Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Watson’s a top 5 qb. Do you agree?

If I was to build a team JUST for next season only and salary doesn't matter... I'd go Rodgers, Mahomes, then it would be a tough decision between Russ & Watson for my 3rd choice at QB.

I guess that makes him top 5 in my eyes?

If I factored in salary, though, lots of other guys would come into play.

the more losses he gets the more im thinking ...... hes dropping out of the top 10 ...!!!!

hopefully we can build a good team around him so we can find out

we gotta hit on the little drafts picks we got and maybe we can hit on the 2 Free agents we maybe could bring in next year

the more losses he gets the more im thinking ...... hes dropping out of the top 10 ...!!!!

we gotta hit on the little drafts picks we got and maybe we can hit on the 2 Free agents we maybe could bring in next year

He's solidly in the top 10.

I couldn't think of 2 QB's I'd rather build a team around. Might be 4-5 that I would take for one game or one season ....

Thing is , his greatest strength is also his Achilles heel ... It's almost like watching Bret Favre in his prime - No no no no, WTF are you doing ?! OMG how did he do that!!!!. The one difference is consistency outside of those big plays. Don't play superman on every down.

He really needs a structured offense .... what he's doing now is pretty much playground football.

He's solidly in the top 10.

I couldn't think of 2 QB's I'd rather build a team around. Might be 4-5 that I would take for one game or one season ....

Thing is , his greatest strength is also his Achilles heel ... It's almost like watching Bret Favre in his prime - No no no no, WTF are you doing ?! OMG how did he do that!!!!. The one difference is consistency outside of those big plays. Don't play superman on every down.

He really needs a structured offense .... what he's doing now is pretty much playground football.

You really think he would do well in a structured offense? If he does well it will be the 1st time in his life he's played in a structured offense, much less played well in a structured offense.

I’d trade it all for a good F.O.

Texans are turning him into Matthew Stanford.

I’d trade it all for a good F.O.

Texans are turning him into Matthew Stanford.

I don't think so .... Watson has said on several occasions that he expects to take hits because of the way he approaches the position. He knows he causes many of these hits / sacks because he's standing in there giving the WR's time to break free .... Often after their initial route has come to an end and its a scramble drill..

If he was a statue back there getting blasted by OL whiffing blocks at a high rate , that's a different story but that's just not the case. Those whiffs and blow by's are once or twice a game if that and that happens to just about every team / QB.
You really think he would do well in a structured offense? If he does well it will be the 1st time in his life he's played in a structured offense, much less played well in a structured offense.

Yeah , I think a more structured offense built around a heavy running game , play action and designed plays getting him in space would be ideal for his skill set and keep him from being his own worst enemy holding the ball until it takes a "how did he do that" play to avoid a negative play.
This current system just gives him too many options and lets him freelance far too often.
Optimally the only time you want to be doing that is when you have to - at the end of a half or when trailing late , otherwise you don't play with such risk , take easy throws / yards and move the sticks , take those shots when you have the defense in a favorable down / distance or favorable coverage.
If you are taking deep shots as your first read out of play action / boots with secondary reads being crossing / seam routes / checkdown , it should force him to make those decisions rather than holding the ball until he has to make a "how did he do that" play.
And play action helps the OL a whole lot too ....

My top priority this offseason would be a versatile RB who can be a threat as both a runner and catching the ball either as a checkdown option or in the screen game. (I'll worry about the defense after that). RB's are a low priority position in the draft now days , so you should be able to get a premier talent with that early 3rd round pick. I'm targeting Memphis RB Kenneth Gainwell.
After RB I can't make up my mind if I want an OG or a defensive player at either DB or edge rusher. Kinda depends upon the cap casualties.

My top priority this offseason would be a versatile RB who can be a threat as both a runner and catching the ball either as a checkdown option or in the screen game. (I'll worry about the defense after that). RB's are a low priority position in the draft now days , so you should be able to get a premier talent with that early 3rd round pick. I'm targeting Memphis RB Kenneth Gainwell.
After RB I can't make up my mind if I want an OG or a defensive player at either DB or edge rusher. Kinda depends upon the cap casualties.
Yes i too feel the same in regards to improving the running game. I dont really follow college football but ill definitely keep an eye out for your 3rd round running back.

Yes i too feel the same in regards to improving the running game. I dont really follow college football but ill definitely keep an eye out for your 3rd round running back.

Gainwell may be gone before they pick , he's somewhere between the #3-5 RB in the draft class but is the kind of back I'm looking for - a very versatile one that can tote it 15-20 times and be a factor as a pass catcher too. His only real weakness is in pass protection.
Another thing I really like is that he's a sophomore and doesn't have a lot of miles on the tires. RB's wear down so fast in this league ....

Fixing the running game has to be one of the biggest issues with this team going into next year. That's probably the most impactful thing they could do offensively.

I don't think so .... Watson has said on several occasions that he expects to take hits because of the way he approaches the position.
I’m not talking about the hits.

With Kubiak & Smith we invested heavily in the defense. With O’Brien we invested heavily in the offense.

I’d like a front office that can figure out how to build both sides of the ball at the same time.

Last edited:
keep him from being his own worst enemy holding the ball until it takes a "how did he do that" play to avoid a negative play.

We’ve seen him dissect mediocre/poor defenses, even a decent defense like the Colts when the QB pressure isn’t there. If we can get him that kind of time against the better defenses he’d dissect those as well.

a good run game & play action game could help in that area quite a bit.

Gainwell may be gone before they pick , he's somewhere between the #3-5 RB in the draft class but is the kind of back I'm looking for - a very versatile one that can tote it 15-20 times and be a factor as a pass catcher too. His only real weakness is in pass protection.
Another thing I really like is that he's a sophomore and doesn't have a lot of miles on the tires. RB's wear down so fast in this league ....

Fixing the running game has to be one of the biggest issues with this team going into next year. That's probably the most impactful thing they could do offensively.

I really like Gainwell because he was good enough to keep Antonio Gibson on the bench when both were at Memphis. However the biggest problem of many on the Texans defense is the inability to stop the run. Davis from Georgia can help in this regard. Robinson can do all of the things that Gainwell can do and all Alabama RB's are good at pass pro or they dont play. I think Robinson was stuck in the same type of situation Kamara was when he was at Alabama. (Stuck behind another great RB) Although Robinson is a different type of RB than Kamara. Robinson reminds me more of a Mark Ingram type RB and he should be available in the 4th rd. If you want a Gainewell type RB in the 4th rd or so, the guy I like alot is Patterson from Buffalo. This guy is a stud.

With Kubiak & Smith we invested heavily in the defense. With O’Brien we invested heavily in the offense.

I’d like a front office that can figure out how to build both sides of the ball at the same time.
Problem with that is you have so many holes to fill on both sides of the ball, and very little to do anything about it. I am curious to see if coaching alone can fix some things, particularly o-line, and if so, the offense wouldn't need a whole lot to get right. The defense however, needs a complete overhaul. There isn't even a foundation to build on there.

Problem with that is you have so many holes to fill on both sides of the ball, and very little to do anything about it. I am curious to see if coaching alone can fix some things, particularly o-line, and if so, the offense wouldn't need a whole lot to get right. The defense however, needs a complete overhaul. There isn't even a foundation to build on there.
I agree with you. But I'm talking about over the whole term. I mean Kubiak was finally adding blue chip pieces to the offense, but Bill kept feeding an offense he couldn't fix. & the defense paid.

What Watson has done under the current circumstances should be considered remarkable. But for some reason a few members has a case of the nagging wife/girlfriend syndrome. Which is they only sees the negatives. No matter what you do for them, they’re too busy checking your phone or just gripping and arguing for no reason at all. Watson has thrown for 4400+ 30+ with only 6 interceptions. He has put this team in position to win at least 8 of those 11 losses and either his defense failed him or Martin and that offensive line did. And yet we’re still stuck on a narrative of him holding onto to the ball too long. I’ve watched plenty of football and I can tell you all of these quarterbacks tends to hold the ball too long. Wilson is notorious for holding the ball too long looking or waiting for a receiver to get open. Wilson has been sacked the same amount of times as Watson. But you do not hear about him holding onto the ball too long. The master of holding onto the ball quote on quote was Bret HOFer Favre.

Speedy to answer your question that was directed at another member is Watson needs to throw for 10000 yards, passer rating of 100 and toss 100 Touchdowns with 0 interceptions.

But for some reason a few members has a case of the nagging wife/girlfriend syndrome.
For the most part I don't know why you give those guys so much of your time. You know how they roll. I wouldn't waste so much time thinking about what they say.

At the same time, how bad does the team have to be for Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson to go 4-11? How bad does it all have to be to be 1-11 for scoring (including field goals) on opening drives?

Statistically Watson is having a heck of a year. Athletically he's the bees knees. But situationally, something's wrong.

I'm not saying it's all on him, but I'm not going to blame the defense when we go 3 & out as regularly as we do in the 1st qtr.

Last edited:
For the most part I don't know why you give those guys so much of your time. You know how they roll. I wouldn't waste so much time thinking about what they say.

At the same time, how bad does the team have to be for Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson to go 4-11? How bad does it all have to be to be 10-1 for scoring (including field goals) on opening drives?

Statistically Watson is having a heck of a year. Athletically he's the bees knees. But situationally, something's wrong.

I'm not saying it's all on him, but I'm not going to blame the defense when we go 3 & out as regularly as we do in the 1st qtr.

They’re still stuck on those script plays. That’s on the coaching because they’re stuck on trying to get the running game going. It also seems as if they’re trying to see what the defense is doing. On quite of few of those occasions we have seen some drive killers aka penalties.

As you can see I haven’t given those guys that type of attention. I’m just piggy backing off from what you were saying. Therefore we’re both given them some attention since you addressed big C first.

They’re still stuck on those script plays. That’s on the coaching because they’re stuck on trying to get the running game going. It also seems as if they’re trying to see what the defense is doing. On quite of few of those occasions we have seen some drive killers aka penalties.

Dropped balls & penalties, yes those are issues. What's the field general doing to fix those?

As you can see I haven’t given those guys that type of attention. I’m just piggy backing off from what you were saying. Therefore we’re both given them some attention since you addressed big C first.

big C?

I just don't think they have the assets to build / fix both this offseason. No first or second round pick and they are going to have to cut people to make cap space. Gonna be hard to improve because of that.

We’ve seen him dissect mediocre/poor defenses, even a decent defense like the Colts when the QB pressure isn’t there. If we can get him that kind of time against the better defenses he’d dissect those as well.

a good run game & play action game could help in that area quite a bit.

You know , we (I) used to say he was "missing reads" / open receivers .... In hindsight , I don't think that's the case , I'm almost convinced he see's those short to intermediate opportunities and choses these deeper throws instead.
I like the confidence .... but the results are so often negative / net zero that it makes sustaining drives difficult. I'd really like the next coach to rein him in in that aspect , being more selective on when to take those chances.

I just don't think they have the assets to build / fix both this offseason. No first or second round pick and they are going to have to cut people to make cap space. Gonna be hard to improve because of that.
Right. I'm talking about long term. Not just next season.

You know , we (I) used to say he was "missing reads" / open receivers .... In hindsight , I don't think that's the case , I'm almost convinced he see's those short to intermediate opportunities and choses these deeper throws instead.

I don't know. Last year I was with you 100% this year I don't think it's black & white.

At the same time, how bad does the team have to be for Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson to go 4-11? How bad does it all have to be to be 1-11 for scoring (including field goals) on opening drives?

All I'm saying is DW4 shares in the responsibility for those failures.

Those scripted play tended to work the game McCarron got to QB.

TB you've changed your your theme from lets give the youngster time to after 4 yrs it's everybody but DW4's fault the franchise is where it is. He shares no responsibility.

you know , we (I) used to say he was "missing reads" / open receivers .... In hindsight , I don't think that's the case , I'm almost convinced he see's those short to intermediate opportunities and choses these deeper throws instead.
I like the confidence .... but the results are so often negative / net zero that it makes sustaining drives difficult. I'd really like the next coach to rein him in in that aspect , being more selective on when to take those chances.
I've seen a lot of improvement from Watson this season in his decision making. Add to that, the fact he's been working with a lot of revolving parts in the offense all season, I have nothing to complain about in terms of his play. I still don't understand why Watson receives the lions share of the blame from you and a few others here when there is SO MUCH WRONG with this team. Help me understand that. Help me understand why the thread about the defense goes largely ignored by you and pretty much everybody else. I just don't get it.

People want to talk about football here or do they just want to nit-pick everything Watson? Compare him to the Matthew Stafford's of the league? It looks like the later. Any NFL fan that happened to visit this board this season is probably pretty confused by all the controversy and arguing over Watson. He is quite literally the only thing going right for this team.

Anyway, I don't argue about Watson anymore (but I have been critical of him in the very recent past, I'm talking the beginning for this season when you-know-who was coaching) and I actually find the "top 10 QB" and the ultra critical comments amusing. I really can't take those types of comments serious but I just felt compelled to finally chime in. Oh, and to say this...personally I don't want any part of a HC that will come in here and try to manage Watson like O'Brien attempted to manage Watson. He practically neutered the guy and last year O'Brien, somehow, turned Hopkins into an average receiver. And how did THAT look last year and the beginning of this year? Sustaining drives with a short passing game sounds really neat until it stalls in the red zone because you can't run the ball for **** and your defense gives up a TD on the first drive in 8 out of 9 games. But yeah, lets critique Watson some more.

If this is the case then it's never going to change since his mindset is set and this is the way he's played all of his life.

I've seen a lot of improvement from Watson this season in his decision making. Add to that, the fact he's been working with a lot of revolving parts in the offense all season, I have nothing to complain about in terms of his play. I still don't understand why Watson receives the lions share of the blame from you and a few others here when there is SO MUCH WRONG with this team. Help me understand that. Help me understand why the thread about the defense goes largely ignored by you and pretty much everybody else. I just don't get it.

People want to talk about football here or do they just want to nit-pick everything Watson? Compare him to the Matthew Stafford's of the league? It looks like the later. Any NFL fan that happened to visit this board this season is probably pretty confused by all the controversy and arguing over Watson. He is quite literally the only thing going right for this team.

Anyway, I don't argue about Watson anymore (but I have been critical of him in the very recent past, I'm talking the beginning for this season when you-know-who was coaching) and I actually find the "top 10 QB" and the ultra critical comments amusing. I really can't take those types of comments serious but I just felt compelled to finally chime in. Oh, and to say this...personally I don't want any part of a HC that will come in here and try to manage Watson like O'Brien attempted to manage Watson. He practically neutered the guy and last year O'Brien, somehow, turned Hopkins into an average receiver. And how did THAT look last year and the beginning of this year? Sustaining drives with a short passing game sounds really neat until it stalls in the red zone because you can't run the ball for **** and your defense gives up a TD on the first drive in 8 out of 9 games. But yeah, lets critique Watson some more.

Yet despite all of this these awesome stats have been put out there. There's 4 things you can count on this season with the Texans and yes DW4 bears some responsibility for this.

1. Failing to score on the 1st drive
2. Scoring 0-7 points in atleast 1/2 of each game
3. Screwing up when the game is on the line. This includes Offense/Defense.
4. The defense sucking and failing to make critical stops.

Would that be complimentary suckage?

Watson is one of the few who accepts his responsibility. Which is more than I can say for a lot of the players, coaches, front office, and ownership. Deshaun is part of the solution. Not the problem. 53 Deshaun Watsons will bring a parade to Houston.

We will see, I bet we're having these same discussions 2 yrs from now. I should bookmark this post and re-visit it then.

You wouldn't think this if you read TB's posts.

Another thing that you dont know.

It sure is nice to see some talking football instead of other members

Speaking of talking football, what areas do you think can be quickly improved? Since the draft seems to be better on the offensive side of the ball I think drafting a RB/OT and moving Howard to OG might be the fastest way to improve the team.

Right. I'm talking about long term. Not just next season.

I don't know. Last year I was with you 100% this year I don't think it's black & white.

Long term they gotta find some playmakers on defense both in the draft and in FA.

If he's not missing reads and passing up open short throws for deep shots consistently then that's just dumb decision making. (No I'm not saying DW4's dumb TB.)

Speaking of talking football, what areas do you think can be quickly improved? Since the draft seems to be better on the offensive side of the ball I think drafting a RB/OT and moving Howard to OG might be the fastest way to improve the team.
1. Coaching
2. IR returns healthy
3. Free Agents 3-4
4. Trades and Cuts
5. No Corona

Yet despite all of this these awesome stats have been put out there. There's 4 things you can count on this season with the Texans and yes DW4 bears some responsibility for this.

1. Failing to score on the 1st drive
2. Scoring 0-7 points in atleast 1/2 of each game
3. Screwing up when the game is on the line. This includes Offense/Defense.
4. The defense sucking and failing to make critical stops.
This season reminds me of 2013 and 2017 when it was almost comical how the Texans could find ways to lose close games.

Long term they gotta find some playmakers on defense both in the draft and in FA.

If he's not missing reads and passing up open short throws for deep shots consistently then that's just dumb decision making. (No I'm not saying DW4's dumb TB.)

Yes you are since you needed to defend this hot take. Dude every darn QB miss quite a few reads per game not just the dummy in Houston. And for the millionth time Watson is in the top 3 with these short passes you tend to use to shoot him down.

Yes you are since you needed to defend this hot take. Dude every darn QB miss quite a few reads per game not just the dummy in Houston. And for the millionth time Watson is in the top 3 with these short passes you tend to use to shoot him down.

Shocking take, you call that defending? LMAO,

What happened to your other hot take of give the youngster time but changing to it's everybody else's fault but DW4'S?

I think fixing the running game will be easiest for 2021 and show the most improvement. A solid RB that can get you the tough yard is key. I'll let the new coaching staff decide on the OL, but you're probably right

Compare him to the Matthew Stafford's of the league?
I like Matthew Stafford. But this is where we are. A damn good QB with everything around him failing.

I asked earlier, how bad does the team have to be for Wilson or Rodgers to go 4-11. I honestly don't know if they ever had, though I think Rodgers has, recently. So it's not an indictment of Watson. But, there's something lacking.

Three games got me thinking about this. We were so close to winning, but it just didn't happen, regardless whose fault it was.

There's a lot that isn't his fault. But he's in position to influence everything on offense, & we're scoring 30 points on teams that allow 30 points & not against teams that don't.

I hope like heck the next coaching staff is better at attacking defenses, teaching how to attack defenses, & leading their team to attack defenses.

Back