Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Week 16 - Brown stains @ Texans.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
There are so many combinations of how the remaining games play out it makes your head spin. But in playing with the ESPN Playoff Machine, the key game for the Texans is the week 18 matchup with the Colts in Indy. The Texans can afford a loss vs the Browns. But even with a win vs the Browns, it will be difficult to get to the playoffs with a loss to the Colts.

I say this because if Stroud has to sit out another week, this does not kill the Texans playoff chances. If there's a smidgeon of doubt about bringing CJ back this week, err on caution. We know that Keenum can beat the Titans here, and Case knows a little something about the Browns after spending 2 years with the Browns and 3 years with Stefanski.

You are correct. Even with Stroud I see this game being a low scoring dog fight. I want them to continue featuring Singletary. Having Stroud back would make me breathe easier but the team needs to establish the run just like they did yesterday. Without Collins and Dell, their most reliable deep threat is Noah Brown. The team needs to run the ball now, those chunk passing plays aren’t going to be as plentiful going forward and it’s time to adapt.

I expect with the Browns OL injuries and Flacco being a statue the Texans DL will feast once again. It’s December, time to dominate the trenches!

I expect with the Browns OL injuries and Flacco being a statue the Texans DL will feast once again. It’s December, time to dominate the trenches!
The Browns haven't had a dependable running game since Week 10. Flacco is the offense for the Brownies and the Texans defense should be able to contain him. Flacco threw for 374 yards against the Bears, but threw 3 picks, was sacked 4 times and hit another 8. That's not sustainable for the Browns to stay in games, despite their defense.

The Browns haven't had a dependable running game since Week 10. Flacco is the offense for the Brownies and the Texans defense should be able to contain him. Flacco threw for 374 yards against the Bears, but threw 3 picks, was sacked 4 times and hit another 8. That's not sustainable for the Browns to stay in games, despite their defense.

Yep. And the biggest difference between Flacco and the other backup QBs the Texans have faced… he can’t threaten with his legs. That is going to make all the difference.

That is going to make all the difference.
Another difference maker could be the Texans getting a similar performance as the they did against the Titans from their LBs in covering the RBs. The Texans had allowed over 40 yards/game in RB receiving yardage in 2023. Versus the Titans, 5 catches for 8 yards. The Browns have 2 RBs that are capable receivers in Ford and Hunt. I'm sure that Stefanski will want to get the ball out of Flacco's hand quicker this week. Something to keep an eye on.

Another difference maker could be the Texans getting a similar performance as the they did against the Titans from their LBs in covering the RBs. The Texans had allowed over 40 yards/game in RB receiving yardage in 2023. Versus the Titans, 5 catches for 8 yards. The Browns have 2 RBs that are capable receivers in Ford and Hunt. I'm sure that Stefanski will want to get the ball out of Flacco's hand quicker this week. Something to keep an eye on.

I would hope so. But I think the lack of production from the Titans RBs was moreso due to Levis than their coverage skills. Would love to be wrong though!

This is gonna be a dogfight.
Both teams have similar situations - Olines banged up and decent defenses.
If CJ returns from CP, he could be the difference but I ain't making any score predictions.
I'll open it up for your thoughts.

19-16 OT Texans win. Kaimi gets the game ball two weeks in a row. Sound familiar?

Both these teams are banged up but they play hard for the entire game. Both have made a habit of playing close games that come down to the wire and win more often than not.

It’s going to be a glorious dog fight!

This maybe the toughest overall defense Shroud has faced. I think he could carve it but without many of his weapons and with the Oline banged up he may have to adjust and just take what the defense gives him. Flacco is have a career resurgence but at the end of the day he's still Flacco so the defense can shake him. With Lawrence being most likely sidelined for the Jags this week a win over the Browns could very well decide who is taking over the division since both the Dolts and the Tits games are toss ups.

This maybe the toughest overall defense Shroud has faced. I think he could carve it but without many of his weapons and with the Oline banged up he may have to adjust and just take what the defense gives him. Flacco is have a career resurgence but at the end of the day he's still Flacco so the defense can shake him. With Lawrence being most likely sidelined for the Jags this week a win over the Browns could very well decide who is taking over the division since both the Dolts and the Tits games are toss ups.
Meh, the Jets D is top tier right now too.

With Lawrence being most likely sidelined for the Jags this week a win over the Browns could very well decide who is taking over the division since both the Dolts and the Tits games are toss ups.
The Texans win out while the Jags lose once, and the Texans are AFC South champs. That's not the only scenario, but it's the most likely.

Not sure I’m ok with CJ being thrown out there against this defense 2 weeks after his first NFL concussion, learn from other teams mistakes with their young qbs don’t kill this kid for a playoff run his rookie season

It looks like CJ's concussion was pretty severe. If I had to guess today, I think it's going to be another week with Case. There's a chance CJ is back, but it's not particularly high. I don't want him cleared with any shortcuts at all. He needs to be 100% cleared and ready to roll. If he's not - hold him out. Both for the team's long-term as well as the kid's long-term health.

Jonathan Greenard is going to get franchise tagged by the Texans and I fully support it.
Wasn't he like a second or third round pick ?
OK so good for young Mr Greenard who may very soon become the very rich young Mr Greenard.

Flacco's incentives

“Flacco will make $75,000 for each of the remaining four regular-season games he wins this season,” Schefter tweeted. “Should Cleveland advance to the postseason, Flacco would make $250,000 for a wild-card win, $500,000 for a divisional-playoff win, $1 million for an AFC Championship game win and $2 million for a Super Bowl win. The deal expires after this season when, once again, Flacco will be a free agent.”

It looks like CJ's concussion was pretty severe. If I had to guess today, I think it's going to be another week with Case. There's a chance CJ is back, but it's not particularly high. I don't want him cleared with any shortcuts at all. He needs to be 100% cleared and ready to roll. If he's not - hold him out. Both for the team's long-term as well as the kid's long-term health.
As much as I'm desperate for the Texans to make the playoffs this year, this is absolutely the right thinking. And I'm still nervous that he took some kind of concussive hit in the Broncos game which eluded the "independent neurologist". Are we really kidding ourselves that that performance against the Jets can be explained by a little bit of rain?

We have potentially a 15 year window in which Stroud can weave his magic and help build a Texans dynasty, I don't want to jeopardize that just so we can limp into this year's playoffs.

As much as I'm desperate for the Texans to make the playoffs this year, this is absolutely the right thinking. And I'm still nervous that he took some kind of concussive hit in the Broncos game which eluded the "independent neurologist". Are we really kidding ourselves that that performance against the Jets can be explained by a little bit of rain?

We have potentially a 15 year window in which Stroud can weave his magic and help build a Texans dynasty, I don't want to jeopardize that just so we can limp into this year's playoffs.
If what you're saying is true then we're no better off than had we drafted the 5'9" midget.

Exactly.
We are not going to win the SB this year so we don't need to be rushing CJ back into the fray just to pad the Texans stats.

Stroud should be out 4-6 weeks with that concussion if we really care about the kid's brain function for an NFL career here I think he should probably be done for the year, should have done a better job of protecting him or maybe even thought about pulling him out of that Jets game he looked lost like Earl Morrall in Super Bowl III look in his eyes while the rest of the team was shying away from blocks, dropping all passes, not getting open, and a full blown mess, yank the kid out of there.

The very first one I ran had the Texans out. I don't remember the particulars of all the other games but I had the Texans winning the next 2 and losing to the Colts.

Reactions: JB
He’d be fired if he did.
No he wouldn't. If there's any doubt, at all, about CJ's health, they should go with Keenum. The Texans don't need a statue (like Mills) as a QB. Leave that to Flacco and the Browns. The Texans need CJ 100% healthy down the stretch. Gotta beat the tAcks and Dolts. Hoping Mayfield and the Bucs , along with the Falcons, can handle business this coming Sunday and give the division lead to the Texans. Of course, the Texans need to handle their business.

No he wouldn't. If there's any doubt, at all, about CJ's health, they should go with Keenum. The Texans don't need a statue (like Mills) as a QB. Leave that to Flacco and the Browns. The Texans need CJ 100% healthy down the stretch. Gotta beat the tAcks and Dolts. Hoping Mayfield and the Bucs , along with the Falcons, can handle business this coming Sunday and give the division lead to the Texans. Of course, the Texans need to handle their business.

That's great but that wasn't the question posed. The question was IF CJ was back and available would Ryans still go with Case? The answer to that is not just no but hell no. Of course if there's still questions about his health he's a no go. But if he's cleared he's playing.

Back