Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

UPCOMING TEXANS FREE AGENTS

I've just been rolling through DTs a little bit and I've got to say Leonard Taylor could be the guy.

Going through his tape takes a bit of projection as he took a lot of snaps head up over the C as a true NT - Which he won't do here. That said anytime he was played at 3 tech, which is what he'd be doing here, he was an absolute monster. Looks like a one gap monster whenever he was given those types of opportunities and I could easily see him being the type of guy where we could trade down and still land.

Kind of reminds me of looking through Will Anderson tape last year where he's doing a lot of stuff that isn't relevant as he wouldn't be lined up or asked to do those things in Houston but then the times where he is in a position that the Texans would use him in he looks amazing.

Do not want

He doesn't seem like a max effort, playing with his hair on fire type of guy Ryans wants on his defense. Now if he was there in the 4th I would pick him. I'm using top picks on more proven players.

Reactions: JB
Theres no doubt in anyones mind that Greenard is talented and a difference maker....thing with him will be how much will it cost to keep him now that Demeco has made him shine AND can Greenard STAY healthy....

Id love to keep Greenard seeing as how we drafted him and finally have a coaching staff that can coach up talent but again at what cost for 1 year of good production...do we get a hometown discount...doesnt sound like it.

So what can we get that will produce as much or more for the amount he's seemingly demanding? AND/OR what else could we shore up with that money if he decides to chase a payday?? Do we try to find it in FA? the draft?? Lots of variables that are gonna effect this one.

In the long run and for the best for the team I hope that Nick can work his magic and get Greenard to agree to fair contract for both the player and team and not have to worry about trying to fill his spot with someone else.
He doesn't have to give a hometown discount. Why should he? If the going rate for his production is 15-20m then you work off that for 4 years. It doesn't have to be 6 or 7 years. Plus Texans are a cash over cap organization. That means they can pay signing bonuses. His guarantees are in 1st year. Then look at his dead money. The Texans can structure Greenard contract similar and still have alot of money to upgrade the roster and not worry about cap problems. What they can't do is act like they're right there and they can let your best defender as a edge walk out the building for nothing.

Taliesin Fagan (Oregon), JC Latham (Alabama) and Amarius Mims (Georgia) are all RTs who are projected 1st round prospects.
It's quite possible all three could be off the board at 1.23

I would be shocked if they go OT in the first round. How do you pay all these guys? Nope, not happening. If Howard is a major issue, they will go the vet route imho.
The cap number for 1.23 will be between $2.5 -$2.75 million in 2024. Not going to find a starting RT for that number. But I agree I would rather see CJ protected by a vet.
Doc notwithstanding, until I hear from the team that Howard will be out the whole season...
I don't think you'll hear Nick, DeMeco, or even Hannah come out and say "Tytus is hurt! We need to draft a RT!"
I may be by myself on this thought, but I wouldn’t rule out Caserio dealing the 23rd pick for a package of RD2 and RD3 picks.
Might be the right play for the Texans in this draft. It just hasn't been Nick's MO as a GM, thus far.

It's quite possible all three could be off the board at 1.23

The cap number for 1.23 will be between $2.5 -$2.75 million in 2024. Not going to find a starting RT for that number. But I agree I would rather see CJ protected by a vet.

I don't think you'll hear Nick, DeMeco, or even Hannah come out and say "Tytus is hurt! We need to draft a RT!"

Might be the right play for the Texans in this draft. It just hasn't been Nick's MO as a GM, thus far.
thats a wasted pick

3rd round DB is what I have. I think either DL, likely DT or WR will be the first 2 picks. But, with Meco wanting to fix the run game. Don't be shocked if we snag a RB as early as the 2nd. Baltimore and others showed just how vital a good run game can be. That is unless we sign Barkley as a FA. And I'm not opposed to that at all. He has had a down slide since his rookie year really. Put together a good deal of a "prove it" contract and sign him. With incentive that he will be resigned with a good deal IF he shows his rookie form.

And resign Howard and have him play his position which is T not G. And either he plays well as he improves at T. Or a young guy or FA take his spot.
Baltimore will always have a top run game because of LJ

Nick will stay in the first round imho for the 5th year option, although it wouldn’t be a surprise at all to see him maneuver up or down.
Just depends on who is there and what he is offered. Interestingly, Arizona's 35 and 66 is pretty close to 23s value. Az would probably want 1 2 3 also. I probably would not do that deal.

How many "quality" free agents (not counting our own) do you think we will sign? and how many of our FAs are we likely to re-sign? I ask this because the first thing the organization has surely done is to make a determination whether this off-season will be a year we collect compensatory picks or not. We have a lot of free agents that will qualify in the compensatory draft pool, so it's an important decision. For instance, if we don't sign Greenard, are we getting nothing in return or a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick? We could go get 5 impact free agents, re-sign 5 of ours, and still receive compensation if we lose 7-8 guys to free agency that are signed within those first few weeks.

How many "quality" free agents (not counting our own) do you think we will sign? and how many of our FAs are we likely to re-sign? I ask this because the first thing the organization has surely done is to make a determination whether this off-season will be a year we collect compensatory picks or not. We have a lot of free agents that will qualify in the compensatory draft pool, so it's an important decision. For instance, if we don't sign Greenard, are we getting nothing in return or a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick? We could go get 5 impact free agents, re-sign 5 of ours, and still receive compensation if we lose 7-8 guys to free agency that are signed within those first few weeks.

example:
re-sign: Rankins, Schultz, Barnett, Steve Nelson, GFant, Fairbairn, Punter who can't figure out how to kick the ball off a tee, Singletary, and Perryman.

sign 4 free agents of significance before the draft.

lose the following in free agency: Noah Brown, Greenard, Ridgeway, Josh Jones, E. Murray, Tart, Tavierre Thomas

Theoretically, we should receive 2-3 mid to late round compensatory picks.

Why?

OT is a strength of this draft class.

Agreed. Would not mind OT if they are BPA. Really think this draft falls toward adding core players for Stroud. Whether that’s playmakers at the skill positions or another OT.

Howard’s injury prognosis is not good. It would be unwise to act like you’re getting the player you paid for last offseason. If you do, then it’s a bonus and you’ve got quality depth on the OL this season.

Receiver class is deep. Would be nice to get a round 1 stud. But i’m sure they can strike gold somewhere. Maybe not another Tank Dell type strike. But someone who can make impact plays nonetheless.

BPA round 1. Lets get them!

That's hustling backwards. This type of thinking is exactly why JJ never had adequate help in his prime. Just like letting DJ Reader walk also. They can load up for the next 3 years to jump in that window before they have to pay CJ and Anderson.
You and everyone who agreed with you have the same thought process as a poverty franchise. Your logic of signing Brock Osweiler to that horrible contract after he showed promised the 1 season before was the right move by the Texans lol

Ever heard of Albert Haynesworth, Josh Norman, Demarco Murray? Is Greenard your cousin? You want to pay a player who’s only had 1 good season top 5 money and he’s not top 5 at his position? Yeah your thinking is backwards. Thank god we have a good Gm who cares about his reputation rather than making important desperate moves on unproven players.

example:
re-sign: Rankins, Schultz, Barnett, Steve Nelson, GFant, Fairbairn, Punter who can't figure out how to kick the ball off a tee, Singletary, and Perryman.

lose the following in free agency: Noah Brown, Greenard, Ridgeway, Josh Jones, E. Murray, Tart, Tavierre Thomas

You are correct in how this works, but Casserio has not shown the desire to play the compensatory pick game thus far. In fact, he has done quite the opposite, signing a bunch of free agents early in the process.

Is the roster in better shape than before with better quality Texan free agents than in the last three years? Yes, but does that mean worrying about late 6th-round picks (only Greenard higher from your example) for the 2025 draft over putting the best possible roster for 2024 is the route to go? We will see.

Agreed. Would not mind OT if they are BPA. Really think this draft falls toward adding core players for Stroud. Whether that’s playmakers at the skill positions or another OT.

Howard’s injury prognosis is not good. It would be unwise to act like you’re getting the player you paid for last offseason. If you do, then it’s a bonus and you’ve got quality depth on the OL this season.

Receiver class is deep. Would be nice to get a round 1 stud. But i’m sure they can strike gold somewhere. Maybe not another Tank Dell type strike. But someone who can make impact plays nonetheless.

BPA round 1. Lets get them!
Agreed

Just try to get a stud regardless of what side of the ball it's on.

You are correct in how this works, but Casserio has not shown the desire to play the compensatory pick game thus far. In fact, he has done quite the opposite, signing a bunch of free agents early in the process.

Is the roster in better shape than before with better quality Texan free agents than in the last three years? Yes, but does that mean worrying about late 6th-round picks (only Greenard higher from your example) for the 2025 draft over putting the best possible roster for 2024 is the route to go? We will see.

It is an interesting question to me this year, because it should be a free agent spending spree for us this off-season... However, due to all the short contracts expiring, and the fact that so many of those free agents played well, we have an inordinate amount of top 200 free agents... Therefore, we can still get some guys in free agency, re-sign key guys, and still also be awarded the maximum number of compensatory picks (4), depending on how/if we play that game.

example:

If you did this and let Perryman walk is there enough money to sign a major fa like Chris Jones and a LB like Al Shaair?

Good to see you back Dale

Last edited:
Do not want

He doesn't seem like a max effort, playing with his hair on fire type of guy Ryans wants on his defense. Now if he was there in the 4th I would pick him. I'm using top picks on more proven players.
that is my opinion also. I watched him early in the season but he quickly moved off of my board. I don't want him in the fourth round either. If he gets with a good coach and brings his motor up he may be a quality NFL player.

Whenever Greenard was on the field prior to this year, he was productive. Nevermind he was a covid pick and was under OB and what he thought about rookies.
I notice Omenihu is putting up solid numbers on good teams as well, a pick I always think goes hand in hand with Greenard, they definitely gave up on him too soon.

You and everyone who agreed with you have the same thought process as a poverty franchise. Your logic of signing Brock Osweiler to that horrible contract after he showed promised the 1 season before was the right move by the Texans lol

Ever heard of Albert Haynesworth, Josh Norman, Demarco Murray? Is Greenard your cousin? You want to pay a player who’s only had 1 good season top 5 money and he’s not top 5 at his position? Yeah your thinking is backwards. Thank god we have a good Gm who cares about his reputation rather than making important desperate moves on unproven players.
Haynesworth was a known slacker. Talented, but a slacker. Greenard biggest issue has been availability not ability. He's been in the nfl 4 years and that's including the covid year of 2020. He had 8 sacks in his 2nd full year when the Texans couldn't stop a nosebleed. This season, 12.5 and he was good vs the run and has qb hits. Remember when Reader had his best year his contract year too? You want to pay draft picks that developed like Greenard and Nico.

Haynesworth was a known slacker. Talented, but a slacker. Greenard biggest issue has been availability not ability. He's been in the nfl 4 years and that's including the covid year of 2020. He had 8 sacks in his 2nd full year when the Texans couldn't stop a nosebleed. This season, 12.5 and he was good vs the run and has qb hits. Remember when Reader had his best year his contract year too? You want to pay draft picks that developed like Greenard and Nico.
I mentioned I would sign him but not top 5 money. What awards will he win? None. Did he finish top 5 in dpoy? Nope. I get you want to put all your eggs in one basket and pray he has an even better season next one. I’m not mad at you but he’s only had 1 elite season out of 4. At the end of the day I have faith that our gm will retain Greenard without giving out the max. Hopefully we sign Josh Allen

If I could get Greenard for the 13.5 mil per yr over 4 years that Spotrac estimates I would consider bringing him back.

Otherwise I would spend the money on Jones, Wilkins, Justin and bring back Barnett, plus draft another edge.

Also Reader didn't have Greenard's injury history when he was with the Texans. Is Greenard the type of guy that can beat poor OT's when teams are focused on stopping WA? Or is he a guy that can beat the top OT's in the league? I like Greenard want a true difference maker that can get pass rush from inside and would spend fa money there. Then draft another edge fairly high. Put it another way, how much better is Greenard than Omenihu?

Last edited:
If I could get Greenard for the 13.5 mil per yr over 4 years that Spotrac estimates I would consider bringing him back.

Otherwise I would spend the money on Jones, Wilkins, Justin and bring back Barnett, plus draft another edge.

Also Reader didn't have Greenard's injury history when he was with the Texans. Is Greenard the type of guy that can beat poor OT's when teams are focused on stopping WA? Or is he a guy that can beat the top OT's in the league? I like Greenard want a true difference maker that can get pass rush from inside and would spend fa money there. Then draft another edge fairly high. Put it another way, how much better is Greenard than Omenihu?

This could be off base but I personally doubt you'll get Grenard for your 13.5/yr figure. I think it's closer to 18/yr personally.

I like all of the guys you mention, but perhaps you've heard the saying "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".

This is like the guy with the nice girl. She does everything he wants and needs and is pretty enough...but she has a blemish here or there, has varicose veins, and is only a mediocre cook. So, he decides to break up with her. She's pretty good, but he can do better. There's plenty of fish in the sea.

Then he throws his line in the water and only pulls out a few minnows. He now wishes he had his old GF back, but she's now married to another guy and it's too late now.

The upshot? Take notice and appreciate what you have, and quit gawking at the other girls. They have blemishes too...maybe more. You don't know what you've got till it's gone. We had Reader - he was on the upswing, but the Texans decided not to pay him. You tell me. Was that a mistake?

You better than this bro. Focused on Anderson? C'mon brother. Nevermind Greenard is going against the elite lt vs the weaker one. Now if you want to question his durability, thats fine and it's something to that, bit to act like a flame out like Barnett wouldn't set your defense back is naive. Even if the team paid Greenard top 10 money, they still can pay Jones or Wilkins. It's about the salary structure. Go look at Montez Sweat contract structure.

H
I mentioned I would sign him but not top 5 money. What awards will he win? None. Did he finish top 5 in dpoy? Nope. I get you want to put all your eggs in one basket and pray he has an even better season next one. I’m not mad at you but he’s only had 1 elite season out of 4. At the end of the day I have faith that our gm will retain Greenard without giving out the max. Hopefully we sign Josh Allen
How many has Allen had in 5? Look at Trey Hendrickson while you're at it and ask yourself why NO let him get loose via free agency. Same thing, same trajectory too. Then you bring up Josh Allen whom I like, but he's had 2 double digit sack season in 5. His rookie year and his contract year. What do you make of that?

This could be off base but I personally doubt you'll get Grenard for your 13.5/yr figure. I think it's closer to 18/yr personally.

I like all of the guys you mention, but perhaps you've heard the saying "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".

This is like the guy with the nice girl. She does everything he wants and needs and is pretty enough...but she has a blemish here or there, has varicose veins, and is only a mediocre cook. So, he decides to break up with her. She's pretty good, but he can do better. There's plenty of fish in the sea.

Then he throws his line in the water and only pulls out a few minnows. He now wishes he had his old GF back, but she's now married to another guy and it's too late now.

The upshot? Take notice and appreciate what you have, and quit gawking at the other girls. They have blemishes too...maybe more. You don't know what you've got till it's gone. We had Reader - he was on the upswing, but the Texans decided not to pay him. You tell me. Was that a mistake?
Getting gun shy because of a poor GM is no reason not to try to get upgrades and players that are better than what you've currently got on the roster. You line of thinking is what happened with the Kubiak/BOB yrs. We'll pay our own, no need to upgrade. Where did that get them? Hopefully Ryans learned from Shanny, dont like Jimmy G, try to upgrade with Lance. Dont like Mitchell? Go out and trade for McCaffery, dont like what Kinlaw is giving you? Go out and get Hargrave. Dont like the edge spot opposite Bosa get Farrell and dont like Farrell then make in season trade for Young/Gregory etc...

I hope Ryans/Caserio are aggressive like this instead of your bird in hand instead of 2 in the bush analogy. Why? Because that's what the best teams are doing, even teams like the Ravens added Clowney.

You better than this bro. Focused on Anderson? C'mon brother. Nevermind Greenard is going against the elite lt vs the weaker one. Now if you want to question his durability, thats fine and it's something to that, bit to act like a flame out like Barnett wouldn't set your defense back is naive. Even if the team paid Greenard top 10 money, they still can pay Jones or Wilkins. It's about the salary structure. Go look at Montez Sweat contract structure.
If they can afford to pay both and bring back Cashman, Schultz, Nelson etc.. and sign a Jones or Wilkins/Williams type guy I'm on board. We obviously view Greenard differently and Ryans probably agrees with you. Hope y'all are right.

Or.. go fishing before you send her packing. I'd rather cook by myself then get a mediocre one who has varicose veins. I get your analogy just do not want Greenard at those prices.

$18 m goes long way towards edge Josh Allen. Sometimes fans get too hooked up on our guys versus new guys.

H

How many has Allen had in 5? Look at Trey Hendrickson while you're at it and ask yourself why NO let him get loose via free agency. Same thing, same trajectory too. Then you bring up Josh Allen whom I like, but he's had 2 double digit sack season in 5. His rookie year and his contract year. What do you make of that?
You seem to be focused only on sacks with Josh Allen but his 2022 season was very good with seven sacks which he almost tripled in 2023. His PFF was 85 and he greatly impacted QB with pressures [hits second only to Bosa]. Steady, terrific improvement from a really good year to an incredible 2023. Yes, that's what we want to see.

Last edited:
Or.. go fishing before you send her packing. I'd rather cook by myself then get a mediocre one who has varicose veins. I get your analogy just do not want Greenard at those prices.

$18 m goes long way towards edge Josh Allen. Sometimes fans get too hooked up on our guys versus new guys.
I'm sure if his price tag was 18m, he would be signed already by his own team.

You seem to be focused only on sacks with Josh Allen but his 2022 season was very good with seven sacks which he almost tripled in 2023. His PFF was 85 and he greatly impacted QB with pressures [hits second only to Bosa]. Steady, terrific improvement from a really good year to an incredible 2023. Yes, that's what we want to see.
This year in a contract year, correct? Let me ask a question, just so you know, I like Allen. Do you need to use pff to see a de getting the qb on the ground? Here I will do you one better, what is Travis Kelce pass blocking and run blocking win rate?

If they can afford to pay both and bring back Cashman, Schultz, Nelson etc.. and sign a Jones or Wilkins/Williams type guy I'm on board. We obviously view Greenard differently and Ryans probably agrees with you. Hope y'all are right.
I wouldn't bring Schultz back. Just me, but I would target Sanders in the 2nd or 3rd and maybe sign Fant for 1 yr. Nelson and Cashman at of course the right price

Back