Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Tomlin & Steelers coming to Houston week four press conference

Enough talk about first win of the season, this is even tougher task against a coach/team the Texans have beaten only once in 2011. Let’s focus, have a much better game plan and performance @ home than against the Colts week 2. Progress!

https://www.youtube.com/live/x5eZdF3e0a8?si=QEVHx-fe-Ozwo-Wm
If the ol holds up against Watt/Highsmith I expect the Texans to win

The defense should play well. Great to have Petrie back.

NFL Power Rankings for week four are out, Pittsburgh is 16 and Houston is 23. And Houston moved up 8 spots to be at 23.

I have no idea what to expect, this teams still mystifies me doing things I just didn't expect of them, and not doing the things I did expect. At least this team is a hell of a lot more fun to watch than last year's team.

NFL Power Rankings for week four are out, Pittsburgh is 16 and Houston is 23. And Houston moved up 8 spots to be at 23.

I have no idea what to expect, this teams still mystifies me doing things I just didn't expect of them, and not doing the things I did expect. At least this team is a hell of a lot more fun to watch than last year's team.
Expect to slide back 12 spots next week.

this game will reveal a lot. Are Texans the dark horse in the afc? I was worried about this 1 before week 3 and still am to an extent. After watching our last game, I’m feeling a bit more confident. My biggest concern here like many others is Mr. Tj Watt. Lt or Rt, whoever matches up with him will have a tough task. I’m hoping we can neutralize this guy but that’s easier said than done. I would hate to see Cj get folded like a pretzel the same as garoppolo this past week. Steelers are well coached but there’s a new sheriff in town name Cj Stroud and trials are going to be quick and justice even quicker

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Enough talk about first win of the season, this is even tougher task against a coach/team the Texans have beaten only once in 2011. Let’s focus, have a much better game plan and performance @ home than against the Colts week 2. Progress!

https://www.youtube.com/live/x5eZdF3e0a8?si=QEVHx-fe-Ozwo-Wm
Two things from Tomlins's press conference.

1. It is a hell of a note when an upcoming rival does a better job of breaking down the Texans play than most of Houston's media.
2. Tomlin is guaranteed a high profile job in the media when he retires from football.

Three weeks into the season, the Texans offense is 5th in the league in passing yards, 28th in rushing yards, and is about middle of the pack in scoring. The defense is 17th in giving up passing yards, 18th in rushing yards, and in the upper half of the league in interceptions and fumble recoveries.

In other words, we've risen from bottom feeders to middle of the pack. So far. It's progress no matter how you look at it.

I was worried about this 1 before week 3 and still am to an extent.
I'm definitely not worried. I don't expect the Texans to win. We're 4 weeks into a new offense with a rookie OC, rookie QB, rookie Center... OL decimated by injury... we're not supposed to win. We may not score a TD. I'd be ecstatic if we regularly cross the 50 yard line.

Anything can happen. We might win. But I'm not worried about it.

I'm definitely not worried. I don't expect the Texans to win. We're 4 weeks into a new offense with a rookie OC, rookie QB, rookie Center... OL decimated by injury... we're not supposed to win. We may not score a TD. I'd be ecstatic if we regularly cross the 50 yard line.

Yep, never counted on a win here before the season stared. But the win last week engenders hope in the breast. I just hope the board doesn't melt down if they don't pull out a win. I'm just hoping they can manage to stay competitive.

Nothing has changed my mind about my prediction of 5-7 wins this season. The team is moving in the right direction right now, for a change. And it's good to see.

Some random stats...

Texans are +2 in turnovers after 3 games. That's good for a young team with a new staff.

Nico Collins (11th) and Tank Dell (12th) give the Texans two receivers in the top 20 in receiving yards. The Texans have not had 2 receivers finish in the top 20 in receiving yards...ever. Texans are also 5th in yards after catch.

The Steelers average 4.8 yards/play on offense, but give up 5.4 yards/play on defense. They have 20 fewer 1st downs than allowed (41-61). They have been beaten in total yards in all 3 games. But...the Steelers are +4 in turnovers. Hold on to the ball, Texans.

Last edited:
This is a tough one. The Steelers defensive line is going to eat us alive. Need to play the quick game and see if we can find anything from the run game.

On defense I think Pitre returning and playing alongside Ward will be huge. If we can get Perryman back I feel good about the defense. I predict a low scoring Steelers victory and some of the Stroud hype temporarily coming back to earth. But I am holding out hope, at this point Stroud and this offense to an extent has defied all preseason expectations.

This is a tough one. The Steelers defensive line is going to eat us alive. Need to play the quick game and see if we can find anything from the run game.

On defense I think Pitre returning and playing alongside Ward will be huge. If we can get Perryman back I feel good about the defense. I predict a low scoring Steelers victory and some of the Stroud hype temporarily coming back to earth. But I am holding out hope, at this point Stroud and this offense to an extent has defied all preseason expectations.

I think it's an obvious truth that things are looking up for the Texans, but they are still far from "being there" yet.

I think we’ll see a much better effort than the Colts game, but with the oline being as it is, I just can’t get to a win. It’s certainly possible, just not probable.

To get there, we need to keep Watt relatively in check. If he has a sack or two…ok. A strip sack for a score…kind of a killer. CJ will need to keep it clean…as he has been. If he does throw a pick, hopefully on the other side of the 50.

A couple of big plays again would also really help the cause. I think it’s competitive, and I want to pick the Texans, but I’ll go 20-17 Steelers in a struggle and close game.

If the Texans do manage to pull off the upset there will be a lot of people hopping onto the bandwagon!

I get where you’re coming from and I was thinking the same as 1st. I’m not too big into analytics but it’s some stats I can’t ignore. I’m glad our team got to experience a top defense already playing vs the Ravens week 1. After seeing the colts defeat the ravens and the jaguars earning the win against the colt, I can’t say we played weak defenses when looking at this graph. What’s the common theme with all of the teams ranked in the top 10? I’ll just say it, their playoff teams. A lot of football left to go but seeing how our schedule is easy and we’re having success with 10 starters out, I know we’re not the same Texans as last season so I wouldn’t be surprised if we made the playoffs. Coming off a blow out win against a solid defense and good offense, we could very well hit a winning streak. I’m still neutral because I have a lot of respect for the Steelers organization. Im feeling positive about this one but won’t be shocked if we lose

Nfl Teams 3rd down conversion %
(Steelers ranked 26th with 34%)
RankTeam2023Last 3Last 1HomeAway2022
1Buffalo51.22%51.22%60.00%53.85%50.00%50.23%
2Baltimore51.11%51.11%37.50%45.16%64.29%41.05%
3Dallas51.06%51.06%56.25%50.00%51.72%45.17%
4Houston48.08%48.08%60.00%47.37%48.48%30.32%
5Green Bay46.51%46.51%44.44%44.44%48.00%39.50%
5Philadelphia46.51%46.51%62.50%42.86%48.28%47.58%
7Miami46.43%46.43%55.56%55.56%42.11%35.38%
8Kansas City46.34%46.34%71.43%53.57%30.77%48.90%
9Tampa Bay45.24%45.24%50.00%

Nfl Teams 3rd down conversion %
(Steelers ranked 26th with 34%)
1Buffalo51.22%51.22%60.00%53.85%50.00%50.23%
2Baltimore51.11%51.11%37.50%45.16%64.29%41.05%
3Dallas51.06%51.06%56.25%50.00%51.72%45.17%
4Houston48.08%48.08%60.00%47.37%48.48%30.32%
5Green Bay46.51%46.51%44.44%44.44%48.00%39.50%
5Philadelphia46.51%46.51%62.50%42.86%48.28%47.58%
7Miami46.43%46.43%55.56%55.56%42.11%35.38%
8Kansas City46.34%46.34%71.43%53.57%30.77%48.90%
9Tampa Bay45.24%45.24%50.00%
Where did this table come from?

On the flipside, Texans giving up 3rd down conversions at 47.5%.

NFL Team Opponent Third Down Conversion Percentage

32Chicago60.00%60.00%71.43%56.25%62.07%49.02%
31Seattle57.45%57.45%52.63%58.33%54.55%42.86%
30Tampa Bay51.16%51.16%62.50%55.17%42.86%37.75%
29Arizona50.00%50.00%56.25%57.14%33.33%42.86%
28NY Giants48.72%48.72%56.25%46.15%50.00%37.55%
27Houston47.50%47.50%38.46%50.00%46.43%38.91%

Some more random numbers. These are from PFF:

Steelers: Pass Offense, 30th (51.7)
................Pass Blocking, 32nd (28.7)
................Run Offense, 25th (63.8)
................Run Blocking, 29th (51.0)
Texans: Pass Coverage, 10th (78.3)
..............Pass Rush, 31st (56.9)
..............Run Defense, 32nd (32.3)
Texans: Pass Offense, 18th (66.8)
..............Pass Blocking, 20th (59.7)
..............Run Offense, 26th (63.4)
..............Run Blocking, 12th (63.2)
Steelers: Pass Coverage, 13th (74.2)
...............Pass Rush, 4th (81.4)
...............Run Defense, 17th (63.0)

One humongous outlier I don't understand is the Texans Run Blocking grade. Weird.

If the Texans can slow the Steelers pass rush, it should be a pretty even match up.

Going out on the limb, I'm predicting an upset Texans win.

So with reports that Josh Jones will likely miss Sunday I don’t really have much hope for this game unless the defense just absolutely dominates them. Austin Deculus will be starting on this offensive line I’m not sure we can generate any offense with a line that looks like that.

NFL stats from the link above has them at 17th in rush defense yards allowed per game. PFF stats about worthless
PFF is a grade on the rush defense which is different from yards given up.

Have you seen how rushers have eaten up our defensive line? Do you really think our run defense is pretty good, middle of the pack?

Top 10 in what? They are 25th in yards per game and 19th in pts per game
I never like those raw non context stats like yards and points per game.

Just think about all the dumb yards we put up in garbage time against them.

Makes their numbers look worse when really they absolutely throttled us.

This game will hinge on 1 thing: How the o-line deals with lil’ bro Watt. If they can kinda keep him in check, I have confidence we can put something’s together on offense & its game on.

Pickett and their offense doesn’t scare me.

Minkah Fitzpatrick also scares me..dude is a ball hawk and I expect Stroud to throw his 1st pick this week.

PFF is a grade on the rush defense which is different from yards given up.

Have you seen how rushers have eaten up our defensive line? Do you really think our run defense is pretty good, middle of the pack?
No, but they're not bottom of the pack either

Nothing has changed my mind about my prediction of 5-7 wins this season. The team is moving in the right direction right now, for a change. And it's good to see.
Bobby Slowick was my biggest concern. So far he's done everything & beyond my expectations. Still gotta get the run game going, but the things he's doing to make that happen is on track as far as im concerned.

I'm a happy Texans now.

Now this might be a legitimate difference of opinion, but a difference of opinion doesn't make PFF "worthless".
Maybe a bad choice of words... with different people grading each game how do they reach a consensus? It's a subjective stat that is (to me) untrustworthy and therefore worthless. It doesn't compare apples to apples with the same eye on every team. It's like the color blue... lots of shades

this game will reveal a lot. Are Texans the dark horse in the afc? I was worried about this 1 before week 3 and still am to an extent. After watching our last game, I’m feeling a bit more confident. My biggest concern here like many others is Mr. Tj Watt. Lt or Rt, whoever matches up with him will have a tough task. I’m hoping we can neutralize this guy but that’s easier said than done. I would hate to see Cj get folded like a pretzel the same as garoppolo this past week. Steelers are well coached but there’s a new sheriff in town name Cj Stroud and trials are going to be quick and justice even quicker

giphy.gif
CJ looks different in cowboy hat..

This game will hinge on 1 thing: How the o-line deals with lil’ bro Watt. If they can kinda keep him in check, I have confidence we can put something’s together on offense & its game on.
Im sure the Steelers have lost games despite Watt having a good day. If our dsfense can frustrate Pickett all day, may not matter what Watt does.

Im sure the Steelers have lost games despite Watt having a good day. If our dsfense can frustrate Pickett all day, may not matter what Watt does.

For THIS Particular Steelers team, Watt has been the difference in both their wins. Strip sack and fumble recovery for a TD against the Browns and was the main guy in Jimmy G’s face all game last week that helped force him into at least 2 of his 3 picks.

& when you factor in our o-line issues..especially at the tackle positions…our lack of run game…this is a game tailor-made for Watt to continue what he’s already been doing…which is be a game wrecker.

frustrating Pickett will only matter if that frustratation manifests into TO’s…& we score off those.

The Steelers have the Ravens after us. We are sitting in prime “trap game” territory for them.

Back