Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Tomlin & Steelers coming to Houston week four press conference

This game will hinge on 1 thing: How the o-line deals with lil’ bro Watt. If they can kinda keep him in check, I have confidence we can put something’s together on offense & its game on.

Pickett and their offense doesn’t scare me.

Minkah Fitzpatrick also scares me..dude is a ball hawk and I expect Stroud to throw his 1st pick this week.
Highsmith should scare you too.

The thought of TJ Watt against Deculus makes me pee my pants for CJ :(

Yep, this is why they will have to use a bunch of 2 TE sets and give Deculus all of the help he can get.

Honestly I expect Stroud to be sacked 5-6 times. But as long as he doesn't turn the ball over then they should be OK and playing for a win in the 4th qtr.

Highsmith should scare you too.
Yep, this is why they will have to use a bunch of 2 TE sets and give Deculus all of the help he can get.

Honestly I expect Stroud to be sacked 5-6 times. But as long as he doesn't turn the ball over then they should be OK and playing for a win in the 4th qtr.
Christian isn't good, but hopefully he has a good game. Last yr he had a couple of good games, so maybe they will get lucky.
Christian isn't very good in run blocking, but he's good at pass blocking.

Last year with Miami he only had 12 snaps. So go back to 2021 when he played with Texans:
3 games Pass Blocking grade 80.0+
5 games Pass Blocking grade 70.0+
1 sack for the year ( against 49ers)
1 hit for the year (against 49ers)

The 49er game was his worst grade, 58.6. Interestingly, this game also was his best run blocking game, 77.1.

If the goal is to keep CJ protected, Christian is the player you should want at LT, for this one game.

Last year with Miami he only had 12 snaps. So go back to 2021 when he played with Texans:

The 49er game was his worst grade, 58.6. Interestingly, this game also was his best run blocking game, 77.1.

If the goal is to keep CJ protected, Christian is the player you should want at LT, for this one game.
Hard to believe a LT with this pass blocking grade would still be a FA at this point of the season. Maybe these PFF grades aren't all that?

I'm more interested in keeping Stroud in one piece than I am about the running game. And I'm also more interested in keeping Stroud healthy than I am about beating the Steelers.
The running game, if they can get it going, would be the best thing for Stroud. Slowick has to come up with plays to slow down the pass rush. Running at Watt and quick 3 step drops may do it.

Last edited:
I never like those raw non context stats like yards and points per game.

Just think about all the dumb yards we put up in garbage time against them.

Makes their numbers look worse when really they absolutely throttled us.
The problem is some of you guys don’t know what garbage time is and that’s expected because the Texans rarely made comebacks in the past recent years. For instance, a lot of you would consider half the yards cj accumulated in the 4th qtr vs the colts garbage time which isn’t true. I’m not pointing you out specifically because I’ve seen multiple fans from other teams make this claim. You look at the scoreboard and the time and you’re telling me a comeback is impossible, seriously? Down by 12 with close to 10 mins left, texans should give up right?

0FA58E58-0C0B-44D3-8F1F-F8735F970CEB.png

I’ve seen Brady down by 19 with lesser time make a come back and win the game. It’s disappointing some of you have a loser mind set but hey whatever floats your boat. You play to win no matter how bad your losing. Texans had a chance to comeback against the colts. It wasn’t garbage time

754DB9B5-F3C7-4038-BE26-9183E4E6306C.png

Oof...I was looking at the roster and I just don't see any way Deculus doesn't start. They just signed Christian and I can't imagine they'll start him after only a couple of days with the team. So we're probably looking at a line of:

Fant - Green - Patterson - Mason - Deculus

Fant, Patterson, and Mason have looked decent to good. Green looked adequate last week. Deculus has looked just awful every time I've seen him. If they hold up this week, the OL coach deserves a bonus.

I prefer Geron over Fant.

this game will reveal a lot. Are Texans the dark horse in the afc? I was worried about this 1 before week 3 and still am to an extent. After watching our last game, I’m feeling a bit more confident. My biggest concern here like many others is Mr. Tj Watt. Lt or Rt, whoever matches up with him will have a tough task. I’m hoping we can neutralize this guy but that’s easier said than done. I would hate to see Cj get folded like a pretzel the same as garoppolo this past week. Steelers are well coached but there’s a new sheriff in town name Cj Stroud and trials are going to be quick and justice even quicker

giphy.gif
I worry about the rushing TANDEM of Watt AND Highsmith.

200w.gif

On 610, Payne and Pendergast this morning they told a story of how Will Anderson Jr. asked to attend a dinner that Mike Tomlin was offering players to get and know them better, having no shot at Will he still accepted, sat next to him and asked football questions all night. That really impressed Tomlin and made a huge impression.

Just a hunch, but I expect Will to come off the edge on fire this game and be in Picketts pocket all night. Texans, first though need to stop the run and force third and longs so Anderson can eat. Let’s just do the math. Pickett ran a 4.73 forty, Will Anderson ran a 4.60. TJ Watt ran 4.69 and CJ was timed 4.48. I’m not going to deny Highsmith, he’s a real problem too but basically similar to Watt 4.70. So to all those critics who said CJ didn’t run or mobile enough to throw on the run it’s going to be on display, this coming Sunday @ NRG. :fieldgoal

On 610, Payne and Pendergast this morning they told a story of how Will Anderson Jr. asked to attend a dinner that Mike Tomlin was offering players to get and know them better, having no shot at Will he still accepted, sat next to him and asked football questions all night. That really impressed Tomlin and made a huge impression.

Just a hunch, but I expect Will to come off the edge on fire this game and be in Picketts pocket all night. Texans, first though need to stop the run and force third and longs so Anderson can eat. Let’s just do the math. Pickett ran a 4.73 forty, Will Anderson ran a 4.60. TJ Watt ran 4.69 and CJ was timed 4.48. I’m not going to deny Highsmith, he’s a real problem too but basically similar to Watt 4.70. So to all those critics who said CJ didn’t run or mobile enough to throw on the run it’s going to be on display, this coming Sunday @ NRG. :fieldgoal
Tomlin was a coach I wanted for the Texans if the Steelers had let him go. With that said, I hope Will and CJ beat them this Sunday.

Some random stats...

Texans are +2 in turnovers after 3 games. That's good for a young team with a new staff.

Nico Collins (11th) and Tank Dell (12th) give the Texans two receivers in the top 20 in receiving yards. The Texans have not had 2 receivers finish in the top 20 in receiving yards...ever. Texans are also 5th in yards after catch.

The Steelers average 4.8 yards/play on offense, but give up 5.4 yards/play on defense. They have 20 fewer 1st downs than allowed (41-61). They have been beaten in total yards in all 3 games. But...the Steelers are +4 in turnovers. Hold on to the ball, Texans.
Points for and against are far more important than yards IMHO.

True but yardage is how those points for and against are usually achieved.
I get what you're saying, but the Ravens had more yards than the Colts but still lost in points for and against. If you give up lots of yards but hold teams to kicking FGs, the yardage doesn't matter. If you're forcing turnovers and shortening the field for an offense that scores TDs, they will have less yardage but more points. I pay way more attention to turnover ratios, red-zone efficiency, and points scored/allowed than yardage.

I don’t wanna see CJ run. I wanna see him hold the blitz and pass rush at bay by getting rid of the ball quickly.

late in the jags game when the jags got desperate, they started blitzing a lil bit more and it opened up a few run lanes for Pierce & Singletary. I think we need to see a little bit more of Singletary tho. He as opposed to Pierce has a little bit more ability & overall wiggle to be able to bend a run play back to an alternative open lane that can be key in keeping us ahead of the chains. We could then use Pierce to bludgeon on the goal line to get us those tough yards.

I get what you're saying, but the Ravens had more yards than the Colts but still lost in points for and against.
That's a sample size of one game. If the Ravens outgain their opponents over a season, they are likely a winning team.

If you're forcing turnovers
There's randomness to turnovers. Many turnovers occur due to a defense being able to play only the pass. Because they are ahead. Because they have outgained their opponent.

There's a lot of correlation between stats. But possessing the ball, and forcing your opponent to give up possession, is the key element of football data.

Right. Tomlin told that story in the press conference you posted in the opening post of this thread.

Points can be random. That FB KO return was sweet, but it doesn't say a lot about a team. Yardage is a more stable metric.

Not really. I remember a game against Pittsburgh where they had over 400 yards while the Texans couldn’t get 50, and the Texans won by 3 TDs. Not saying points is the better indicator, just that those stats alone don’t tell you much.

I liked DVOA when rating offenses and defenses. It took a lot more into account, though it had flaws, that I thought was a much better indicator than saying you have the #1 defense because you give up the fewest yards. Unfortunately Football Outsiders who did DVOA doesn’t exist any more. Even the Aikman Efficiency Rating was a better tool but he stopped doing that.

Yards per play, red zone efficiency, maybe even points per drive, etc all have to be considered for a truer analysis when rating these units that we now have to do on our own and in our heads. Unless there’s something out there I’m missing or haven’t found yet.

The Jags outgained the Texans in yards last week also.
And now you have a sample size of 2 games. Versus the 48 games played thus far in the NFL. Teams that have collectively outgained their opposition over the course of this season have a 27-17 record. It doesn't correlate to wins perfectly. But neither does points. The Steelers, Bucs, and Commanders have been outscored this season, but have a combined 6-3 record.

Not really. I remember a game against Pittsburgh where they had over 400 yards while the Texans couldn’t get 50, and the Texans won by 3 TDs. Not saying points is the better indicator, just that those stats alone don’t tell you much.
Nothing correlates 100%. There is always randomness, just as maybe the most random game in the history of the league that you gave as an example. That is exactly my original point. Points alone are more random that yardage in predicting wins.

Nothing correlates 100%. There is always randomness, just as maybe the most random game in the history of the league that you gave as an example. That is exactly my original point. Points alone are more random that yardage in predicting wins.

Yes, that was an extreme example of course, but there’s plenty of teams who outgain their opponent and lose. The Vikings have the 3rd most yards and they are 0-3. They are 15th in scoring.

Back