Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Training Camp 2015

"thunderkyss said:
So JJ Watt doesn't play in preseason games & has a bed at work....

Everybody ok with this?"

If anyone deserves preferential treatment, it's that guy. Leave JJ alone

I suppose not everyone, but most of us understand the concept of earned perks.

Everybody ok with this?

The players job is more physically demanding than my job, and Id venture to say at least 95% of all the board members.

I take 15 minute naps at work at least 3 days a week to refresh my mind, and Im *much* more productive afterward (I even have a work pillow!). Id imagine the same is true for players. After hard physical practice, there is no way that my mind would be primed for the classroom without a nap to recharge.

Maybe you should try it sometime :)

"thunderkyss said:

Everybody ok with this?"

I suppose not everyone, but most of us understand the concept of earned perks.

If JJ Watt continues to do what he does on a football field, I don't give 2 shits what does off of it. Sorry, I don't give 2 poops.

That was all so much B/S

Agreed. Bill O'Brien is just like every other coach, including our old coach. That carp he came in with last year was bull... the same guys patting his back last year for putting team first are the same ones giving him kudos for putting the I in team this year.

Aaron Wilson ‏@AaronWilson_NFL
George Godsey on Derek Newton: 'We brought him back here for a reason. He has a coach me, coach attitude.'

George Godsey on offensive line: 'That's the strength of our team.'

George Godsey on Jaelen Strong: 'He showed up in shape and has improved daily. 21 days into camps we've seen some improvement.'

George Godsey on Jay Prosch: 'The fullback in any offense brings an element of toughness, if you do your job well. I think he has'

George Godsey on Brian Hoyer: 'He's been first-class in how he's handled everything.'

George Godsey on Brian Hoyer: 'He's been consistent.'

Romeo Crennel says he's identified better mobility from linebacker Brian Cushing, who's healthier this year

Romeo Crennel: 'We've got some pieces in place, if everybody can stay healthy, I think we can be competitive.'

Romeo Crennel on Kevin Johnson: 'They pick on rookies in the NFL. We'll see how he handles it when they try to pick on him.'

Romeo Crennel on Kevin Johnson: 'He's the right kind of young man, good attitude, competitive guy, has quickness.'

Romeo Crennel on Christian Covington: 'He's sharp as far as football goes. He's got a little knack on third down to get into the pocket.'

Romeo Crennel: 'I think Louis (Nix) has improved. He's working at it and improving.'

Romeo Crennel on Vince Wilfork: "I think Vince has still got it.'

Andre Hal and Eddie Pleasant are the primary competitors

Romeo Crennel on strong safety competition: 'I think it's going to go down to the wire. I think we've got a great competition going on.'

Romeo Crennel on Jadeveon Clowney: 'He's coming along. I think it's good. He enjoys being out there. He's excited.'

Bill O'Brien said Brian Hoyer will get the bulk of the workload on Sunday in New Orleans, third preseason game

Bill O'Brien on Alfred Blue, Kenny Hilliard, O'Brien glad LSU connection was brought up, said he will try to use it in talk with team.

Bill O'Brien on Brandon Deaderick: 'He's progressed. He flashes at certain things, pass rush, gotten better at playing the run.

Bill O'Brien on Godsey: 'George is a very bright guy. He did a lot of this stuff last year. He's got a good rapport with the players.'

Bill O'Brien on rookie tight end Khari Lee (Bowie State). 'He's much more than an impersonator.'

Bill O'Brien on his tight ends; "I think they've really improved.'

Bill O'Brien on whether Ryan Mallett will be back tomorrow at practice: 'I should think so.'

Bill O'Brien on Ryan Mallett; "That's between Ryan and I. That's a personal issue for him.'

Backup quarterback Ryan Mallett wasn't at practice today. Safety Lonnie Ballentine (hamstring) returned to practice​

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
Romeo Crennel on @wilfork75: "Vince has still got it. He can line up and make plays." #Texans

Bill O'Brien said 1st time he's thought bout Hilliard&Blue playing n home state.Might use that to help gain some yards&make Les Miles proud

Bill O'Brien says Ryan Mallett's absence from practice is a personal issue and he expects Mallett back at workout tomorrow.

QB Ryan Mallett was not on the field at #Texans practice. Waiting for word on that from the team.​

Dale Robertson ‏@sportywineguy
The Mallett mystery . . . The plot thickens. BOB didn't try to pass it off as being nothing important, which he could easily have.

George Godsey: Won't weigh in on the ups downs of 2014 for @bhoyer7 He's "taken and run with" what the Texans have given him.

George Godsey: LG Jeff Adams has been here the whole off season and put in the time. I like the way he thinks.

George Godsey: Calls yesterday's practice one of Jaelen Strong's best days. He made some plays.

George Godsey: We're still in training camp mode. Still evaluating players. Lots of decisions to be made in the next week.

George Godsey: Wants to see execution up front, staying on schedule and getting the ball to the open receiver.

George Godsey: Start OTAs from square one and build from there. Our goal by end of training camp is having everybody on the same page.

George Godsey on Fitzy saying he learned more under him and BOB: "We take pride in giving them the best tools."

George Godsey: Brian Hoyer has come in early, stayed late and done a good job of communicating with his teammates. He's been "first class."

RAC: Doesn't think regulars all have to play together in a preseason game. "They're together every day in practice."

RAC: If they do good, I'm excited. If they don't do good, I'm not excited.

RAC: @briancushing56 moving very well in this camp. That gives him a lot of confidence in how he plays the game.

RAC: Christian Covington has "a knack" for getting into the pocket.

RAC: Stevie Brown is in the competition at safety coming off ACL injury that ended his career with Giants.

RAC: Vince brings a lot of experience to the team. And thinks he's "still got it"

RAC: @clownejd is still a rookie in the aspect of his mental development as an NFL player.

RAC: Trainers let me know @clownejd can and can't do and we act accordingly.

RAC: @clownejd is coming along. The more he can do, the more we'll ask him to do.

RAC: Hoyer smart, does a good job of managing team.

BOB: Only thing that Sunday's game resembles to regular season are the "meetings and preparations"

BOB: @bhoyer7 "got a ton of reps today." Savage did too with Mallett not present.

BOB said he'll try to use that to motivate Blue and Hilliard. "Maybe it will help get us some yards" in New Orleans Sunday.

BOB answers @AaronWilson_NFL question about Blue-Hilliard by saying he'd forgotten about "the LSU connection."

But BOB added, I reserve the right to change my mind.

BOB if Mallett will return tomorrow, he hesitated but said yes. Said all 3 QBs will play vs. Saints.

BOB is here . . . Says Ryan Mallett missing practice is a personal issue.​

Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant
Godsey wants to run high number of plays on Sunday. Team still needs to evaluate players and will be making decisions in the next week. #Texans

Godsey on Jay Prosch: The fullback in any offense brings an element of toughness if you do your job well. I think he has. #Texans

OC Godsey on Hoyer: He's been consistent, shows up 1st everyday, taking coaching well, communication between players. "He's been 1st class."

Crennel sees improved movement in Brian Cushing this year. Says being able to move the way he wants has added to his confidence. #Texans

DC Romeo Crennel on Clowney: The more he can do, the more we'll ask him to do. He's not at that point yet, though. #Texans

The RB position is a very competitive one, per O'Brien. Everyone contributes to special teams too, Grimes, Blue, Polk, Hilliard. #Texans

George Godsey had a lot of game planning, game day responsibilities last year. This year as OC it's not much different role, O'Brien says.

As of today, O'Brien still plans on seeing all three QBs play vs. Saints, but adds that he reserves the right to change his mind. #Texans

Ryan Mallett was not at practice today. O'Brien: "That's between Ryan and I. It's a personal issue." #Texans​

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Romeo Crennel says he thinks Brian Cushing is enjoying moving the way he used to be able to move. #Texans​

O'Brien is asked about the LSU RBs going back to Louisiana. He hadn't thought of it til now. Wants to use it somehow for motivation.

O'Brien had said all 3 QBs would play Sunday. He said that is still his plan today but he reserves the right to change his mind. #Texans

Ryan Mallett was not at practice today. Bill O'Brien says it's a personal issue. #Texans​

Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew
"In his movement skills."-Crennel on what improvement he's seen most from ILB Brian Cushing.

"I think Vince has still got it."-Crennel on Vince Wilfork. "We're looking forward to having him out there in the regular season."

"We have a great competition going on at that position."-Crennel on S battle between Hal/Pleasant, for spot next to Rahim Moore.

Defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel at the podium now.

Said of Clowney: "The more that he can do, the more we will ask him to do.

"Chris Polk has held his own in the competition."-O'Brien on the veteran RB. #BangBangChickenAndShrimp

Bill O'Brien at the podium now. Ryan Mallett not at practice "because of a personal issue".​

Last edited:
Beginning to sound like Mallett just no-showed today...*** edit: see below

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Mallett is pissed.

It's going to be interesting to see how the team deals with a disgruntled quarterback moving towards week one.

Oh man.​

toropalm_zps2d1kw5ry.jpg

Last edited:
Beginning to sound like Mallett just no-showed today...

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Mallett is pissed.

It's going to be interesting to see how the team deals with a disgruntled quarterback moving towards week one.

Oh man.​

toropalm_zps2d1kw5ry.jpg

On Hard Knocks OB said he expects them all to act professional after the decision . Mallet's just failed another test and Savage will bump him .

On Hard Knocks OB said he expects them all to act professional after the decision . Mallet's just failed another test and Savage will bump him .

Not everything is a test. I know it's less dramatic and doesn't make for good message boards, but maybe he, I don't know, had an actual personal issue.

I know many will likely disagree, but I got no problem with him taking a day to get his head sorted. This meant the world to the guy by any reasonable account and it had to be heartbreaking.

NOT SAYING HE SHOULD STAND OFF CONTINUOUSLY IN PROTEST.

Just that it doesn't have to be the end of the world for him to rinse himself of the emotional investment in the outcome here. The HK involvement could no doubt would play into that as well.

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Mallett is pissed.

Oh man.​

toropalm_zps2d1kw5ry.jpg

Wow, if that's true, what a little baby. Glad he's not our starting QB, that's no way for a true professional to conduct himself in this situation.

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Mallett is pissed.

Oh man.​

toropalm_zps2d1kw5ry.jpg

I'm skeptical about this because he's been to a couple of practices post-decision. That said, if it's true it just confirms every reason for him getting killed in the pre-draft process and falling in the draft.

I know many will likely disagree, but I got no problem with him taking a day to get his head sorted. This meant the world to the guy by any reasonable account and it had to be heartbreaking.

NOT SAYING HE SHOULD STAND OFF CONTINUOUSLY IN PROTEST.

Just that it doesn't have to be the end of the world for him to rinse himself of the emotional investment in the outcome here. The HK involvement could no doubt would play into that as well.

No. He's a professional and he's being paid to act professional. I sympathize with his heartbreak, but no-showing work because you're not happy with your bosses has no excuse.

All this doesn't change the fact that Hoyer has not proven he can lead a team to the playoffs. I'm a give Hoyer a chance to prove himself this year with Houston but if he fails it's on O'brien... especially if Mallet comes in a balls out. Otherwise we had a chance to get Bridgewater and didn't do it.

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Mallett is pissed.

Oh man.​

toropalm_zps2d1kw5ry.jpg

SR610 just said he showed up late and OB sent him home. We don't know why he was late. If he was late because he was pouting and said "fk it" then that's a big deal. If he was late because ... well, it's Houston, then hey, stuff happens. He can't let that stuff happen, but it also doesn't mean he's a malcontent. Seems like the Texans could have handled the release of the news in a way that didn't make Mallett seem like a malcontent, unless that was their design.

No. He's a professional and he's being paid to act professional. I sympathize with his heartbreak, but no-showing work because you're not happy with your bosses has no excuse.

It certainly can. He's a human being. Give it just a minute.

See, just that easy.

I'm not concerned. BoB said it's between him and Mallett. I'm leaving it at that and not getting into this whole rumor.

...Being late and sent home is entirely different from intentionally skipping because you're ticked off.
I believe it was a combination of both, but as long as its a one day thing let's move on.

Ryan still is very likely to start games for us and the scenario could easily play out with him as "the hero" and securing his long-term deal as a starting QB after the season.

holy Sh** Storms.

First people crying over JJ having a bed in the facility when he practically lives there and the players are free to sleep at the facility during breaks. I'm sure there are plenty of places to put a bed if other players want to. The players had obviously scattered for their break time it's not important how they spend their breaks. Watt even says he's not the only one who uses the bed. Who gives a Sh**. It was an entertainment piece, for a show that is designed to FREAKING ENTERTAIN YOU. "Are you not entertained!" -General Maximus

Second, jumping to conclusions about malcontent and crucifying players immediately. Could it be true that he wasn't there because he was upset over the decision? Sure. IF true is it justified for him to be upset, yes and no, he feels he should have won, the decision was based off of practice many of which we didn't get the oppurtunity to see, at the end of the day he is a professional, so there is both sides that can clearly be argued for therefor I cannot fault him either way.

For me, it said a lot that O'Brien felt the need to tell Mallett that he expected him to be a professional about this and to continue to work as though he was going to start.

If Mallett's reasonably mature, he should have taken this in stride, but it looked to me like O'Brien was expecting some sort of emotional outburst from Mallett. And, to me, that could indicate exactly why Mallett didn't get the job.

I'd be willing to bet 90% of the time when the winner of a QB competition is announced the loser gets told to prep to start.

Where Mallett deviated from the norm was admitting he's angry.

I wonder if Mallett could have been late for legitimate reasons, then O'Brein said that's more important and sent him home to handle his stuff and just be back tomorrow.

Then OB's response that it was between him and Mallett was a polite way of saying "that's private between us. Dont ask me again. " The old its an A-B conversation so C your way out.

I'd be willing to bet 90% of the time when the winner of a QB competition is announced the loser gets told to prep to start.

It wasn't that OB told him to prep to start, it was that he underlined that everyone needed to act professional.

SR610 just said he showed up late and OB sent him home. We don't know why he was late. If he was late because he was pouting and said "fk it" then that's a big deal. If he was late because ... well, it's Houston, then hey, stuff happens. He can't let that stuff happen, but it also doesn't mean he's a malcontent. Seems like the Texans could have handled the release of the news in a way that didn't make Mallett seem like a malcontent, unless that was their design.

True. Though we're all viewing this through "we just watched him get cut on HK" glasses. As was mentioned, he had already been to two practices. It may have nothing to do with it at all. Maybe his baby mama showed up out of nowhere with a bunch of drama & OB let him go hand his business.

Who knows?

holy Sh** Storms.

First people crying over JJ having a bed in the facility when he practically lives there and the players are free to sleep at the facility during breaks.

I think I was the only one who voiced concern over Jj's bed. Not exactly crying. I asked if anyone had a problem with the bed & Jj not playing in our first two preseason games. I don't have a problem with it, but I think it conflicts with the high school "team" mentality OB brought with him last year. We had stars on this team before OB got here & most of them weren't the kind that would be asking for preferential treatment. If any of them had a bed at NRG, I didn't know about it (granted, I only know about it because of Hard Knocks). It wasn't Duane Brown who came up with the Segues. & I doubt it's uncommon to have mementos of a player's personal achievements in a locker room.

Again, whatever. It's not a big deal, in & of itself. But it doesn't look like those same principals have carried over to year two & my question was more about how you guys feel about that. I understand players Aren't the same. I understand a team is really a group of individuals. But remember last year we were hugging OB's nits because he was all about the team.

John McClain @McClain_on_NFL
Ryan Mallett missed practice cause he overslept but showed up later for meetings.

Will be at practice Friday, business as usual.

Texans will never admit it, but I guarantee you Mallett will be fined for oversleeping and missing practice. That's got to drive coaches crazy.​

90%? 10% of coaches tell the losing QB that they don't have a chance to start? I'd put that % at a whole lot closer to 99% Otherwise, it wasn't a true competition and the loser wasn't much better than the 3rd QB in the battle. Or the coach isn't very adept at choosing QB's or there is no real option.

What I meant was the other 10% just didn't mention prepping to start.
Still doesn't make sense. Why would a coach tell or expect the backup to not prep like a starter? That's just a ludicrous %. Maybe I'm not understanding your scenario, but a back up can be called in at any time. We all saw what a player looks like, when unprepared, when Savage and Manziel came in last year.

Still doesn't make sense. Why would a coach tell or expect the backup to not prep like a starter?

You keep turning it into an affirmative statement the other direction - not prep like a starter. There's a 3rd option - not mentioning prep at all.

"You're the starter. You're his backup. We think this is what's best for the team. We'll keep assessing that thru the season." Done.

You keep turning it into an affirmative statement the other direction - not prep like a starter. There's a 3rd option - not mentioning prep at all.

"You're the starter. You're his backup. We think this is what's best for the team. We'll keep assessing that thru the season." Done.
You keep replying like a dumbass newb. Dirkadirkadirka. "You're the starter. You're the back up. Prep like you're the backup." That doesn't happen on any NFL roster. Even those with Brady, Rodgers and Manning. Did Seegera hack your account?

You keep replying like a dumbass newb. Dirkadirkadirka. "You're the starter. You're the back up. Prep like you're the backup." That doesn't happen on any NFL roster. Even those with Brady, Rodgers and Manning. Did Seegera hack your account?

I gave you an hypothetical quote. Try reading it instead of making an ass out of yourself making one up for me. Hint - the word prep doesn't appear at all. Any attempt by you to stick it in there explicitly or implicitly is wrong.

His supposition is certainly plausible... that it's assumed the backup already knows to prep like a starter.

No need for the personal attack.

Back