Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Time to TRY to reboot against Jax!

dream_team

Hall of Fame
And that's not to mention how many bad passes in critical times Menshew was credited with. Men wide open.......with the ball sailing, digging into the ground or being thrown nowhere within a catchable radius. With even just decent Jags QB play, the score and very possibly the result would have been much different.
I was thinking this too. Receivers were open, Minshew just wasn't delivering.

Then I thought, isn't this what you want? Apply pressure and make Gardner Minshew beat you? Today, he could not. Most of the time, he will not.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
And that's not to mention how many bad passes in critical times Menshew was credited with. Men wide open.......with the ball sailing, digging into the ground or being thrown nowhere within a catchable radius. With even decent Jags QB play, the score and very possibly the result would have been much different.
Yeah, well guess what? Minshew is not a top tier QB so he’s going to sail balls and throw them into the ground. And guess what else? A top tier QB lost to the Raiders. So ifs, ands, and buts, who gives a ****?

They came out and beat a team they were supposed to beat where they didn’t get that done last week.

I don’t think anybody here is saying OB is gone, we’re going to the Super Bowl. We got a win, a convincing one at that, and that’s it. Still plenty of issues, but they played a good game. For a change.

So go ahead pick out all the plays where this throw should have been made and that guy got beat that one time if that floats your ******* boat, and ignore the fact they had 486 yards of offense and only gave up 75 rushing yards, and more importantly, only 14 points. I don’t give a flying **** if was only Jacksonville.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Yeah, well guess what? Minshew is not a top tier QB so he’s going to sail balls and throw them into the ground. And guess what else? A top tier QB lost to the Raiders. So ifs, ands, and buts, who gives a ****?

They came out and beat a team they were supposed to beat where they didn’t get that done last week.

I don’t think anybody here is saying OB is gone, we’re going to the Super Bowl. We got a win, a convincing one at that, and that’s it. Still plenty of issues, but they played a good game. For a change.

So go ahead pick out all the plays where this throw should have been made and that guy got beat that one time if that floats your ******* boat, and ignore the fact they had 486 yards of offense and only gave up 75 rushing yards, and more importantly, only 14 points. I don’t give a flying **** if was only Jacksonville.

Bro. Your coming at doc pretty hard and I can't just watch.

Rein it back. We all have our opinions.

PapaL

Loose Screw
No one is expecting RAC to come in here and win HCOTY and start a run into his 80s. At his age he probably didn’t want the job and is only doing the team a solid.
He’s going to give these coordinators and players an opportunity for next year. He may not know all the details about the game plans but he knows football, momentum, and has experience leading men. His bark may he bigger than his bite but he’s respected and probably retires this offseason regardless.

LikeMike

Veteran
The biggest difference I saw was in Watson - when he came in the league he was more of a gunslinger, throwing lots of high risk high reward passes. Sometimes struggling with accuracy but with lots of big plays. At some point last year or the year before that BoB changed that, because Watson was making too many mistakes. Watson went from averaging something close to 300yards per game to something closer to 200 yards - with way fewer interceptions and tds and throw attempts.

last night it looked more like the old Watson with all positives and negatives. It definitely is more exciting and I think with our poor running game gives us a better chance at winning. But I would like a middle ground with a whole lot more easy fast throws and scheming receivers open. Still I am glad we are already seeing a difference after the firing...

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
This team is better without OB at HC. What that leads to, I don’t know. But I feel like they have a better chance to win games now.
O'Brien's exit and the apparent reduction of the politics has sparked my interest in watching again. I can sense the players feel a spark from O'Brien's absence too.

To your point, I compare O'Brien to any manager who's so domineering that it stifles growth and productivity. A worker needs the freedom to own his role so he can be confident, creative, and learn from mistakes instead of be demoralized by them. When the boss makes him feel like he's on borrowed time, he's more concerned with keeping the boss happy than finding ways to maximize his abilities.

This is why rookies did not grow under O'Brien, and why only the veterans were confident and performed like pros. The veterans ran on pre-earned confidence while rookies were suffocated. A troubling manifestation of this was how O'Brien favored building through FA instead the draft. It was an overt concession that he needed players developed by other coaches instead of his own coaching. Watson was an exception because he has an innate confidence, but even his development was stunted.

Managers like O'Brien who are domineering are not aware of it. I had one, and one day I told him I was quitting. He made a deal with me that he would leave me alone for a couple of weeks if I gave the job another chance. I instantly grew and became a top performer. That manager learned from that experience, and I think O'Brien can learn from his firing. He has coaching ability, he just needs to get his personality out of the way.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Nice job Crennel in managing and motivating the troops. Nice job by Kelly and Weaver in taking care of business on their sides of the ball. Nice game but the players who appeared to be playing with a big burden taken off their shoulders.

The Texans took a big step today in the right direction for GM1 post OB. This was fun for the fans as well. Sure, there were more than a few plays that didn't go as planned but the beauty of this game....they didn't fold and let the momentum swing back to the Jags. The Texans corrected and kept the game on their track.

Look forward to another step up in the right direction next week as this group gets comfortable with the new direction the team is taking.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Early I thought we saw Watson continue to misfire, especially when throwing to Cooks. I'm still not happy with how we utilize DJ & DJ.

I was also expecting to get to the LOS earlier & running more pre-snap motion. This would help both the passing & running game.

First play of the game we gained 10 yards on the ground. I thought we ran well early, enough to move the chains, stay on schedule.

Wasn't game changing, or game control type of running. Jacksonville was loose & gave up easy yards.

Yes, the first TD drive (I believe) was all passes. I did like that, but other than Jacksonville being really bad I didn't see much different from what we were doing the first three games.

Like I said during the game, I didn't notice them playing looser. Please, show me where I'm wrong.

This game I'll probably make time to watch it again. Hopefully I missed a lot because I was looking for something else.
The first play of the Texans O was a 36 :corrosion: yd quick strike to Cooks down the right side line.
Did you wake up late or sumthing, TK?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't necessarily call the Jaguars a bad team.
There's a lot of parity in the AFC South as well as in the league in general.

Jags might be 1-4, but they beat the Colts (a team that beat the Vikings and the 4-1 Bears).
The Titans needed a late FG to win.
Miami beat the Niners (their losses were to the Seahawks, the Bills, and the Pats - with Cam Newton).

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
I'm sorry guys but if you didn't see a really big difference even 5 days later and even against a generally crappy opponent as if we're not crappy ourselves then you simply weren't watching this game or you weren't understanding what was wrong this whole time.

There was a big difference that even the love child of Helen Keller and Ray Charles could see.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm sorry guys but if you didn't see a really big difference even 5 days later and even against a generally crappy opponent as if we're not crappy ourselves then you simply weren't watching this game or you weren't understanding what was wrong this whole time.

There was a big difference that even the love child of Helen Keller and Ray Charles could see.
There's a difference between playing the Jags and the Chiefs/Ravens/Steelers etc... You are correct.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Yes, the first TD drive (I believe) was all passes. I did like that, but other than Jacksonville being really bad I didn't see much different from what we were doing the first three games.
And what exactly were you expecting to see? They had exactly 3 days of practice with OB not in the building. It’s not like they can run to Academy and not only get a whole new playbook, but then learn those plays in 3 days.

When a hurricane makes landfall, the devastation isn’t over when it leaves. The destruction is still there. The rebuilding takes time.

Yes, it was Jacksonville. The same Jacksonville that nearly beat them at home last year had they converted a 2 pointer. They roll up 486 yards of offense. 300 of that in the 2nd half, where lo and behold, it looks like actual halftime adjustments were made. What a radical concept.

They won one freaking game and actually looked good doing it. I don’t know what else they could have done in that game for some of y’all.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
And what exactly were you expecting to see?
One thing I’d have liked to have seen would have been Watson keeping the ball on the zone read when the read said for him to keep it and run to the outside for easy yards.

That would have added to the theory that BO’b was stopping Watson from using his legs to make plays.

I’m not closing the book on that theory, but if he doesn’t start taking those zone reads in the next few weeks I’ll put that theory to bed.

Texansballer74

The Marine
One thing I’d have liked to have seen would have been Watson keeping the ball on the zone read when the read said for him to keep it and run to the outside for easy yards.

That would have added to the theory that BO’b was stopping Watson from using his legs to make plays.

I’m not closing the book on that theory, but if he doesn’t start taking those zone reads in the next few weeks I’ll put that theory to bed.

After seeing wha happened to Dak do you really want your Quarterback running the ball like that? Especially knowing his injury history .

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
And what exactly were you expecting to see? They had exactly 3 days of practice with OB not in the building. It’s not like they can run to Academy and not only get a whole new playbook, but then learn those plays in 3 days.

When a hurricane makes landfall, the devastation isn’t over when it leaves. The destruction is still there. The rebuilding takes time.

Yes, it was Jacksonville. The same Jacksonville that nearly beat them at home last year had they converted a 2 pointer. They roll up 486 yards of offense. 300 of that in the 2nd half, where lo and behold, it looks like actual halftime adjustments were made. What a radical concept.

They won one freaking game and actually looked good doing it. I don’t know what else they could have done in that game for some of y’all.
They did what they should've done and probably would've won with BOB as HC. This win changes nothing.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
After seeing wha happened to Dak do you really want your Quarterback running the ball like that? Especially knowing his injury history .
I'm talking easy yards. When you go back & watch the game, on the touchdown drive, a couple of plays before the pass to Fells for the TD, there's a zone read look. The end crashes down & the only DB to the right is blocked well be the receiver. DW4 could have got a bunch of yards untouched & stepped out of bounds. Instead, he gives to Johnson for a 2 yard gain up the middle.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm talking easy yards. When you go back & watch the game, on the touchdown drive, a couple of plays before the pass to Fells for the TD, there's a zone read look. The end crashes down & the only DB to the right is blocked well be the receiver. DW4 could have got a bunch of yards untouched & stepped out of bounds. Instead, he gives to Johnson for a 2 yard gain up the middle.
DW4's going to have to do this if the offense is going to be successful.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
McCarron needs to be warming up.
Maybe I was a bit premature with this...

But I love these numbers.

Brandin Cooks 8 catches, 20.1 ypc
Will Fuller 4 catches, 14.5 ypc
Darren Fells 2 catches, 28.5 ypc
Randall Cobb 6 catches 7.8 ypc
Kenny Stills 1 catch 14 yards
Duke Johnson 1 catch 11 yards
David Johnson 2 catches 3.5 ypc
Pharaoh Brown 1 catch 4 ypc

Spreading the ball around (which we've been doing all year) & WRs stretching the field.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

Spreading the ball around (which we've been doing all year) & WRs stretching the field.
It comes down to the coaches left scheming to their talents strengths instead of someone saying do it my way I don’t care what you’re good at.

amazing80

Hall of Fame

Watson was 25/35 (71.4%) with 359 yards and 3 TD's. yes he had 2 INT's. something he needs to reign in some, but this is the standard and weekly expectation DW4 should have.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

The RPO play was not designed for the QB to keep the ball as the key to the attack.
Also, there are often times when the QB is supposed to go ahead and hand the ball to the runner no matter what.

I was never one to "complain" about this play.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
They did what they should've done and probably would've won with BOB as HC. This win changes nothing.
The key here is PROBABLY, simply because you know darn well that BOB is very capable of being out-coached. :fans: :corrosion:

Or pulling a failed stunt on 4th down, or whatever he dreamed of the night before the game.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
It was a good win but also not a shocker. At this point to me these games aren't so much about wins and losses but as tests to see what we actually have in Watson and even in Kelly as OC. OB is gone and whether that means the albatross or the scape goat is gone we will now see. I don't expect the offense to be entirely different but there are some things I do expect to see different that were blamed on OB such as WRs not getting open and TEs not being targeted. If those two things, and a few others, change then OB was the main issue and we can all breath easy. If, however, the Texans and Watson in particular are business as usual then we have a big problem.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Bro. Your coming at doc pretty hard and I can't just watch.

Rein it back. We all have our opinions.
I believe that before pointing fingers, others here need to look at their own posting patterns more critically, especially as relate to Watson. I have always reported what I see. Everyone else has done the same. The difference is that I have seen no reason to ever attack others' motives.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
DW4's going to have to do this if the offense is going to be successful.
The way this team is built now, yes. Especially if they are going to keep running that look.
I agree. I want to see Watson keep the ball more often in these cases. It looks like defenses know Watson will never keep. So what do you think the problem is? Watson making the wrong read? Watson hesitant on running? Coaches calling plays to always handoff, QB keeper not really an option?

I mean if we see it, the coaches and Watson obviously see it when they're reviewing film.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Are you floating are flying?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I believe that before pointing fingers, others here need to look at their own posting patterns more critically, especially as relate to Watson. I have always reported what I see. Everyone else has done the same. The difference is that I have seen no reason to ever attack others' motives.
Yes, I have motive, and I had stated it up front:
I try hard not to overtly criticize any player on game day, let alone harping on one player or two.
That goes against the grain of a game day experience.
You want to harp on a few players or call whatever you saw, I think you can better do it by yourself or with group of like-minded people.
It is a free country, but it's not good etiquette to dampen the moot of a party, no matter how RIGHT you are within your rights.
My sincere apology if you feel offended, Doc.
I call it as I see it, too.
You were not a good trooper, even after a few people had requested that you toned down the negativities.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I agree. I want to see Watson keep the ball more often in these cases. It looks like defenses know Watson will never keep. So what do you think the problem is? Watson making the wrong read? Watson hesitant on running? Coaches calling plays to always handoff, QB keeper not really an option?

I mean if we see it, the coaches and Watson obviously see it when they're reviewing film.
The problem with Watson is that he doesn't have TK as his coach to tell Watson what he should do as he (TK) wants on certain play(s).

:corrosion:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
It was a good win but also not a shocker. At this point to me these games aren't so much about wins and losses but as tests to see what we actually have in Watson and even in Kelly as OC. OB is gone and whether that means the albatross or the scape goat is gone we will now see. I don't expect the offense to be entirely different but there are some things I do expect to see different that were blamed on OB such as WRs not getting open and TEs not being targeted. If those two things, and a few others, change then OB was the main issue and we can all breath easy. If, however, the Texans and Watson in particular are business as usual then we have a big problem.

Most of us already knew that BoB was the main issue...how much of the issue is where many of us disagreed. Anyone who put the blame on him at anything less than 80 - 100% are/were looked at as "apologists".

As for me, I was as happy to see the team win as the next fan, but i wasn't impressed...... b/c of our opponent. I figured we would win this game b/c Jax is just that bad. Yes the improved morale from being rid of BoB helps and you did see a difference in the guys...for me mostly on the sidelines....DW4 seemed to be much more demonstrative and engaged with his teammates/coaches instead of how he usually was under BoB..sitting on the bench staring off into space.

but its almost like some in here act like BoB's firing has sent them completely back the other way..like his firing gave them permission to be homers again lol. The over-exuberance talking about how much better & "different" the team/offense looked...lol, slow your role. The numbers we put up on offense make it appear there was significant improvement on our side, but it wasn't really & the question you need to ask yourself is whether or not that performance could've carried us to a win against a team that was even a cintilla more competent than the Jags. I'm thinking maybe....but probably not. In that regard The only real significant difference in our victory yesterday is that we played a terrible team who is quite possibly the worst in the league right now......& I say that knowing full well there are still some teams that have yet to win a game.

So my thoughts are If they can build on this, cut down on the mistakes and unforced errors, improve on their execution which was still largely inconsistent & do it against a more competent team, then, we'll be on to something. Until then, this was just 1 of those wins that those 2-14, 6-10 terrible teams come up with every so often.