Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Vince Wilfork to Houston - **signed**

vince-wilfork-dancing-while-barbequing-on-memorial-day.gif

:texflag::texflag::texflag::texflag:

I assume this means he's not old and washed up anymore?

This just in, Wilfork suffered two ruptured hernias and will miss 2015 season. Rick Smith and medical staff reportedly knew but was hoping crazy glue and duct tape would get him through the season.

:troll:

You won't see Clowney in 2015 (at least that's what I believe) but that's fine. If you have to dedicate two guys to stopping Watt and Wilfork can occupy a pair of guys most downs then even Whitney Mercilus should be able to take advantage of that.
Agreed. But Week 1 in September is a long time away. If Jadeveon Clowney can just take it easy and be patient he may even be ready for football activities at some point in July. Even before the preseason starts in August. He was recently bit by D.J. Swearinger's pitbull but thankfully it was only minor. That is why I suggested that I'm okay drafting a linebacker in the early rounds as insurance. Some of you probably thought we had to anyway with Brooks Reed's departure. We have a lot of hungry linebackers on our roster right now that stepped up last season as well.

What have I been saying for the last few days? We are not getting Wilfork. He will wind up in Indy

Nope. It will be Cornhole Indiana for The U Dream Team. the collapse will be glorious when it fails.

Havent. Been saying he is going to Indy and I am sticking to it.

Maybe try to get Raji on a vet minimum, prove it deal?

Sure glad your foresight is not Nostradamus like

Clowney plays OLB. I wouldn't count on Clowney this year. I suspect with microfracture knee surgery he will end up on the PUP list.
I may be in the minority here but I expect to see Jadeveon Clowney on the field and ready to play for the Texans when Week 1 of the 2015 season rolls around in September. But just in case I'm okay if the Texans invest a high round pick into a linebacker. If there's a guy they really like at pick #16 in the first round I wouldn't hesitate. I'd trade down or take the best player available. Free agency has been a pretty good success for the Texans thus far. Guys like Vince Wilfork, Cecil Shorts and Rahim Moore. Three really good players. It's going to give them more options before the draft starts. In fact, if you truly believe that Clowney and Cushing won't be healthy in 2015 then by all means let's draft a linebacker in rounds one and two. We should be focusing on that. With a great defensive line in a 3-4 defense it's imperative that you have four solid starting linebackers. Not one or two. With depth on top of that.

JJ Watt ‏@JJWatt

Watt happy.

I don't think JJ tweeting "haha" means he's happy.

It means that he and Wilfork are going to murderate people next season. He's laughing at the fate of those poor QBs that face the Texans. "Haha" means **** JUST GOT REAL, SON!

Reactions: JB
I don't think JJ tweeting "haha" means he's happy.

It means that he and Wilfork are going to murderate people next season. He's laughing at the fate of those poor QBs that face the Texans. "Haha" means **** JUST GOT REAL, SON!

Awesome!

What three man front would that be???

I'm liking the DL in the three four and the situational four three as well:

3-4

JJ Watt
V. Wilfork
J Crick

4-3

JJ Watt
V. Wilfork
L Nix
J Crick

5-2

JJ Watt
V. Wilfork
L Nix
J Pagan
J Crick

Have to wonder if this signing is any indication that they are not confident in Nix return.
I think this is great regardless. Louis Nix looks up to Vince Wilfork and idolized him growing up. Now he can actually learn from him. If we can get two or three strong years out of Wilfork then by that time Nix will hopefully be ready to take over as a full-time starter at nose tackle.

bos_u_vwil66_cr_300x200.jpg

Now what do we do if both Danny Shelton and one or more of (Cooper/White/Parker) are there? Accentuate the positive or eliminate the negative?

Have to wonder if this signing is any indication that they are not confident in Nix return.

I think it's more about grooming Nix to take over in the next couple of years. I think Wilfork & the Texans FO have to know that he isn't a 3 down guy anymore like he was in NE. When he comes off, Nix can go in; it'll be relentless pressure on the o-line...

Bortles got sacked 60 something times last year...He cannot be happy right now.

Vince Wilfork is a man's man.

My goodness gracious, give the man his own barbecue restaurant. If he manhandles two or three offensive blockers at once on a consistent basis which he's known to do, I'm going to yell out, "Are you not entertained!"

J.J. Watt has to be licking his chops right now.
He may win the 2015 NFL MVP. Screw this being a QB's league.

I'm still a defensive guy myself. I love watching great defensive play.

I think it's more about grooming Nix to take over in the next couple of years. I think Wilfork & the Texans FO have to know that he isn't a 3 down guy anymore like he was in NE. When he comes off, Nix can go in; it'll be relentless pressure on the o-line...

Bortles got sacked 60 something times last year...He cannot be happy right now.
I want Andrew Luck to feel the pain!
Defensively we can still hit the Colts very hard.
Andre Johnson's signing just adds more fuel to the fire.

My goodness gracious, give the man his own barbecue restaurant. If he manhandles two or three offensive blockers at once on a consistent basis which he's known to do, I'm going to yell out, "Are you not entertained!"

So I guess this means Watt won't see triple teams this year?

Heck, Ted Washington played until he was 39 years old! This is Vince in the prime of his career. :)
When you're that big and strong, 33 years old is definitely in your prime. His job is to occupy two offensive blockers and clog the middle. Wilfork is strong enough to manhandle two guys at once. Opposing offenses now have to worry about more than Watt dominating up front. It's going to be difficult to run against the Texans defense. I could see Vince Wilfork playing in the NFL for another four years.

So I guess this means Watt won't see triple teams this year?
The simple answer is no. Remember that 17-10 Colts win over the Texans at Indianapolis late last season? When Luck threw that TD pass to Hakeem Nicks, which turned out to be the game-winning play. The Colts used three blockers against Watt on that play. That definitely doesn't happen with Vince Wilfork in the game. I'm not buying all of this Colts hype. People want to crown their ass like the Super Bowl champions already. I think the Texans will have a lot to prove in 2015.

Make that two of us. I grew up watching the original Doomsday D and it's successor DDII. Then I watched Elvin Bethea and Curly Culp, who I see as the Wilfork comparable.

It make take a little time. But by the middle of the season, I see extraordinary D in Houston.

Make that two of us. I grew up watching the original Doomsday D and it's successor DDII. Then I watched Elvin Bethea and Curly Culp, who I see as the Wilfork comparable.

It make take a little time. But by the middle of the season, I see extraordinary D in Houston.

Just as long as we are not 2-6 come the middle of the season. I am not ready to drink the Kool-aid quite yet. We still have holes to fill but what team doesn't?

Just as long as we are not 2-6 come the middle of the season. I am not ready to drink the Kool-aid quite yet. We still have holes to fill but what team doesn't?

I heard they don't even need to play the games next season.

Colts vs Eagles in the Super Bowl!

I give this one a very cautious thumbs up. Not injured AND playing to his potential, he could be very good for us.

JJ Watt @JJWatt · 1 hour ago
haha

bos_u_wilfork1_300.jpg

To get you fired up for the 2015 season.

https://youtu.be/yjuUpMNAWgU

J.J. Watt won't have to do all of the heavy lifting now. Vince Wilfork will be a dominating force to try and stop in the middle. It's going to be a long day for opposing offenses. Now please, get yourself healthy Brian Cushing and Jadeveon Clowney. I want the next two seasons, in particular, to be very enjoyable.

For about 20 plays a game, he should do fine.

I know he's older, but he played in 3/4ths of defensive plays last season. There was no significant injury last season. So why the sudden urge to treat him as a part time player?

Keep him fresh - sure. But when the situation is significant, I want him in there.

But I just keep thinking of beef on the line in the red zone when going to a 4-3 with Wilfork and Nix occupying blockers giving Watt room to work.

Back