Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Wide Receivers

vtech9

All Pro
We

All the podcast that I listen to, are singing high praises. I never heard of this podcast you just posted.
The guy that mentioned it is CoachDonte31. He has his own channel, and was just a guest here.

If all you want to hear is the good stuff, Coty Davis and John Hickman are good ones to listen to. If you want a really pessimistic view, and almost a negative view, listen to Paul Gallant. There are many others, and I try to listen to them all.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Not the first time i’ve read Cooks is cooking all comers. Not sure if that’s a good thing or not. I hope it means Cooks is taking the next step and becoming a top tier WR 1
Cooks has been a very productive every year he's been in the nfl and healthy. He's a very unique wr because he can take the top off, but he's a very good route runner also.

Texansballer74

The Marine
The guy that mentioned it is CoachDonte31. He has his own channel, and was just a guest here.

If all you want to hear is the good stuff, Coty Davis and John Hickman are good ones to listen to. If you want a really pessimistic view, and almost a negative view, listen to Paul Gallant. There are many others, and I try to listen to them all.
Ok gotcha, Coty and John doesn’t butter them up all the times either. If a player is having a bad camp, they will point that out. These guys you post I never seen their channel or podcast. And trust me I’m all over YouTube and Twitter listening to whoever is talking about the Texans.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
All they need is a miracle.

There's one guy who is a top 25 WR (Cooks).
A 2nd year guy with all the tools (Collins) that needs to make a big step forward.
Three age 29 WRs (Conley, Moore, Dorsett) with a collective 19 years in the league who've never put it together.
5 guys I would have never heard of if they weren't on the Texans roster.

This has to be the worst WR group since...the 2021 Texans WRs group.

Still, they're better than the TE group. Horrific.

Remember, the passing game is supposed to be the strength of the offense because of the moribund rushing attack. How is this not going to be the worst offense in league for the 2nd consecutive season?
Terrible that they didn't really give Mills the tools to be successful this season .... The offense is likely to be bad no matter how well he plays individually and we're not going to get a clear image of how good he may or may not be ..... they'll end up reaching for a QB in the draft.

• Sad
Reactions: JB

SnakeEyes

Under NRG

Paul never gives much credit. Coty and Hickman are normally spot on. And the other day the Locked On Podcast had Nick Caserio on. And he was excited about Nico, and also was extremely informative about what he and the coaches are looking for in camp. Along with what and how they teach. Like is an INT a QB only issue, a WR and QB or is it the D playing that well. Once they decide, they will work on the issue until it isn't a problem. Or they will move some players around and check the results. It goes much deeper than that. But how he summarizes it is really a good listen.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Both Johnson and Camp are getting some love in the media for their performance on Saturday.
I'm not following them closely enough to have an informed opinion.
Which, if either, has the best chance making the final roster?

If I had had to choose one, it would be Camp. He looks like the better overall athlete and probably would have more impact on special teams. But I would keep both, as of now. We're talking about the 4th and 5th WRs, and that should be young guys that can get better. Not 29 year old vets that have never put it together.

michaelm

vox nihili
If I had had to choose one, it would be Camp. He looks like the better overall athlete and probably would have more impact on special teams. But I would keep both, as of now. We're talking about the 4th and 5th WRs, and that should be young guys that can get better. Not 29 year old vets that have never put it together.
The article mentions Camp's route running. I'll have to pay more attention to that

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I would sign Trent Taylor to be the slot guy if the Bengals cut him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yes, with the sparkling 9.5 ypc. David Anderson without the jokes.
What's the avg ypc for a slot WR? I bet it's not much over 10 ypc. I'm looking for a solid slot WR with reliable hands. At this point you're not going to find the type of slot guy you're looking for. I'm looking for a guy that will run an 8 yd route on 3rd and 7 and be able to hang onto the ball for a 1st down, more than I'm looking for a rac type wr.

Last edited:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
What's the avg ypc for a slot WR? I bet it's not much over 10 ypc. I'm looking for a solid slot WR with reliable hands. At this point you're not going to find the type of slot guy you're looking for. I'm looking for a guy that will run an 8 yd route on 3rd and 7 and be able to hang onto the ball for a 1st down, more than I'm looking for a rac type wr.
Over the past 3 years, Taylor has 18 1st downs on 38 receptions. So more often than not, Taylor comes up short of the 1st round.

Exactly whom does Taylor beat out to make the Texans? Is he a guy that will be here in 2024, when the Texans are trying to get out of the cellar of the AFC South?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Over the past 3 years, Taylor has 18 1st downs on 38 receptions. So more often than not, Taylor comes up short of the 1st round.

Exactly whom does Taylor beat out to make the Texans? Is he a guy that will be here in 2024, when the Texans are trying to get out of the cellar of the AFC South?
Tell me who you think makes the roster at the wr position and I will give you and answer.

We're looking at things differently. I'm looking for a solid slot who can help find out if Mills is the future, not a guy who has to learn on the job. The young guy you're looking for is Metchie and probably a 2023 draft pick.

Just different philosophies.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
We're looking at things differently. I'm looking for a solid slot who can help find out if Mills is the future, not a guy who has to learn on the job.
No one has done anything until they do it. Look at Taylor, for example. His best season was his rookie season. He's done nothing since. I'm absolutely not against picking up a WR (or any other player) that can help the Texans now and possibly down the road. I'm less concerned about what they have done than what they may be able to do. Taylor looks like a guy that's about to be out of the league. Why spend time coaching up a guy that is about to be in the XFL or Canada?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No one has done anything until they do it. Look at Taylor, for example. His best season was his rookie season. He's done nothing since. I'm absolutely not against picking up a WR (or any other player) that can help the Texans now and possibly down the road. I'm less concerned about what they have done than what they may be able to do. Taylor looks like a guy that's about to be out of the league. Why spend time coaching up a guy that is about to be in the XFL or Canada?
The guy you're looking for is Metchie.

I want Mills to have his best chance at being successful, which is why I want them to sign Beasley, not some rookie that's been cut from another team. Although I do like Bandy from the Chargers if he gets cut.

BTW, what's the avg YPC for a slot?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
BTW, what's the avg YPC for a slot?
Look it up, if you really need to know.

Scotty Miller may be a guy that's on the outs in Tampa Bay. The signings of Julio Jones and Russell Gage have really squeezed the Bucs WR corps, and Miller is not a special teams contributor. Out with a turf toe for much of 2021, Miller had a very good 2020. Converted 21 of his 33 receptions for 1st downs with a 15 yard/reception average while only playing 46% of the snaps.

Miller might have late round pick value, so a trade may be required. But at age 25, he still has plenty of game left.The type of young vet that could grow with this young team. Not to mention that Miller does not have a narrow skill set like a declining Beasley and can get down the field. Miller would also come much cheaper, with a 996K cap hit for 2022.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Scotty Miller may be a guy that's on the outs in Tampa Bay. The signings of Julio Jones and Russell Gage have really squeezed the Bucs WR corps, and Miller is not a special teams contributor. Out with a turf toe for much of 2021, Miller had a very good 2020. Converted 21 of his 33 receptions for 1st downs with a 15 yard/reception average while only playing 46% of the snaps.

Miller might have late round pick value, so a trade may be required. But at age 25, he still has plenty of game left.The type of young vet that could grow with this young team. Not to mention that Miller does not have a narrow skill set like a declining Beasley and can get down the field. Miller would also come much cheaper, with a 996K cap hit for 2022.
I'm guessing around 10 ypc at most.

I would definitely be on board with bringing Miller on the team. Hopefully it would work out better than the last Miller they traded for.

BTW, I sure wish Caserio had gone with Texan and my pick, Pickens, that guys a stud.

They need to sign Ebron if he's healthy and Caserio can't trade for a TE upgrade.

Last edited:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

I’d trade the 6th that came back from Shaheen for him!

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Here's an interesting article about YPC. Not slot receiver specific, but still interesting reading.

While yards per reception is not representative of which receivers are the most valuable, it can provide insight on a player’s role in the offense when compared with other stats. Certain players fill a high-risk high-reward role, putting up 15+ yards per reception but not catching those passes at a high rate. Elite receivers do not always put up the most yards per reception, but their high catch percentage and usage leads them to be the most valuable players.
By comparing yards per reception with catch percentage, an NFL general manager could better evaluate the risk and reward a player brings to the offense. Even if a player does not have the highest catch percentage, they can make up for it in terms of yards per each reception. As such, certain players can fill incredibly valuable roles in the offense even if they are used only in a limited fashion. The best receivers ultimately find a way to catch the most passes at the highest rate and thus put up the most yards. These stats are not all encompassing, and it would be wrong to say that elite wide receivers do not also need to be potent deep threats. However, offensive efficiency is an important consideration when looking to evaluate players and NFL offenses.
In the future, quarterback performance could also be involved in evaluating receiving efficiency. Certain quarterbacks and offenses are more aggressive when it comes to throwing deep downfield. A perfect example is the Kansas City Chiefs, exemplified by Tyreek Hill leading the All-Pro receivers in terms of yards per reception due to his speed and connection with star quarterback Patrick Mahomes. Those teams may want to target less-expensive receivers that balance a high yards per reception with a reasonably high catch percentage, towards the top left of the second chart. Other teams, like the 2019-20 Saints led by an aging Drew Brees, could target players with top notch catch percentages since deep-threats are not as valuable to their offense.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
With the waiver claim of Tyler Johnson we just improved the wide receiver corps. Johnson > Conley.
I would like see Johnny Johnson III and Jalen Camp on the PS.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 5
NFL Comparison
Jakobi Meyers
Overview
Contested-catch warrior who plays the game like a big brother imposing his will on his younger brothers on the playground. Johnson's lack of speed and explosiveness make it hard to create clean catch windows unless he's working against zone. However, he's an absolute rebound champ, using instincts, timing and an impressive knowledge of body control to keep defenders away from the football and make it his own. His production speaks directly to his ball skills and competitiveness, but physical limitations might pigeon-hole him into a role as a zone-beating possession slot with red-zone talent.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 5
NFL Comparison
Jakobi Meyers
Overview
Contested-catch warrior who plays the game like a big brother imposing his will on his younger brothers on the playground. Johnson's lack of speed and explosiveness make it hard to create clean catch windows unless he's working against zone. However, he's an absolute rebound champ, using instincts, timing and an impressive knowledge of body control to keep defenders away from the football and make it his own. His production speaks directly to his ball skills and competitiveness, but physical limitations might pigeon-hole him into a role as a zone-beating possession slot with red-zone talent.
Kind of sounds like Nico Collins. Am I wrong?