competent.
3. Cleveland's defense played well. Texans need to be quick on offense, but they need to do that EVERY game.
4. If Texans defense plays as well as they did last week, it WILL BE a LONG day for Joe Flacco (10 sacks?)
5. Texans MUST be able to run the ball. Keenum is at best a game manager, especially at this point.
6. eliminate chunk plays and Cleveland will wilt on the drive. They are NOT consistent.
7. Flacco completed some great passes last week, make him work for those. I don't believe he can do it.

Play disciplined

And we MUST stop those drive killing penalties. We had too many in the Titan game. Another week's familiarity with Case under center may help with an improvement.

One of my biggest concerns is Larmy Tunsil getting destroyed. Myles Garrett lining up everywhere and destroying our O line. Yeah we have to limit penalties and turnovers if we want a chance. Another thing to note is the browns coach knowing Case Keenum tendencies spending 2 years with him when he played for the Vikings. This season has been a miracle because of Cj Stroud and Demeco being a players coach has helped our team. This game will be tough and as long as our boys play with fire and try unlike the jets game, I will be happy

Slowick should involve CK in drawing up this week’s offensive attack. CK has some knowledge regarding the Browns, which could help Slowick with the game plan.

For me, I wouldn’t mind seeing the Texans pull some of the Run-N-Shoot schemes for this game. I wouldn’t look at 5 receiver sets, but I would incorporate some 3 receiver sets with Schultz in at TE while setting them up to utilize quick slant rub routes to free up at least one of the receivers. CK was really solid at making his read and hitting those quick slant plays.

If they could make those slants work, Singletary could find some good yards in the draw play and/or swinging out on some wheel routes.

Slowick should involve CK in drawing up this week’s offensive attack. CK has some knowledge regarding the Browns, which could help Slowick with the game plan.

For me, I wouldn’t mind seeing the Texans pull some of the Run-N-Shoot schemes for this game. I wouldn’t look at 5 receiver sets, but I would incorporate some 3 receiver sets with Schultz in at TE while setting them up to utilize quick slant rub routes to free up at least one of the receivers. CK was really solid at making his read and hitting those quick slant plays.

If they could make those slants work, Singletary could find some good yards in the draw play and/or swinging out on some wheel routes.
Ryans should involve CK with the defensive game plan as well. He should know their tendencies.

Ryans should involve CK with the defensive game plan as well. He should know their tendencies.
I hope not. When CK was on the Browns, their DC ran a scheme similar to Lovie's. Jim Schwartz is in his first year as their new DC and runs a more aggressive defense than his predecessor. The defensive scheme and Schwartz's philosophy is totally different from what CK saw when he was with the Browns.

Last edited:
Looks like Anderson, Stroud and Nico are likely out for this one. Shultz should be ready. If we play within the playbook and everyone comes ready to go we have a chance. The Browns aren't as good stopping the run as it indicates on paper. They give up 102+ a game on the ground. If Singletary has a game like last week and the D plays up to the challenge like last week I feel we can win a close one. Only part that worries me is that secondary, they are pretty good

I'm saying 24- 21 Texans

Keenum played like crap last week & we're lucky the Titans played worse.

I think it was a mistake to play Keenum.

Maybe that was the "knock the rust off" game. Maybe this Sunday he'll start putting up numbers like Flacco has coming off the street.

As it stands we'll be playing a team with a much better QB & a much better defense.

One of my biggest concerns is Larmy Tunsil getting destroyed. Myles Garrett lining up everywhere and destroying our O line. Yeah we have to limit penalties and turnovers if we want a chance. Another thing to note is the browns coach knowing Case Keenum tendencies spending 2 years with him when he played for the Vikings. This season has been a miracle because of Cj Stroud and Demeco being a players coach has helped our team. This game will be tough and as long as our boys play with fire and try unlike the jets game, I will be happy
Tunsil may not be having his top game this season, but his play shouldn't be a concern. Fant/Heck should be. Opposite from Garrett is either ZaDarius Smith or Ogbo Okorankwo. Between them, they have 9 sacks, 15 hits and 58 hurries.

Scruggs is going to have his hands full with Shelby Harris, who I believe plays on the right side of the interior OL. He has 2 sacks, 2 hits and 10 hurries.

On the other side of the interior OL, Mason will be up against either Maurice Hurst or Dalvin Tomlinson. Between them they have 6 sacks, 12 hits and 33 hurries.

Our OL will undoubtedly be tested by this defense. If we can game plan this defense and come out with a win, we should have an excellant chance of closing out the season on top of the south.

Scruggs took a beating against Tennessee. I'll be paying especially close attention to his play.

Maybe that was the "knock the rust off" game. Maybe this Sunday he'll start putting up numbers like Flacco has coming off the street.

As it stands we'll be playing a team with a much better QB & a much better defense.
One thing in Case's favor - he will have a full week to practice as the known starter. Last week it was still a bit up in the air.
Either way, he has another week to work with the #1's.

I wouldn't say a much better QB.

And you thought it should have been Mills? I get being a contrarian, but making f***ing sense one time.
He makes sense, you just disagree with him. No need to curse, although I'm not surprised by this type of response coming from you when it comes to posters that disagree with you.

Instead if the guy on the practice squad?
Indeed. Sometimes you have no good options.
This is what I'm responding to. My post was a reaction to this.

Hopefully Slowick sees the reality, Case was no hero. & he can help Case play well Sunday.

So happy it’s Case instead of Mills. Mills has a better arm, but in every other category give me Case, including the things unseen such as calling the line protections and getting into the right run at the right time. Intangibles trump tangibles in this case. Get it - this case. I crack me up. 😂

Then it wouldn’t be Run-N-Shoot if they did 3 WR sets incorporating a TE. The Run-N-Shoot incorporates zero TEs. Now, if you’re talking about using Schultz as a WR then sure, why not.

So happy it’s Case instead of Mills. Mills has a better arm, but in every other category give me Case, including the things unseen such as calling the line protections and getting into the right run at the right time. Intangibles trump tangibles in this case. Get it - this case. I crack me up. 😂
I see what you did there, you sly Ole dog, you !

:facepalm:

From Mike Florio:
Houston likely won’t have starting quarterback C.J. Stroud due to a concussion; it’s unclear whether Case Keenum or Davis Mills will start.
How is this unclear this week? Last week, yes it was unclear.
Just having Case in the huddle to calm the offense. It makes a difference. That's the main thing Flacco has going for him, as well.

I'm not trying to blow smoke and suggest Keenum can lead the Texans to playoff wins. But whatever hope I had left in Davis Mills was washed away with that Hail Mary that wasn't at the end of regulation. And if the Texans are truly going to contend next season, a upgrade at backup QB is a necessity.

Tunsil may not be having his top game this season, but his play shouldn't be a concern. Fant/Heck should be. Opposite from Garrett is either ZaDarius Smith or Ogbo Okorankwo. Between them, they have 9 sacks, 15 hits and 58 hurries.

Scruggs is going to have his hands full with Shelby Harris, who I believe plays on the right side of the interior OL. He has 2 sacks, 2 hits and 10 hurries.

On the other side of the interior OL, Mason will be up against either Maurice Hurst or Dalvin Tomlinson. Between them they have 6 sacks, 12 hits and 33 hurries.

Our OL will undoubtedly be tested by this defense. If we can game plan this defense and come out with a win, we should have an excellant chance of closing out the season on top of the south.

Scruggs took a beating against Tennessee. I'll be paying especially close attention to his play.

Idk what to feel about Scruggs. I don’t pay much attention to our oline except when Tunsil and Howard gets dominated but I noticed on the hit that concussed Cj, it was Scruggs man who caused the hit. Hopefully he gets it together, other wise it’s going to be a long day for Case

Idk what to feel about Scruggs. I don’t pay much attention to our oline except when Tunsil and Howard gets dominated but I noticed on the hit that concussed Cj, it was Scruggs man who caused the hit. Hopefully he gets it together, other wise it’s going to be a long day for Case
I wouldn't judge him because Quinnen Williams beat him while he's playing out of position. BTW, Dieters man beat him badly and got there at the same time. But Scruggs also struggled in pass protection in the Titans game. Sucks when you're forced to play 3rd & 4th string OL in important games

I wouldn't judge him because Quinnen Williams beat him while he's playing out of position. BTW, Dieters man beat him badly and got there at the same time. But Scruggs also struggled in pass protection in the Titans game. Sucks when you're forced to play 3rd & 4th string OL in important games
I noticed we were running to the left really well during the Titans game, though, is their DL really weak on that side or is Tunsil/Scruggs doing a good job in that department?

Every time I see that we're playing Cleveland I somehow manage to come across the "Factory of Sadness" video from 2011. I didn't even realize it but that entire Texans vs Browns game is on Youtube and I watched a little of it. That Texans team was a machine compared to what managed to reach the field under Bill O'Brien.

Every time I see that we're playing Cleveland I somehow manage to come across the "Factory of Sadness" video from 2011. I didn't even realize it but that entire Texans vs Browns game is on Youtube and I watched a little of it. That Texans team was a machine compared to what managed to reach the field under Bill O'Brien.

I have that video saved to my YouTube favorites. Still share it occasionally

They move Garrett all over the DL. I don't think he will be matched up against Tunsil all game. Shoot, the guy is lining up over the center and making basketball moves.

Their DL vs our OL is a huge advantage for them. Let's hope Slowik and Case can keep them at bay with play-calling. We can counter with our advantage on whomever we have lined up over Geron Christian who we know ain't worth a flip.

We're gonna lose by a billion points. After which DeMeco is fired and the Texans move to Shreveport.

But don't worry, the Mexico City franchise will play a few games in Houston during the season.
Curse you! BTW I just came back from Shreveport yesterday.

This weeks injury report.

C.J. Stroud........QB...Concussion...OUT
Will Anderson......DE...Ankle........OUT
Blake Cashman......LB...Hamstring....OUT

Maliek Collins.....DT...Hip..........QUESTIONABLE
Nico Collins.......WR...Calf.........QUESTIONABLE
Denzel Perryman....LB...Achilles.....QUESTIONABLE

See, I told yall the Texans would move! :lol:

Doing a little reading, the name Texans has been used by multiple teams, including San Antonio and of course the Dallas Texans who became the KC Chiefs.

The original NFL Dallas Texans, who played 1 season (1952), has ties to the Baltimore, now Indianapolis, Colts. Though that’s officially not recognized by the NFL, it makes the ‘52 Texans the last NFL team to shut down operations, joining the likes of the 1928 NFL Champion Providence Steam Roller, the 1st back-to-back NFL champions the Canton Bulldogs, and the 1st ever NFL champion (1920) the Akron Pros, as defunct NFL franchises.

I understand why many experts are picking the Browns to win. But they aren't exactly a super scary team right now. They are injured just like us, and struggled against the Bears at home last week.

This is a winnable game at home for us if we avoid mistakes and use all of the weapons we have available effectively.

The original NFL Dallas Texans, who played 1 season (1952), has ties to the Baltimore, now Indianapolis, Colts. Though that’s officially not recognized by the NFL, it makes the ‘52 Texans the last NFL team to shut down operations, joining the likes of the 1928 NFL Champion Providence Steam Roller, the 1st back-to-back NFL champions the Canton Bulldogs, and the 1st ever NFL champion (1920) the Akron Pros, as defunct NFL franchises.
The Houston Steam Roller.....

.... my new jazz fuzzed rock band is born.

Their DL vs our OL is a huge advantage for them. Let's hope Slowik and Case can keep them at bay with play-calling. We can counter with our advantage on whomever we have lined up over Geron Christian who we know ain't worth a flip.
It will be that much more important for our QB who has weighted legs to be protected by an exemplary performance by his OL and blockers.

There is one thing to note. The Browns this season has had a pattern of playing much worse during away games.

Back