Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Vince Wilfork to Houston - **signed**

I'm glad they kept Newton and KJ but they are not an upgrade from last season

Not going to reargue QB. Only one gets on the field at a time. I expect Mallett to be better but he also was here last year.

Jennings, seriously?

Bottom line is as things stand right now we lost 5 starters (AJ, Myers, Pickett, Reed, Lewis) and have replaced only 1 at all - he is an upgrade. I don't think it is reasonable to expect 4 draft hits upgrading the other 4.

Add to that obvious weaknesses like slot WR, TE, ILB.

So far I think it's generous to say we are treading water. There's still time. Signing Shorts, Wilfork and Foster/McClain would substantially upgrade the offseason grade.

Really hope they are considering Shorts. Dirt cheap upgrade.
Feel any better? :koolaid:

I don't think he's been in Houston in the summer. At least not outdoors. Even though it's hotter in Dallas and Austin, it's worse because of the humidity AND heat in Houston.

Perhaps a chart of days Heat Indexes would be the best comp.
City..................95+/105+/115+
Houston, Texas 2917/460/11
Miami, Florida 3098/72/0

Miami has more days of 95+ heat index, But Houston has substantially more days of heat indexes above 105+ and 115+

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/US/hot-humid-days-cities.php

Last edited:
I don't think he's been in Houston in the summer. At least not outdoors. Even though it's hotter in Dallas and Austin, it's worse because of the humidity AND heat in Houston.

Perhaps a chart of average Heat Indexes would be the best comp.

But the extra humidity will be much appreciated by his wife and the improved moisturization and suppleness of her skin.:)

Wilfork played more DE than NT last yr. I could see a Watt/Nix/Wilfork DL if Nix grows up. I could even see the Texans drafting a NT like Xavier/Terry Williams in the 5-6th rd to ensure Wilfork plays a lot of DE/5 tech.

Good thing is RAC is like a mad scientist and I can assure you that this DL will be one of, if not the best in the NFL.

The way they move Watt around sometimes I wonder if they might flip Nix and Wilfork from time to time too depending on how the matchup looks.

The way they move Watt around sometimes I wonder if they might flip Nix and Wilfork from time to time too depending on how the matchup looks.

Yep

Having 2 guys like Watt/Wilfork that can play anywhere along the DL opens up all kinds of possibilities. Sad thing is I would like to see a healthy Clowney with Watt/Wilfork lined up rushing Luck on 3rd and longs. We will never see what could've been.

Yep

Having 2 guys like Watt/Wilfork that can play anywhere along the DL opens up all kinds of possibilities. Sad thing is I would like to see a healthy Clowney with Watt/Wilfork lined up rushing Luck on 3rd and longs. We will never see what could've been.

Never?

I think this is great regardless. Louis Nix looks up to Vince Wilfork and idolized him growing up. Now he can actually learn from him. If we can get two or three strong years out of Wilfork then by that time Nix will hopefully be ready to take over as a full-time starter at nose tackle.

bos_u_vwil66_cr_300x200.jpg

very cool!!!

Now what do we do if both Danny Shelton and one or more of (Cooper/White/Parker) are there? Accentuate the positive or eliminate the negative?

without a doubt you take shelton. He is the better talent and now you have the DL set for years. Its a very deep WR draft.

I'm shocked. I was wrong. Didn't think he would sign with us. Figured he would play us against the Patriots then retire if the Pats didn't increase their offer.

I'm glad I was wrong. Looking forward to Vince with Jj & Mercilus.. I'm starting to feel optimistic about 2015 & Ricky Bobby.

Too close to Miami to get acclimated to Houston type weather. Orlando and North would have been comparable. Miami temperatures moderate a bit from the sea breeze.
You've never been to Miami in the summer time. That place puts Houston to shame as far as humidity is concerned. And, believe it or else, the mosquitos are worse.

I'm still stoked about signing Wilfork and Shorts, though. As far as why NE let him walk, maybe BB did his protégé a favor. I have no doubt that BB remembers his stint as Cleveland's HC. He could've used a few favors like that.

I'm shocked. I was wrong. Didn't think he would sign with us. Figured he would play us against the Patriots then retire if the Pats didn't increase their offer.

I'm glad I was wrong. Looking forward to Vince with Jj & Mercilus.. I'm starting to feel optimistic about 2015 & Ricky Bobby.

It made sense for both Vince (re-united and it feels so good ~ cheezy Peaches and Herb reference) with Romeo Crennel. and the fact that the Pats weren't gonna pay him shyte. Mix in his familiarity with BOB as well. It was a natural fit...

That said, I hope he has something left in the tank to:
A) Give JJ some help up front, and
B) Be somewhat of a mentor to Nix and finally:
C) Bring professionalism and a winning attitude to the Texans...

Meh.... We'll see!

You've never been to Miami in the summer time. That place puts Houston to shame as far as humidity is concerned. And, believe it or else, the mosquitos are worse.

Let's put it this way - any difference isn't big enough to be a conditioning factor.

I have no doubt that they will. RAC is already reviewing film of 2015 opponents and coming up with mismatches. I love this "game plan for specific opponent" scheme. Beats the hell out of "we do what we do, regardless of opponent" strategy.

QB's across the league have a "Chihuahua shitting a peach seed" look on their face! Watt and VW (talk about "bus" being a good nickname) will set an NFL record with 20 sacks each!!! :koolaid: or Watt gets 40 in 16 games!!!

I'm still stoked about signing Wilfork and Shorts, though. As far as why NE let him walk, maybe BB did his protégé a favor. I have no doubt that BB remembers his stint as Cleveland's HC. He could've used a few favors like that.

check the links I posted upthread... you're not even close to accurate

Let's put it this way - any difference isn't big enough to be a conditioning factor.
Then you haven't, either. There is a tremendous difference in humidity. I grew up in Houston and worked for 2 years in the greater Miami area. I loathe and detest humidity and would gladly take Houston over Miami. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive?

The overall "humid days" in Miami will be greater than the same in Houston.

so does this mean we get to drop one of our other two fatties?

I vote we nix Pickett and keep Louis III, that way we have a III on both
sides of the ball (now that we have signed Cecil Sharts..)

so does this mean we get to drop one of our other two fatties?

I vote we nix Pickett and keep Louis III, that way we have a III on both
sides of the ball (now that we have signed Cecil Sharts..)

Pickett is a FA. Why on earth would we even consider Pickett over Nix? We traded up for him last year, and Pickett is old as dirt.

Wilfork agrees with Texans.
Eau neau. Somebody said he probably needs microfracture surgery on both knees. If I read CnD correctly this is an extremely slow recovery. I was hoping he wouldn't come here. We can still hope he doesn't pass our physical on account of those knees, I guess. Or is it too late for that?

Lopez said WIlfork gone, I didn't want the has been over paid old fart anyway and he would have sucked too. I just know he is going to Colts or Pats or....wait, what?

He signed? Oh, I just knew he would as he is not that old and still a very good player and man I am glad he is here. Another day on Texanstalk message board.

Eau neau. Somebody said he probably needs microfracture surgery on both knees. If I read CnD correctly this is an extremely slow recovery. I was hoping he wouldn't come here. We can still hope he doesn't pass our physical on account of those knees, I guess. Or is it too late for that?
CnD says you're a dumbass and should stop posting on here. Permanently. :kitten: kinda..

Is there any better mentor to Nix we could possibly have?

"OK Louis, see the big line at the buffet? Screw that! That end where those people are lined up is just the salads. Go to the other end, grab one of them big plates and go straight for the good stuff. Oh, and grab us a couple of those soup bowls."

"Why Vince? Are we gonna eat soup?"

"Whaaat? Eat soup??? No way! The soup has vegetables in it! The bowls are for gravy. That way you have room for a third Chicken Fried Steak on your plate."

"You are a great mentor!"

Wilfork had a good season. I'm not sure what people are bitching about. He is by far a better option than any of these other guys we have.

Lol at the back and forth flip floppers that change their opinion every other hour.

I give this one a very cautious thumbs up. Not injured AND playing to his potential, he could be very good for us.

This is where I'm at, as well. But, I'm standing down my skeptic side and just enjoying the moment, and glad that the Texans are active in FA but making smart moves.

VW could be part of a historic monster D-line. The kind that NFL Films puts on lists in the future if they live up to their potential. I'm hoping Andy Luck and the rest of the QBs we face this year are a little nervous right now. Facing J.J. is already something to keep them up at night, but then adding Wilfork next to him is the stuff of nightmares.

Count me in as cautiously excited too.
:bravo:

Now if we'd just pick up a Brooks Reed upgrade at OLB and an swift ILB so Cushing won't have to cover we will have an absolutely formidable defense.

I'm good with the new look front three and the back four is solid but the makeover of the middle four still needs some more touch ups. However, there's time for that and I don't think RAC is done yet.

"OK Louis, see the big line at the buffet? Screw that! That end where those people are lined up is just the salads. Go to the other end, grab one of them big plates and go straight for the good stuff. Oh, and grab us a couple of those soup bowls."

"Why Vince? Are we gonna eat soup?"

"Whaaat? Eat soup??? No way! The soup has vegetables in it! The bowls are for gravy. That way you have room for a third Chicken Fried Steak on your plate."

"You are a great mentor!"
Nah! JJ gets into "The Bug's" head (yes, I coined calling Wilfork the "Bug") and he comes into TC lighter and stronger than ever. Able to jump over triple cheeseburger's in a single bound!! :koolaid

Am I the only one that feels bad for the big man come training camp? 100 degree weather! He's used to that mild weather up north. They need to keep him in the bubble on kirby.

I think they'll grant him some vet days off. RAC's not crazy.

Count me in as cautiously excited too.
:bravo:

Now if we'd just pick up a Brooks Reed upgrade at OLB and an swift ILB so Cushing won't have to cover we will have an absolutely formidable defense.

I'm good with the new look front three and the back four is solid but the makeover of the middle four still needs some more touch ups. However, there's time for that and I don't think RAC is done yet.

we may have to wait until the draft to upgrade ILB, then get a Dawson/Anthony

When I rewatch the last half of 2014, I think OMG for what the 2015 defense can look like!

IF they can remain relatively healthy, the defense will be scary good. Maybe '85 Bears good

Like I said, about 5 degree cooler and even more dramatic when you compare days over 95 in Houston versus Miami. A little less if you use 100 because of the number of days Houston reaches between 95 and 99 (ie Typical summer day in Houston).

But if the point is that it's not like up North, then I agree.

Our morning practices are over before it gets real hot and the afternoon practices are in the big bubble. You guys are over-blowing this temperature thing.

They didn't wear Pickett out last year did they?

I'd be more worried about him turning an ankle on that damned field on game day.

Whose knees are we talking about?

Our morning practices are over before it gets real hot and the afternoon practices are in the big bubble. You guys are over-blowing this temperature thing.

They didn't wear Pickett out last year did they?

I'd be more worried about him turning an ankle on that damned field on game day.

Pickett wasn't here during TC... just sayin'

CnD says you're a dumbass and should stop posting on here. Permanently. :kitten: kinda..
Oh, I don't think CnD will say that. Never known him to be that rude. Especially if he also thinks Wilfork is a disaster

Back