Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

PDS ‏@PatDStat 5m5 minutes ago

By the way Clowney is 15 lbs. heavier this year, at least. This play still stands out. https://vine.co/v/OzxgW2m6ddI #ClowneyComing #Texans

Tall, heavy athletes (Clowney now still listed on HT.com at last year's 6 feet 5 inches, 266 pounds...........so he must now actually weigh ~281) put a lot more stress on the poorer quality, less durable fibrocartilage formed after microfracture surgery and don’t do as well compared to smaller athletes. I believe that the last thing I would have wanted to hear is that Clowney gained substantial weight.

But new running back Frank Gore is 32 and not really new, so Colts coach Chuck Pagano is planning to limit Gore’s workload.

“Very closely….we’ve got to be smart with the amount of carries,” Pagano told reporters Wednesday, per the team-distributed transcript. “He’s going to want to play every snap. If we play 80 plays, he’s going to want to be in there 80 plays.

“I think we all know that we can’t do that. We need him. It’s a marathon; it’s not a sprint. So we’ve got him on a pitch count and we’re going to stick to it.”

Link

Didn't know JD and Vince were locker neighbors. Sounds like a damn good partnership:
“My little son, little baby brother, he’s everything,” Wilfork said of Clowney. “You know what? He’s a hard worker, and that’s one thing I can respect about this team, not just JD, but I know a lot of times we have to talk to him because he’s so eager, we wants to play, he wants to get out, he wants to do all this.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...-brother/b5bfe9cb-4fa4-4041-b511-0939090c7575

Tall, heavy athletes (Clowney now still listed on HT.com at last year's 6 feet 5 inches, 266 pounds...........so he must now actually weigh ~281) put a lot more stress on the poorer quality, less durable fibrocartilage formed after microfracture surgery and don’t do as well compared to smaller athletes. I believe that the last thing I would have wanted to hear is that Clowney gained substantial weight.

Look at the bright side. He'll lose a lot of it over the course of the season. Working for all those sacks really takes the weight off you I hear.

Broke out my Clowney shirt and will proudly wear it this weekend with the start of the NFL/Texans season and JDs return to the field. Not making any predictions for either, just hoping for the best.

As long as I don't see JD's name in any posts that contain the words..... I just can't say them! I can't! It will be in my next post so as not to get them too close to Clowney.

Anyway as long as that doesn't happen I think he's going to be OK.

Forbidden Words........... "Walking boot"

They seem to be stalking our players this year. No one should say these. We should call it "TWSNBN" (That Which Shall Not Be Named)

Forbidden Words........... "Walking boot"

They seem to be stalking our players this year. No one should say these. We should call it "TWSNBN" (That Which Shall Not Be Named)

If you see those words in relationship to who you are referring to.............he will have suffered something other than a knee re-injury......."TWWNBN" (That Which Will Not Be Named) are not worn for knee injuries...........they are used in foot and ankle injuries.........but it would certainly serve to sabotage a recovery from any rehabbing knee injury.:spy:

Cak, come on man. It was the first game that counted. You don't count the first three or any game before the big injury. Everybody knows that.

Cak splitting hairs, imagine that.

Everybody knows that Clowney really was hurt in the 1st game although he was present in others. Although he shouldn't have played after the 1st game and maybe avoided micro fracture surgery. Thank Texans medical staff.

Clowney played more than I thought he would. My guess would be he was in the game for somewhere under half of the defensive snaps, so my guess is it would be in the 20-25 range ? Can't say that he looked sharp, but I think he got thru this game without being injured unless I missed something. This being the first action of any kind for him in a game since 2014, maybe it's about all we could expect for his first time back ?

4 TKL, 1 TFL in limited snaps.

I thought he looked solid. He obviously wasn't wreaking havoc, but that's hardly to be expected after a devestating injury, so much time off, and playing so little his first year. Set the edge well a couple times, one in particular where he not only set it but leveraged the edge blocker himself back into the ball carrier to Watt for a loss. Made the QB move around once that I know of, maybe twice. Did a good job in pursuit on a couple plays away from him too.

All in all more than I had expected to see at this stage by a sight.

I'm happy that he was able to play in this game. I said I would believe it only if I saw it. Yeah, he was rusty, but I saw flashes. I'm good.

Guess everybody knows by now that the Chiefs TE Kelso also had the microfracture back in 2013, so he's obviously bounced back, so that's encouraging, though this is his second back. Not that there's any guarantees that JD comes back as well over the longer term.

Being able to play today & playing as much as he did shouldn't be looked at as proof that he's back & ready to go. Watch him through the week of practice. If he's anything less than a full participant then we should be worried.

Being able to play today & playing as much as he did shouldn't be looked at as proof that he's back & ready to go. Watch him through the week of practice. If he's anything less than a full participant then we should be worried.

I get what you're saying, but when it is ok, according to tk, to say it's good to have him playing?

He looked out of game shape, but still had a couple of impact plays. Like much of the defense today, he failed to maintain his lane and had big plays go right by him. Time will tell, but he looked better than I expected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guess everybody knows by now that the Chiefs TE Kelso also had the microfracture back in 2013, so he's obviously bounced back, so that's encouraging, though this is his second back. Not that there's any guarantees that JD comes back as well over the longer term.

I knew someone would bring that up, as it has been brought up in the past. So let me fill you in with some important details that aren't readily put out there. Kelce's microfracture surgery in no way can be compared to Clowney's. Clowney's was performed after a partial meniscectomy (with the potential negative implications on microfracture surgery results I've related several times in the past), but most importantly, it was in an area of previously cartilage-covered weight-bearing bone. Kelce was initially was diagnosed on MRI to have a bone bruise, showing no cartilage damage. But because Kelce continued to have pain, a scope was performed and a small area of missing cartilage was discovered that was missed on MRI. Kelce's area requiring microfracture surgery was in an area that was entirely non weight-bearing. This explained why he could run and cut without pain (in contrast to Clowney), but could not get in and out of his stance without severe disabling pain. Unsurprisingly, Kelce's microfracture surgery is expected to stand up to the trauma play. Clowney's is expected to be very susceptible to the trauma of play.

He definitely started to look better as he went. I made a comment in the game thread that he didn't belong out there. When I commented he was stuffed at the line a lot of standing straight up, he was setting the edge but wasn't doing much from what I can see. He then started to get some penetration, and got involved, glad I was proven wrong.

I get what you're saying, but when it is ok, according to tk, to say it's good to have him playing?

After a full week of practice. Now maybe the Texans gave him a full workload last week & he looked good yesterday, giving hem the confidence to put such a heavy load on him today... but I don't know that & that hasn't been our mo.. in the past.

We know he played a lot of snaps today, players will come in tomorrow, watch today's cut ups, install the corrections. They'll be off Tuesday, then go through installation & walk troughs on Wednesday. physical practice on Thursday & Friday, then travel on Saturday.

They can say Clowney was a full participant in practice Wednesday, but it doesn't mean much. If he was a full participant Thursday, then we have something we can feel good about.

But, his knee may be swollen the size of a basketball the next two days & we'll never know. If he's ready to participate Wednesday, I would take that to mean any abnormal swelling has gone down, if there was any.

It was a fair comment on his part, why I said as much. I just figure with an injury like Clowney's, and I haven't gone over all of CND's TT charts, seems a flair up could happen just about any time. We could be jumping for joy week 3, 9, 14 and all of a sudden bad news. I don't think anyone in here was planning a long-term contract extension or anything just yet.

A good solid first week of work after this game to say we're out of some initial woods sounds pretty reasonable though.

I knew someone would bring that up, as it has been brought up in the past. So let me fill you in with some important details that aren't readily put out there. Kelce's microfracture surgery in no way can be compared to Clowney's. Clowney's was performed after a partial meniscectomy (with the potential negative implications on microfracture surgery results I've related several times in the past), but most importantly, it was in an area of previously cartilage-covered weight-bearing bone. Kelce was initially was diagnosed on MRI to have a bone bruise, showing no cartilage damage. But because Kelce continued to have pain, a scope was performed and a small area of missing cartilage was discovered that was missed on MRI. Kelce's area requiring microfracture surgery was in an area that was entirely non weight-bearing. This explained why he could run and cut without pain (in contrast to Clowney), but could not get in and out of his stance without severe disabling pain. Unsurprisingly, Kelce's microfracture surgery is expected to stand up to the trauma play. Clowney's is expected to be very susceptible to the trauma of play.

Well do you think it's at all meaningful that apparently Clowney managed to get thru the whole afternoon without any setbacks, or is it just too early and much to small of a sample size to reach any reliable conclusions at this point ?

It was a fair comment on his part, why I said as much. I just figure with an injury like Clowney's, and I haven't gone over all of CND's TT charts, seems a flair up could happen just about any time. We could be jumping for joy week 3, 9, 14 and all of a sudden bad news. I don't think anyone in here was planning a long-term contract extension or anything just yet.

A good solid first week of work after this game to say we're out of some initial woods sounds pretty reasonable though.
I keep thinking one step forward and wondering if the next will be forward or two steps backward.

That sealing the edge play though. And the backside rundown TFL. His talent level is so far above Mercilus and Simon. Saying extra prayers for his knee...

Glad he made it back. I didn't think he would be on the field until later in the season. Good for him, he'll only get better.

I honestly would not be surprised if he's not full participant every day at practice. They've said over and over that they will limit him; as they should. Protect him from himself. But to me he did way more than I expected...and did better than I expected. This kid has talent, just needs the game to slow down. Let's keep in mind that he's still a rookie.

That sealing the edge play though. And the backside rundown TFL. His talent level is so far above Mercilus and Simon. Saying extra prayers for his knee...

I watched Clowney carefully. Keep in mind that he underwent microfracture surgery on his right knee. That move to "seal the edge" to the right required most of the stress to be placed on his good left knee as he pushed off that knee/foot to change direction to the right. On the other hand, when he was called to place most of the stress on his right knee in pushing off of that knee/foot with a change of direction to the left, specifically against the strong resistance of a large offensive line player, his weakness became evident.

I watched Clowney carefully. Keep in mind that he underwent microfracture surgery on his right knee. That move to "seal the edge" to the right required most of the stress to be placed on his good left knee as he pushed off that knee/foot to change direction to the right. On the other hand, when he was called to place most of the stress on his right knee in pushing off of that knee/foot with a change of direction to the left, specifically against the strong resistance of a large offensive line player, his weakness became evident.

Weakness as in still building back up the strength, or weakness as in he will live with this for all of eternity?

Clowney Felt “Pretty Good” In His Return To Texans Defense
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2015/09/13/clowney-felt-pretty-good-in-his-return-to-texans-defense/

“It’s a long, long comeback. I felt great out there. I felt good,” Clowned said. (Bill O’Brien) kept me down a little bit, but that’s part of the process, work my way back into this year.”

JJ Watt, who picked up where he left off in 2014 with two sacks in his first game of the year, was complimentary of Clowney’s effort in his first game back.

“That was a big third down stop that he got. I think you’re going to see him more and more. I know he wants to continue to get more and more reps, so I’m sure as the season progresses, he’ll do that, especially if he continues to go out there and earn it.”

Clowney was limited to the amount of snaps he got in his first game back but did start the game. He was told by the staff to not try and do too much as he’s still in the re-hab process.

“Coach told me to just let the game come to me, don’t go out there and be antsy because all week long I was like, ‘I don’t know how it’s going to go, I’m ready to play,” Clowney said. “They limited my reps, so it was just getting the feel of the game and having fun.”

Coach O’Brien did not specify if Clowney would get additional reps in next week’s game versus Carolina. Clowney knows it is a process and when is trying to be ass effective as possible when he is in the game.

“Whatever I can do to help the team get into position to comeback or win the game, period. So I was out there trying to make plays,” Clowney said.

Weakness as in still building back up the strength, or weakness as in he will live with this for all of eternity?

I posted my observation for THIS game. I have posted extensively as to the prognosis as a whole, supported by general facts and several studies that speak to the concerns both short-term and long-term. Impressions drawn from those documentations have not changed.

I posted my observation for THIS game. I have posted extensively as to the prognosis as a whole, supported by general facts and several studies that speak to the concerns both short-term and long-term. Impressions drawn from those documentations have not changed.

I'm glad you have the avatar you use, it's like a warning label!

I honestly would not be surprised if he's not full participant every day at practice. They've said over and over that they will limit him; as they should. Protect him from himself. But to me he did way more than I expected...and did better than I expected. This kid has talent, just needs the game to slow down. Let's keep in mind that he's still a rookie.
Adequate as backup was all I wanted. He passed that test. Now we will see how he participates in practices following a game.

How about a redshirt freshman?

I'm glad you have the avatar you use, it's like a warning label!
Reminds me of the flesh-eating creature from the Jeepers Creepers movie. I think Jadeveon Clowney is going to have a good career, but will it be the Lawarence Taylor type of success the media hyped it up to be? Imagining a dominating Clowney with Watt excited many people at the time he entered the draft. He was a #1 overall pick and I usually want to see greatness from those picks. This franchise already failed with David Carr and Mario Williams was somewhat of a success here and has since been better with the Bills.

After all the drama about how many effs he gave coming out of school it's tremendous to see just how much the young lion has taken to coaching.

Technique, scheme, effort on every play there. And that should have been his most timid performance of the year in terms of just getting back in the fight and feeling comfortable with his knee, the pro game, his learning curve, etc. Lots to clean up and still lots to learn, but man that's exciting to watch.

Here's to seeing more Clowney, Watt. Watt, Clowney. Great vid.

Back