Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Vince Wilfork to Houston - **signed**

Yep. It's very difficult to go by other's people recommendation because everyone's tastes are different.
I haven't been to a lot of restaurants lately, but Don Carlos off of Canal was one of my favorites.

While I love some other places here in Houston, I still prefer the ones in San Antonio though.

For me, the GOLD STANDARD for all Tex-Mex is El Chaparral in Helotis and San Antonio; http://elchaparral.com/

As for BBQ if you don't see a smoke stack you probably don't want to eat there. Rudy's does a good job in the overall dept, everything is tasty from the brisket to the ice tea.

You know, where he mentions always wanting Wilfork to be on his team? I think that's common around here. We blew a pick on Dunta Robinson (I'm a certified Dunta hater) when we had Glenn and Coleman back there doing just fine and Wilfork was just waiting there to be taken. In all the years that followed I remember wishing that we had drafted that (as Vinny put it) "Big ol' cheeseburger eating NT" to hold it all together around him.

What I wouldn't give to do the 2004 draft over again. Pass on Dumbass, grab Wilfork, disregard Babin and that idiotic trade back up into the first round, and take your picks like we should have. Early Texans draft history will give you an ulcer if you spend too much time looking at it. I need to learn to let it go.

Aaron Rodgers\Travis Johnson

-2-1.gif~c200

I was making a joke about Wilfork would need surgery the second he signed.
OIC said the Ohio Improved Chester. (talking about hogs...) You must be one of those people whom others must be acquainted with to know whether they're serious. In that case I'm glad we got Wilfork.

With a minimal amount of time devoted to research it's easy to find "good" BBQ in Houston. Good BBQ is actually fairly common (as is "bad" BBQ). The thing is, what everyone wants is "great" BBQ and you have to track that stuff down because it's harder to find.

Likewise "terrible" BBQ isn't that common either but when you encounter it you know you done screwed up.

It's like Tex-Mex. There's so many of them there's the whole spectrum from crap to excellent. Hard to tell from the outside.

Yep. Bad barbeque survives in Texas because of the overall popularity of barbeque here in general. An example in Austin is Bill Miller BBQ. It's barbeque for people who have given up.

The hottest part of the day is the afternoon. Around 4:00 pm in Houston.

The humidity is high at the time as well because of showers that last about 1 hour and then the sun is back out creating a steam bath.
San Antonio is one of the sweatiest cities in the US.

You know, where he mentions always wanting Wilfork to be on his team? I think that's common around here. We blew a pick on Dunta Robinson (I'm a certified Dunta hater) when we had Glenn and Coleman back there doing just fine and Wilfork was just waiting there to be taken. In all the years that followed I remember wishing that we had drafted that (as Vinny put it) "Big ol' cheeseburger eating NT" to hold it all together around him.

What I wouldn't give to do the 2004 draft over again. Pass on Dumbass, grab Wilfork, disregard Babin and that idiotic trade back up into the first round, and take your picks like we should have. Early Texans draft history will give you an ulcer if you spend too much time looking at it. I need to learn to let it go.

I was right there with you in 2004 praying for Wilfork to anchor the DL.

The stuff here is a crapshoot. You may have to find a good bbq outside of Houston. Look a few pages back, we had a discussion about it.
:kitten:

Good BBQ? Absolutely. Good BBQ Restaurants? Not really, but that's typical everywhere. BBQ is just better when prepared by friends for friends.

OMG if only Cush could come back to a semblance of his former self. Use the 1st on the best damn ILB in college football and lace em up!!

This defense will be the best in football next year. Wattch!

Offensively? TBD.

[IMGwidthsize=400]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CAT4h14UUAAS_lj.jpg[/IMG]
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CAT4h14UUAAS_lj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone heard what number he'll be wearing? Will he try to buy Newton out of 75? Or will he go a different route?

I know it can't happen, but it'd be awesome seeing him wear a #1

Does Houston have BBQ?

The stuff I had was real bad.
depends on taste. Some thinka tomato sauce and putting in oven is Barbque, others insist wood only for heat or gas or a combo. Some want a grill others a pit. Some use steam or boiling to aid the tenderizing process. Some say it is only brisket others say steak or ribs or chicken or ..I have been invited to "barbques" that ended being shiska bobs and another was a wiener roast. In Texas, we have barbque just have to get your definition first. Heck we even argue about how to spell it.

Back to signing Wilfork.

depends on taste. Some thinka tomato sauce and putting in oven is Barbque, others insist wood only for heat or gas or a combo. Some want a grill others a pit. Some use steam or boiling to aid the tenderizing process. Some say it is only brisket others say steak or ribs or chicken or ..I have been invited to "barbques" that ended being shiska bobs and another was a wiener roast. In Texas, we have barbque just have to get your definition first. Heck we even argue about how to spell it.

Back to signing Wilfork.

OK, hold on.... :)

Those should be the nationwide differences, not differences in a city in Texas.

To me, as someone who spent a good amount of time living in Texas, barbecue is a cooking process (cooking meat, in Texas it's traditionally beef brisket) that involves some sort of wood smoke and indirect low heat over an extended period of time (depends of course on what you're cooking). Don't care if it's a pit, or a stand up smoker, or something else.

My friends from Tennessee tell me that barbecue only means pork cooked with that method, but everyone I know in Texas disagrees.

A grilled steak should never be confused with barbecued meat. :)

Has anyone heard what number he'll be wearing? Will he try to buy Newton out of 75? Or will he go a different route?

I know it can't happen, but it'd be awesome seeing him wear a #1
My sources tell me he will wear two numbers like 77-78 on his jersey. Texas law also mandates a flag hanging out his pocket and sign somewhere saying "wide load".

OK, hold on.... :)

Those should be the nationwide differences, not differences in a city in Texas.

To me, as someone who spent a good amount of time living in Texas, barbecue is a cooking process (cooking meat, in Texas it's traditionally beef brisket) that involves some sort of wood smoke and indirect low heat over an extended period of time (depends of course on what you're cooking). Don't care if it's a pit, or a stand up smoker, or something else.

My friends from Tennessee tell me that barbecue only means pork cooked with that method, but everyone I know in Texas disagrees.

A grilled steak should never be confused with barbecued meat. :)

BBQ MUSTS:
1. Meat
2. Smoke
3. [{(TIME)}]

After that it's preference.

and that's just your opinion

That is what DEFINES the cooking method. Everything else is a misnomer, though it occurs far too frequently. Grilling - NOT BBQ. Roasting - NOT BBQ. Boiling - DEFINITELY NOT BBQ. Veggies can't take the heat long enough to be BBQ. It is grilled and a misnomer. Sauce is not BBQ though it can be used as an adjective to describe the intended use. CHIPS are not BBQ, they are BBQ flavored.

Anyway, this is the reality and anyone who disagree is just WRONG - not merely the holder of another VALID opinion.

My sources tell me he will wear two numbers like 77-78 on his jersey. Texas law also mandates a flag hanging out his pocket and sign somewhere saying "wide load".

A special dispensation from the NFL for 100. That's the ticket.

"Well a friend of mine sent me that list and he told me he had written the perfect BBQ formula. I wrote him back and said that it was not the perfect BBQ formula because he hadn't said anything at all about beer, or black pepper, or potato salad, or pickles and onions, or momma, or getting drunk..... "

You should know what to do next.

"barbecue" is from the Caribbean in the 17th century and refers to the rack meats were hung on in outdoor cooking. A french version was boucan from which boucaniers is derived and ultimately buccaneers. So it wasn't a matter of a particular meat, timing, having enclosed smoke, etc.

That is what DEFINES the cooking method. Everything else is a misnomer, though it occurs far too frequently. Grilling - NOT BBQ. Roasting - NOT BBQ. Boiling - DEFINITELY NOT BBQ. Veggies can't take the heat long enough to be BBQ. It is grilled and a misnomer. Sauce is not BBQ though it can be used as an adjective to describe the intended use. CHIPS are not BBQ, they are BBQ flavored.

Anyway, this is the reality and anyone who disagree is just WRONG - not merely the holder of another VALID opinion.

yes you are just wrong trying to put your definition to everbody. You can go away now

"Well a friend of mine sent me that list and he told me he had written the perfect BBQ formula. I wrote him back and said that it was not the perfect BBQ formula because he hadn't said anything at all about beer, or black pepper, or potato salad, or pickles and onions, or momma, or getting drunk..... "

MSR

I was drunk when my mother went out for pickles . She stopped to buy beer and liquor in the rain but before she stopped I called her for black pepper and onions for tater salad if she didn't mind stopping again .

I haven't tried that place yet and I lived here for 8 years. lol

It's been difficult going out to try different restaurants because of the kids.

You're doing yourself a dis-service. The Don'key is hole in the wall awesomeness. I once saw a woman get cut off after too many margaritas there threaten the waiter if they didn't serve her any more booze. She then took out her glass eye and threw it at the manager. Cops came, she got arrested. The cops were crawling around on hand and knee looking under tables for the lady's glass eye.

Good times...

Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Barbeque Cookoff Rules

Cooking Rules and Regulations
1. Only fires from wood or wood substance (no electric or gas) are permissible.
2. Prior to tagging, the meat may not be cooked, salted, seasoned, or marinated. No garnish is
allowed.
3. Teams may trim tagged meat after inspection and tagging.
4. Each team must cook beef brisket, pork ribs, or chicken. No combinations of the above are
acceptable
, and each team/cook may submit only one type.
5. Teams may cook two separate pieces of the same type of meat (e.g., two slabs of ribs, two
chickens, or two briskets). If a team elects to cook two pieces of meat, both pieces must be
tagged by the Contestant Supervisor. All entries (preliminary and final) must be cut from
the tagged meat in the presence of the Contestant Supervisor. The entry for the preliminary
round should be ample enough for judging by six judges and the final round should be
ample enough for 10 judges.
6. Each team must use the sample container provided, no other containers will be accepted,
judged or scored.
7. Sauce must be glazed, or cooked onto the meat entry. No pooled sauce or side sauce in the
provided sample container is permitted.
8. The container MUST NOT BE marked in any way (e.g., a good luck kiss with lipstick, a
thumbprint of the cook, pen marks, etc.)
9. The use of aluminum foil in the turn-in container is optional.

If the HLSR cannot define barbeque, I don't know who can. And anyone who disputes these rules must be a yankee

...or from Oklahoma
:D

Back