Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Tim Kelly Evaluation

Is it team(s)? The only name I've seen associated with Kelly is the Titans, who lost their OC. Which makes sense, as Vrabel and Kelly were on staff for 4 years in Houston, and Kelly's offense lit up the Titans this season like a pinball machine.
Does it make a difference?

Unless Bieniemy or Frazier, or whoever the leader in the clubhouse is, has indicated they would want to keep Kelly on in some capacity, that would be the only reason for them to not let him interview. Otherwise, it isn’t fair to the next HC not to be able to pick his own staff.

This just sounds like the Texans are bending over backwards for the QB and doing whatever it is he wants, which they do need to smooth things over with him, but giving him control in front office and coaching decisions pretty much continues the dysfunction this franchise is IMO.
Sounds like to me they are considering his opinion.

Does it make a difference?
Yes. If your point is that all these other teams think Kelly is great, thus the Texans should retain him. I'm thinking that the league consensus is that Kelly is not that great. And regardless, that's not a reason to retain him.

Yes. If your point is that all these other teams think Kelly is great, thus the Texans should retain him. I'm thinking that the league consensus is that Kelly is not that great. And regardless, that's not a reason to retain him.
I didn't say any of that. I think the fact that other team(s) have an interest warrants us to take our time with him. He has earned the right to fight for his position. Until a head coach is hired no coaching changes should be made.

Pretty much what I've said for the last two years.

Yep.

My main point about Watson's numbers is they should not be used to justify keeping a Bill O'Brien clone and his lame offensive scheme. This franchise needs to flush all aspects of O'Brien and start fresh.

At the end of the day, individual stats are ultimately meaningless if they fail to translate to the ONLY thing that truly matters in the NFL: winning.

I am not advocating we keep O'Briens offense. Like I said, without an offensive minded HC, I don't want Kelly to stay. But if we're going to bring Bieniemy, I'd rather keep Kelly doing the OC things OCs do, with Bieniemy directing him. Leaving Bieniemy to do HC things.

If Bieniemy brings someone in he wants as an OC, that's great, even better. But the longer we wait... & we have to wait, chances of that becomes slimmer & slimmer.
If we have to have Tim Kelly could it be as a quarterback coach and bring in someone else as OC?

If we have to have Tim Kelly could it be as a quarterback coach and bring in someone else as OC?

Just curious, but wouldn't the Texans have to keep him at OC since they are blocking other teams from interviewing him for the same position?

QB coach would be an obvious step down, which would seem to violate the NFL interview rules (not that the Texans have been very aware of those rules in the past).

they should not be used to justify keeping a Bill O'Brien clone and his lame offensive scheme.
I agree 100%

but I wouldn’t kick out a good coach (& I’m assuming he is) just because he’s associated with O’Brien. Mike Vrabel coached a bad defense here, & he’s proven to be a better HC so far.

Matt Lefleur, Kyle Shanahan, several good young coaches have gone through here & we got nothing out of them.

Just curious, but wouldn't the Texans have to keep him at OC since they are blocking other teams from interviewing him for the same position?

QB coach would be an obvious step down, which would seem to violate the NFL interview rules (not that the Texans have been very aware of those rules in the past).
I want Kelly gone but do not understand how they can block him at all. In early January in an interview Crennel said the coaches contracts were up on January 12th. Either there was a handshake deal or some sort of an extension. If he is an employee, Kelly may rather take a offer as an QB. Who in their right mind would want him as an OC? I wonder if Watson has had any contact with Kelly about moving from Houston? I am not certain how the interview rules work if it is your own employee you are interviewing for a promotion.

A little depressing to learn that they weren't keeping Kelly in an effort to retain Watson. Says something about their mindset that they wanted to keep a guy that only knows the offense he learned from BOB. Would really liked to have seen something different considering that a new qb will be learning our O.

Back