Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

UPCOMING TEXANS FREE AGENTS

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Here are the Texans top free agents..........Who do we keep?........Who do we punt?:

Jonathan Greenard, Sheldon Rankins, Dalton Schultz, Steven Nelson, Ka'imi Fairbairn, Cameron Johnston, Jon Weeks, Blake Cashman, George Fant, Devin Singletary, Tavierre Thomas, Denzel Perryman, Noah Brown, Eric Murray, Jerry Hughes, Derek Barnett, Michael Deiter

Moderation Edit to Attach list of Texans 2024 free agents

2024 Texans Free Agents

Last edited by a moderator:
The only names on that list that I’d consider extending are Carebear and maybe Cashman. Schultz is the wildcard.

The only names on that list that I’d consider extending are Carebear and maybe Cashman. Schultz is the wildcard.

I thought Cameron Johnston was a accurate punter who could place his punts very well for the special teams. Unless I'm wrong about that, I'd be keeping both kickers. Otherwise, punters shouldn't be too difficult to find.

I'm all for keeping Schultz as well.

I thought Cameron Johnston was a accurate punter who could place his punts very well for the special teams. Unless I'm wrong about that, I'd be keeping both kickers. Otherwise, punters shouldn't be too difficult to find.

I'm all for keeping Schultz as well.
How the hell did I miss his name on the list. Lets add Cam Johnston to my list!

Here are the Texans top free agents..........Who do we keep?........Who do we punt?:i

Jonathan Greenard, Sheldon Rankins, Dalton Schultz, Steven Nelson, Ka'imi Fairbairn, Cameron Johnston, Jon Weeks, Blake Cashman, George Fant, Devin Singletary, Tavierre Thomas, Denzel Perryman, Noah Brown, Eric Murray, Jerry Hughes, Derek Barnett, Michael Deiter
It's always about the price isn't it ?
For the right contract: Greenard, Schultz, Cashman, Barnett.

Tier 1. Guys I would prioritize. For the ST guys, if it aint broke don’t fix it. For the others, I don’t see that I can improve them without spending significant draft/FA capitol I would rather allocate elsewhere:

Greenard, Schultz, Fairbairn, Johnston, Weeks, and Cashman

Tier 2. Singletary, Fant and Barnett I would bring back on team friendly 1 year deals. They would have to know they are signed as quality depth and not starters. But in the case of Rankins and Nelson, I am actively looking for an upgrade and would prioritize them only if an upgrade isn’t available. Too expensive to keep as depth players but would love a difference maker in their place:

Rankins, Nelson, Singletary, Fant, and Barnett

Tier 3. Camp additions due to offseason injuries. Familiar with the program vet minimum only and roster spot is not guaranteed:

Thomas, Perryman, Brown, Hughes, Deiter, Murray

So yes, I would bring them all back in the right situation. But it is fluid at this point in the offseason.

Here are the Texans top free agents..........Who do we keep?........Who do we punt?:

Schultz and the 3 St’ers. Maybe Cashman if he is not asking for the bank.

Keep both kickers particularly Fairbarn, he has been clutch for years now.

I'm resigning Rankins and Cashmere because I think we are going to draft someone to be on the other end of Anderson. Greenard I'd let walk.

Offense side I'd resign Shultz and Brown, they showed up alot when we needed them and punched above their weight class. I wouldn't break the bank but a decent contract where they can make a little money while staying as depht and vets for the team i would be good with.

The rest I either let walk or team friendly deals only and yes that includes Singletary because I think we can upgrade RB in FA.

• Sheldon Rankins has now played out his one-year Texans contract, though the team has exclusive negotiating rights with the veteran defensive tackle until the legal tampering period begins in March. Rankins, however, said (via KPRC2’s Aaron Wilson) he would prefer to re-sign with the Texans rather than leaving in free agency. Working as a full-time starter, Rankins played well in Houston. The former Saints and Jets D-tackle registered six sacks and returned a fumble for a touchdown this season. The Texans have part of their DT equation solved, having given Maliek Collins another contract (two years, $23MM) last summer.

Thanks..give me King over Thomas. Of course I said the same thing last summer, and they cut King. I would attempt to sign him.

FA is really a muddy picture to me. We don’t know who they might target that are on other teams, we don’t know who they want to bring in from the draft. Then there is the salary cap. Can they rework a deal to accommodate a guy, etc. just too many unknowns.

In a vacuum, I’d bring the bulk of our FA’s back. But that doesn’t take into account contract size, what other teams are offering, the players desire to stay, etc.

It’s probably easier to idienty who I think are lower priority guys. I think Hughes is most likely to retire, but if he doesn’t, I’d let him walk,and would even attemp to sign him. Age related. Good guy…but it’s the end my man.

these guys, I’d make the phone call, but only signing them at a team friendly deal..or at least something that works nicely under the cap….Deiter, Noah Brown, Eric Murray, Devin Singletary, Denzel Perryman, Thomas, Fant, and Nelson.

anyone not named above, I’m making every effort to keep them as a Texan. Might not work out. There will be other teams bidding, but I’d make every reasonable effort to bring this group of guys back.

Out of those I would def keep: Fairbairn, Johnston, and weeks.
Id try to keep Singletary, Schultz, Rankins on team friendly contracts but look for upgrades

The rest I dont see as necessary pieces unless Demeco thinks he can improve Greenard's game.

Out of those I would def keep: Fairbairn, Johnston, and weeks.
Id try to keep Singletary, Schultz, Rankins on team friendly contracts but look for upgrades

The rest I dont see as necessary pieces unless Demeco thinks he can improve Greenard's game.
Greenard got 9.5 sacks right? Or did he get another one yesterday?
With a healthy WA on the opposite side, I can't see why he shouldn't do that again next season.

Greenard got 9.5 sacks right? Or did he get another one yesterday?
With a healthy WA on the opposite side, I can't see why he shouldn't do that again next season.

Greenard had a career year in 2023. He led the team in sacks (12.5), tackles for loss (15), and quarterback hits (22) – a mark he shared with Anderson. Each of those was a career-high for the four-year veteran. He’s also a very strong run defender and will enter next year in his age-27 season.

What would they pay on the market to replace that production?
My comment is not meant to be a reason to not resign him. To resign Greenard my guess would be between $18M to $20M average value per year. Whether it's him or a FA, you never know what the production will be the next year so I guess it comes down to what the team is willing to pay for that position. My preference would be to resign him.

Steven Nelson seems like a good second CB across from Stingley, depending on if the cap figure is manageable, it becomes a huge need at CB2 if not and that isn’t an easy position to plug and play as we’ve seen all too often.

Id be more comfortable with bringing it back as much as possible with many of these FA’s, give ourselves an opportunity to go BPA in the draft and continue to build.

My comment is not meant to be a reason to not resign him. To resign Greenard my guess would be between $18M to $20M average value per year. Whether it's him or a FA, you never know what the production will be the next year so I guess it comes down to what the team is willing to pay for that position. My preference would be to resign him.

I have gone back and forth on Greenard. Part of me wants to make a real push for Chris Jones with the money you’d need to allocate to Greenard. No guarantee you get Jones. Probably easier to re-sign Greenard before he hits FA. But if they don’t i’m confident the DeMeco defense will find production in that DE opposite WA role.

Hindsight obviously you’d use the Tytus Howard money on Greenard but can’t predict injuries or future performance.

Greenard, Nelson, Johnston.

At this point, they know I love Houston, they know I definitely want to come back but as we know that’s not up to me. At this point, I can’t do much more. I feel like I’ve put my portfolio out there and closed that chapter and the rest will take care of itself.

That is from the article and what Greenard had to say.

Sounds pretty straight forward and what we should expect.

Rankings - vet coming off his best year
Fairbairn - a top 7 kicker
Blake - a breakout player this season
Singletary - out performed with a bad line
Nelson - vet who had a quietly good ssn

Players I would sign at 5 mill and less, solid backup options: Dalton, perryman, schultz, Noah

I would offer Greenard 12 mill at max, 3 year 36 mill. Take it or leave it. Everyone else can go. I’ve heard all year this Texans team were rookies and that wasn’t the case. We’ve had some vets with playoff experience and that combination with our good rookies led us to the playoffs. I’m glad we got playoff experience for our young guns. I have faith Demeco and Caserio will work together to grab the best players so we can make a run. I expect our defense to be top 10 next season with a top 5 offense. The futures looking bright

To be honest I'd let him walk, yeah he had a career year, on his contract year no less, but what about the other 3 years where he was barely average. Most draft predictions have several edges falling to us and even then there are some top tier edges coming up for FA.

Brian Burns in particular seems to want out of Carolina and with another new GM, HC and now the widely acknowledged worst owner in the NFL I can't blame him. Only sticking point his rumored price point of 30 million.

Ka'imi Fairbairn, Cameron Johnston, Jon Weeks these 3 needs to happen now. Of course their more names in resign list but, first thing first, sign key ST boys.

To be honest I'd let him walk, yeah he had a career year, on his contract year no less, but what about the other 3 years where he was barely average. Most draft predictions have several edges falling to us and even then there are some top tier edges coming up for FA.

Brian Burns in particular seems to want out of Carolina and with another new GM, HC and now the widely acknowledged worst owner in the NFL I can't blame him. Only sticking point his rumored price point of 30 million.
I think the talent is there but it's the injuries that are of concern with Greenard. If the team is not afraid of losing him then give him the transition tag which has a lower value than the franchise tag but if he signs with another team and the Texans don't match there are no assets (picks) gained.

I think the talent is there but it's the injuries that are of concern with Greenard. If the team is not afraid of losing him then give him the transition tag which has a lower value than the franchise tag but if he signs with another team and the Texans don't match there are no assets (picks) gained.

Oh Hell no, so in that scenario I either have to scramble to find his replacement with other FA/teams knowing I'm desperate because he's walking and I have no replacement or I have to pay him but because I didn't know where he would land I either haven't planned for him or I have to create two plans one with him and one without him. Better to either franchise tag him, not like we have a lot of other people we need it for, or let him walk as soon as I have his replacement.

Back