Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Watson’s a top 5 qb. Do you agree?

DanielTx

Veteran
Russell Wilson, among others, would disagree. Watson is damned good, though.
I think I speak for everyone when I say Russ isn’t as bright as Deshaun. I don’t think Deshaun would throw on the 1 yard line in the superbowl with a BEAST RB just to be the mvp. Russ is crazy talented and smart but after that play I never looked at him the same.

DanielTx

Veteran
:spit: This man hasn't even won a playoff game yet, and now he's the smartest QB in football?

Tom Brady, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rogers must feel like mental midgets then since a 3rd year QB is already a smarter field general than they are. :pissed:
i’d be a fool to say he’s smarter than those guys as of now. I meant in year 3 compared to those players, I think he’s way ahead of the curb. Not to mention what he’s done with a lackluster ob. it’s speaks volumes to his football iq. So yeah year 3 Deshaun is smarter than all those guys

Last edited:

watt99x99

Waterboy
:spit: This man hasn't even won a playoff game yet, and now he's the smartest QB in football?

Tom Brady, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rogers must feel like mental midgets then since a 3rd year QB is already a smarter field general than they are. :pissed:
lmao what have you been watching? 2018 highlights? lmao

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I think I speak for everyone when I say Russ isn’t as bright as Deshaun. I don’t think Deshaun would throw on the 1 yard line in the superbowl with a BEAST RB just to be the mvp. Russ is crazy talented and smart but after that play I never looked at him the same.
Russell Wilson didn't call that play. That was on Pete Carroll getting too cute.

DanielTx

Veteran
Russell Wilson didn't call that play. That was on Pete Carroll getting too cute.
True but Peyton and Brady would have audibled into a run. That was on a 1st down. You could have passed it after that. A smart qb knows when to adjust and Russ is definitely smart. No denying that... I still don’t trust him

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I think I speak for everyone when I say Russ isn’t as bright as Deshaun. I don’t think Deshaun would throw on the 1 yard line in the superbowl just to be the mvp. Russ is crazy talented and smart but after that play. I questioned his I.q.
Your post isn't even true. His coach called that play. He did what he was told. That is a totally invalid example. His coach called that play based on the formation on the field and the defensive set the Patriots had. The Pats made a great play on the ball. Two years later when the Pats were in almost the exact same situation they called a similar play.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
True but Peyton and Brady would have audibled into a run. That was on a 1st down. You could have passed it after that. A smart qb knows when to adjust and Russ is definitely smart. No denying that... I still don’t trust him
The Pats were in goal line/short yardage defense. You don't audible to the run facing that. If it had worked, Carroll would've looked like a genius. Every single person watching that game expected Beast Mode up the middle.

Scooter

Funky
The Pats were in goal line/short yardage defense. You don't audible to the run facing that. If it had worked, Carroll would've looked like a genius. Every single person watching that game expected Beast Mode up the middle.
You had it right the first time with Carroll getting too cute. Maybe he couldn't audible, but he could immediately chuck it through the goalposts. 2 downs and a timeout left from the goalline with the heaviest back currently playing. Be a hero and possibly cap off the Superbowl ... nope, I'm handing it to Earl (or in this case Lynch).

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Your post isn't even true. His coach called that play. He did what he was told. That is a totally invalid example. His coach called that play based on the formation on the field and the defensive set the Patriots had. The Pats made a great play on the ball. Two years later when the Pats were in almost the exact same situation they called a similar play.
Yep. And if you watch the NFL Films documentary about it, Belichick had already figured out how to defend that play when they eventually saw it. Butler said they actually practiced that specific defense before the SB.

You don't get cute with a mad genius HC on the other side of the field. Carroll was also reportedly butthurt about Lynch, so he let his emotions influence his decisions. Belichick doesn't blink, much less let emotions make decisions.

Scooter

Funky
You don't get cute with a mad genius HC on the other side of the field. Carroll was also reportedly butthurt about Lynch, so he let his emotions influence his decisions. Belichick doesn't blink, much less let emotions make decisions.
Yup, know always that Belichick is smarter than you. Unfortunately Wilson didn't have the experience, patience, fortitude or wherewithal (or some combination) to chuck it and tell coach "I want to win, give it to 24".

It also doesn't invoke confidence in someone named "Teapot".

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Yep. And if you watch the NFL Films documentary about it, Belichick had already figured out how to defend that play when they eventually saw it. Butler said they actually practiced that specific defense before the SB.

Carroll had called a running play to Lynch from about the 4 the play right before that that to set things up from the goaline.

If he was that bent on Lynch not being the hero I doubt he'd have done so.

I don't think it was a bad play call, but if anyone else does that's fine. I just certainly don't agree that it had to do with denying Marshawn any glory.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
You had it right the first time with Carroll getting too cute. Maybe he couldn't audible, but he could immediately chuck it through the goalposts. 2 downs and a timeout left from the goalline with the heaviest back currently playing. Be a hero and possibly cap off the Superbowl ... nope, I'm handing it to Earl (or in this case Lynch).
I agree with you. I was just saying no QB in his right mind is going to audible to a run seeing that front, especially if his coach called a pass play.

Scooter

Funky
I agree with you. I was just saying no QB in his right mind is going to audible to a run seeing that front, especially if his coach called a pass play.
Of course, it was a 7 man front if I remember correctly. I'm saying he had the option to audible it into the upper deck. Which I gather is we're saying the same thing.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Carroll had called a running play to Lynch from about the 4 the play right before that that to set things up from the goaline.

If he was that bent on Lynch not being the hero I doubt he'd have done so.

I don't think it was a bad play call, but if anyone else does that's fine. I just certainly don't agree that it had to do with denying Marshawn any glory.
Carroll probably takes to much heat for the call. It was actually OC Darrell Bevell who picked the play. Carroll just didn't override it. And honestly, it was not a bad call, rather just a bad outcome. Ultimately, the defense made a great play.

The narrative about Carroll vs. Lynch was perpetuated by Lynch himself, after the game (to me it sounds like sour grapes, as I tend to agree with you that Carroll would have called any player to win that game).

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Of course, it was a 7 man front if I remember correctly. I'm saying he had the option to audible it into the upper deck. Which I gather is we're saying the same thing.
It was essentially a 9 man front with a two-receiver, two-db game wide to the right.

And the dbs didn't just defend it to win 'the game', they took it to win The Game.

Those two deserve far more credit than Carroll, Bevell, or Wilson deserve blame.

DanielTx

Veteran
Exactlyyyyy, a smart qb would have audibled into a run even if it was goal line. They had the best running back at the time... even if they would have scored on the pass the decision will always be looked at as stupid

DanielTx

Veteran
Exactlyyyyy, it was 1st down.. a smart qb would have audibled into a run even if it was goal line defense. They had the best running back at the time... even if they would have scored on the pass the decision will always be looked at as stupid. & I know carrol called the play. Because Russ didn’t audible, he missed out on 2-3 more superbowls with one of the greatest defenses of all time

eriadoc

Texan-American
Anyone who thinks they're right about commenting on a QB's intelligence is a freakin' I'd!ot, generally speaking. Not accusing you of that; I'll let your posts speak for themselves.

DanielTx

Veteran
It’s already spoke for itself. I have more likes than comments and idc about it. Calling someone an idiot because you disagree with there opinions speaks volumes to your character sir. You disappoint me

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
I never understood why you put Wentz over Watson. What did he achieve that Watson didnt?
You saying Wentz isnt good. Unfortunately for him hes had Injury problems. I think his first case of Injury was while running for a TD. DW4 is 4th in lead in rushing TDs. I hold my breath everytime he runs. Wentz is good enough to be argued top 5. One great thing about him was pushing the ball downfield with success. DW4 was getting hammered for trying to push the ball downfield behind a horrid Oline. Now DW4 has solid Oline play and looking tight. His situation is good currently. Wentz situation not as good.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame

I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

Carroll called basically a similar play to the same thing Belicheck did in the same situation. I don't fault Carroll's play call at all. He made the call based on the formation and the defensive set the Patriots had on the field so his decision was strictly based on strategy, and had nothing to do with being angry with Lynch. He saw what he felt would be a high % play to complete based on who the Pats had on the field. Also, he just gave Lynch the ball the play before that and Lynch got stopped by Hightower who has made game saving SB plays in 3 SB's now. Scoring inside the 5 yard line is one of the hardest things to do even when you have a truck like Lynch. I'm pretty sure he would have ran the ball the next play had they just gotten an incomplete pass or something.

KarlK

Waterboy
Not even close to top 5.

40% of his numbers this year have came against the s h * t t y Falcons.

He’s pretty pedestrian against good defenses. Except when they go into the prevent. We see this every week.

DanielTx

Veteran
Not even close to top 5.

40% of his numbers this year have came against the s h * t t y Falcons.

He’s pretty pedestrian against good defenses. Except when they go into the prevent. We see this every week.
Good defenses like the patriots, saints, Seattle LoD, jags, chargers and cowboys? If mahomes was trash against a sh**** defense like the Texans, does that make him pedestrian too?

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Being on one leg makes him rather pedestrian..

I guess you'd also have to call passing for 270+ yards, 3 tds, and a 96+ passer rating trash..

DanielTx

Veteran
Being on one leg makes him rather pedestrian..

I guess you'd also have to call passing for 270+ yards, 3 tds, and a 96+ passer rating trash..
2 crucial turnovers with a L. I wouldn’t call that having a good game but ok. I see your a stats guy. I like wins and the better qb won that day. Next question

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
2 crucial turnovers with a L. I wouldn’t call that having a good game but ok. I see your a stats guy. I like wins and the better qb won that day. Next question
He wasn't 'trash' by any measure. Except of course your koolaid stained hate goggles.

And Mahomes has had wins all the way to a conference championship game.

But lets not talk about the crucial turnover today.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Good defenses like the patriots, saints, Seattle LoD, jags, chargers and cowboys? If mahomes was trash against a sh**** defense like the Texans, does that make him pedestrian too?
He was not trash against the Texans. The Texans defense just made a few more plays than the KC defense did. You act like it wasn't a close game that went down to the 4th quarter. Watson comes back this week and makes quite a few WTF plays. He isn't perfect. He is a QB that is growing each week.

KarlK

Waterboy
I’m talking about 2 TD passes total in 4 games against the top 4 defenses he’s played this season. Your telling me he’s a top 5 qb when 4/7 games he’s played in he’s been a nonfactor?

And I don’t give a crap what Mahomes has done, we’re talking about Watson.

but since you brought him up. I’d take him any day over Watson. And so would you.

DanielTx

Veteran
He was not trash against the Texans. The Texans defense just made a few more plays than the KC defense did. You act like it wasn't a close game that went down to the 4th quarter. Watson comes back this week and makes quite a few WTF plays. He isn't perfect. He is a QB that is growing each week.
Mahomes should have gave his check for that game to fuller. It wasn’t suppose to be close. 3 missed tds and 2 fgs from the Texans resulting in a close game. I just want to go on record and say that I think mahomes is a good qb. He’s a top 10 qb at best and I’m being generous. Top 5 QBs are winners. I still don’t see that fire that I see from the Brady’s, Rodgers and Watson’s in mahomes. He’s a good qb and maybe someday, football heads might put him as top 5. Alex smith played in a conference championship. Matt Schaub did too. Never was top 5 QBs