Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans vs Ravens Week 1 Game Thread

Hey if the Lions can beat the Chiefs on opening night....then we have a fighters chance at an upset against the ravens and their new OC and new offense of trying to make LJ a pocket passer. Sucks Jimmy wont be out there on the back end making sure everyone is aligned correctly though. Hope Pitre can make it happen. WAJr is gonna have to wreck the Oline like hutchinson did last night.

I predicted the Lions 24-20 last night. I was very close. The Lions are no joke, and with no Kielce, the KC receiving core looks very ordinary at best. It was a mild upset, but nothing like a Texans victory at Baltimore. that’s a way higher mountain to scale. Anything is possible but I’d be absolutely stunned if the Texans pull it off. 27-10 Baltimore imho.

I predicted the Lions 24-20 last night. I was very close. The Lions are no joke, and with no Kielce, the KC receiving core looks very ordinary at best. It was a mild upset, but nothing like a Texans victory at Baltimore. that’s a way higher mountain to scale. Anything is possible but I’d be absolutely stunned if the Texans pull it off. 27-10 Baltimore imho.
I went back just in the nick of time to change my pick. Had a feeling the Lions would win.

Both teams have injuries and will be missing key pieces in our game....we'll have to see who adapts better and which team makes those momentum swinging plays. If we can stop the run and contain LJ in the pocket I think we have a good shot...as long as our makeshift Oline can give CJ at least a little time and protection.
1. Run the ball and control the clock
2. Quick slants to Dell and quick throws to Schultz with the occasional deep ball to keep the secondary honest should be a good recipe for a W.

Andrews being out would definitely do a lot to balance out the injury list a bit. Not gonna hold my breath though last I heard he was optimistic about playing.

Whats up with all the hammies?

Is this the DW effect? No one can have thigh massages and now the whole team suffers?

It would be a dream come true if we could scheme the offense the same as Kc does with Patrick. Short screens to tank, some trickery here and there and allowing our deep threats opportunities regularly but looking at our Oc I expect the same play style we used in the pass with Slowik west coast offense.
I don’t think we’re going to get off to a fast start. Ravens defense is pretty good, imo top 5. I know Demeco 49ers lost to them in a close game 21-20 3 years ago so I expect him to have an idea of how to shred their defense.

on the positive side we have a players coach and I expect our guys to play with passion and try their hardest. We can turn into superbowl contenders depending on how well Cj plays. Of course not this year. I don’t think we’re quite their yet but I expect our secondary to be the strongest core on our defense. I believe Will Anderson will have a monster rookie season

back to the ravens, I’ll say this.. if playmaker Lamar doesn’t show up, we will have a chance. I believe Demeco will blitz a lot and make Lamar rely on his arm. Lamar is a beast, no denying that but he isn’t the most accurate qb on deep passes. I want us to contain him in the pocket and sack him at least 4-5x times. Easier said than done but our defense on paper is underrated and adding a defensive minded coach in Demeco who had a consistent top 3 defense with the 49ers year in and year out, I expect the Texans to make huge leaps with the additions of some new talent on the defensive side. Also Jalen Pitre will become a superstar by week 12, book it. Cj will be fine, he’s a winner, led the fbs with 85 tds and 12 picks, 4th in heisman voting as a sophomore, 3rd as a junior, humble kid so he’s willing to learn, I see a lot of similarities between him and pat mahomes, his legendary career will start on Sunday. I hope we smoke the ravens. Will drop my prediction before the game

Last edited:
It would be a dream come true if we could scheme the offense the same as Kc does with Patrick. Short screens to tank, some trickery here and there and allowing our deep threats opportunities regularly but looking at our Oc I expect the same play style we used in the pass with Slowik west coast offense.
I don’t think we’re going to get off to a fast start. Ravens defense is pretty good, imo top 5. I know Demeco 49ers lost to them in a close game 21-20 3 years ago so I expect him to have an idea of how to shred their defense.

on the positive side we have a players coach and I expect our guys to play with passion and try their hardest. We can turn into superbowl contenders depending on how well Cj plays. Of course not this year. I don’t think we’re quite their yet but I expect our secondary to be the strongest core on our defense. I believe Will Anderson will have a monster rookie season

back to the ravens, I’ll say this.. if playmaker Lamar doesn’t show up, we will have a chance. I believe Demeco will blitz a lot and make Lamar rely on his arm. Lamar is a beast, no denying that but he isn’t the most accurate qb on deep passes. I want us to contain him in the pocket and sack him at least 4-5x times. Easier said than done but our defense on paper is underrated and adding a defensive minded coach in Demeco who had a consistent top 3 defense with the 49ers year in and year out, I expect the Texans to make huge leaps with the additions of some new talent on the defensive side. Also Jalen Pitre will become a superstar by week 12, book it. Cj will be fine, he’s a winner, led the fbs with 85 tds and 12 picks, 4th in heisman voting as a sophomore, 3rd as a junior, humble kid so he’s willing to learn, I see a lot of similarities between him and pat mahomes, his legendary career will start on Sunday. I hope we smoke the ravens. Will drop my prediction before the game
What has CJ ever won?

Big 10 Championship?

National Championship?

Cornhole championship?

Pickle ball championship?

Before you exercise?

Believe it or don't, but that's a whole rabbit hole in exercise physiology.

The most important thing to do is to warm your muscles up before hitting them hard. In some cases, stretching is good for that but in other cases, the stretching can weaken the muscle and hurt performance.

It comes down to choosing the best warmup routine for what you're about to do.

Believe it or don't, but that's a whole rabbit hole in exercise physiology.

The most important thing to do is to warm your muscles up before hitting them hard. In some cases, stretching is good for that but in other cases, the stretching can weaken the muscle and hurt performance.

It comes down to choosing the best warmup routine for what you're about to do.
That's why I used the term 'properly'

Correct.
Stretching forces the muscle to contract back to normal. It actually tightens instead of loosens. Warming the muscle up, getting blood flow, is the proper way to loosen up.
I must be using the wrong term. I thought you did light stretching to loosen the muscles up so you could warm them up for strenuous exercise. Kinda like when we had to do jumping jacks and stuff back when before running. You did light stretching first,

Correct.
Stretching forces the muscle to contract back to normal. It actually tightens instead of loosens. Warming the muscle up, getting blood flow, is the proper way to loosen up.
Every football game and practice I've seen, the players are out early stretching to limber up

Correct.
Waiting for CnD to weigh in on this.

This is contrary to what we did when I was younger.

Every football game and practice I've seen, the players are out early stretching to limber up
Yep. And it's not the correct way to do it.
I believe we've discussed it here before and Doc confirmed.

And from personal experience, when I used to run, I'd tweak a hammy almost every time I ran and I did the stretching beforehand because that's how I was taught. Frustrated as to why I kept having hamstring issues I learned about warming the muscle up with light exercise is the way to go. Stretching is as I said previously. It stretches the muscle out and the muscle automatically tries to get it back to it's regular shape by contracting (tightening up), which is opposite of what you're trying to do. After I stopped stretching and warming up instead, I never had another hamstring issue.

I don't know if you've ever done P90 or any program like that before, but they don't have you stretching beforehand. It's light jogging, moving whatever muscle group you're into that day to warm up.

Stretching may be beneficial after workouts and such, but not before. I don't know why we live in a world where stretching is still the go to. Especially in a business like professional sports. Would explain all the injuries we see over and over though.

And of course you've got to stay properly hydrated as well.

Oh... sure... I pose a semi joke question wondering if maybe its training staff issues since there is a hamstring theme and it starts a long discussion of "stretching good or bad".

When I pose the question about how many licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop.... nothin..

Am I the only person on Earth with real priorities?

Forget it, I'm going back to the woods to ask Mr Owl again.

Oh... sure... I pose a semi joke question wondering if maybe its training staff issues since there is a hamstring theme and it starts a long discussion of "stretching good or bad".

When I pose the question about how many licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop.... nothin..

Am I the only person on Earth with real priorities?

Forget it, I'm going back to the woods to ask Mr Owl again.
Superb!

To be fair, people were still trying to grasp the concept of the wheel back then.
No telling how many back strains and hammies were impacted rolling that wheel without warming up their muscles. We would probably have been better if it was never invented. Reminds me of an Oreo and everyone knows that isn't good for you.

What has CJ ever won?

Big 10 Championship?

National Championship?

Cornhole championship?

Pickle ball championship?
Dang I can’t be excited for our qb? All honesty, the same can be said for Patty Mahomes. What has he won in college? also winning college championships doesn’t translate to nfl success. (Tebow, Young, etc).

Here’s a list of cj accolades

• 1st in Big Ten single-season passing yards in Big Ten games (3,193)
  • 1st in Big Ten single-season passing touchdowns in Big Ten games (34)
  • 1st in Big Ten career passing efficiency (182.39)
  • 1st in Ohio State single-game passing yards (573)
  • 1st in Ohio State single-game passing touchdowns (6)
  • 1st in Ohio State single-season completion percentage (71.9)
  • 1st in Ohio State single-season passing yards per game (290.1)
  • 1st in Ohio State single-season 300-yard passing games (9)
  • 1st in Ohio State career 300-yard passing games (15)
  • 1st in Ohio State single-season 400-yard passing games (5)
  • 1st in Ohio State career 400-yard passing games (5)
  • 1st in Ohio State single-season passing efficiency (186.6)
  • 1st in Ohio State career passing efficiency (182.39)
  • 1st in Ohio State single-game total offense (583)
  • 1st in Ohio State single-season total yards per season (367.9)
  • 1st in Ohio State career total yards per season (294.9)
  • 1st in Rose-Bowl passing yards (573)
  • 1st in Rose-Bowl passing touchdowns (6)
  • 1st in Rose-Bowl total yards (583)
  • 1st in Rose-Bowl total touchdowns (6)
  • 1st in Rose-Bowl points responsible for (36)

Dang I can’t be excited for our qb? All honesty, the same can be said for Patty Mahomes. What has he won in college? also winning college championships doesn’t translate to nfl success. (Tebow, Young, etc).

Here’s a list of cj accolades

• 1st in Big Ten single-season passing yards in Big Ten games (3,193)
  • 1st in Big Ten single-season passing touchdowns in Big Ten games (34)
  • 1st in Big Ten career passing efficiency (182.39)
  • 1st in Ohio State single-game passing yards (573)
  • 1st in Ohio State single-game passing touchdowns (6)
  • 1st in Ohio State single-season completion percentage (71.9)
  • 1st in Ohio State single-season passing yards per game (290.1)
  • 1st in Ohio State single-season 300-yard passing games (9)
  • 1st in Ohio State career 300-yard passing games (15)
  • 1st in Ohio State single-season 400-yard passing games (5)
  • 1st in Ohio State career 400-yard passing games (5)
  • 1st in Ohio State single-season passing efficiency (186.6)
  • 1st in Ohio State career passing efficiency (182.39)
  • 1st in Ohio State single-game total offense (583)
  • 1st in Ohio State single-season total yards per season (367.9)
  • 1st in Ohio State career total yards per season (294.9)
  • 1st in Rose-Bowl passing yards (573)
  • 1st in Rose-Bowl passing touchdowns (6)
  • 1st in Rose-Bowl total yards (583)
  • 1st in Rose-Bowl total touchdowns (6)
  • 1st in Rose-Bowl points responsible for (36)
Man you would think we would have moved on past the wins are a QB stat thing.

Also should be pointed out that Stroud lead an offense that scored 41 on the best defense in college football. Also lead a 2 minute drive into field goal range which would have won the game had the kicker done their job. Just a silly argument altogether by steelb sadly

Man you would think we would have moved on past the wins are a QB stat thing.

Also should be pointed out that Stroud lead an offense that scored 41 on the best defense in college football. Also lead a 2 minute drive into field goal range which would have won the game had the kicker done their job. Just a silly argument altogether by steelb sadly
Exactly!! Forgot to mention the Georgia game. I believe if the kicker made the game winning field goal, our qb would be Bryce instead of Cj so I’m kind of happy he missed lol

Exactly!! Forgot to mention the Georgia game. I believe if the kicker made the game winning field goal, our qb would be Bryce instead of Cj so I’m kind of happy he missed lol
Funny thing is Im not even super optimistic about Stroud. There are good arguments against Stroud, he’s just making a bad one lol

Yep. And it's not the correct way to do it.
I believe we've discussed it here before and Doc confirmed.

And from personal experience, when I used to run, I'd tweak a hammy almost every time I ran and I did the stretching beforehand because that's how I was taught. Frustrated as to why I kept having hamstring issues I learned about warming the muscle up with light exercise is the way to go. Stretching is as I said previously. It stretches the muscle out and the muscle automatically tries to get it back to it's regular shape by contracting (tightening up), which is opposite of what you're trying to do. After I stopped stretching and warming up instead, I never had another hamstring issue.

I don't know if you've ever done P90 or any program like that before, but they don't have you stretching beforehand. It's light jogging, moving whatever muscle group you're into that day to warm up.

Stretching may be beneficial after workouts and such, but not before. I don't know why we live in a world where stretching is still the go to. Especially in a business like professional sports. Would explain all the injuries we see over and over though.

And of course you've got to stay properly hydrated as well.
All football teams used to always begin their workouts with stretching. When the muscles are not warm, they will tend to microtear and contract (tighten further) in reflex response to the microtrauma. Warming the muscles is pretty simple.........get the whole body's circulation going through putting muscles gently through dynamic full range of motion excercises like slow light running for ~ 5-15 minutes.................NOT holding in a static stretch as was taught for decades.

I'm traveling out of state.

If anybody has a stream, please share.

Thanks in advance.
Just look up buffstreams on google and follow the links. Been using it 2+ years now (with appropriate antivirus and Adblock) with no issues. Sometimes the stream will dies but a refresh fixes it. You will be 60 seconds behind live broadcast though

Just look up buffstreams on google and follow the links. Been using it 2+ years now (with appropriate antivirus and Adblock) with no issues. Sometimes the stream will dies but a refresh fixes it. You will be 60 seconds behind live broadcast though
Thanks; I'd look into it.

I couldn't be more ready for game 1. I don’t think we will win in all likelihood. They have a very solid team that has been together for years. However, I hope we win and that we play well no matter what.

I also want to see CJ do well and Anderson. Our OL needs to do its job to have any real chance of looking good on offense IMO. Get that run game going with Damien and the other RBs. And then we could possibly win the game.

Back