Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Training Camp 2015

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Lonnie Ballentine was back on the field for the #Texans today.

"He's going to be good. He's going to be real good," DeAndre Hopkins on Kevin Johnson.

Bill O'Brien praised Kevin Johnson, Christian Covington, and Benardrick McKinney for having the right approach, being businesslike.
Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Mike Mohamed plugged the hole on 3rd & goal from the 1. Thumped the RB.

Texans goal line package is HUGE & talented. Houston fans will love this unit.

Keshawn Martin had a bad day. Dropped a screen from Mallett & then misplayed a perfectly located "go" ball from Mallett.

Mallett also had a few completions to Keith "Babyface" Mumphery today. Seriously, kid looks like he's 12 years old in the face.

Mallett caught a snap on a quick screen, didn't adjust the ball & fired out a bullet. Got rid of it so quick. Benefit of 10 3/4" hands

Watching 3 v 3 half line drills, concerned if Ben Jones can consistently get to combo blocks.

One of Grimes drops was on a great ball from Tom Savage on a corner-post over the hands of the LB in coverage

For the Chris Polk cult that's out there, he ran a sick route on McKinney in 1 v 1. Hard for any LB to cover it.

Hilliard also fielded KRs as the up-man with ease. His skill set on STs & in the backfield will add value to his 53 man discussion.

Kenny Hilliard doesn't only run hard, he can catch thru contact. ILB Tarp was all over him w/ PI on the route & Kenny still pulled it in.

Jason Ankrah may not be the team's best pass rusher but in drills he repeatedly set the edge perfectly.

Hoyer had a beautiful deep post to EZ that dropped in like a game of pitch and catch in 7 v 7s

TE McFarland was the hot name last week but he's still learning the nuances of being an NFL TE. Repeatedly not getting proper depth

Mallett did put one pass a little high in 1 v 1 to Graham. Garrett tipped it up w 1 hand & Stevie Brown picked it w 1 hand.

Maybe the best 1 v 1 rep that I saw from a DB was Corey Moore against Anthony Denham. Flawless coverage & stayed in position the whole route

Fiedorowicz & Mallett seemed to be on the same page today. Solid practice from CJ after a few practices that involved drops.

In 1 v 1 Mallett dropped a nice touch pass in to Fiedorowicz over McKinney & CJ made to 1 hand juggling catch.

Whitney Mercilus easily pulls off the OLBs drills. The other OLBs either getoff too slow or pads are way too high.

Chrisitan Covington has a suddenness to his moves during drills. Athletic big man

Grimes had a good 1 vs 1 rep against Mohamed. But had a few drops later in practice, including a TD pass from Hoyer on 3rd & goal

Some quick Texans' notes from today: Mallett hit Strong in hands then Jaelen allows Morris to poke it out.​

21 observations: #TexansCamp on Wednesday
John Harris|Texans Analyst

Wednesday’s workout, at least to start, seemed to have a Hard Knocks: The Day After sort of feel, but MAN, Wednesday’s real winner was the humidity.

Nearly unbearable at times near the end of practice, Mother Nature dominated the day. Most importantly, though, what about mere mortal, human types on Wednesday?

Here are some observations from the morning workout.

1. As mentioned earlier, it was the day after the premiere of Hard Knocks and it was an action packed first episode. I was down near field three doing a radio hit in Alabama when I heard the fans cheer loudly around 25 minutes before practice. As I talked, I surmised that JJ Watt had just run on the field. Nope. Head coach Bill O’Brien. If there’s one thing that he hates more than anything else, it’s the spotlight being on him and not the team. But, the fans love his fire and appreciate a quality leader when they see one. Hard Knocks gave them the opportunity to see it front and center on Tuesday night. They’re all just finding out what I’ve known for nearly 25 years (he’s going to kill me for mentioning this at all, so I’m moving on in the name of self-preservation).

2. Of course, Watt ran on the field to a raucous ovation as well (to be expected) and left the field well after everyone had left. On the way out, he photobombed Deepi Sidhu and myself recording for Texans 360. This was after spending nearly 30 minutes with two different families on the field, talking with two young kids and playing football with one little boy. Yeah, but he’s just worried about his image (that’s a tongue in cheek blast at those that questioned his sincerity after the first episode - you know who you are).

3. Practice eventually got going and it was Brian Hoyer’s day with the ones. They started the day with an 11-on-11 “coming out” drill. The ball was placed inside the ten yard line and the offense was forced to “come out” from...

Last edited:
tempBB1_8373--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

tempBB1_8324--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

tempBB1_8144--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

tempBB1_8605--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

tempBB1_8432--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

tempBB1_8611--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

--houstontexans.com

One thing I've noticed is that there has been very little comment on the candidates for kick return duties.

A closer look at Houston Texans day nine of training camp.
Patrick StarrOwner/Editor

Texans gave Johnathan Joseph and Nate Washington the day off today. Normal maintenance for the veterans.

Both Ryan Mallett and Brian Hoyer struggled all day throwing the football. Mallett was under the weather and was taken in early with little left in practice. He threw decent in one on one drills but the team portion of the day, it was filled with mishaps and inaccurate throws. He did have a good stretch where he connected well with Garrett Graham and C.J. Fiedorowicz. One thing that stands out about Mallett is his continued work on his touch throwing the ball. This has improved in that department since the spring sessions of practice.

As for Hoyer, it was one of his most uneventful days of the training for him. It was Hoyer’s day to run the offense and it was filled with inconsistent throws. With a few batted passes, Hoyer had some accuracy issues and just looked out of sync with the offense. This was easily the most down day for the quarterbacks during all of camp.

Jonathan Grimes returned today to the field after sitting out with an undisclosed issue. He continues to put together some solid work and is an asset in the passing game. He has the best vision of the healthy running back group and could be a viable option during preseason to prove he can help run the football consistently.

Darryl Morris continues to be part of the strongest group of the defense. Today he caused a fumble on rookie Jaelen Strong then scooped it up for a touchdown giving the defense plenty to cheer about. Morris is an impressive player with his suddenness in closing down routes and how physical he can play.

Rookie linebacker Benardrick McKinney’s strength is not in coverage but majority of his bad looks come in one on one drills. More of a reactionary drill, more times than not the defense is at the disadvantage. Things might even out when McKinney gets full teams on the field not allowing runningbacks and tight ends free releases to the linebackers. This was shown in team drills when McKinney dropped into coverage to pick off a pass deflected by John Simon. He has his the skills to be a solid addition for a long time with the Texans.

Practice situations make Damaris Johnson stand out, especially in one on one chances. He is to quick in open field and get defenders on their heels in a hurry in coverage. Kareem Jackson struggled with Johnson in coverage with the speed completing two nice catches against him. With the odds stacked against him, Johnson has plenty to over come on the field to make the roster.

The Texans continue to get Louis Nix caught up for the start of the preseason and enough reps for the season. He still has some work to do to get in football condition, but he is working through entire practices. Nix is a true plugger at the nose tackle and for the second day in row he put together some good work to prove he can help the defense.

The Texans goal line and short yardage defense is something to see. They have beef with big bodies up front and speed on the edges. Both Brian Cushing and Mike Mohamed played very physical behind that group. Mohamed had a nice hit on Alfred Blue in that team session getting the defenses attention. The defense is built to hold up at the point of attack and seeing it during the season is going to help in a situation they struggled in last season.

Center James Ferentz is helping out and today he filled in at fullback to give Jay Prosch a break from lead blocking. The center packed a little punch lead blocking but that is how the Texans are built, every chipping in anyway they can to help the team.

Alan Bonner, Chandler Worthy and Keith Mumphery took most of the work in kick returns today. This will be one of the focus points as pre-season progresses.

J.J. Watt only notched another would have been sack, he beat Duane Brown with a nice power move to get to Hoyer. The whistle blows pretty quick when Watt gets to the quarterback to protect them.

Nose Tackle Christian Covington had a nice hit on Chris Polk on a screen pass. The defense rushed Covington after the hit because it ended a drive for the offense. Covington is quietly putting together a nice camp and is showing he can be a change up from the interior with his size and quickness on the defensive line.

Lynden Trail is an interesting prospect for the Texans, he has the size and what you want in a NFL player. He lacks real strength in his upper body to be effective in his pass rush and is learning the position as he goes. If Trail is going to want to find his way on the team he is going to have to improve with his pass rush ability.

Wondering if Bernardrick and Demaris aren't two examples of practice not matching game play but heading in opposite directions. Bernardrick not looking great in 1 on 1 drills and then making plays with full teams/games. Demaris looking like he'll break ankles in practice and then dropping balls when there's a crowd.

Closed practice in the bubble today...

Saw something new from Blue. Showed a patient 1/2 speed, stop & start move, into acceleration. Sound familiar? It's what Arian's best at.​

Stevie Brown was sitting down in zone & Savage threw a ball leading Polk, right at Brown....Polk saw Brown, adjusted his depth & exploded towards the ball for a diving catch in front of Brown. Turned INT into catch.

The lack of depth at OT & the way the Texans would have to adjust if 1 of their top OTs went down is painfully obvious. Will see Saturday.

Jaelen Strong had a good hitch ran against Rolle. There was a little contact at the top of the route but doubt that gets called in a game.

Lonnie Ballentine had a great 1 on 1 vs CJ Fiedorowicz. Seeing him blanket the huge TE w/ his size was definitively promising​

Andre Hal was beat bad by Chandler Worthy on "Go" & Hoyer dropped the ball in perfectly.

Savage passes:
Beautiful back shoulder to Polk
Dime to Denham over Stevie on 30yd corner
Hit Graham perfect
Next play hits Fiedorowicz
Tom Savage
had the most impressive 1 on 1 session this entire offseason. Did some good things in 11 on 11 but nowhere close to as sharp

Anthony Denham crossed Rahim Moore twice in 1 on 1s. Solid route for the 2nd year guy

EZ had a great rep vs Kevin Johnson. Rare to get that much separation on KJ on hitch due to his route recognition.

Ryan Mallett threw a good out route to Hopkins who completely broke Joseph down, not D Hall bad but still bad.

I asked EZ after practice what the difference was today, he said he's just been studying film more & knows he has to step up....went on to say that he's focused on quick release & getting in & out of his breaks quicker. It showed today.

EZ really impressed me today. Sharp routes, explosive off the line, got up on the DB's toes quick. Asked OB about him in PC, funny response.

After the Hop drop... the next few reps from WRs were sloppy. Jaelen ran poor route, Jace drop, Labhart drop.

DeAndre Hopkins had a very rare drop today on a crosser vs air. No big deal, just odd to see, like a unicorn w/ a mullet.
PDS ‏@PatDStat
Quiet day today at camp. #Texans worked inside the bubble.

Bill O'Brien says he expects Ryan Griffin back next week. Griffin has been out with an undisclosed issue.​

#TexansCamp ‏@HoustonTexans
"Ben Jones has had a good camp. He really did a good job when he got back here for the conditioning test. I've really been pleased."

"I think he did have a nice game against us. They ran certain plays in Philly that we run. We could compare."--O'Brien on RB Chris Polk​

"I haven't seen anybody else try to sign him so I think that's a pretty good indication of where he stands" #Texans owner McNair on Ray Rice

I asked #Texans owner Bob McNair about Ray Rice. Said he probably wouldn't fit in this locker room & the 4 RBs here are better players.​

Rookie 610 reporter [Chris Myers] getting an exclusive. #Texans

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CMTFFZmUEAAgrT3.jpg

Aaron Wilson ‏@AaronWilson_NFL
Bob McNair said he doesn't know if Ray Rice would be a fit in locker room doesn't sound like he'll explore it, same thing sources have said

Bob McNair on Ray Rice 'we have four good running backs I don't know that he's better than them'​

James Starks ‏@JamesStarksKPRC
Bill O'Brien talking about how good it is to have Chris Polk on the team rather than playing against him.​

Adam Wexler ‏@awexler
NcNair added he hasn’t seen any other team try to sign Rice so that should be an indication of where he stands. (2 of 2)

#Texans Bob McNair on considering Ray Rice:”I’d have to talk to the guys in locker room, b/c it’s always about the team.” (1 of 2)

O’Brien said Ben Jones has had a good camp. Did a great job in offseason to get stronger.​

Last edited:
I asked #Texans owner Bob McNair about Ray Rice. Said he probably wouldn't fit in this locker room & the 4 RBs here are better players.
Wow. Straight up :swatter: that idea.

Yeah, that quote didn't make sense. I can't imagine McNair saying that.

Bob McNair on Ray Rice 'we have four good running backs I don't know that he's better than them'

Now that I can imagine him saying & I don't have a problem with it.

tempBB1_9101--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

Chris Polk
tempBB1_8986--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

tempBB1_9066--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

Jaelen Strong #11
tempBB1_9093--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

tempBB1_9012--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

Keith Mumphery #12
tempBB1_9047--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

Mike Vrabel working Carlos Thomson #44 with Lynden Trail #47, Jason Ankrak #91, Koutnei Brown #48

Texans Camp Confidential: Thursday (8/13)
Cody Stoots

>>>Brian Cushing and Vince Wilfork had what looked to be veteran days off. They had their jerseys but no helmets. Ryan Griffin missed today. Xavier Su’a-Filo is wearing a boot on one of his feet. Bill O’Brien confirmed the guard was injured in his post-practice media session.

>>>The team practiced in the bubble today.

>>>Ryan Mallett was erratic today as he took snaps with the first team. He missed some easy throws and missed deep on some long throws. He settled in a little in the middle of practice but again missed some throws in red zone drills.

>>>Brian Hoyer looked good today. He made a lot more of his throws than Mallett did. He has good zip on his passes but once he starts trying to stretch the field he struggles a little bit. He made good decisions today but also struggled a bit in the red zone. He ran with the first team late in practice.

>>>Eddie Pleasant had a few really nice plays today and even drew accolades from Mike Vrabel for one play. He matched up in 1-on-1 with tight ends and though he was physically smaller didn’t give an inch breaking up a few.

>>>DeAndre Hopkins continues to make marvelous catches during camp. Today he made a one-handed sideline catch with two defenders draped all over him.

>>>The focus today was situational football as the team gets ready for their first preseason game with the 49ers on Saturday. Different scenarios were the focus of a large part of the team sessions.

>>>Randy Bullock looked to kick a ball which would have been a miss. It was hard to tell as the team was in the bubble and the kicks came on the end without goalposts. His kicking, especially with the new extra point rules, is something to watch.

>>>Shane Lechler has it easy these days as undrafted rookie Will Johnson handles the majority of Lechler’s punts.

>>>While we are on special teams wide receiver Alan Bonner did quite a bit from a return perspective. The job is still wide open.​

Yeah, that quote didn't make sense. I can't imagine McNair saying that.

Now that I can imagine him saying & I don't have a problem with it.

From what I heard, he said something about them not going after Rice, about he's not that good, about us having 4 guys here that he's probably not better than, and he also said that no one else has brought him in and signed him and that says a lot about it. I was kinda surprised at how negative he was on the topic.

I had clicked over to watch the OB press conference and after it was over, they didn't turn the camera off. The camera guy just lugged it around, showing random scenes, and he ended up going over to where they were interviewing McNair. That's how I heard it.

I also liked that Cecil Shorts was by the jugs machine catching things one-handed for quite a while, catch after catch, one hand and then the other.

From Playoffs post...
Xavier Su’a-Filo is wearing a boot on one of his feet. Bill O’Brien confirmed the guard was injured in his post-practice media session.

HUH?? :kubepalm:

From Playoffs post...
Xavier Su’a-Filo is wearing a boot on one of his feet. Bill O’Brien confirmed the guard was injured in his post-practice media session.

HUH??
Poorly worded by Cody Stoops...

In his post-practice media session Bill O'Brien confirmed XSF was injured, wearing a boot.

I was asked re. roster cutdown dates, so I thought that others would be interested in these important dates.

August 13-17: First preseason weekend

Sept. 1: Clubs must reduce their active rosters to 75 players by 4 p.m. Eastern Time.

Sept. 3: Final preseason games

Sept. 5: Clubs must reduce their rosters to 53 players by 4 p.m. Eastern Time.

By the same deadline, teams who have players listed as "Physically Unable to Perform" or "Non-Football Injury or Illness" must either place the player on a reserve list, waive the player, terminate the contract or count the player as one the 53 on the active roster.

Sept. 6: Players waived during the final cut-down can be claimed until noon Eastern Time.

After that waiver period expires, teams may build a 10-man practice squad.

After 4 p.m. Eastern Time, a team may place a player on the injured reserve with a designation to return.

Sept. 10: At 12:00 a.m., New York time, the Top 51 Rule expires for all NFL clubs. After this point, the salary cap will now include all players on the active roster, rather than the "top 51."

Sept. 10, 13-14: Regular season begins.

Clowney said he spoke with a number of players who had microfracture surgery. Some days were tough, but "I was determined to come back from this... I was like, I'm going to try to beat the odds." Missed the camaraderie of his teammates most of all. Asked coach if he could rush the passer today... I've been hitting those dummies for too long, man. Everybody was busting his chops todays at practice, Cushing most of all. Said he worked harder than he's ever worked.

JD in great spirits, happy, joking, funny... you can tell why his teammates like him. Looks and sounds like he really took this setback like a man, worked his butt off to get back, and kept a positive attitude.

646081715_FirstLook.jpg

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
O'Brien unsure if #Texans' starting QB will be named before third preseason game at #Saints. Didn't say it wouldn't be. Just noncommittal.​

Clowney said he had no soreness today from practicing.

Clowney also said he enjoyed "giggling" with his teammates.

Jadeveon Clowney said this rehab "more than I ever worked in my whole life." Said it was worth it to get back with his teammates.

Jadeveon Clowney participated as expected today. Was dressed, went through stretches, individual drills with the linebackers.​

Clowney on his support staff: "My family, my teammates, the training staff they pushed me every day."

Clowney: "I had a hard time. It was hard some days. But being back out here with my teammates is the best feeling."

Clowney: "There is still a little ways to go but we are headed in the right direction. Take it one day at a time."

Clowney: "I felt pretty good. Just happy to be back out here with my teammates. I was very excited to be out here."

O'Brien on QBs: "I think we have to take it day by day. Don't know when that announcement will be made. They both need to be ready to play."

"Each game is different. Basically the second preseason game, as far as reps, will be similar to the first preseason game."

O'Brien on Clowney: "The rehab process can be monotonous. He put in the work. We are going to ease him in and then ramp him up."​

Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant
Clowney says around OTAs he felt there was a turning point in his rehab process when it got easier. That's when OB came up w/Aug 17 target.

Clowney says he feels great. Will work more tomorrow. Rehab was the hardest thing he's done in his life, he says.

Jadeveon Clowney seems to be in good spirits. Addressing media for 1st time since surgery last December.​

Adam Wexler ‏@awexler
Clowney said coach Vrabel helped him a lot, said he is the smartest coach he's worked with. Sometimes he talks so fast in meeting room they have to stop him and rewind​

Dale Robertson @sportywineguy
JD worked today without any kind of knee brace.​

Ben Jones on backup center James Ferentz, Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz's son: 'Great kid, brings it every day, you can tell he's a coach's son.'

Johnathan Joseph on Jadeveon Clowney: 'Obviously he's a dynamic talent. It brings one more element to the pass rush.'​

Johnathan Joseph on rookie Kevin Johnson: 'I think he's done a tremendous job. He's bright-eyed every day. He's a bright young man.'​

Whitney Mercilus on Jadeveon Clowney: 'He's going to help a whole lot definitely with his size and talent.'​

Brian Cushing on Jadeveon Clowney: 'The hardest part is over, now comes the fun part.'

Texans center Ben Jones said he feels like the goal-line issues from the first preseason game are very correctable

Ryan Griffin and Akeem Dent returned to practice today, Dent and Jadeveon Clowney both activated from physically unable to perform list

Not practicing Mike McFarland, Jeoffrey Pagan, Lonny Ballentine, Jeff Tarpinian, David Quessenberry, Arian Foster, Anthony Denham, Su'a-Filo​

Why did Cecil Shorts choose Houston? "I felt like I fit perfectly in this offense. It's a proven offense. "

Cody White hasn't looked like the same player from last year before the injury cost him the year.​

Tom Savage looked like he slightly tweaked the groin in 1 drill but continued to practice thru it. 15 minutes later appeared to be normal.

Good sign from Clowney, asking tons of questions of Vrabel & at end of drill asked for extra reps. Was excited to be back.

Texans ran a 2 on 2 drill w Christian Covington & Vince Wilfork. They annihilated the 2 OL.​

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Clowney wore nothing protective on his knee.

Clowney can't put timetable on his return. He'll be reevaluated at end of the week.

Clowney can't put timetable on his return. He'll be reevaluated at end of the week.

Clowney "Its going to be great when I can get back out there and rush the passer. I'm tired of hitting blocking dummies that don't hit back"

Clowney said he's pumped bout getting back on field in a limited basis.​

Last edited:
Anybody have info on Chad Slade?
Only got 12 snaps vs 49ers, all at RG. Has some position versatility. Team captain from Auburn, good size. PS possibility. Braddock trying to pump him and Kourtnei up for some reason today, maybe for his radio show? He's always asking OB questions about so-and-so player having a great practice today and OB usually just kinda looks at him funny or sarcastically tells him he's going to give Rick his name(to be a scout).

Get to know a rookie: Chad Slade
Tania Ganguli, ESPN Staff Writer

The Superman shirt Houston Texans rookie offensive lineman Chad Slade wore under his uniform during Auburn's BCS national championship game appearance in 2014 wasn't about him. It was about young Thomas J. Sullivan, a boy who died at age 6 from brain cancer but not before he left a lasting mark on Slade.

"One day I came back for a high school football game. ... I was watching the game and someone said this little boy wants to meet you," Slade said. "I said, well, that’s fine. I met him, took a picture with him. He had cancer. They were celebrating his day today. After the picture we hung out during the game. That’s when we started bonding, get connected."

The bond became a strong one between Slade and his young friend. Thomas became like part of Slade's own family, and Slade visited Thomas any time he was home on breaks from Auburn.

Thomas died in May 2013. You can read a little more about him in this AL.com story.

"I pretty much just dedicate everything I do to him," Slade said. "Hopefully (I can) start a foundation once football gets going and all that."

The Texans signed the 6-foot-5, 315-pound Slade to an undrafted rookie contract after the draft. We'll continue our get-to-know-a-rookie series with him.

Who was your biggest childhood influence?

Slade: Had to be my mom. I would look up to her. She did a lot for me.

What about your biggest football influence?

Slade: I never really had one. I grew up in baseball, basketball. When I got older I was thinking of like defensive linemen, like Albert Haynesworth and all them. They were the inspiration to play football.

Did you have a favorite athlete growing up?

Slade: I have to say it was Warren Sapp. Was one of my favorites.

What's your favorite food?

Slade: That’s kind of hard to choose for an O-lineman. I would have to say, probably chicken alfredo. I just love it. That’s probably one. It’s hard to choose from all that.

Who's the best player you faced in college?

Slade: It’s so many. I couldn’t really give you an answer. I played in the SEC, so I played against a lot of good defensive players, so I couldn't really choose.

Anyone who impressed you in a one-on-one battle?

Slade: I would have to say in the national championship game, Timmy Jernigan (from Florida State). That was a pretty good battle. One of the strongest D-linemen I played against, and one of the better technicians I played. I’m sure I’ll play against a lot more now, but if I had to say college, that’s the one I would say.

Which superhero would you be?

Slade: I would have to say the Hulk. It was between the Hulk and Flash because I do want to be fast, but I kind of want to be strong and do all that.

What's your most prized possession?

Slade: I would have to say my national and my SEC championship rings. Back in high school, growing up, I wanted to get those. I never really got one until I was in college.

Where do you have them?

Slade: I keep them safe, locked up. When I do get a chance to see them, I do. I really never bring them up. They’re just something I can look back on my accomplishments and be like, "I did that."

What's your biggest fear?

Slade: My biggest fear is, I really have to think about it. It’s just not playing football anymore. It’s something I love to do now. I grew into it. It’s something I would hate to lose now.

If you could own any animal, which would it be?

Slade: Definitely not a snake. I would have to say a tiger. I don’t know why, I just want a tiger. A tiger or a monkey.

Those are really different.

Slade: I don’t want something that can eat me, but I want something I can play with. Can’t really play with tigers, you get ate. But I would have to say a tiger.

Which emoji best describes you?

Slade: I would say the one that sticks out his tongue all the time. ... Sometimes I can be a little quiet, but when you get to know me and get me out of my shell I’m kind of a joke-full person.​

Last edited:
I think Nix should work extra in the pad level department. Too many times did I see him pop straight up and play patty cake. Also, he needs to be quicker off the snap. Especially being directly over the center. He flashed in a play or two, but mediocre overall. Imo

I still have high hopes for Nix. I think he could become a very good NT if he can get his mind right.

14 observations from Monday's #TexansCamp
John Harris|Texans Analyst

As Sunday was a day off for the squad, many players squeezed in a trip to the movies, got some rest or got much needed sleep. Or in Christian Covington’s case got some Game of Thrones reading done. But, the time off was much too short as the team got back on the field on Monday in shorts and jerseys, welcoming back a couple of familiar faces on each side of the ball.

Here are a few things from today’s workout.

1. Everyone had been anticipating the arrival of OLB Jadeveon Clowneyand by everyone, I mean nearly every TV and Hard Knocks camera followed his every move during the early part of practice. Honestly, I didn’t think I’d see this day when it was announced in November that he was having microfracture surgery. But, consider the work he put in to get back to this point and the work that Geoff Kaplan and his training staff to motivate JD to keep pushing himself. It all paid off to get him back into camp at this point. But, it’s going to be slow going and that’s by the team’s design. JD feels ready but as I’ve said a few times, it’s a marathon, not a sprint, so he’ll get the call in due time.

2. He wasn’t the only one to return to the practice field today. Akeem Dent worked out with the team for the first time since the win over the Jags in early January 2015. A lower leg injury kept him out of workouts until today and his return only serves to muddy up the ILB waters. In a good way, of course. So, Clowney and Dent returned on Monday; it was a good day.

3. Not to be left behind, the offense saw the return of Ryan Griffin...

Having Dent back is good. Will be nice to have him in the competition at LB. Feel like we have one of our better LBs corps in a while developing with peole getting healthy again.

That pad level training looks pretty neat

I hope it's not a one time thing. It's something they should work on again & again until it's second nature.

As bad as pad level was Saturday, this should be a daily exercise this week for sure. Next week maybe, then maybe two times a week, then one the rest of the season.

Texans corner Jumal Rolle carted off the field unclear what kind of injury he has​

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Texans 1st offensive unit struggled in short yardage work vs 1st defensive unit. I'm certain OB is going to drill/grill for more push up front

Correa and Watt playing catch. Correa says he'd be a QB if he played football.

Astros phenom Carlos Correa taking in Texans practice. pic.twitter.com/1Ylt6y4xU5

Bill obrien just screamed "I want Watt in there" as defender vs goal line. Watt bolted around corner and blue up RB causing fumble.​

"I feel like the Altuve here," Astros shortstop Carlos Correa[who is 6'4"] at #Texans practice.

Correa said Clowney told him he stopped playing baseball when he got hit by a ball. Wanted to hit back, so he picked football.

Correa and JJ Watt. #Texans #Astros

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CMs3JevVEAAj3Ng.jpg

SS Carlos Correa visiting practice today. Just took a photo on the field with Clowney. Houston's two No. 1 overall picks.​

Greg Bailey ‏@GregBailey13
O'Brien: Charles James with another INT today. He's competing for a spot. Nothing he does surprises me.

O'Brien: Chandler Worthy showed flashes. It's hard in your first NFL game.

O'Brien: I saw improvement today. Toughest part of camp.​

Wanna be a -- baller, shot caller... Vince Wilfork is at it again. MUST SEE. WATCH --> http://bit.ly/1UQVAa3

kenny hilliard @noceilings27
Great day of work​

PDS ‏@PatDStat
They were not taking it easy on each other and pretty equal back and forth. Good seeing starters pushing each other. #Texans

One of the best drills was watching Hopkins and Washington vs Kareem and JJo by themselves in one on one drills with Hoyer. #Texans

The #Texans TE group has become so much better at blocking. The group is night and day difference from last year.

Clowney also worked on setting the edge vs. TEs. Has the pop I saw last year. Much stronger this year than last.

Clowney is being watched closely but seeing him in individual drills. Good seeing him run the arc in pass rush drills.

Intrigued by Jadeveon Clowney today. Had constant questions to Vrabel and about his technique. Moved well.​

Last edited:
Texans Camp Confidential: Tuesday (8/18)
camp-confidential.jpg

(CBS Houston)
Editor’s Note:Camp Confidential will feature daily news and notes throughout Texans training camp.

Here are the notes, quotes, and need-to-know information from Texans training camp on Monday, August 18.

>>>Xavier Su’a-Filo, Jeff Tarpinian, Jeoffrey Pagan, and Lonnie Ballentine all missed practice today. David Quessenberry also remains sidelined.

>>>The quarterbacks were even today after a rough start by Mallett. He picked it up late and had some good success with the second unit in the red zone. Brian Hoyer was his normal self but maybe a slight bit more efficient than recent practices. If you had to select a winner of the day today it was Hoyer.

>>>Hoyer stood out in a 7-on-7 drill carving up the defensive backs and moving the ball well. He also scrambled for a touchdown but probably would have been sacked by J.J. Watt who was going half-speed. Mallett did have two interceptions in team drills as Kareem Jackson picked him off and Charles James picked him off in the end zone.

>>>Mallett said he didn’t mind taking second team reps even though he is starting on Saturday. Said he can get used to all his teammates this way. Also noted the wide receivers never stop talking about plays and improving, even discussing small details in the cafeteria.

>>>Charles James drew praise from Bill O’Brien who said “nothing” James does surprises him. He had some nice pass breakups and of course the interception. Eddie Pleasant also had a nice day knocking down a few passes.

>>>Jadeveon Clowney absolutely demolished a defender in a near-full speed rep today. He blew right past him and would have annihilated a running back if it was live work. He was still a limited participant.

>>>Clowney and the rest of the linebacker benefit greatly from Mike Vrabel as the linebackers coach. He is always teaching something, be it small or little, and he mixes it up physically with the linebackers in drills.

>>>Benardrick McKinney continues to pound the offensive line and running backs. He can thump with the best of them. His coverage struggled again today.

>>>C.J. Fiedorowicz may run some of the crispest, smoothest routes on the team. He had some very nice plays today.

>>>A.J. Bouye got some reps at nickel which sometimes had been going to Kevin Johnson. He looked average today.

>>>Yesterday we noted George Godsey, the team’s offensive coordinator, was on the sidelines. Today Hoyer weighed in on that: “You come back to the sideline, get immediate feedback. It’s very, I guess I want to say comforting. You come over to the sideline and there’s the guy who’s calling the plays, who is seeing it, you guys are getting on the same page, so yeah, I really do like that.”​

Well naturally our offense struggled against the first-team defense. I think our defense is capable of shutting down the Colts offense. They should shut down our offense without even having to play their best. I believe the Texans defense will rank 1st in the entire NFL in all the important categories while our offense will rank near dead last (30th, 31st, 32nd). Depending how good our offense improves will dictate if we make the playoffs. Like Bob McNair said it doesn't take a lot to tilt it one way or another. We could go 11-5 in 2015 and just as easily go 4-12.

They've been alternating them all through TC. It was Hoyer's turn with the 1st team.

I think we all understand that. However, after naming Mallett the starter for this Saturday's game, you'd think he'd prepare for it... as if he knew Mallett was going to start this Saturday.

I think we all understand that. However, after naming Mallett the starter for this Saturday's game, you'd think he'd prepare for it... as if he knew Mallett was going to start this Saturday.

Maybe he's staying true to form of alternating the days so neither guy gets too comfortable with a certain unit. Struck me as odd when I first read it too, but I think they alternated last week too even though hoyer got the start.

Texans reserve cornerback Jumal Rolle was carted off the field Tuesday morning with an apparent head injury.

After being examined, Rolle later returned to the practice field in street clothes and was walking under his own power. He had a bandage on his head, though. It’s unclear if Rolle suffered a concussion, but teammates were asking Rolle if he had sustained one.

Texans coach Bill O’Brien had no immediate update on Rolle’s status.

Rolle, 25, is coming off an encouraging season where he tied for the team lead with three interceptions in 10 games and no starts.

The former undrafted free agent from Catawba (N.C.) has good size at 6-foot, 188 pounds and quick reactions.

Rolle has previous stints with the Bills, Saints and Packers before sticking with the Texans last year.

Rolle had a career-high 19 tackles and four passes defended after being signed off of the Packers’ practice squad.

He intercepted two passes against the Eagles in November and picked off Titans quarterback Jake Locker once in December.​

You and Cak apparently thought he'd stop the alternating thing after naming a starter for this preseason game. I never expected that. Maybe I'm the only one who didn't, but there you go. It's just a continuation of the routine so far.

You and Cak apparently thought he'd stop the alternating thing after naming a starter for this preseason game. I never expected that. Maybe I'm the only one who didn't, but there you go. It's just a continuation of the routine so far.

I am with you, the routine is no routine.

However,, CAK's question made me pause, and then I had to go back to believing.

Back