Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 15 - Punched by the Tacks?

It's all good, root for your favorite football team whoever that is, wherever you live and have some fun taking a break from our work-a-day lives. I think it's going to be a real good game on Sunday, I'll be hyped up watching every play. Can't wait. Ran into a Jets fan yesterday, he was hyped up for a game they were likely to lose, but he's always rooted Jets. It's all good.

Honestly , I think its easier to find a qualified coach than it is to find a capable QB.
I'd prefer to move on from OB and give Watson a look with another staff , maybe they can get some consistency out of him and put him in an offense that suits him better ….

All we really need is a coach who will design an offense around him. OB not doing that kills me and wastes his talents

You're right, even Earl Campbell who for years refused to have anything to do with that organization is now on board. He's out there this weekend. He even did some fan dinner thing with Eddie George in Nashville last night. Sadly, he tried supporting Texans because of his love of the Houston fans, however the Texans apparently didn't want to have anything to do with him or any others of the old Oiler alum for that matter.

I used to get all bent out of shape on this subject but I am long over it now. Like Earl, I've decided to move on too. I now live in another NFL city of a team that I also supported as a kid. Life is too short to stay bitter about all of this stuff. The Oilers are long dead to me now.

Sad about Earl, but I can't blame him for going where the franchise shows him some love. He's still on their record books.

I've grown apathetic as a Texans fan, but honestly, I've very much grown as an NFL fan. I love pro football and just enjoy watching good teams and good games. I no longer 'hate' other teams, but just enjoy the ride and drama of the entire NFL season. I don't get emotional about this stuff. So I found that being a pro football fan is much more entertaining than being just a Texans fan. (The only emotion I feel is sadness in February! lol)

Last year it was Mahomes, and this year it has been a fun ride watching Lamar Action Jackson. John Harbaugh made an interesting point. He said in the early '80's, Bill Walsh revolutionized pro football and that has been the model for 25 years. Now, though, with the rule changes and taking the teeth out of defenses, lack of o-line development in college (as it pertains to pro sets), and a rise of athletic dual-threat QBs (that can run as well as pass), the game is changing into what we are seeing become more prevalent today.

Anyway, back to this game, the Texans could go either way. They are so inconsistent from week to week that it's tough to make a prediction, much less have expectations.

I heard these guys are busting out the Oilers colors on us for our friendly, little football match on Sunday. I see what they did. Out of alllllllll the other games to use them they pick the Houston game. Lol. Not petty. It’s ok. Breathe Rico, breathe.

Sad about Earl, but I can't blame him for going where the franchise shows him some love. He's still on their record books.

I've grown apathetic as a Texans fan, but honestly, I've very much grown as an NFL fan. I love pro football and just enjoy watching good teams and good games. I no longer 'hate' other teams, but just enjoy the ride and drama of the entire NFL season. I don't get emotional about this stuff. So I found that being a pro football fan is much more entertaining than being just a Texans fan. (The only emotion I feel is sadness in February! lol)

Last year it was Mahomes, and this year it has been a fun ride watching Lamar Action Jackson. John Harbaugh made an interesting point. He said in the early '80's, Bill Walsh revolutionized pro football and that has been the model for 25 years. Now, though, with the rule changes and taking the teeth out of defenses, lack of o-line development in college (as it pertains to pro sets), and a rise of athletic dual-threat QBs (that can run as well as pass), the game is changing into what we are seeing become more prevalent today.

Anyway, back to this game, the Texans could go either way. They are so inconsistent from week to week that it's tough to make a prediction, much less have expectations.

As a longtime HST sports fan I agree on just about everything you posted. Just don’t have it in me to get upset anymore. I just enjoy the ride, all teams. Texans are my team but I’m not throwing the remote anymore. Now, it’s hard to see all the Oiler stuff, the derricks, colors, etc wrapped all over the stadium up in Nashville but otherwise I also have moved on.

TEN 24
HST 20

You're right, even Earl Campbell who for years refused to have anything to do with that organization is now on board. He's out there this weekend. He even did some fan dinner thing with Eddie George in Nashville last night. Sadly, he tried supporting Texans because of his love of the Houston fans, however the Texans apparently didn't want to have anything to do with him or any others of the old Oiler alum for that matter.

I used to get all bent out of shape on this subject but I am long over it now. Like Earl, I've decided to move on too. I now live in another NFL city of a team that I also supported as a kid. Life is too short to stay bitter about all of this stuff. The Oilers are long dead to me now.

thats a damn disgrace. Seems like this franchise would rather hitch its wagon to a northeastern ivy leaguer than support the good old boys who made Houston area football what it is. SMH.
We sure the McNairs aren’t from Waco or Killeen or something?

Sad about Earl, but I can't blame him for going where the franchise shows him some love.
thats a damn disgrace.
Yep and yep.

Earl used to not want to have anything to do with the Titans, and I think rightfully so. He never played there, their fans never watched his games, what's the point?

It's freaking ridiculous that the Texans never took in the old Oilers, especially those like Earl who publicly wanted no involvement with Tennessee. I think they dropped the ball on that.

Earl Campbell put Houston on the football map. Dude should have a statue or 2 around here somewhere. Put it on top of the Dome since that thing is never going away.

Here's some meaningless stats & history about the upcoming game.

First the good.

O'Brien's record against the Titans.
7-3 .700

Under O'Brien the Texans have outscored the Titans by 126 points. That's the most against any team in the O'Brien era.

**edited** Forgot to put Watson's stats after I went to all the trouble to get them.

Watson's Record Against the Titans
2-1 .667

Stats for all 3 Games.
66/90 73%, 8 Tds, 2 Ints, 2 Rushing Tds, 120 QBR

Now the not so good.

The last time the Texans won a game in Nashville was 12/27/2015.

As far as I can tell the last time the Texans played Tannehill (also in 2015) he may have had his best game ever. We were blown out of the water by the Dolphins.

Ryan Tannehill 18/19 94.7%, 282 Yrds, 4 Tds, 0 Ints, 158.3 QBR

That week he was named AFC offensive player of the week.

Last edited:
What's up Texans!
Looking forward to closing out the season with some good 'ol Texan fun.
This SHOULD be a good game. Although, it seems that some of you guys have the same "which team shows" syndrome that a lot of us Titans fans suffer from.
I would say Tanne led Titans are a new breed, but my PTSD just won't allow it.

Should be a good game and I'd wish ya'll luck, but that would be a lie.

What's up Texans!
This SHOULD be a good game. Although, it seems that some of you guys have the same "which team shows" syndrome that a lot of us Titans fans suffer from.

Texans are a real Jekyl and Hyde show.
If they play well they can beat teams they are not supposed to and the next week suffer at the hands of lowly ranked teams.
No consistency for some reason no one has been able to figure out.

Texans are a real Jekyl and Hyde show.
If they play well they can beat teams they are not supposed to and the next week suffer at the hands of lowly ranked teams.
No consistency for some reason no one has been able to figure out.

Sounds like another "T"eam I know lol

I’ve grown apathetic towards the NFL. Every year it seems the officiating has become worse than the year before it. This year it seems they’re actually rubbing our noses in it because of the dumb PI challenge rule that was put in place because of the abysmal officiating in the Saints/Rams playoff game. How dare the fans question their ability to do their jobs!

Sports used to be such a wonderful part of my life. I’ve completely cut the NBA out. I’m only remotely interested in baseball. Now the only NFL games I watch are the Texans and I’ve missed part or all of several games this season. I even cut the Texans/Pats game off at halftime. I had it on DVR but deleted it (on purpose) instead of watching it.

Anyway, between the same old, same old Texans and what I consider the growing arrogance (top to bottom) of the NFL, I don’t see myself caring at all within the next few years. Watching the games just don’t entertain me the same way as they once did.

I heard these guys are busting out the Oilers colors on us for our friendly, little football match on Sunday. I see what they did. Out of alllllllll the other games to use them they pick the Houston game. Lol. Not petty. It’s ok. Breathe Rico, breathe.

The color scheme is a little "color rush". We won't be using actual throwback uniforms since the NFL rule right now is that you can have only one base helmet color and right now that's dark blue and not the white Titans helmets we had until recently.

The color scheme is a little "color rush". We won't be using actual throwback uniforms since the NFL rule right now is that you can have only one base helmet color and right now that's dark blue and not the white Titans helmets we had until recently.

good for you guys.

Meh. I was an Oilers fan, but now, let them wear the old Oilers jersey head to toe with all the malice intended in the world for all I care....

If it were the 90's it would be understandable to cling to the Oilers in Houston. To cling to them now because of who the Titans where then... is too much like a Cowboys fan clinging to relevance from the same decade.

Im not a Cowboys fan, I leave the past where it belongs.

Don’t worry.
The Buccs will play spoiler. :hides:

The Bucs have won their last 3 and are 4-1 in the last 5. If Winston is not spotting teams 14 to 21 points in the 1st QTR (like he did with the Titans) then the Bucs do pretty well. He spotted the Colts 10 points in the 1st QTR last week and then threw another pick 6 in the 3rd QTR, however overcame those 17 points by throwing for 4 TDs and almost 460 yards.

The Bucs can beat the Texans if Winston is more Dr Jekyll than Mr Hyde in that game.

I almost hope the Buc's do win and the Titans sweep the Texans …. 0-3 finishing 8-8 , missing the playoffs , watching a Steelers team with a third string QB making the playoffs ahead of the Texans may just get McNair's attention …. and OB with be out.

OB sticking around means another wasted season …. just another year of mediocrity on both sides of the ball …. and with the weapons the Texans have on offense , that's just not acceptable. This should be one of the top offenses in the league based upon talent.

What's up Texans!

I wish you guys luck …. and that's not a lie. I really want to see your team beat mine in both games. No kidding.

I want OB gone that bad.

The entire team not showing up for the Denver game was the absolute last straw for me.

I wish you guys luck …. and that's not a lie. I really want to see your team beat mine in both games. No kidding.

I want OB gone that bad.

The entire team not showing up for the Denver game was the absolute last straw for me.

Yeesh. That's borderline sacralidge man.

Sadly, I've felt the same way before. I rooted for the Texans to lose in the Bush bowl.

Sadly, I've felt the same way before. I rooted for the Texans to lose in the Bush bowl.

I know it is …. I'm just frustrated with a frustrating team and the most frustrating part is the coach.

Denver was the last straw for me. There are no excuses for losing to that team in that fashion - At Home. This team has too much talent , particularly on offense to be so mediocre.

They have yet to score a single point on their opening drive of any game this season.

I've had it with the same old post game press conference for the last 6 years , I need to coach better. Well no kidding ? We already know that …. We've known it for 6 damn years. I wish McNair was listening ...

They have yet to score a single point on their opening drive of any game this season.
They put a stat up in the Denver game that the Texans haven't scored a TD or even scored on the opening drive in like 30+ something drives. They are the worst in the NFL over that span.

Maybe someone else heard it or knows it and confirm or deny. Pretty sure it's something abysmal like that.

My interest has waned quite a bit this year. Will set the DVD player as I have made plans with my granddaughter on Sunday with a trip to Old Town Spring for her birthday. If they win, I will probably watch it, if they lose I can just delete it. Against the Broncos, I turned off the game in the second quarter. I have been watching football for 60 years and the Broncos game was about the worst ass-kicking of "my team" I have seen.

I am with the group that is leaning toward wishing that we actually lose the next 3 games and miss the playoffs as it may be our only chance at getting a different head coach.

My interest has waned quite a bit this year. Will set the DVD player as I have made plans with my granddaughter on Sunday with a trip to Old Town Spring for her birthday. If they win, I will probably watch it, if they lose I can just delete it. Against the Broncos, I turned off the game in the second quarter. I have been watching football for 60 years and the Broncos game was about the worst ass-kicking of "my team" I have seen.

I am with the group that is leaning toward wishing that we actually lose the next 3 games and miss the playoffs as it may be our only chance at getting a different head coach.

Reminded me of the 61-7 shellacking by Wyche over Glanville. The day Wyche called him a Joke and a phony

I want OB gone that bad.

I've felt the same more than once with certain coaches/players for the Titans (hell you could replace OB with Mary and it's what I was saying a few weeks ago).

I'll give you my mantra on more than one occasion:
"AT LEAST WE'RE NOT THE JAGS, AT LEAST WE'RE NOT THE JAGS"

It's help me get through more that a couple games/seasons!

Reactions: ROO
This one is going to be ugly and incite the Fire Bob soap. We're not doing anything to rush the passer, worst in the league since Watt went down. We have an abysmal defense and an inconsistent offense. Tannehill has been money with PA, our achilles heel. Titans have put up something like 150 points in the last 4 games. I don't see us slowing that down.

Titans 38
Texans 23

Reminded me of the 61-7 shellacking by Wyche over Glanville. The day Wyche called him a Joke and a phony

I remember Wyche being upset because they missed an extra point. It should have been 62-7 :).

Reactions: JB
I wanted to throw up that day when I saw that score. Wyche really really wanted to run the score up as much as he possibly could. As Palpatine famously said: "you could feel his anger".

Reactions: JB
Tweet from @riversmccown: Mike Vrabel on Houston's run game: "Bill O'Brien wants to commit to the run ... they have a scheme that they wanna run, they don't try to hide what it is, they run it over and over and over. They're not afraid to repeat plays."

Out of the mouths of babes... https://t.co/jwa8TmHjJ8

Sacrilege (which you spelled wrong) is always an acceptable means of getting your way. Texans aren't going anywhere this season anyway, and as long as OB is the HC we're never going to improve beyond what we are right now.

"They're not afraid to repeat plays."
Kubiak ran 4 running plays. Inside and outside zone, strong and weakside. How many is Kyle Shanahan running? However many different rushing plays, you still have to stop them. The Texans are 7th in the league in rushing, 3rd in yards per attempt.

Sacrilege (which you spelled wrong) is always an acceptable means of getting your way. Texans aren't going anywhere this season anyway, and as long as OB is the HC we're never going to improve beyond what we are right now.

Yeah , to me , its a means to an end ….

We know that what we've seen for the last 6 years is what we get with OB. There is no upside to this group with OB at the helm. The plateau is 10-6 , maybe a win in the wildcard round and being sent packing in the divisional round.

No , we aren't the Jags …. or the Browns , yes it could be worse but with that worse comes a glimmer of hope of improvement with top draft choices and franchises moving on from coaches who cant get the job done.

We get to look forward to sending Miami draft picks for a false start machine and another year of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

I'd rather take my lumps with a 2-14 season and the hope that a new regime might finally bring us a Super Bowl …. rather than being stuck in the middle of nowhere.

I wanted to throw up that day when I saw that score. Wyche really really wanted to run the score up as much as he possibly could. As Palpatine famously said: "you could feel his anger".
I’ve given over the terrible memories of the Oilers past to their rightful owners...the professional football team in Tennessee. I’m past ALL of it.

I spelled sacrilege wrong and knew I spelled it wrong. I took the spell checks offering which was also apparently wrong.

Additionally, I also said the cowboys were in the NFC south last night which is not correct either.

Way to much to drink last night.

As far as I can tell the last time the Texans played Tannehill (also in 2015) he may have had his best game ever. We were blown out of the water by the Dolphins.

Ryan Tannehill 18/19 94.7%, 282 Yrds, 4 Tds, 0 Ints, 158.3 QBR

That week he was named AFC offensive player of the week.
So if Tannehill only has a QBR of 158.2 tomorrow, then he is inconsistent and not progressing.

Ok fellas. I still won't wish you
Consistent with my Injury Report commentaries, both Fuller and Henry would not be playing today, would this game not be as important as it is. I feel that this game may come down to which player is hamstrung first.

Think you're right.

Henry has been more vocal this week than I've ever heard him. His insistence could have a major role in his playing. Not sure but he seems pissed for some reason. I'm talking beyond the biggest game/rival thing. A little odd since we've actually got some national attention/support. Something has him angry and not sure I'd want to take on 50-90% ANGRY Henry especially in cold weather.

Fuller has always had our number and seems to have Jackson private number too (that's why I'm not so pissed Jackson is out). I get sick just thinking about facing your Fuller/Hopkins combo.

Ok fellas. I still won't wish you

Think you're right.

Henry has been more vocal this week than I've ever heard him. His insistence could have a major role in his playing. Not sure but he seems pissed for some reason. I'm talking beyond the biggest game/rival thing. A little odd since we've actually got some national attention/support. Something has him angry and not sure I'd want to take on 50-90% ANGRY Henry especially in cold weather.

Fuller has always had our number and seems to have Jackson private number too (that's why I'm not so pissed Jackson is out). I get sick just thinking about facing your Fuller/Hopkins combo.

Cold weather may further affect and potentially significantly increase risk for re-injury for those already afflicted with hamstring issues. In Henry's case, any anger may lead him ignore caution and to push himself beyond the point someone recovering from a hamstring should.

Back