Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans vs Ravens Week 1 Game Thread

Sounds like I want sting to Rip the "executive decision" page out of his personal playbook and not be soft.
Personally I'd prefer an important player with injury history to not needlessly throw his shoulder at a brick wall when the play is already over even if it upsets the fans online. Maybe that's just me tho

Personally I'd prefer an important player with injury history to not needlessly throw his shoulder at a brick wall when the play is already over even if it upsets the fans online. Maybe that's just me tho

Maybe I want my defenders to punish anyone with the ball. Maybe I want the chance for a stop or a turnover. That's just me though...

Well if we had our actual starting unit out there. And to be honest the backups did all right a few times in the game.
Man bump that you’re right we’re hurting big time in that department.
Oh do I ever miss Howard. Bet lots of folks do. Lol remember when we drafted him and several posters, particularly one, roasted the Texans for letting the Eagles jump them for Andre Dillard? hows that working for…well the Titans now?

The way Marcus Williams tried to arm tackle Collins with his arm way out from his body, he had to have either a shoulder subluxation/dislocation or a pec tear.

I didn't get to see the game

Tell me how Stroud looked

How bad was the ol

The defense?
Statistically didn't have a good game. But had plays giving some a positive spin and hope for the future.

28/44 for 242 yds for 5.5 yd avg. 0 TD 0 INT. 5 sacks passer rating 78.0 QBR 21.4

Taking into account the quality of the opposing teams, Mills' stats for his first start:
19/28 for 168 yds for 6.0 yd avg. 1 TD. 0 INT. 4 sacks passer rating 95.5 QBR 53.3

OL was not good. Rushing avg was only 3.1 yds. Gave up 5 sacks and Stroud was under pressure. Fant got injured and was replaced by Deiter.

Last edited:
I LITERALLY just watched the exact same play happen in the NE/Philly game and there was no flag. Stingley got called for it b/c OBJ sold it & flopped.

That’s why Stingley was laughing …..b/c it was a ridiculous call.
You don't turn your head....you can't be surprised you get the call.

Statistically didn't have a good game. But had plays giving some a positive spin and hope for the future.

28/44 for 242 yds for 5.5 yd avg. 0 TD 0 INT. 5 sacks passer rating 78.0 QBR 21.4

Taking into account the quality of the opposing teams, Mills' stats for his first start:
19/28 for 168 yds for 6.0 yd avg. 1 TD. 0 INT. 4 sacks passer rating 95.5 QBR 53.3

OL was not good. Rushing avg was only 3.1 yds. Gave up 5 sacks and Stroud was under pressure. Fant got injured and was replaced by Deiter.
The QBR accounts for how the QB responds to poor Oline (and other positions') play.

You don't turn your head....you can't be surprised you get the call.
He did turn his head though and had put his arm out to the ball so he was definitely looking. Didn't turn his body though.

The classic case of something that Sauce Gardner does multiple times a game and gets praised for it, while Stingley does it once and gets flagged.

Do people still care about QBR? Isn't it shown to be a relatively flawed stat?
There are experts in both camps. Passer Rating has its known flaws. QBR has its own flaws. In the end, it is still surprising how muany times they correlate with one another. It all depends on whether you prefer to look at QBs' performance as if they are in a self-contained vacuum or not.

He did turn his head though and had put his arm out to the ball so he was definitely looking. Didn't turn his body though.

The classic case of something that Sauce Gardner does multiple times a game and gets praised for it, while Stingley does it once and gets flagged.
He never turned his head before contact. Turning your body is not necessary to avoid PI.

He turned his head after he made contact.

View attachment 12617

Most CBs turn and look after they make contact b/c you are taught as a part of your technique as a cb to locate the WR 1st & then turn to locate the ball. By “locate” it just means be within arms length...that often involves touching the WR in some way AND ITS LEGAL for the cb to do this as long as the cb doesn’t alter the WR’s path or restrict their arm. No such thing happened in the PI call on Stingley.

Sauce’s technique often is to put his hand on the WR’s shoulder pad or chest area and then turn and locate the ball in the air.

At best it was a questionable call b/c the ball wasn’t really catchable. The ref bought OBJ flopping and complaining as well as the crowd reacting to OBJ’s flop…b/c up until that point in the game you didn’t even know he was playing as he had 0 catches.

On a grading scale I give Cj an A-

the nfl isn’t a cakewalk for qbs

while Bryce faced a bottom 5 defense, he played horrible with 1td and 2 picks resulting in scores and under 150 passing yds

Cj played pretty and should have had a td or 2. His accuracy led us into the red zone twice but the ol brought us 3 steps back both times

Team scale everyone included from hc to place kicker is a B-

Thanks,

Seems like Stroud is going to get a baptism by fire. Part of the growing experience.

Not surprised by the poor OL play. What happened to Fant?

Stingley DID turn his head though. He actually turned it twice.

Dude it was too late. Your showing your Stingly bias. You are determined to present him as a top shelf corner when he is an average starter at this point. He isn’t Sauce, and he’ll never be Sauce. Maybe some day you can admit that Nick screwed the pooch.

It was PI. He was laughing because he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar imho.

Dude it was too late. Your showing your Stingly bias. You are determined to present him as a top shelf corner when he is an average starter at this point. He isn’t Sauce, and he’ll never be Sauce. Maybe some day you can admit that Nick screwed the pooch.

It was PI. He was laughing because he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar imho.

Bro stop. This has nothing to do with Sauce. I only used his technique as an example to dismiss this notion that Stingley got called for PI b/c he looked back too late after he made contact. Furthermore understand the rule. the db doesn’t actually have to look back.. they just teach that technique to cb’s to lessen the chance of being called for PI. Clearly you’re caught up & determined to confirm your bias against the guy. He gave up 1 rec. for 20 yards and you and others are locked in on 1 PI call.

… My “bias” is only with bad calls. Somebody needs to admit something about their bias, but it ain’t me.

Last edited:
Thanks,

Seems like Stroud is going to get a baptism by fire. Part of the growing experience.

Not surprised by the poor OL play. What happened to Fant?
Stroud had some nice completions, particularly to Collins. But his accuracy, which is a strong aspect of his game, was gone on many plays when under pressure. He had some really bad throws to go with his good ones. The commentators also mentioned he failed to see/find open receivers on several plays. I don't have all 22 so can't confirm, but at one point in the game I felt he was flustered by the pressure. I haven't rewatched the game, and Stroud had some good pocket moves on several plays, but there were other plays his pocket presence was not so good.

I would say, based on just one game, jury is still out.

Stroud had some nice completions, particularly to Collins. But his accuracy, which is a strong aspect of his game, was gone on many plays when under pressure. He had some really bad throws to go with his good ones. The commentators also mentioned he failed to see/find open receivers on several plays. I don't have all 22 so can't confirm, but at one point in the game I felt he was flustered by the pressure. I haven't rewatched the game, and Stroud had some good pocket moves on several plays, but there were other plays his pocket presence was not so good.

I would say, based on just one game, jury is still out.
He's gotta learn. I'm hoping he will learn how to deal with pressure better. DC's are going to speed up his clock will he learn is the question?

Bro stop. This has nothing to do with Sauce. I only used his technique as an example to dismiss this notion that Stingley got called for PI b/c he looked looked back after he made contact Furthermore understand the rule. the db doesn’t actually have to look back.. they just teach that technique to cb’s to lessen the chance of being called for PI. Clearly you’re caught up & determined to confirm your bias against the guy. He gave up 1 rec. for 20 yards and you and others are locked in on 1 PI call.

… My “bias” is only with bad calls. Somebody needs to admit something about their bias, but it ain’t me.
This is correct.

my quote and post say NOTHING about contact...only that the DB does NOT HAVE TO TURN HIS HEAD (shielding is no longer PI in the NFL) when defending a pass.
There is no argument there, but the not having to turn the head was brought up to support that there was no PI..........that was using only half the explanation of the rule.

There is no argument there, but the not having to turn the head was brought up to support that there was no PI..........that was using only half the explanation of the rule.
yeah, i didnt see the game so I cant say whether there was contact or not or input my opinion on if it was PI or not...was only clarifying that shielding is no longer PI and that the defender is no longer required to turn his head.

Back