Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Tim Kelly Evaluation

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Color me unimpressed with Tim Kelly. At times, I can see minor differences between him and O'Brien, however too many times I see too many similarities with his mentor. Lack of motion, lack of formations, lack of creativity and an inability to attack the weaknesses/players on the defense.

That's because they are still using the same playbook - the exact same plays.

The only difference is who's calling them and in what situation.

Did you really expect something dramatically different ?

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club

Agreed, on top of that, it’s painfully obvious that Kelly is fruit from the OB school of coaching. He looks like he’s in way over his head. This is what you get when you have an egomaniac HC that doesn’t keep anyone around that will disagree or challenge him. I hope our next HC recognizes the value of having excellent coaches around him.

Earl34

All Pro

Last week, they had one of the better runs of the season from the I formation. Over the previous two weeks, I was starting to see more variety with the formations and even motion.

Considering one of the best runs was off tackle from the I formation and @CloakNNNdagger had a post regarding injuries at LB, I thought they would use formation to attack the Packers LBs. I agree same playbook, but there are plays that have been successful and for one reason or the other, they do not call again or go weeks without using.

Earl34

All Pro
David Johnson one of the worst RBs I’ve seen in a while.
Last night, I was watching Carlos Hyde in the Seahawks and Cardinals game. The starter got injured and Hyde came in had 14 carries for 68 yard and averaged 4.5 YPC. With the combination of this soft OL and Hyde's running style, he is still a better fit for the Texans. Go figure.

welsh texan

All Pro
Color me unimpressed with Tim Kelly. At times, I can see minor differences between him and O'Brien, however too many times I see too many similarities with his mentor. Lack of motion, lack of formations, lack of creativity and an inability to attack the weaknesses/players on the defense.
There’s a huge Bill O’Brien tendency on display yesterday where the O goes through a bad run of games, the scheme gets opened up to compensate, Watson lobs it up and down the field all day for a couple of weeks off the back of some creative motion and threatening to take off on the keeper, then after a couple of better performances it reverts to type and we’re running up the middle first and second down again, and asking Watson to convert 3rd and 7.

Lucky

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Staff member
Kelly was put in an unworkable position. Saddled with O'Brien's playbook, not having the full reigns to the playcalling, not even having preseason games to practice playcalling. Have the team's best offensive weapon traded, and simultaneously the RB position downgraded.

Combine all of that with his limited knowledge of offense (only offensive jobs came under O'Brien), and he was doomed from the start. The guy is probably a fine TE coach. This is not Kelly's fault.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
15-41 yards by the RB.
Anybody has a clue what the WL records of the elite QBs are when they had a similar running game?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Normally, rushing totals are that low due to playing from behind, rather than the incompetence of the run game. With the Texans, we have both.
The only game by any team with less than 41 yards rushing I can find (since 1979) using the Game Finder tool on Profootball Reference involves a loss by Peyton Manning to the Jags in 2006.
Mind you, the Colts had Joseph Adai, not David Johnson.
They trailed by just 4 late in the first half.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Last night, I was watching Carlos Hyde in the Seahawks and Cardinals game. The starter got injured and Hyde came in had 14 carries for 68 yard and averaged 4.5 YPC. With the combination of this soft OL and Hyde's running style, he is still a better fit for the Texans. Go figure.
A timely answer to your question.

Why didn't the Texans bring back Carlos Hyde?

Oct. 26, 2020

Carlos Hyde revitalized the Texans' running game a year ago.

Now that the Texans' running game is struggling mightily after trading wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins to the Arizona Cardinals for running back David Johnson, this is how they got to this point.

When Lamar Miller tore his anterior cruciate ligament during a preseason game against the Dallas Cowboys, the Texans acquired Hyde via a trade from the Kansas City Chiefs for offensive lineman Martinas Rankin.

A physical, punishing inside runner now with the Seattle Seahawks, Hyde injected toughness and tackle-breaking skills with above-average wiggle in the open field. He rushed for a career-high 1,070 yards and expressed serious interest in returning with the Texans as a free agent when his contract expired.

The feeling was mutual, until it wasn't anymore.

Former Texans coach and general manager Bill O'Brien offered Hyde a two-year, $10 million contact contract at the end of the season. O'Brien then directly asked Hyde if he was in or if he was out shortly after the offer was made. When Hyde wanted more time to consider and weigh his options, the Texans eventually moved on and executed the trade for Johnson. Johnson is being paid a $10.2 million salary and has rushed for 392 yards to rank 15th in the NFL.

THE REST OF THE STORY

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
A timely answer to your question.

Why didn't the Texans bring back Carlos Hyde?

Oct. 26, 2020

Carlos Hyde revitalized the Texans' running game a year ago.

Now that the Texans' running game is struggling mightily after trading wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins to the Arizona Cardinals for running back David Johnson, this is how they got to this point.

When Lamar Miller tore his anterior cruciate ligament during a preseason game against the Dallas Cowboys, the Texans acquired Hyde via a trade from the Kansas City Chiefs for offensive lineman Martinas Rankin.

A physical, punishing inside runner now with the Seattle Seahawks, Hyde injected toughness and tackle-breaking skills with above-average wiggle in the open field. He rushed for a career-high 1,070 yards and expressed serious interest in returning with the Texans as a free agent when his contract expired.

The feeling was mutual, until it wasn't anymore.

Former Texans coach and general manager Bill O'Brien offered Hyde a two-year, $10 million contact contract at the end of the season. O'Brien then directly asked Hyde if he was in or if he was out shortly after the offer was made. When Hyde wanted more time to consider and weigh his options, the Texans eventually moved on and executed the trade for Johnson. Johnson is being paid a $10.2 million salary and has rushed for 392 yards to rank 15th in the NFL.

THE REST OF THE STORY
:facepalm:

Sheesh

Texansballer74

Hall of Fame

Hyde runs the ball hard and with a purpose. David tip toes and doesn’t have great vision.