Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans vs Ravens Week 1 Game Thread

For those that think that Anderson did not make much impact on the game.

We got a good one in WAJr...he's a MONSTER w/ a non stop motor! Glad he recorded his 1st sack and greenard was the lucky to get credit for his sack b/c of WAJr's pressure and havoc...trying to view highlights of game on youtube...but no full game ones have come up yet...

This may reflect Richardson's reliance on Michael Pittman, who had 97 yards and 11 targets. From Yahoo:

"Rookie quarterback Anthony Richardson quickly realized Pittman was his most reliable option, leaning on him heavily with the game on the line in the fourth quarter. No other Colts player managed more than 39 receiving yards on the afternoon..."

This may reflect Richardson's reliance on Michael Pittman, who had 97 yards and 11 targets. From Yahoo:

"Rookie quarterback Anthony Richardson quickly realized Pittman was his most reliable option, leaning on him heavily with the game on the line in the fourth quarter. No other Colts player managed more than 39 receiving yards on the afternoon..."

Stingley was drafted to shut down the other team’s WR1. I’m looking forward to him doing that next week!

Woods and Stroud building quick chemistry or am I one game overanalyzing ?
It looked like it. But I wonder why no one mentioned it with all the TC reporting. They reported all kinds of other stuff... all the time he's been spending with Schultz & stuff like that.

Hopefully it's the hot hand thing. I'd much rather Stroud be the guy that finds the hot hand every game. The defense plays how they play, they're determined to take out the #1 & #2 option... Stroud finds the #3 guy. The defense then adjust to the #3 guy & opens up the #1 & #2.

Fingers crossed.

Stroud finish his 1st game (arguably better than Jackson)
CJ's
Passer Rating
78.03 TD 0 INT 0
Jackson
Passer Rating
79.55 TD 0. INT 1

Not sure how with the INT he is about 1point better than CJ. But, given that INT, I feel CJ had a better performance. Minus the sacks that he was almost always running away from the line. Probably cost 40yrds in sacks. OL has to do better and CJ has to learn to throw it away or take the sack close to the line.

We got a good one in WAJr...he's a MONSTER w/ a non stop motor! Glad he recorded his 1st sack and greenard was the lucky to get credit for his sack b/c of WAJr's pressure and havoc...trying to view highlights of game on youtube...but no full game ones have come up yet...

They should have the condensed full game up by Thursday or Friday

It looked like it. But I wonder why no one mentioned it with all the TC reporting. They reported all kinds of other stuff... all the time he's been spending with Schultz & stuff like that.

Hopefully it's the hot hand thing. I'd much rather Stroud be the guy that finds the hot hand every game. The defense plays how they play, they're determined to take out the #1 & #2 option... Stroud finds the #3 guy. The defense then adjust to the #3 guy & opens up the #1 & #2.

Fingers crossed.
Woods was his underneath target. Collins his deep target. Collins' average was 13.3 (nice). Woods averaged 9.5.

Stroud finish his 1st game (arguably better than Jackson)
CJ's
Passer Rating
78.03 TD 0 INT 0
Jackson
Passer Rating
79.55 TD 0. INT 1

Not sure how with the INT he is about 1point better than CJ. But, given that INT, I feel CJ had a better performance. Minus the sacks that he was almost always running away from the line. Probably cost 40yrds in sacks. OL has to do better and CJ has to learn to throw it away or take the sack close to the line.
These factors taken into account might help you better understand the difference.

NFL Passer Rating Calculator

If you want to do your own calculation>>

1694444092449.png
***Note that the heaviest weighted factor in the formula is INTs.

Last edited:

Fingers crossed.
I have to review film but I think CJ had his fingers crossed on passing hand which led to mediocre accuracy.

I believe two DLmen left the game with an injury - Maliek Collins and Rankins. Did they return to play? Are they injured? Any news?

edit: not Rankins but Ridgeway went out with a calf injury.

Still not finding anything on Collins, so must not have been anything serious.

Last edited:
Snap counts. Surprised Hansen was listed as a starter but only played 2 snaps. Looks like To’o To’o got those reps. And Littleton spelled Harris as he works back from injury.

Also surprised Boone got more offensive snaps than Singletary. Guess it was pass heavy game script but figured they’d still use Pierce or Singletary. Boone had an awful drop the only time I noticed him in the game.

He turned his head after he made contact.

View attachment 12617
Physical corners do more than just contact, they grab, hold and tug on the receivers. And they rarely get penalized. The problem is the league doesn’t view Stingley as a physical cornerback. Therefore, when he doe’s play physical, the referees are going to flag him. These refs looks at film just like these teams and some experts do.

Greenard‘s going to benefit in a contract year, wow.
I have not been a fan of Greenard and barring an outstanding season, I would offer him towards end of season for a round 2 for a needy play off bound team. Dylan Horton hopefully will be able to take over and Greenard needs to have minimum of six sacks.

Too soon for much discussion, but we need a plan for those LBs with one year deals. Too Too hopefully will replace Perryman who should bring us a round three comp as I don't think we will bring in a high value free agent next off season. Both Horton and Henry had really good 2022. I am not opposed to extending Perryman for fair deal.. if he tears it up this season.

Edited to correct to not opposed to extending Perryman.

Greenard‘s going to benefit in a contract year, wow.
Can he actually stay healthy though?

That's going to be his biggest benefit. We all knew this guy could play it's just a matter of "for how long?"

Personally I wouldn't re-sign him unless it's to a short term deal. Way too risky clogging up your cap with contracts for players who aren't actually on the field.

I have not been a fan of Greenard and barring an outstanding season, I would offer him towards end of season for a round 2 for a needy play off bound team. Dylan Horton hopefully will be able to take over and Greenard needs to have minimum of six sacks.

Too soon for much discussion, but we need a plan for those LBs with one year deals. Too Too hopefully will replace Perryman who should bring us a round three comp as I don't think we will bring in a high value free agent next off season. Both Horton and Henry had really good 2022. I am not opposed to extending Perryman for fair deal.. if he tears it up this season.

Edited to correct to not opposed to extending Perryman.
I just found this projection by ESPN: 85 Ts 17 sacks. He probably would refuse to extends with Houston. 😆

I just found this projection by ESPN: 85 Ts 17 sacks. He probably would refuse to extends with Houston. 😆
I’d sure try to extend him if he gets 17 sacks, lol. That would also imply he was healthy all year.

Personally I wouldn't re-sign him unless it's to a short term deal. Way too risky clogging up your cap with contracts for players who aren't actually on the field.
If the price is right I'd have no problem locking him to a long term low cost contract that I'm not obligated to honor in the more expensive years.

The guy can play when he's healthy & would be a solid addition to any rotation.

If the price is right I'd have no problem locking him to a long term low cost contract that I'm not obligated to honor in the more expensive years.

The guy can play when he's healthy & would be a solid addition to any rotation.
Man I wish they would've picked WA at 1-2 and traded up from 1-12 to 1-9 and picked Carter. This would've been the way the 49ers built their team. Armstead/Buckner/Bosa. Texans WA/Carter/Collins/Greenard. That's a DL that would cause any offense issues. Oh well water under the bridge.

Man I wish they would've picked WA at 1-2 and traded up from 1-12 to 1-9 and picked Carter. This would've been the way the 49ers built their team. Armstead/Buckner/Bosa. Texans WA/Carter/Collins/Greenard. That's a DL that would cause any offense issues. Oh well water under the bridge.

Or they would have drafted Solomon Thomas and traded for Chris Jones down the road ;)

Or they would have drafted Solomon Thomas and traded for Chris Jones down the road ;)
Difference is, this is what I said I hoped they would do before the draft.

Remember all of the Carter's a bum posters and I said he's the next Sapp? This is TBD but Carter looks like a star level player to me. 2 star level players on the same DL is a game changer and that's what the Texans should've been looking for. Difference makers.

Stingley was between bad to terrible on all three of the Ravens TDs.

He totally whiffed on the first TD by Dobbins.

On the second TD (just under 10 mins in the third, near the goal line.)
Sure, he was in man coverage, but he's got to be aware that his man was gonna block our edge guy.
In this case, a good CB has got to become the guy that contains the edge.

Shortly after, on the third TD, Stingley was the edge guy, and he tackled air again.
It's so funny to watch him flee the crime scene. 🤣

Stingley was between bad to terrible on all three of the Ravens TDs.

He totally whiffed on the first TD by Dobbins.

On the second TD (just under 10 mins in the third, near the goal line.)
Sure, he was in man coverage, but he's got to be aware that his man was gonna block our edge guy.
In this case, a good CB has got to become the guy that contains the edge.

Shortly after, on the third TD, Stingley was the edge guy, and he tackled air again.
It's so funny to watch him flee the crime scene. 🤣
You’re nitpicking like a mutha joker.
1st TD at that angle by the RB and then going airborne, nobody is stopping that TD.
2nd TD was not on Stingley. Number 48 should’ve blown that up and drove the back backwards. But he didn’t meet him head on .
3rd TD the back made a hard cut so Stingley or anyone else in that position not stopping that touchdown either.

But hey I understand when we don’t like certain players, we’re going to always be extra critical towards their play.

1st TD at that angle by the RB and then going airborne, nobody is stopping that TD.
2nd TD was not on Stingley. Number 48 should’ve blown that up and drove the back backwards. But he didn’t meet him head on .
3rd TD the back made a hard cut so Stingley or anyone else in that position not stopping that touchdown either.

But hey I understand when we don’t like certain players, we’re going to always be extra critical towards their play.
I remember making a bet on KJax vs. Jason Allen, which guy was going to get a second contract from the Texans.
Money talk.
I said the Texans will let Allen and resign KJax even though Allen was drafted some 10 slots higher and looked to be a pretty good man corner.
One of the main reasons, I said, is run support.
You've got to be able to stop the opponnent from scoring or converting for a first down.
The Texans did just that.

To be fair I haven't said one thing bad about any Texans player performance this yr since the season has started.

Back