Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Training Camp 2016

Well damn. Had imagined a whole sort of thing already. This just sounds like adopt-a-highway, then.
pretty much, but without having to actually do any real work
:)

Edit: well, the premise is that you have a preference for the adapted player and
keep up with his progress over the others at his position and feel free to "bang his drum" when you deem it necessary.

Last edited:
"...But three weeks after Osweiler got the big bucks to become a Texan, Weeden re-upped here. He saw it as a no-brainer, he explained this week as the Texans prepared for Sunday's preseason opener against San Francisco at Santa Clara, Calif...

...(Osweiler's signing) was a big part of the reason I decided I wanted to come back here," Weeden said. "Brock is extremely smart, extremely intelligent. And being around him, you can tell he's been learning from one of the best ever. Also, I knew him personally. I respected him, and I've always liked his personality and his demeanor. He's a great guy, a stand-up guy...."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...Weeden-in-comfort-zone-as-No-2-QB-9136651.php

"...But three weeks after Osweiler got the big bucks to become a Texan, Weeden re-upped here. He saw it as a no-brainer, he explained this week as the Texans prepared for Sunday's preseason opener against San Francisco at Santa Clara, Calif...

...(Osweiler's signing) was a big part of the reason I decided I wanted to come back here," Weeden said. "Brock is extremely smart, extremely intelligent. And being around him, you can tell he's been learning from one of the best ever. Also, I knew him personally. I respected him, and I've always liked his personality and his demeanor. He's a great guy, a stand-up guy...."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...Weeden-in-comfort-zone-as-No-2-QB-9136651.php

What does this really mean??

I'm happy to be a back up??
I think the dudes gonna fail??

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

I took it at face value... like maybe he's just being truthful. Brock is a guy he likes and respects and would like to work with.

I took it at face value... like maybe he's just being truthful. Brock is a guy he likes and respects and would like to work with.
It could be exactly this!

Perhaps he realized there wasn't a team in the league where he was going to get a legitimate shot to win a starting job (cuz there wuzn't). Some guys like the idea of being a mentor and recognizing they can have just as big an impact - or bigger - on the success of a team by helping someone else succeed and do well.

That, or he might think Osweiler will fall on his face.

Can I adopt Morgan W? :jail: :drool:

Morgan_Large.jpg

Thoughts?
Weeden is 32 years old. Savage will be gone after the 2017 season and if the Texans are smart, will trade him after the 2016 season. Brandon could finish his short career in football with a playoff caliber team as a capable backup. He's comfortable in the system and has a group of young, fast receivers to work with, perfect for his arm. This is a good situation for him and for the Texans.

Last edited:
Breeden is 32 years old. Savage will be gone after the 2017 season and if the Texans are smart, will trade him after the 2016 season. Brandon could finish his short career in football with a playoff caliber team as a capable backup. He's comfortable in the system and has a group of young, fast receivers to work with, perfect for his arm. This is a good situation for him and for the Texans.
TBH, I think it might be a good idea to try to move Savage this preseason if he and Os both perform well. We could get better value for a guy with two years on his contract vs. the possibility of being one and done wherever he went.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

TBH, I think it might be a good idea to try to move Savage this preseason if he and Os both perform well. We could get better value for a guy with two years on his contract vs. the possibility of being one and done wherever he went.

If Weeden performs as expected, I like the possibility. I stated a few days ago that I thought the battle for the #2 backup role was worth paying attention to. If both play well during the preseason, there would likely be some serious offers for a trade.

Savage has had one season where he played pretty poorly in very limited action before getting hurt, and another where he was hurt prior to the season and saw no playing time at all. I just don't see any way that a good preseason performance is going to convince any NFL team he's the possible solution to any sort of QB problem, and therefore, I don't see any way he has any trade value beyond a very low (6th or 7th round) pick.

At that price, I'd much rather keep a guy who's been through 3 off seasons and training camps under the current offensive system then trade him for next to nothing.

What makes sense for next offseason depends as much or more on what Osweiler does in 2016 than what Savage does or doesn't do, but again, if his value remains low because of lack of playing time, I think I'd rather keep him until we've got two full seasons of Osweiler to base a decision on.

If we lose him to free agency because it makes sense to keep Osweiler around, and essentially forfeit a 6th or 7th round pick in the process, so be it.

Savage has had one season where he played pretty poorly in very limited action before getting hurt, and another where he was hurt prior to the season and saw no playing time at all. I just don't see any way that a good preseason performance is going to convince any NFL team he's the possible solution to any sort of QB problem, and therefore, I don't see any way he has any trade value beyond a very low (6th or 7th round) pick.

At that price, I'd much rather keep a guy who's been through 3 off seasons and training camps under the current offensive system then trade him for next to nothing.

What makes sense for next offseason depends as much or more on what Osweiler does in 2016 than what Savage does or doesn't do, but again, if his value remains low because of lack of playing time, I think I'd rather keep him until we've got two full seasons of Osweiler to base a decision on.

If we lose him to free agency because it makes sense to keep Osweiler around, and essentially forfeit a 6th or 7th round pick in the process, so be it.
What would be your response if a team would offer a 2 or a 3; or maybe a LT, or another need position? But I agree, unless we got value, we should hang on to him, for at least this season.

What you say makes complete sense when put in perspective.

But...in the unlikely event that a desperate team comes knocking with a third, I'd move him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using Tapatalk

I agree, for the most part. Savage will most likely be cut if we need the roster spot, keeping an extra WR or RB... the thi king will be we can get him on the practice squad, or he'll be sitting around eating cheetos if we need him.

It could be exactly this!

Perhaps he realized there wasn't a team in the league where he was going to get a legitimate shot to win a starting job (cuz there wuzn't). Some guys like the idea of being a mentor and recognizing they can have just as big an impact - or bigger - on the success of a team by helping someone else succeed and do well.

I think that's exactly it. He knows he is not going to get another shot a being a starter. I think he likes this organization, the QBs seem to get along well and Brock treats the backups with respect. If you are stuck being a backup QB, sounds like the place you would want to be.

After the last 2-3 years I'm not sure I want to get rid of any of the 3 QB's. We may not have the best players at the position, but I really like the depth and think all 3 can be a starter in the NFL. Maybe not a top flight starter, but a starter, and they all have experience and various assets and that in itself is valuable.

If we're going to trade Savage, it better be for something good, not just a 4th rounder which is nothing but trading what we paid. A high 2nd? Now I might be interested but even that - I'm wavering on. It would take a 1st for me to give a for sure yes....or even better a high quality starter where we need it - DE, RT, TE come to mind.

Honestly, I'd feel better with Savage on the roster holding a clipboard. This is a damn good team, and leaving it to the likes of TJ Yates again doesn't thrill me.

What would be your response if a team would offer a 2 or a 3; or maybe a LT, or another need position? But I agree, unless we got value, we should hang on to him, for at least this season.
First, I don't know what the coaching staff and front office think of him, so it's a little tough for me to say with any certainty what I'd do.

Secondly, there's no way in the world anyone's going to do that no matter how well he performs in preseason action.

Third, if hell froze over and it played out like this, knowing what I know (or more correctly, not knowing what the Texans know), yeah, I'd do it. I'd also trade Chris Clark for Tyron Smith because I see the likelihood of that being about the same.

I think the key to blitzing is to keep the offense guessing where it is coming from. If you can do that, even when you don't blitz, they may be rattled.
I think for 3-4 to work (and I like that defense) your Nose has to eat up more than one lineman or be a threat to consistently beat the one blocker and disrupt QB. We don't have that. Occasionally Wilfork can beat one but not consistently. I would be okay with Nose clogging middle and stopping run with our ILBs, but that was a weakness last season.

Car? Bike? Just guessing here.

A boy named Sue. A boxer pup. He's cute and all but chicks just love him. Not going to argue with that. My kids can sing every word of this song and that's where the name comes from:

Well, my daddy left home when I was three
And he didn't leave much to ma and me
Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze
Now, I don't blame him cause he run and hid
But the meanest thing that he ever did
Was before he left, he went and named me Sue

Well, he must o' thought that is quite a joke
And it got a lot of laughs from a' lots of folk
It seems I had to fight my whole life through
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named Sue

Well, I grew up quick and I grew up mean
My fist got hard and my wits got keen
I'd roam from town to town to hide my shame
But I made a vow to the moon and stars
That I'd search the honky-tonks and bars
And kill that man who gave me that awful name

Well, it was Gatlinburg in mid-July
And I just hit town and my throat was dry
I thought I'd stop and have myself a brew
At an old saloon on a street of mud
There at a table, dealing stud
Sat the dirty, mangy dog that named me Sue

Well, I knew that snake was my own sweet dad
From a worn-out picture that my mother'd had
And I knew that scar on his cheek and his evil eye
He was big and bent and gray and old
And I looked at him and my blood ran cold
And I said, "My name is Sue, how do you do
Now you're gonna die"

Well, I hit him hard right between the eyes
And he went down, but to my surprise
He come up with a knife and cut off a piece of my ear
But I busted a chair right across his teeth
And we crashed through the wall and into the street
Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer

I tell ya, I've fought tougher men
But I really can't remember when
He kicked like a mule and he bit like a crocodile
I heard him laugh and then I heard him cuss
He went for his gun and I pulled mine first
He stood there lookin' at me and I saw him smile

And he said, "Son, this world is rough
And if a man's gonna make it, he's gotta be tough
And I knew I wouldn't be there to help ya along
So I give ya that name and I said goodbye
I knew you'd have to get tough or die
And it's the name that helped to make you strong"

He said, "Now you just fought one hell of a fight
And I know you hate me, and you got the right
To kill me now, and I wouldn't blame you if you do
But ya ought to thank me, before I die
For the gravel in ya guts and the spit in ya eye
'Cause I'm the son-of-a-***** that named you Sue"

Well what could I do? What could I do?
I got all choked up and I threw down my gun
And I called him my paw, and he called me his son
And I came away with a different point of view
And I think about him, now and then
Every time I try and every time I win
And if I ever have a son, I think I'm gonna name him..
Bill or George! Any-damn-thing but Sue!

Sue has a hell of a lot to live up to. Elvis was the king afterall. Might as well start him out right

Last edited:
A boy named Sue. A boxer pup. He's cute and all but chicks just love him. Not going to argue with that. My kids can sing every word of this song and that's where the name comes from:

Sue has a hell of a lot to live up to. Elvis was the king afterall. Might as well start him out right

Hard to find a better wing man than a cute puppy. Love Johnny Cash, too.

Boy named Sue is probably Cash's most famous song. He had several songs that are basically stories told by singing. He was an amazing talent and is missed.

I'm really surprised by how many folks get the Sue. As if he wasnt already cute...

Boy named Sue is probably Cash's most famous song. He had several songs that are basically stories told by singing. He was an amazing talent and is missed.

A few years a go I took a road trip with a friend of mine who came to visit from Ukraine. I played him some Cash in the car, and he was very happy about his ability to follow the story in Don't Take Your Guns to Town and A Boy Named Sue.

Oh I'd go with Ring of Fire!
But June wrote that one. Great song.

A few years a go I took a road trip with a friend of mine who came to visit from Ukraine. I played him some Cash in the car, and he was very happy about his ability to follow the story in Don't Take Your Guns to Town and A Boy Named Sue.

Great Americana. Hope you took him to places that had more than happy meals.

Sue seems to know he is following Elvis. He's trying. Hard to explain but he knows. He desparately wants to be good.

None if it brings Elvis back.

But June wrote that one. Great song.

Great Americana. Hope you took him to places that had more than happy meals.

Sue seems to know he is following Elvis. He's trying. Hard to explain but he knows. He desparately wants to be good.

None if it brings Elvis back.

Oh yeah.

Forgot about that.

Ring of fire is a great song no doubt. I also love one piece at a time. Not nearly as famous as Sue but a really amusing story told as a song.

Anyway, who besides me is ready for some football. Even preseason football right now sounds great. Let's go Texans!

Back