Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Week 16 - Brown stains @ Texans.

That's great but that wasn't the question posed. The question was IF CJ was back and available would Ryans still go with Case? The answer to that is not just no but hell no. Of course if there's still questions about his health he's a no go. But if he's cleared he's playing.
It was stated the Ryans would be fired if he didn't go with CJ. No way will Ryans be fired any time soon, and with good reason. That was a bit of hyperbole, which is what I was calling out.
If there's even an inkling of doubt with CJ, let Keenum and Mills take the lumps from the Brown's defense. CJ is needed against the Dolts and tAcks. Winning the division is more important than beating the Browns.

after playing with the playoff machine for a while... we just need to win 2 of 3 to make the playoffs

When you were playing with the playoff machine did it come down to the last minute as it does with our games? Asking for a friend.

The Browns haven't had a dependable running game since Week 10. Flacco is the offense for the Brownies and the Texans defense should be able to contain him. Flacco threw for 374 yards against the Bears, but threw 3 picks, was sacked 4 times and hit another 8. That's not sustainable for the Browns to stay in games, despite their defense.
Sounds similar stats to one or two of Stroud’s games, eh? We are going to want Fant back on Sunday no matter what. He was missed.

It was stated the Ryans would be fired if he didn't go with CJ. No way will Ryans be fired any time soon, and with good reason. That was a bit of hyperbole, which is what I was calling out.
If there's even an inkling of doubt with CJ, let Keenum and Mills take the lumps from the Brown's defense. CJ is needed against the Dolts and tAcks. Winning the division is more important than beating the Browns.
Stated? Dude… that obviously was a tongue in cheek response. Definitely hyperbole. Nothing to call out.

Lmao.

I disagree that winning the division is more important than beating the Browns in the context that you mean it by. Beat the Browns, Colts, and Titans… we in. PERIOD. No help from anybody else. Jags and Colts can win out if they want. WE IN WITH THREE WINS. This means we’re in control. By trying to focus on the division… we are banking on the Jags to lose and that is out of our control. I’m all for keeping him safe and out if he’s hurt but If Stroud can play then they need to trot him out there. The season is -now-, not next week.

The real question is how many seconds will be left in the game after we make the game winning drive.

I think I saw a meme that said over the last 8 games it was 10 seconds or less.

Beating them would be ideal from multiple fronts (playoff chances and draft pick betterment) but I unfortunately don't really see it happening especially with the current injuries we're battling.

I'll still be rooting for it to happen though! This team can always make me believe.

That's great but that wasn't the question posed. The question was IF CJ was back and available would Ryans still go with Case? The answer to that is not just no but hell no. Of course if there's still questions about his health he's a no go. But if he's cleared he's playing.
Does anyone know if it’s only team doctors that can clear him or is their an NFL oversight in these cases?

Browns last 4 games have allowed 36 to the Rams, 29 to the Broncos, 28 to the jaguars, and 17 to the Bears.

Injuries and Myles Garrett has been playing with 1 arm. They are gettable on that side of the ball.
This is the same Texans team that got blown out by the Jets.

Does anyone know if it’s only team doctors that can clear him or is their an NFL oversight in these cases?
Excerpt from the NFL Concussion Protocol

After a player has progressed through the five-step process, and is cleared for full participation by his club physician, he must be seen and separately cleared by an Independent Neurological Consultant (INC), jointly approved by the NFL and NFLPA, who is not affiliated with any NFL club. Until cleared by this independent physician, a player may not return to contact practice or play in an NFL game.

So far the Texans have definitely been a home team..

Home record 5-2 .714
Away record 3-4 .429

Stroud Home - 158-246 2,273 yrds 64.2% TD:16 INT:4 Passer Rating 109.0
Stroud Away - 117-195 1,358 yrds 60.0% TD: 4 INT:1 Passer Rating 85.8
3-4 on the road, relatively speaking isn’t too bad. Especially considering 2 of those loses were to the Falcons and the Panthers. Two of the worst three offensive performances of the year.

Cleveland is coming off close home wins over Chicago last week and Jacksonville before that, 3 and 4 point wins respectively.

Cleveland is 7-1 at home, 2-4 on the road.

Joe Flacco is 2-1 in his comeback. Throwing for a very good 313 yards/game, he is 77/133, 939 yards, 57.9%, 7 TDs, 5 INTs, 81.6 rating.

Top rusher for the Browns is Jerome Ford, 718 yards, 4.1 avg, 3 TDs.

Top receiver is WR Amari Cooper, 61/985 yards, 16.1 avg., 3 TDs. Also productive is TE David Njoku 69/704 yards, 10.2 avg, 5 TDs.

LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah is the team's leading tackler with 84. Safety Grant Delpit is a close second with 80. DE Myles Garrett leads the team with 13 sacks.

------------------------------------------------------

It's looking like Case Keenum will get his 2nd start in a row. Like last week, Case is gonna need help from the run game to offset passing situations and to keep the sticks moving.

The Texans can really do themselves some good with a victory over the Browns by gaining the head-to-head advantage.

Amazing the Texans defense has allowed the 7th most total passing yards and is tied for #1 with the ravens allowing the least passing touchdowns with 14.

Texans have allowed a lot of rushing tds #6 with 16. Yet they’ve been pretty good at not allowing rushing yards, #6 rushing defense.

Browns are 5th in interceptions and 6th in force fumbles. Joe Flacco is a Super Bowl mvp Qb. He’s not the same but it still doesn’t take away that he knows how to win games.

Waiting to see the injury report probably Cj and of course Jimmy ward as usual but keys to this game will be Texans not making mistakes (turnovers), our elite corners (hoping Steven Nelson suits up) making plays and establishing the run game. If I was Bobby Slowik, my plan would be to scheme up short passes on 1st or 2nd down and allow Singletary to get the short yardage on 2nd or 3rd down. I wouldn’t do it all game of course, sometimes you have to pass to switch it up but we should know by now we’re not going to win every close game consecutively and it’s important to jump out to a lead against a solid playoff team like the browns.

If he doesn’t, his season should be over. What’s the point in coming back for a likely meaningless game? (Unless Case goes 3-0 and we’re in the playoffs) Let him heal up so he’s ready to go for OTAs/TC.
If Chase goes 1-1 I would hope Stroud can make it back for the Colts game, because that game will essentially be a playoff game.

Amazing the Texans defense has allowed the 7th most total passing yards and is tied for #1 with the ravens allowing the least passing touchdowns with 14.

Texans have allowed a lot of rushing tds #6 with 16. Yet they’ve been pretty good at not allowing rushing yards, #6 rushing defense.

Browns are 5th in interceptions and 6th in force fumbles. Joe Flacco is a Super Bowl mvp Qb. He’s not the same but it still doesn’t take away that he knows how to win games.

Waiting to see the injury report probably Cj and of course Jimmy ward as usual but keys to this game will be Texans not making mistakes (turnovers), our elite corners (hoping Steven Nelson suits up) making plays and establishing the run game. If I was Bobby Slowik, my plan would be to scheme up short passes on 1st or 2nd down and allow Singletary to get the short yardage on 2nd or 3rd down. I wouldn’t do it all game of course, sometimes you have to pass to switch it up but we should know by now we’re not going to win every close game consecutively and it’s important to jump out to a lead against a solid playoff team like the browns.
And we MUST stop those drive killing penalties. We had too many in the Titan game. Another week's familiarity with Case under center may help with an improvement.

Texans defense will reach elite level when Christian Harris and the LB's play consistently.

Then you have to figure out how to get Pitre to wake the F up or replace him with Amos.

D Line is pretty good for the most part.
They could really use a star level DL and a LB very badly. I can see these nerds being filled in FA.

I've heard all the praise for Cleveland's week 15 win. Because of it, I watched the game twice.
1. Cleveland beat Chicago. the Bears were the Bears, they didn't do anything special.
2. Cleveland didn't win the game, the Bears lost it. Cleveland's offense was sluggish and barely competent.
3. Cleveland's defense played well. Texans need to be quick on offense, but they need to do that EVERY game.
4. If Texans defense plays as well as they did last week, it WILL BE a LONG day for Joe Flacco (10 sacks?)
5. Texans MUST be able to run the ball. Keenum is at best a game manager, especially at this point.
6. eliminate chunk plays and Cleveland will wilt on the drive. They are NOT consistent.
7. Flacco completed some great passes last week, make him work for those. I don't believe he can do it.

Myles Garrett plays right DE? Correct? So he'll be up against Tunsil, all pro against all pro.

Garrett has 14 sacks, but 0 in the last 4 games. Has 11 hits, but only 3 in the last 4 games, all in week 14. Has a ton of hurries, 44, 18 in the last 4 games, but 11 of those were in one game.

Tunsil, over the last 4 games, has given up 1 sack, 0 hits and 3 hurries.

All in all, Garrett may get to Keenum some, but for the most part, Tunsil should mostly handle his pressure.

What else does the Browns have?

Myles Garrett plays right DE? Correct? So he'll be up against Tunsil, all pro against all pro.

Garrett has 14 sacks, but 0 in the last 4 games. Has 11 hits, but only 3 in the last 4 games, all in week 14. Has a ton of hurries, 44, 18 in the last 4 games, but 11 of those were in one game.

Tunsil, over the last 4 games, has given up 1 sack, 0 hits and 3 hurries.

All in all, Garrett may get to Keenum some, but for the most part, Tunsil should mostly handle his pressure.

What else does the Browns have?
According to CND, Garrett is basically playing with one arm. I think it’s his shoulder that’s bothering him.

I've heard all the praise for Cleveland's week 15 win. Because of it, I watched the game twice.
1. Cleveland beat Chicago. the Bears were the Bears, they didn't do anything special.
2. Cleveland didn't win the game, the Bears lost it. Cleveland's offense was sluggish and barely competent.
3. Cleveland's defense played well. Texans need to be quick on offense, but they need to do that EVERY game.
4. If Texans defense plays as well as they did last week, it WILL BE a LONG day for Joe Flacco (10 sacks?)
5. Texans MUST be able to run the ball. Keenum is at best a game manager, especially at this point.
6. eliminate chunk plays and Cleveland will wilt on the drive. They are NOT consistent.
7. Flacco completed some great passes last week, make him work for those. I don't believe he can do it.
Replace Flacco’s name and the team name with Keenum and Texans… and this post basically remains mostly true. Just saying.

8. Don't throw a Pick-6. Keenum has one in every game he has started this season.

Two average to above average teams with beat up rosters playing each other with backup QBs who are about a thousand years old.

Will give praise to both of these dinosaurs that they are consummate professionals in being prepared after something like less than 10 starts total between the two of them over the last three years. Considering some of the trash that other teams have turned to when they had QB troubles, and as much 💩 as I like to give Keenum fans for their over the top fawning, we are lucky to have him.

Back