Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

I wanted Jake Matthews but all he's done is start 64 games and get steadily better. He wasn't a "1st Overall" guy but I wanted a safe pick Rick couldn't screw up and he would have been that. Had no faith in our front office and I still don't.

But yeah, obviously if you're not going turtle like me on that one and working hindsight that would have been pretty amazing. 2nd round we could have had DeMarcus Lawrence instead of Su'a-Filo.

Would have much preferred Matthews and Lawrence over Clowney and Su'a-Filo but I guess it doesn't matter in the long run. O'Brain would have coached Matthews down to the same bust Xavier was and it's not like Clowney has been devoid of impact. He's done some good over there.

I wanted Clowney at 1-1 and a trade back into the 1st rd for Jimmy G. The fact that Jimmy G fell and Ricky didn't pick him set forth the Hoyer/Mallett/Os/Fitzmagic yrs. This single biggest screwup this org has made.

You're not being fair to Matthews, if you think Bruce would let his boy be coached in to a player as bad as XSF. Jake would get better coaching at home than he ever would from Devlin.

I wanted Clowney at 1-1 and a trade back into the 1st rd for Jimmy G. The fact that Jimmy G fell and Ricky didn't pick him set forth the Hoyer/Mallett/Os/Fitzmagic yrs. This single biggest screwup this org has made.

You're not being fair to Matthews, if you think Bruce would let his boy be coached in to a player as bad as XSF. Jake would get better coaching at home than he ever would from Devlin.

After his showing in the senior bowl, I really wanted Donald after a trade down and thought we could get Jimmy G in round 2... But at 1.1 Clowney was the right choice at the time as he was the consensus #1... hindsight shows us different though as it usually does

After all, Watt was becoming Watt, Mercilus was a recent 1st round pick and Crick was easily replaceable... Watt & Donald at DE in Romeo's defense would have been awesome

Last edited:
After his showing in the senior bowl, I really wanted Donald after a trade down and thought we could get Jimmy G in round 2... But at 1.1 Clowney was the right choice at the time as he was the consensus #1... hindsight shows us different though as it usually does

Things may have turned out differently for Clowney had NRG not had the failed field turf idea.

Things may have turned out differently for Clowney had NRG not had the failed field turf idea.

This is true, but by his own words he didn't get caught in one of the many bad seams regardless of what Swearinger said

I wanted to trade down for Matthews and trade back up for Mosley. Would've taken just about anything to go back a couple spots, then be quite aggressive getting back to the mid first.

The lawsuit wasn't by or on behalf on Clowney.

Anyone viewing from above knew the tray system didn't work

Understood,

# Hartmann

I wonder what genius thought it would work? I did landscaping as a kid and I could tell you it wouldn't work because of water which you can deal with and sunlight which you cant.

Reactions: JB
Understood,

# Hartmann

I wonder what genius thought it would work? I did landscaping as a kid and I could tell you it wouldn't work because of water which you can deal with and sunlight which you cant.

We played a playoff game there in HS, it was by far and away the worst field I have ever played on. That is including all of those poorly maintained HS and junior high fields.

Not getting Jimmy G is the biggest screw up this org has ever made? What has Jimmy proven in this league to make that type of statement?

Not getting Jimmy G is the biggest screw up this org has ever made? What has Jimmy proven in this league to make that type of statement?

1st of all I'm a huge Jimmy G guy.

But wouldn't you have like the Texans to have the type of QB play you saw with the Pats/49ers from Jimmy G over the last 5 yrs, instead of Hoyer/Os/Fitzmagic etc...

BTW, what's Jimmy G's record in the games he's started? You think you might like a guy like that as your starting QB instead of the guys I listed above.

1st of all I'm a huge Jimmy G guy.

But wouldn't you have like the Texans to have the type of QB play you saw with the Pats/49ers from Jimmy G over the last 5 yrs, instead of Hoyer/Os/Fitzmagic etc...

BTW, what's Jimmy G's record in the games he's started? You think you might like a guy like that as your starting QB instead of the guys I listed above.
Of course I would have preferred Jimmy over those guys, but it’s a far stretch to say it’s the biggest screw up the org has made. Let’s be honest, they’ve made a lot to pick from.

For as much you harp on Watson’s injury past, Jimmy’s injury history isn’t encouraging either.

But I guess you made that statement by predicting Jimmy will be something great while Deshaun will not.

Of course I would have preferred Jimmy over those guys, but it’s a far stretch to say it’s the biggest screw up the org has made. Let’s be honest, they’ve made a lot to pick from.

For as much you harp on Watson’s injury past, Jimmy’s injury history isn’t encouraging either.

But I guess you made that statement by predicting Jimmy will be something great while Deshaun will not.

Nope, I predicted Watson would get hurt playing behind last yrs OL and his past injury history. Jimmy G didn't have an injury history coming out of college. I still think if both of them stay healthy Jimmy G will be the better QB, but both of them can be championship level QB's.

Clowney has been penalized 8 times this season including 2 taunting penalties, 2 offsides calls, 2 neutral zone infractions and 1 encroachment flag.

I'd been thinking we should accept a second round pick for JD if we were to entertain trade proposals, but now I'm thinking he should bring a first rounder.

Clowney's sizzle will increase as the season goes on if he is able to maintain. Raiders need a lot and maybe a DE like Clowney playing as he is now and going forward may be a risk Gruden may be willing to take for say the Bear's pick late in first? LA use their own first and second first from Dallas for OTs or and OT and WR and use second for the other. Jonah WIlliams, Greg Little or whomever and the UTx WR in round two.

For us best OT and say DE Zach Allen in first and another OT and a RB second round?

Not gonna happen.

The sad reality, I know. Clowney will finish the season on a high note, then he's going to get offers that the Texans will not have the heart to match. Texans won't Franchise him b/c of the money involved. So Clowney will move on while the Texans receive nothing for his parting. Texans could try and sign and sign him before the season is done but that's not really their MO either. So tag and pay is their only option and I think if the Texans pull this, Clowney goes into protection mode. The sniffles will sideline him for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't look forward to how this may play out.

The sad reality, I know. Clowney will finish the season on a high note, then he's going to get offers that the Texans will not have the heart to match. Texans won't Franchise him b/c of the money involved. So Clowney will move on while the Texans receive nothing for his parting. Texans could try and sign and sign him before the season is done but that's not really their MO either. So tag and pay is their only option and I think if the Texans pull this, Clowney goes into protection mode. The sniffles will sideline him for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't look forward to how this may play out.

There would be a decent compensatory pick I would guess, but the Texans are a stupidly managed team. They WILL franchise JD and make things tense, probably multiple years it will be a shitshow ... only to part for next to nothing in the end. The Texan way.

There would be a decent compensatory pick I would guess, but the Texans are a stupidly managed team. They WILL franchise JD and make things tense, probably multiple years it will be a shitshow ... only to part for next to nothing in the end. The Texan way.

The very best they get COMP wise....is after RD3 is over. They trade him now, they should be getting a solid RD1 and maybe another pick in 2019 or an extra in 2020. Even a 2020 pick would better than the COMP pick they'd get.

The very best they get COMP wise....is after RD3 is over. They trade him now, they should be getting a solid RD1 and maybe another pick in 2019 or an extra in 2020. Even a 2020 pick would better than the COMP pick they'd get.

I agree. If it was me I'm locking him up long term, but I'm in the minority. So yes, trade him to a team who will value him and use him to the best of his ability before you know his knee falls off from his leg and all that.

But

Texans do things ass backwards, think of the most sensible thing to do and they will do the opposite.

Your name is right "Optimistic" I would be ecstatic getting what you think we could get. Any team have an over abundance of quality OL?

Your name is right "Optimistic" I would be ecstatic getting what you think we could get. Any team have an over abundance of quality OL?

Let's see, rentals haven't done too bad this season.

Mack, 2020 RD2, 2020 COND RD5 Returned to Raiders = 2019 RD1, RD6 and 2020 RD1, RD3

Cooper Returned to Raiders = 2019 RD1

I can't see any way Clowney's return to the Texans would be any worse than either of these players. Bears avoided the "Rental" tag and took care of Mack after the trade...can't blame them after that investment. But, none of us would know for sure how Clowney's market value would be perceived until it's known that he's available for the right price. C'mon Gaine, make the announcement.

Say what Rico, your AFC South first place Houston Texans are a "stupidly managed team" ? OK but all teams make stupid decisions now and then, why even Belichick & the Pats have made some stupid personell decisions
Right now I'm feeling pretty good about our new GM Brian Gaine.

Hope you're wrong

Hope you're wrong

I hope I am to. Sucks to realize the Texans are at the top of such a poor Division yet again. I haven't quite figured out if winning the Division should elicit joy or sadness. Just once, I'd like to see the Texans dominate the AFC South when every team in the Division is healthy and playing at the top of their games. That hasn't happened yet. I don't want to see O'Brien get another fake feather in his hat b/c that'll certainly mean more of the same.

I hope I am to. Sucks to realize the Texans are at the top of such a poor Division yet again. I haven't quite figured out if winning the Division should elicit joy or sadness. Just once, I'd like to see the Texans dominate the AFC South when every team in the Division is healthy and playing at the top of their games. That hasn't happened yet. I don't want to see O'Brien get another fake feather in his hat b/c that'll certainly mean more of the same.
Personally speaking after that horrible start for 2018 I'm elated this week we are leading the division. I dunno what happens Thurday night and how I might feel next week
but right now I say: Go Texans !

Say what Rico, your AFC South first place Houston Texans are a "stupidly managed team" ? OK but all teams make stupid decisions now and then, why even Belichick & the Pats have made some stupid personell decisions
Right now I'm feeling pretty good about our new GM Brian Gaine.

My dude do I really need to list them all Joppru, Ahman Green, Ed Reed, homegrown talent walking, premature extensions, and all that before even mentioning the Benny Hill bloopers that happen on the field. Part of recovery is admitting there are flaws, and for most of us TExans fans this has been an abusive relationship lol

Jury is still out on Gaine, he is so aligned with Buttchin that I cant help but look at him with a critical eye.

Uncle Rico is winning me over. With our cap room, front loaded, and some injury protection, AND if he takes a little less then Mack/Donald money I see signing him longer term. The franchise stuff could go really bad depending on what he and his agent do to protect himself

My dude do I really need to list them all Joppru, Ahman Green, Ed Reed, homegrown talent walking, premature extensions, and all that before even mentioning the Benny Hill bloopers that happen on the field. Part of recovery is admitting there are flaws, and for most of us TExans fans this has been an abusive relationship lol

Jury is still out on Gaine, he is so aligned with Buttchin that I cant help but look at him with a critical eye.
Hey dude FYI Brian Gaine wasn't even a glitter in Bob McNairs eye until sometime after "Joppru, Ahman Green, Ed Reed" appeared on the scene here in Houston.

If they make the playoffs with the mess Ricky left behind and a badly hurt Watson that will be amazing to me.

I was glad to see Watt taking off some snaps with Clowney out there it would seem some rotation with some of our other less harald players would help both. If this continues to be successful, it would seem to be a plan for the future. Money is not a problem it is the way it's paid and if it continues to be paid. 2019 cap space $91 million and as of now we have almost $25 million more to roll over. That doesn't count money such as $9 million saved if K Johnson is gone. Team just needs to keep getting better and peak during playoffs.

If they make the playoffs with the mess Ricky left behind and a badly hurt Watson that will be amazing to me.

if they actually earn their berth then yea, but as it stands becoming a playoff team by default isnt really a signature moment like winning a beauty contest for the blind.

if they actually earn their berth then yea, but as it stands becoming a playoff team by default isnt really a signature moment like winning a beauty contest for the blind.

I'm willing to give the Gaine/BOB team a couple of yrs and see how this plays out. Time to get the OL fixed though. Gaine fixed quite a few things this offseason even without high draft picks.

I'm willing to give the Gaine/BOB team a couple of yrs and see how this plays out. Time to get the OL fixed though. Gaine fixed quite a few things this offseason even without high draft picks.

Only thing with the patient approach is that who knows how small the window will be then? Watt two years from now? JD? Hopkins? It would be under the assumption Gaine will staff the team appropriately and I don't have that long of a leash. One handicapped year is too soon, but you will know everything you need to know about Gaine after this coming draft.

Only thing with the patient approach is that who knows how small the window will be then? Watt two years from now? JD? Hopkins? It would be under the assumption Gaine will staff the team appropriately and I don't have that long of a leash. One handicapped year is too soon, but you will know everything you need to know about Gaine after this coming draft.

Although we think differently on this I certainly can appreciate where you're at on this.

Thing is in 2 1/2 yrs this team if Gaine does what I think he's going to do this team will be a true SB contender. Watson has won me over, he's one tough son of a gun and if he keeps learning good times will be ahead. He's already learned to pick and choose when to take shots running with the ball. He needs to learn to look down the field when he steps up in the pocket (He's learning) instead of taking off running. Watson reminds me of a young Steve Young and what we are really trying to figure out is if he's Bucs Steve Young or is he 49ers Steve Young. Right now he's playing behind the Bucs OL hopefully soon he will be playing behind the 49ers OL. If we are lucky BOB will be a pimple on Walsh's a** and good times this city deserves will happen.

That's with Uncle Bob doing What Uncle Bob does.

Although we think differently on this I certainly can appreciate where you're at on this.

Thing is in 2 1/2 yrs this team if Gaine does what I think he's going to do this team will be a true SB contender. Watson has won me over, he's one tough son of a gun and if he keeps learning good times will be ahead. He's already learned to pick and choose when to take shots running with the ball. He needs to learn to look down the field when he steps up in the pocket (He's learning) instead of taking off running. Watson reminds me of a young Steve Young and what we are really trying to figure out is if he's Bucs Steve Young or is he 49ers Steve Young. Right now he's playing behind the Bucs OL hopefully soon he will be playing behind the 49ers OL. If we are lucky BOB will be a pimple on Walsh's a** and good times this city deserves will happen.

That's with Uncle Bob doing What Uncle Bob does.

Unfortunately McNair's fear of being a bottom dweller team lead him to make a bad decision at a crucial time, retaining Rick Smith when he fired Kubiak. Now we are left in this weird limbo period of being year 5 with O'Brien, but year 1 of O'Brien with a GM that he is supposedly aligned with. So now we are in a chicken and the egg situation where do we truly know how good or bad OB is as a coach, or was he just not getting his players. 5 years into a coach there should be no questions left, but here we are. I don't doubt O'Brien getting his players to stay together, and play hard every game. I do question his offensive philosophy, and his ability to get players to execute his system.

Can we bring this thread back to subject? Good convo here but it's annoying to get notifications for a thread you're following and the convo has nothing to do with the subject. Thanks.

Not much dialogue when JDC is being a DPOY candidate .. wait til he sprains his pinky toe and this thread will go bonkers.

Back