Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Tim Kelly Evaluation

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I would allow the HC to choose his own staff. I wouldn't force anyone on him.
I agree. I just think it opens up the possibility of getting a DC as HC, like Saleh from SF. If he isn't able to land the OC of his own, we would have a nice option already here. Not sure I love this, but I think it's possible if Watson and Kelly continue to improve and work well together.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I would allow the HC to choose his own staff. I wouldn't force anyone on him.
Just like McCarty kept that dude in Dallas our new coach may decide to stick with Kelly, especially if his first choice won’t be available.

I’m not advocating this, just saying.

note: I understand Kelly isn’t calling shots for the #1 offense in the league like that dude in Dallas.

Wolfiegrrl

Fan of NFC Seahawks & AFC Texans
One of the things that stood out for me was Kelly's use of David Johnson. Seemed Kelly knew all along that David was best suited for North/South up the gut runs and called those plays consistently. He was getting some great gains. Then when Watson started clicking with Cooks, those plays looked pretty. I guess half time adjustments were actually made. Weird.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Supposedly, Kelly was the play caller in last year's week 5 game against the Falcons. I know the Falcons' defense was terrible, but looking at that game, they used quick passes and more formations than any game in the first four weeks of 2020. Even Coutee had 72 yards receiving.

So, I would say more formations, motion, quicker passes, and dare I say, less shotgun?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
If Kelly and the Offense really start clicking and becoming efficient, would you consider keeping him as OC, thus opening up the HC search to more candidates?
I seriously doubt it.

We didn't see anything different Sunday from what we have seen for the rest of this season other than they had success and the measure of that success it questionable considering the opponent and their injuries / losses during the game.

The Texans should have put 50 on that defense.

I hate this scheme , its got to go right along with OB ....

This scheme compounds Watson's issues of hanging onto the ball longer than necessary , that's the square peg in the round hole.

I want a scheme designed specifically for Watson that emphasizes a run heavy scheme with lots of play action and getting the ball out of his hands before fit hits the shan , not after. As well as designed plays getting him out of the pocket naturally , not running for his life.

Watson's on pace for 54 sacks & 16 picks this season - that's unacceptable. That's what this scheme and Watson deliver with consistency.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This scheme compounds Watson's issues of hanging onto the ball longer than necessary , that's the square peg in the round hole.
I don't believe it's the scheme. It's the play calling. I can think of many games Watson had been complemented on getting the ball out quickly.

But it only comes in spurts, it's not something he's done for a complete game. At the same time, it's rare we aren't playing from behind.

I understand Watson has a tendency to hold on to the ball, I'm not denying that. But there will be spans in the game where he's sharp & getting the ball out quick.

When he gets in rhythm, this "scheme" looks good.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I don't believe it's the scheme. It's the play calling. I can think of many games Watson had been complemented on getting the ball out quickly.

But it only comes in spurts, it's not something he's done for a complete game. At the same time, it's rare we aren't playing from behind.

I understand Watson has a tendency to hold on to the ball, I'm not denying that. But there will be spans in the game where he's sharp & getting the ball out quick.

When he gets in rhythm, this "scheme" looks good.

Or .... its the execution of said play.

They are running the same plays ... its up to the trigger man to get it out quickly or not. Take the short throw , it comes out quickly or the deeper one , not so much.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
its up to the trigger man
Right.

Like I said, some times he's getting the ball out on time. He gets in a rhythm & everything is everything.

Then there are times when he doesn't. Whether he's looking deep or short or whatever.

The play caller, imo, needs to figure out what that's all about & call the game to get him in that zone. Play caller, coach, offensive coordinator, whatever you want to call him.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Or .... its the execution of said play.

They are running the same plays ... its up to the trigger man to get it out quickly or not. Take the short throw , it comes out quickly or the deeper one , not so much.
No, they don't have to run the exact same plays.

When they install the offensive system in TC, they had a set of several "series" of plays.
During the season, teams can and will adjust, modify, tweak them.
They can also add a number of gadget plays (see Hopkins pitch to Watson, for example).

Also, in the previous games, they may run options A B, C of play 1; but they can run option C,D,E of play 1 (and so on) in game 5.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Right.

Like I said, some times he's getting the ball out on time. He gets in a rhythm & everything is everything.

Then there are times when he doesn't. Whether he's looking deep or short or whatever.

The play caller, imo, needs to figure out what that's all about & call the game to get him in that zone. Play caller, coach, offensive coordinator, whatever you want to call him.
There are a couple of articles on the deep ball, one by PFF and the other by FO. They both rated Watson very highly in different scenarios, from under pressure to throwing into tight windows, etc.

Notice how Prescott made the top 5, under Watson.

But I had mentioned a few times before that Kellen Moore was able to get this out of Dak with a quick-strike attack.
That's something the Texans could choose to do with Watson , not exactly the same thing, but the general same idea.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Kelly’s best bet is to call plays that revolve around Deshaun. Even if he’s a bad OC the offense should be productive enough that he gets another job. The previous play caller seemed to struggle with that.
Yes, I'm thinking Watson can help bolster Kelly's resume; how much remains to be seen.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
This is the perfect job interview for Kelly, getting to see how he thinks even if in the confines of a Bill O’Brien pattern.
It sure looks to me that he's doing a pretty good job in the last two games.
More passing on first downs, for example, especially if we discount the runs late in the Jags game when they want to chew a bit of the clock.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Don't see how he does that with the pieces he has.
He's got to stop forcing it up the middle imo. When they test the edges, we get good gains, but they focus on the middle too much.

Adding a few draws from time to time to may help. Screens, we talked about those as well. Duke's a play maker, we need to be making an effort to get the ball in his hands in space.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
He's got to stop forcing it up the middle imo. When they test the edges, we get good gains, but they focus on the middle too much.

Adding a few draws from time to time to may help. Screens, we talked about those as well. Duke's a play maker, we need to be making an effort to get the ball in his hands in space.

Speaking of the RB screen .... When's the last time we saw this team successfully execute one ? I can't think of one in recent memory. It's like they tore that page out of the playbook and burned it. Sad because its one of the best pressure beaters in the playbook.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Speaking of the RB screen .... When's the last time we saw this team successfully execute one ? I can't think of one in recent memory. It's like they tore that page out of the playbook and burned it. Sad because its one of the best pressure beaters in the playbook.
Define "successful". In the KC game week 1, the 2nd series, I remember the Texans ran a RB screen. It only gained 5 yards, but it was enough to pick up a 1st down.

But I remember at that time, I actually thought this offense is different. I just saw an RB screen that was somewhat successful. lol. But of course, I was played for a sucker.

Scooter

Funky
I hope this thread is just an exercise and there's no chance Kelly is with the team next year. Maybe by the end of the season we can call him competent and wish him good luck, focusing on some good points and specific plays. I'm not sure that I've seen anything new (if anything our play design seems to be going back in time), but there are several games left and Romeo is giving everyone lots of freedom. If our next HC can't do better than Kelly, it's the wrong HC.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I hope this thread is just an exercise and there's no chance Kelly is with the team next year. Maybe by the end of the season we can call him competent and wish him good luck, focusing on some good points and specific plays. I'm not sure that I've seen anything new (if anything our play design seems to be going back in time), but there are several games left and Romeo is giving everyone lots of freedom. If our next HC can't do better than Kelly, it's the wrong HC.

I hope he and OB go to the Colts and ruin their offense.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I wish they could fire Devlin now and bring in a competent OL coach and we could see TK coach some more with at least adequate run blocking techniques, screens etc. I am convinced there is more to get out of the talent we have. In a lost year, what do you have to lose? I guess noone would want to come here now anyway with a regime change coming, but someone in college ??

mws

Rookie
I know it really does not matter because Kelly will be gone next year but I am kind of curious to see if there are any changes to the offense after the buy.