Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans vs Packers Preseason Game 1 Thread

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
hey I’ve been high on the kid since we drafted him. Nothing wrong with a little observation that was reported
Well, let's not get carried away with it now. Yes, he did show some flashes, particularly on 3rd down, and yes, it's his 1st ever pro game, but the numbers weren't really all that good when it was all said and done. 50% completions. 1 drop by Jordan, but a couple of real stinkers on some short throws, and of course the pick. We'd be killing most QBs with a 46 passer rating. And keep in mind this was mostly against 2's and 3's. So dude has got a LONG way to go still.

On another note, how about the return game? 18.2 yard average on punt returns, and maybe more importantly, not one single return was called back because of a penalty. That may be the biggest surprise of the game for me.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
Alot of bad throws to wide open receivers from mills then a great throw, hopefully just nerves from his 1st NFL action
yes.. plus I'd add the suspended college season, He had glaring gimme misfires.. However, after watching him tonight.. I can easily see why people think/thought if he just returned for a full season, he'd be a highly drafted QB. He definitely has all the physical tools.

Last edited:

TexansFight

Veteran
Watching the condensed game this morning. Pleasantly surprised with the performances on both sides of the ball. I liked how Pep Hamilton, who is the real OC of this team despite Tim Kelly’s title, had a game plan playing into the strengths and Davis Mills’ experience. Mills had several crappy passes put had a few decent ones to keep drives alive. Lots of slants, quick hitches and other quickly developing pass plays unlike buttchin’s idiocy. Jeff Driskel wasting a roster spot at QB with this team is infuriating. Get someone who was some upside instead of guy who has a hard time hitting open receivers on one on one drills.
Lovie’s defense was everything RAC’s defense wasn’t last season - competent, stopping the run, creating turnovers and attacking the ball carrier. Special team coverage and returns were both good as opposed to the usual Texans standard of awful. I don’t like Culley at all as a HC. He sounds like a moron with not much upstairs and I’m still pissed we ended up with him when we could have had elite brainpower like Joe Brady and Public Bieniemy. Looks like the staff at least is competent.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Well, let's not get carried away with it now. Yes, he did show some flashes, particularly on 3rd down, and yes, it's his 1st ever pro game, but the numbers weren't really all that good when it was all said and done. 50% completions. 1 drop by Jordan, but a couple of real stinkers on some short throws, and of course the pick. We'd be killing most QBs with a 46 passer rating. And keep in mind this was mostly against 2's and 3's. So dude has got a LONG way to go still.

On another note, how about the return game? 18.2 yard average on punt returns, and maybe more importantly, not one single return was called back because of a penalty. That may be the biggest surprise of the game for me.
No doubt. But I was responding to Tpan who thought I was being over critical of Mills play.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I understand it's the first for a makeshift offensive line, but watching that first series, QB protection was pretty good. Run blocking not so much.

It was good to see different linemen at different times reach the second level. Even though they reached the second level "on time" their blocks weren't very successful.

I did not see a run Lindsay or Johnson did not have to redirect.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
yes.. plus I'd add the suspended college season, He had glaring gimme misfires.. However, after watching him tonight.. I can easily see why people think/thought if he just returned for a full season, he'd be a highly drafted QB. He definitely has all the physical tools.
This was the first time I watched Mills other than youtube. My first impression was that he reminded me of Sage Rosenfels. Good size, has zip on the ball, can move well. Inconsistent accuracy and a couple of brain farts. Sage was a vet when I saw him, Mills a rookie in his first preseason game. I've seen enough to know that I want to see more.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
This was the first time I watched Mills other than youtube. My first impression was that he reminded me of Sage Rosenfels. Good size, has zip on the ball, can move well. Inconsistent accuracy and a couple of brain farts. Sage was a vet when I saw him, Mills a rookie in his first preseason game. I've seen enough to know that I want to see more.
One thing that impressed me as a rookie, Mills averaged 2.3 seconds from snap-to-release on his dropbacks!

Dejaview

All Pro

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Of this year's 9 drafted QBs (the 10th Ehlinger hasn't played yet), Mills was 6th in completion percentage (50%) and 8th in passer rating (46). And none of the 9 were as bad as Driskel.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
One thing that impressed me as a rookie, Mills averaged 2.3 seconds from snap-to-release on his dropbacks!
Glad you guys had the chance to see the future franchise QB of your, Houston Texans, grow in his first game action in almost two years.

One thing that hurts, him more than me, were a couple hard shots up the middle. That showed he’s tough, can take a shot, looks like a string bean out there, hit the weight room and we might really have something?

Would also like to commend Culley for limiting Tyrod Taylor’s workload. One series was very smart. That’s the kind of attention to detail that can keep him ready come week one. Still not sold on this offensive line and putting him in there without starting OT’s a recipe for disaster.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Glad you guys had the chance to see the future franchise QB of your, Houston Texans, grow in his first game action in almost two years.

One thing that hurts, him more than me, were a couple hard shots up the middle. That showed he’s tough, can take a shot, looks like a string bean out there, hit the weight room and we might really have something?
Would also like to commend Culley for limiting Tyrod Taylor’s workload. One series was very smart. That’s the kind of attention to detail that can keep him ready come week one. Still not sold on this offensive line and putting him in there without starting OT’s a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I understand it's the first for a makeshift offensive line, but watching that first series, QB protection was pretty good. Run blocking not so much.

It was good to see different linemen at different times reach the second level. Even though they reached the second level "on time" their blocks weren't very successful.

I did not see a run Lindsay or Johnson did not have to redirect.
Britt may have been the only starting OL in this game depending on how you feel about Scharping.

No Tunsil, Howard, Cannon or Taylor.

banned1976

sleeper mode

Should I put you down as undecided on Mills, then?

I believe they had a goal in mind for Taylor and the offense and once the goal was reached, out he came. Whether the goal was achieved in the first series, second, maybe even third, that was the intended plan, to keep him in until mission accomplished. Which was a scoring drive. If not for David Johnson's 3rd down -1 yard carry, I believe that first drive would have ended with 7 on the board.

On that third down and 1 yard to go carry by Johnson, that was a terrible play call by Kelly. Bad play call, wrong running back in that situation (Johnson was coming off the bench cold while Lindsay had already five carries on the drive), poor blocking, and bad decision on subsequent play to kick the field goal. It was a preseason game. What's the harm in keeping your first team offense in to let them have another crack at it?

It's easy to look at the scoreboard and to echo Spencer Tillman "the Texans acquitted themselves" last night. But there's plenty to be critical about, too. Not a popular take today, I'm sure. Still, they have a lot to work out. That goes for both the players and coaching staff.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Packers rested 30 players.
How many did the Texans rested, anybody knows?

Well, since there are only 22 starters I guess they decided to give most of the backups a night off too.

A good number of Texans starters either sat out or only played the 1st series.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Watching the condensed game this morning. Pleasantly surprised with the performances on both sides of the ball. I liked how Pep Hamilton, who is the real OC of this team despite Tim Kelly’s title, had a game plan playing into the strengths and Davis Mills’ experience. Mills had several crappy passes put had a few decent ones to keep drives alive. Lots of slants, quick hitches and other quickly developing pass plays unlike buttchin’s idiocy. Jeff Driskel wasting a roster spot at QB with this team is infuriating. Get someone who was some upside instead of guy who has a hard time hitting open receivers on one on one drills.
Lovie’s defense was everything RAC’s defense wasn’t last season - competent, stopping the run, creating turnovers and attacking the ball carrier. Special team coverage and returns were both good as opposed to the usual Texans standard of awful. I don’t like Culley at all as a HC. He sounds like a moron with not much upstairs and I’m still pissed we ended up with him when we could have had elite brainpower like Joe Brady and Public Bieniemy. Looks like the staff at least is competent.
Not going to agree on the Culley portion of the post. I believe Culley is the right HC for this team, right now. He had all these new faces prepared to play football last night…from the potential starters to the last guys out there. They all played their arses off. It looks as though the team is buying what Culley and his staff are presenting…ducking refreshing!!!!

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Packers played 57 players, Texans played 67.
Potential (most likely) Packers with 10 fewer players who are either starter or in the main rotation?

For example, I read that Shaq Lawson played well into the third quarter. (From a Texans site).

Not sure I want to spend time rewatching the game and look at the players in detail, but it looks to me like the Packers have a good number of players that don't have anything to prove so they get the night off while the Texans need to see more of their guys???

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Not going to agree on the Culley portion of the post. I believe Culley is the right HC for this team, right now. He had all these new faces prepared to play football last night…from the potential starters to the last guys out there. They all played their arses off. It looks as though the team is buying what Culley and his staff are presenting…ducking refreshing!!!!
OB won 3 of 4 PS openers from '15-'18.

Yes the Texans reserves played better than the Packers reserves, but here we go again putting way too much stock into winning a practice game that is in no way, shape or form played like a regular season game. About half the players who played last night will be looking for work in about 2 weeks. Last night was not the Houston Texans you will see on Sept. 12.

Several positives from last night's game that several have pointed out, including myself with remarks about the return game. The run D was superb. they forced 3 turnovers. The o-line protected the QBs well, and started opening up holes for the run in the 2nd half.

But there were plenty of negatives to take away from that game as well, like most of that was against the Packers 2's and 3's, especially the uptick in the run game in the 2nd half. Though Mills showed flashes, particularly on some 3rd downs, his numbers were horrible. Again against 2's and 3's. Jordan Love completed 70% of his passes against the Texans secondary.

Like I said somewhere, I think really early on in this thread, the outcome of the game is of little concern. These games are about individuals playing well, showing flashes and getting more consistent. Mills, showed some flashes, but was very inconsistent. Scottie Phillips had a slow start, but picked it up in the 2nd half (against lesser competition). He's a guy that I believe will have a hard time cracking the squad because of Lindsay, Johnson, Ingram and Burkhead in front of him. Of course, I'd take Phillips and make DJ one of the 1st 5 cuts in a heartbeat.

All the combinations of the o-line played well and gives you some hope, but again against lesser competition so it's hard to judge. And the most impressive thing to me last night was the return game. Especially having big returns that weren't getting wiped out with penalties. And that's where I'll give Culley some credit is that he had these guys committing very few penalties.

But let's not ignore the negatives because that's what has to be worked on. I'm disappointed they settled for all of those FGs instead of getting some 4th down reps in. Again, the W/L record here means nothing. Getting the work in does mean something. I think that was a fail on Culley's part, especially on that 1st drive with a lot of the 1's in the game. Get the freaking reps in when the opportunity to do so is there.

Now it's on to the Cowboys and I know everybody wants to beat the Cowboys, but I couldn't care less in August. What I care about is Mills showing some improvement. The run D continuing to be stingy. Getting a pass rush going that despite a couple of sacks, they really didn't have much of. Getting those completion percentages against them down. Continue protecting the QB. Continue to give DJ just 1 carry per game, that's if he hasn't been cut by Tuesday. Just seeing who is going to keep showing flashes, improving their game, and making this team, because 37 of these guys aren't making it.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Potential (most likely) Packers with 10 fewer players who are either starter or in the main rotation?

For example, I read that Shaq Lawson played well into the third quarter. (From a Texans site).

Not sure I want to spend time rewatching the game and look at the players in detail, but it looks to me like the Packers have a good number of players that don't have anything to prove so they get the night off while the Texans need to see more of their guys???
Come on 76 it’s preseason and it’s football. Can we not enjoy what we saw last night ? Lol

I fear that when the games that count take place, we will come crashing back to earth. I hope I am wrong.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Did mine and my wife’s finishing hers. This is the last folks and then we’ll fine be back in Atascocita on a full-time basis. This last move took the most out of us but also set the table for easy home visits and finally a permanent arrival home. Really looking forward to this final step.

Also, will be following tonight’s game and looking forward to the in-game chatter here on TT.
Can't wait to you get back to the big A! My part of town. Maybe we can get some members together for breakfast or something. @OptimisticTexan

Dejaview

All Pro
Well, since there are only 22 starters I guess they decided to give most of the backups a night off too.

A good number of Texans starters either sat out or only played the 1st series.
Yep. We left a lot of our future starters and major contributors at home or on the sideline early in the first quarter. What was the implication of that article…that the Texans starters played significant minutes? What starters? Texans don’t even know who they are yet and they have only been together since TC, not a few seasons. So the Packers OL was resting? That explains 47 yards rushing? What about the 174 yards Texans backups behind OL backups layed on the Packers D? And in Green Bay. DC earlier made the comment that he wants a D that takes away the will of an offense. Seems to have worked this game. My takeaway is that I saw a system on both sides of the ball that the Texans can build into going forward.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Nice defensive stop to start the game. Really nice drive by Taylor and the offense only to be stopped by a David Johnson -1 yard run on 3rd and 1. Should’ve been an offensive TD the way the offense was clicking.
Yes, they should have had Lindsey in or thrown a screen. The defense saw that run comics. And Johnson is a great receiver so a fake to a screen would have been a better play. The front 7 was not ready for a screen.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I agree. If he is able to sit behind Taylor and learn I think he is going to be good. How good depends on IF he is allowed to sit and learn and how GOOD/BAD the QB coach (Pep is highly respected) and OC are in the season IF he is allowed to sit and learn.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Yep. We left a lot of our future starters and major contributors at home or on the sideline early in the first quarter. What was the implication of that article…that the Texans starters played significant minutes? What starters? Texans don’t even know who they are yet and they have only been together since TC, not a few seasons. So the Packers OL was resting? That explains 47 yards rushing? What about the 174 yards Texans backups behind OL backups layed on the Packers D? And in Green Bay. DC earlier made the comment that he wants a D that takes away the will of an offense. Seems to have worked this game. My takeaway is that I saw a system on both sides of the ball that the Texans can build into going forward.
You're right. We're going to win the Super Bowl boys.... yeeeeee haaaaa

badboy

Hall of Fame
Our potential starters are better than GBs third stringers.
our back up guys looked pretty good against their back up guys also: Christian, Heck, Mills, Lonnie Johnson, Scottie Phillips[13 for 66 @ 5+ and 4 for 23 receiving], Darrius Jackson 5 for 37 @ 7.4 and a 25 yard TD. Greenard put Love out with a strip sack that was recovered. Jaleel Johnson recovered two fumbles + Tremon Smith had two tackles and an INT.
Our round three back up QB compared okay IMO to their round one QB and ours managed to reman on field..

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Just curious, did the Packers not play their arses off? Are they no good? Should they start looking for a new coach?
I don’t think anyone stated the Packers didn’t play hard. The Texans showed up ready to play at every level…..that has zero reflection on the Packers.

On a side note….I read on Packers talk that they had 30 veterans sitting for the first game whereas the Texans rolled out a veteran laden team…..pass the crack pipe.:)

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
It's easy to look at the scoreboard and to echo Spencer Tillman "the Texans acquitted themselves" last night. But there's plenty to be critical about, too. Not a popular take today, I'm sure. Still, they have a lot to work out. That goes for both the players and coaching staff.
Yea after this brutal offseason with the whole Watson fiasco nothing wrong with being a little celebratory after a respectable effort in the 2021 preseason opener.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Do you know how many regular season openers O'Brien won? Can't imagine too many since he was swapping QBs or shuffling OL by halftime.
But that's my point. Winning a preseason game, looking prepared and everything we're saying today about last night, means nothing when it comes to week 1. The week 1 team we'll see on Sept. 12 didn't see more than a handful of snaps last night, some saw none. The week 1 team the Packers will have looks nothing like what was out there last night. It's like the Astros AAA team playing the Brewers AAA team. The result means nothing for the parent club, other than saying hey, this is a guy we should call up to the Big Leagues, or this David Johnson guy needs to be DFA'd.

You're right. We're going to win the Super Bowl boys.... yeeeeee haaaaa
I don't think that is his point. If I am correct it is that we won the game and no amount of rationale by those who expect the Texans to suck, and Packers fans looking to put lipstick on a pig, will take away the positive things we can can look to from a win. When you win it is only natural to find more good than bad, and when you lose it is only natural that you focus more on the negative and what needs to happen to turn things around.

I can see just the same that if we lost the game, all the I told you so fans and detractors would be pouring it on as if we lost a regular season game. Especially if the game was a blow out by a team like the Lions or Jaguars.

I agree that there is no reason for us to get our heads lost in the clouds over winning our first preseason game. However, I prefer to feel good about a preseason victory and place more emphasis on the positives than to focus on the negatives after a loss. Especially a blow out loss.

Let the coaching staff work on what needs to take place to get us more prepared for the regular season.

Last edited:

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
But that's my point. Winning a preseason game, looking prepared and everything we're saying today about last night, means nothing when it comes to week 1. The week 1 team we'll see on Sept. 12 didn't see more than a handful of snaps last night, some saw none. The week 1 team the Packers will have looks nothing like what was out there last night. It's like the Astros AAA team playing the Brewers AAA team. The result means nothing for the parent club, other than saying hey, this is a guy we should call up to the Big Leagues, or this David Johnson guy needs to be DFA'd.
I don't disagree with that.

This is just the first pre-season game and it means absolutely nothing. Spot on.

BUT.

After last year and everything that's gone down since the end of last season, I expected this team to look much, much worse.

This isn't "Yay! We won! We're going to be awesome!"; this is "Wow. We didn't continually shoot ourselves in the feet, run around not knowing what the play was, and look like we couldn't field a team that could beat a college team." We may still go 0-17, but at least we didn't come out and embarrass ourselves last night. That doesn't mean jack for the regular season. It just means that they exceeded my expectations for them last night. Nothing more.