Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Training Camp 2015

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Texans announce dates and times for open practice at Training Camp

Houston Texans Training Camp presented by XFINITY will begin on Saturday, August 1, as the Texans take to the field for the first time in preparation for the 2015 season.

Six training camp practice sessions will be open to the public at the Houston Methodist Training Center: Sat.-Mon., Aug. 1-3; Tues.-Weds., Aug. 11-12 and Weds., Aug. 19. From Aug. 6-8, the Texans will travel to Richmond, Va. for joint practices with the Washington Redskins.

Open practices will begin at 8 a.m., 8:30 a.m. or 6 p.m. CT. Gates will open to fans one hour prior to practice with lines forming on Murworth Drive. The full training camp schedule, including practices not open to the general public, can be found at the end of this press release. The NFL Clear Bag Policy will be in effect for all practice sessions open to the public.

Free tickets can be printed from the Texans official website,www.HoustonTexans.com, beginning at 10 a.m. on Wednesday, July 22, with a limit of four per person, per practice while supplies last. Tickets for Youth Day on August 11 will be available exclusively at Houston-area Academy Sports Outdoors locations, including locations in Beaumont and Huntsville, while supplies last. Bleacher seating at each practice session is general admission.

The Texans School Supply Drive presented by Toshiba is back. The drive will be held throughout training camp and encourages fans to bring school supplies with them to donate at practice. The school supplies will be donated to the Houston Texans YMCA for distribution to deserving students in its service area. Anyone who donates school supplies is eligible to receive daily giveaways and prizes. Fans can also bring supplies to the Go Texan Store if they are unable to attend practice.

Texans Ambassadors and TORO will also be available for autographs at the practice sessions. Fans will be able to watch practice sessions as well as participate in the Fan Zone behind the bleachers, with kids having the opportunity to take part in TORO’s Kids Club Kids Zone presented by Kroger, featuring various Texans interactive games.

Free parking is available south of the Houston Methodist Training Center off of Lantern Point Drive in the Green Lot beginning at 5 a.m. on Aug. 1-2, 11-12 and 19. The lot will open at 3 p.m. for the 6 p.m. practice on Aug. 3.

XFINITY is offering a free one-year subscription to HBO for all current and new customers in the Houston area, so fans can watch the Houston Texans on Hard Knocks.

Get Training Camp Ticket Information Here

COMPLETE 2015 HOUSTON TEXANS TRAINING CAMP SCHEDULE

HTTCschedule_zps6r5xfb71.png

2015 Texans Training Camp

Rookies report: 7/26

Veterans report: 7/31

Houston Methodist Training Center Houston, TX

Joint practices with Washington: August 6th-8th

May be all gone by now, but...

Went to get some open training camp tickets and the dates announced initially were all sold out. But they added some new dates.
As of 10:30 am Houston time, the mothership had not added these new dates on the website.
http://www.houstontexans.com/tickets/camp-ticket-info.html

I suspect these will go pretty fast too.

Try this link and go straight to ticketmaster....

http://www.ticketmaster.com/search?...+training+camp&q=houston+texans+training+camp

Texans training camp tickets sell out in 6 minutes

Houston Texans football is right around the corner.

Evidently, fans are excited.

Texans Training Camp tickets sold out in a record six minutes on Wednesday, with all allotted passes being claimed via HoustonTexans.com and Ticketmaster. The tickets and open practice dates became available to the public at 10 am CT, and were completely sold out by 10:06. Thousands were snatched up by fans in that short time period, eclipsing last year's mark of 10 minutes before being sold out.

Some training camp tickets remain, as spots for Academy's 'Youth Day' on August 11 are still available. Those tickets will be available exclusively at participating Houston-area Academy Sports Outdoors locations tonight after 7 pm. To see the list of stores, click here.

Houston Texans Training Camp presented by XFINITY will begin on Saturday, August 1, as the Texans take to the field for the first time in preparation for the 2015 season.

Six training camp practice sessions will be open to the public at the Houston Methodist Training Center: Sat.-Mon., Aug. 1-3; Tues.-Weds., Aug. 11-12 and Weds., Aug. 19. From Aug. 6-8, the Texans will travel to Richmond, Va. for joint practices with the Washington Redskins.

Open practices will begin at 8 a.m., 8:30 a.m. or 6 p.m. CT. Gates will open to fans one hour prior to practice with lines forming on Murworth Drive.

The Houston Texans will be the featured team on HBO’s exclusive Hard Knocks program this season.

Hence the reason I no longer attend TC. Way too crowded since we began winning a few years ago. That, and Hard Knocks? Pfft! The bandwagon's going to need a trailer

Hence the reason I no longer attend TC. Way too crowded since we began winning a few years ago. That, and Hard Knocks? Pfft! The bandwagon's going to need a trailer
Agree with your comments H-T, well said !
I wish they'd charge admission because there's lots of people who get several tickets and don't use them all or maybe turn around and sell themselves.

I haven't seen this commented on today, but today is the start of training camp, not Friday, with rookies reporting today.

I haven't seen this commented on today, but today is the start of training camp, not Friday, with rookies reporting today.
I hope those rookies have been working out here in Houston or someplace else where it's hot and humid since the OTAs wrapped up which has been awhile now. They'll be in pads now, not shorts, so it's gonna be warm out there.
I dunno, wonder what the rookies do this whole week before the vets arrive for TC ? My guess would be just concentrate on conditioning.

Veterans don't have to report until Friday; but I was wondering how many are going to voluntarily report early, or if they are even allowed to. There is an exception to these reporting dates: Quarterbacks may be required to report up to 5 days before the mandatory reporting date for other veterans, provided rookies have already reported. I have no idea if Mallett, Hoyer and Savage are reporting today.

Veterans don't have to report until Friday; but I was wondering how many are going to voluntarily report early, or if they are even allowed to. There is an exception to these reporting dates: Quarterbacks may be required to report up to 5 days before the mandatory reporting date for other veterans, provided rookies have already reported. I have no idea if Mallett, Hoyer and Savage are reporting today.
If the QB's can report early and don't, this would be a bad sign to me. It's odd that the website is completely devoid of anything about rookies reporting today.

I suspect they will be here as soon as possible with the QB battle ahead.

I suspect they will be here as soon as possible with the QB battle ahead.

This is not a movie screening and these folks aren't idle spectators. They've all decided who they want to start. They aren't giddy coming to camp to see who throws best on the practice field.

1558561.jpg

Ultimate Houston Texans Training Camp Guide
P.D. Starr

A complete guide to all 89 Houston Texans heading to the 2015 training camp.

Houston Texans training camp is closing in fast and State of the Texans has put together the ultimate player’s guide to get prepared for training camp. All 89 players on the roster are broken down in position groups and discussed in their player cards on their potential roles heading into training camp.

You will find the complete breakdown of the Texans on the roster that you will find nowhere else. Click the position links below and the individual players cards for a complete analysis of each player. Enjoy.

Houston Texans Position Groups

Texans Camp Primer: 5 Most Intriguing
We take a closer look at the Houston Texans that are the most intriguing heading into training camp...​

Texans Camp Primer: 5 Under the Radar

With the Houston Texans opening training camp soon, here are five that are under the radar heading in the season...​

Not one word in the QB writeup re. Hoyer's consistent poor decision making when under pressure..........that doesn't show up in practices/offseason. The counter to that has been that he is expected to receive better pass blocking with the Texans. But all games can be expected to have breakdowns...........and it only takes a couple of his poor decisions under fire to lead to the rearing of the ugly head of his established haunt of interceptions.............and the one-handed loss of games. Only when game time rolls around and he shows a total turn around of his old habits will he change minds.........I won't be holding my breath, as old habits like specifically that one die hard.

2015 Houston Texans training camp preview
Tania Ganguli, ESPN Staff Writer

The Houston Texans open training camp on July 31 at Methodist Training Center in Houston. Here’s a closer look at the Texans’ camp, which wraps up on Aug. 25:

Top storyline: The most important position on the field will be determined sometime early in training camp, likely after the Texans face Washington for joint training camp practices in Richmond, Virginia, during the first week of August. Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett have competed for the job during the offseason. Mallett originally came to the Texans last August in a trade with the New England Patriots, then re-signed in free agency this March with a two-year deal. He started two games for Houston in 2014, winning the first in Cleveland and then losing the second against Cincinnati, a game in which he played with a torn pectoral muscle. Hoyer signed in free agency after a two-year stint in Cleveland, and his deal with the Texans also lasts two years. The move reunited Hoyer, who entered the league as an undrafted free agent with the Patriots, with Texans coach Bill O'Brien, who also entered the league with the Patriots.

Position battles to watch: Setting aside the quarterback battle, the Texans must also determine their receiver, safety and return depth charts. After releasing Andre Johnson in March, the Texans added veteran receivers Cecil Shorts III and Nate Washington in free agency and drafted Jaelen Strong and Keith Mumphery. The safety position will also feature two new starters, one of them Rahim Moore, another free-agent pickup. The Texans also signed Stevie Brown in free agency, a safety who had a fairly versatile career with the New York Giants prior to joining the Texans. Brown was out of the Texans' offseason practices with an undisclosed injury, and during that time, the Texans rotated several other safeties. As for returns, the Texans ranked 29th in yards per kickoff return and 31st in yards per punt return last season.

+ Veterans to watch: Defensive lineman Vince Wilfork is entering a new stage of his career after 11 years and two Super Bowl championships with the New England Patriots. The narrative about Wilfork has often centered around his mentoring ability, but there's much more the Texans want out of him and much more he plans to give them. Wilfork's play on the field will cause additional issues for opposing offenses who already had J.J. Watt to handle.

+ Rookies to watch: Receiver Jaelen Strong seems to thrive with a chip on his shoulder (he chose the No. 11 to remind himself that 10 receivers were drafted before him), and he's got one heading into training camp. Strong suffered a hamstring injury in the Texans' first organized team activity practice, and that injury kept him out of all but one of the Texans' offseason practices. The Texans traded up in the third round to take Strong and have high expectations for him. Nose tackle Louis Nix is not technically a rookie, but because he didn't play last season, we can count this as a sort of second rookie year for Nix. He's well aware many have written him off already after an injury-riddled rookie season in which O'Brien spoke harshly of his professionalism, and he relishes the opportunity to disprove those opinions.

Bubble watch: The Texans cleared out most of their aging players earlier in the offseason -- Johnson and longtime center Chris Myers were players whose age and salary cap numbers would have made them bubble watch targets, but both players were released this offseason, clearing up significant cap space for the Texans. It's still possible Myers will return for less money. One younger veteran in a critical year is Keshawn Martin, a receiver who also handled return duties for the Texans last season. Martin will have to fight his way onto the roster as the Texans have added players to compete in both roles.

Clowney watch: The Texans invested a first overall pick in outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney last year, and as such, his recovery from having two surgeries on his right knee last season will be very critical to the team this year. Clowney first had a simple arthroscopic knee surgery in September after suffering a lateral meniscus tear in the Texans' season opener. He tried to return several weeks later, but it gradually became clear that the swelling and pain in his knee indicated bigger issues. Due to articular cartilage damage in the knee, Clowney underwent microfracture surgery in December. His youth and elite athletic ability offer reasons for optimism, and the Texans were pleased with the work he put into his rehab this offseason.

For daily updates at camp, check out the Houston Texans clubhouse page.​

Texans Camp Top 5: The 'X' Factors
John Harris|Texans Analyst

There isn’t a Texans fan on the planet that can’t recite the most important players on this team. It’s not as if the Texans lack for star power when guys like JJ Watt, Arian Foster, Brian Cushing, Vince Wilfork and others parade out onto the practice field in a week or so.

But, the success of every team, no matter the level, rests on the shoulders of the ones you don’t know. The ones that don’t get a ton of acclaim, but wins aren’t possible without them. Sometimes it’s not even an individual, perhaps it’s a group of players. Every team has what I label as X-factors that help determine the outcome of a season.

A perfect example of an X-factor was former Texans NT Ryan Pickett. He was signed in late September of 2014 to give immediate assistance to the interior run defense. It was extremely difficult to project how “Big Grease” could impact the defense. But, from his first snap of the season against Buffalo through the end of the season, Pickett was the rock in the middle of the run defense.

So, who or what will be the X factors in the 2015 season? Here are my top five X factors heading into training camp.

5. Sub-package RUN defense
The use of sub-packages is to quell throwing offenses, right? Well, yeah, that’s why five, six or even seven defensive backs are on the field. But, early in last season, teams took advantage of the Texans’ sub-package run defense and exploited some run fits in those packages. As the year wore on, the Texans were much better on third down v. both pass and run. Not many teams succeeded running the ball against either base or sub-package units later in the year and the results were in the Ws down the stretch. This will be a key again as the Texans continue to thrive with multiple sub-package looks on the field.

4. WR Cecil Shorts/WR Nate Washington
The two free agent wide receiver signees will get a ton of attention, I’d imagine during training camp, so I feel a little awkward mentioning them. But, to me it’s more how they’ll be used or how they can be used that has me intrigued. During OTAs and minicamp, Washington showed he still has some juice in his legs and can get to any spot on the field, especially deep down field. If he’s able to take the top off the secondary downfield, that’s a massive plus in this offense. Shorts, on the other hand, could line up at a number of different spots which could ultimately open up some advantageous matchups for him all over the field.

3. DE Jeoffrey Pagan
We all know Watt and most people grew to appreciate Jared Cricklast year, as well. The one player that quietly earned more and more snaps as the year wore on was the former Alabama product. Now as a second year player at 3-4 DE, he has something that neither Watt nor Crick possess - size. His ability to play head up on a tackle and hold his ground at that DE position is a key in the run defense. As such, he could truly play a key role on 1st and 2nd down as the season progresses.

2. OLB John Simon
The former Buckeye DE was a favorite of mine when he played at Ohio State and that hasn’t changed in the slightest. He arrived on a Tuesday morning at 3 am less than 72 hours before playing Indianapolis on Thursday night last year and found a way to impact that, and many other games the rest of the season. But, an ankle injury slowed a bit during the season, yet he powered through the 2014 campaign on special teams and at OLB/DE. Regardless of Jadeveon Clowney’s health, Simon is a definite key heading into the season at OLB. Whether it’s on defense or on the core for special teams, Simon’s impact will be felt in 2015.

1. C Ben Jones/LG Xavier Su’a-Filo
When the Texans waived Chris Myers this off-season, it created a domino effect on the offensive line. Jones prepped to move three feet to his right, while the player known as X to his teammates prepared for a move into the starting front five. Many people have talked about this transition in the off-season but to me, the important aspect is how this configuration aids the Texans’ overall offensive paradigm. Ben’s strength at the point of attack, combined with Xavier’s desire to mash in the run game, could really open up the run game playbook going forward. Many fans’ eyes will be focused on the middle of the OL during training camp with the hope that they won’t hear much from them in 2015. And, for OL, silence is a good thing.

FOX Sports Southwest begins its coverage of the Houston Texans' 2015 training camp on Saturday, Aug. 1 with TEXANS TRAINING CAMP TODAY.

The 15-minute updates will be shown in Houston at 10:30 p.m. CT* or after Texas Rangers postgame shows, and throughout the Southwest region at 10:45 p.m. CT...

FOX Sports Southwest's TEXANS TRAINING CAMP TODAY series will run Aug. 1-14 with the exception of off days on Aug. 4-5 and Aug. 9-10.

FOX Sports Southwest's Patti Smith and Texans radio voice Marc Vandermeer will host the training camp shows that will feature the day's camp news and notes.

FOX Sports Southwest also will simulcast KTRK'S three Texans preseason games in the Houston market:

Sat. Aug. 15 7:00 p.m. San Francisco at Houston

Sat. Aug. 22 7:00 p.m. Denver at Houston

Thu. Sept. 3 7:00 p.m. Dallas at Houston​

I am going to have to see Adams play before I get too excited about him being the next swing. He couldn't stick at Tennessee, Miami, Dallas or Cincinnati.

#TexansCamp Top 5: Position battles
John Harris|Texans Analyst

Nothing screams training camp more than a good ‘ol fashioned training camp position battle. Every team throughout the league has them during July/August - some it didn’t see coming, some are front and center from the day the players report to camp.

The Texans have their share starting right at the top with the quarterback position. Let’s delve further into the top five position battles at training camp...minus the quarterback competition. There’s really no other camp competition that compares to that one, so let’s take it out and put in on a special shelf all by itself. The rest? Here we go.

5. 3rd corner in sub packages
Prior to free agency, cornerback appeared to be a priority heading into the off-season and the draft. That priority listing changed when Jackson re-signed to kick off free agency. Then, the Texans drafted Kevin Johnson in the first round and followed that selection up with extending Johnathan Joseph. No longer was corner a priority; it was a logjam. But, the question remained, who would be the third corner alongside Joseph and Jackson?

Let’s throw in A.J. Bouye, Darryl Morris and Jumal Rolle, all three of which had interceptions last season as fill-in starters or that third corner on the field. That’s two bona fide starters, Jackson and Joseph, a duo that has started the past four seasons together, a first round selection and three veterans with designs on not giving up any playing time to a rookie. 2014 practice squad member Charles James isn’t about to back down from a competition. So, let’s do the math...five legitimate candidates (Bouye, Morris, Rolle, Johnson and James) for one highly important sub-package personnel spot. Let the competition commence!

4. Interior offensive lineman depth
With Ben Jones moving over to center and Xavier Su’a-Filo sliding into the left guard spot, the starting offensive line seems to be set, but people have asked me numerous times, who’ll back them up?

It’s truly one of the hardest questions to answer. Cody White is returning after missing the entire 2014 season and he could play either center or guard. James Ferentz spent the season on practice squad after impressing the staff with his tenacity and understanding of the offense. After that, it’s a bunch of rookie free agents. Former Auburn product Chad Slade played a ton of snaps at guard in the SEC in his career, while center Greg Mancz was one of the best players in the MAC in 2014. There are seemingly a number of different candidates to be the swing tackle behind Derek Newton and Duane Brown, but only a handful guys, on paper, that seem to fit behind the three interior starters.

I think that we’ll see some a variety of combinations during the first few practices to get the right mix, depth-wise in the middle.

3. Punt returner

Since Jacoby Jones left Houston for Baltimore in 2012, the Texans haven’t gotten a ton out of the punt return game. Now, let me be clear, returning punts is so far from being just about the returner, but he’s just the most visible foil. WR Keshawn Martin averaged 6.2 yards per punt return, 24th in the league last year, and it was clear talking to head coach Bill O’Brien this off-season that significant improvement is warranted from this special teams unit.

So, Martin is in the mix. Who else? Damaris Johnson returned punts last year after arriving just prior to the Washington game. Rookie Chandler Worthy from Troy can scoot. Keith Mumphery caught punts during minicamp and OTAs. There may be, ultimately, five or six guys competing for this one key spot. This competition really won’t heat up until the first pre-season game, I’d imagine, but at least, we’ll see Saturday this battle start to heat up.

2. Inside linebacker next to Brian Cushing

Throughout the 2014 season, the inside linebacker position was seemingly a revolving door. Brian Cushing took the majority of the snaps, while Justin Tuggle, Mike Mohamed and Akeem Dent all took turns in the spot next to Cushing. Each one had quality moments throughout the 2014 season and will battle to be the permanent starter.

Throw in 2nd round rookie Benardrick McKinney and we’ve got a good ‘ol showdown at the NRG Corral. Oh, did I forget to mention former Michigan State linebacker Max Bullough and Jeff Tarpinian? Well, hey, why not? The whole crew’s here. But, which one will it be?

Mohamed is a wizard on third down. McKinney is a thumper against the run and improving in pass coverage, yet a rookie. Dent was magnificent on first and second down once he stepped into the starting lineup. Bullough has seemingly slimmed down to be an all-around inside linebacker. A mashup of all six would make the Pro Bowl, but once the pads go on, only one can take the reins next to Cushing.

1. 2nd wide receiver/slot receiver

There’s been no bigger talking point in the off-season than who would be the Texans’ 2nd receiving option opposite DeAndre Hopkins. The off-season brought a bunch of suitors to the party and, in the process, completely revamped the receiver meeting room. Two free agent signees (Cecil Shorts and Nate Washington), two draft picks (Jaelen Strong and Keith Mumphery) and two roster holdovers (Keshawn Martin and Damaris Johnson) all have eyes for that spot and why not?

There’s no clear cut favorite and each provides a different skill set from the other, so what separates one from the other won’t be clear until the pigskin flies on Saturday.

Beast mode Activated
2m7j6zo.jpg
Who is this Justin James? He's not on the rooster. Is this Covington posted under the name Justin James?

Ben Jones - 5 sets of 50 yd car pushes! I'm thinking Jones makes the 53 - can play both center and guard. Has also played some tackle in college, but likely won't in the NFL. Shows his versatility, though. Cody White can play center and guard also. If both of these make the 53, this allows us to carry only 8 OL'men. This is what James Ferentz has going against him - he's strictly an undersized center more similar to Myers. Who has anything on this Chad Slade. Could he make the 53?

This is what James Ferentz has going against him - he's strictly an undersized center more similar to Myers.

And here's the thing accountants never get...Myers was considered best or near it in the pinnacle of his craft for a while. There is no jack of all trades hall.

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
"It’s a complex offense, but once you get it down it’s a really, really good offense for receivers and running backs," Cecil Shorts. #Texans

"We all get along with him. He's a really smart coach. Knows how to coach each player in a specific way." -- Cushing on OB

"We've talked a lot about what to expect...what kind of mindset you have to have. ...Told him not to get down," Brian Cushing on Clowney. #Texans

"Really looking forward to a great camp and great year. Best I've felt in a while."-- Cushing

"It’s going to be like a thief in the night," Nate Washington says about the #Texans offense, overshadowed by it's star-studded defense.

Safety Stevie Brown says his health is good now. Dealing with the heat here is a work in progress. #Texans

Stevie Brown
missed all of OTAs/minicamp with an injury. Won't say what it was, "That's probably something OB will have to answer." #Texans

"We definitely like him very much as a man, as a coach. We know his formula works. He believes in us. Now we just have to go to work."
-- Duane Brown on Bill O'Brien

Duane Brown says even in OTAs, he felt like the #Texans offense was ahead of last season. "It just looked better."

What's different heading into camp in the coaching staff's second year, J.J. Watt? "There's a lot of cameras around." #Texans #HardKnocks

"You never know where the next play is going to come from," J.J. Watt on what excites him most about this defense. #Texans

Even though I've been here awhile, I still go to Duane and ask him things... I still go to Chris Myers and Wade Smith for tips even though they're not here anymore.

Brooks says his goal is to leave everything on the field and concern himself with his contract after the season. #Texans

Brooks says the #Texans new offensive line coach Mike Devlin is a technician. Every session starts with significant work on technique.

"OB came in his first year and really laid the law down. Now he's starting to see the team that he wants." -- RG Brandon Brooks #Texans

Adam Wexler ‏@awexler
"He takes his job seriously but he likes to have a good time," D.Brown on OL Mike Devlin. Said it's a good combo, nice to have that mix, especially in training camp

Watt
said he works on everything in the offseason (including stuff at TE), said he worked even more on that specifically this offseason.

"It's a good time to be in Houston," Watt as he notes #Rockets, #Astros, #Dash, alł the teams doing well & now #Texans are back, too.

"Newt's like a true brother to me. We're at a point now (where he sees what I see, w/o much communication), just a head nod, etc"

"Ben played center his whole life before he got here. It's like going back home (for him)," Brooks on Ben Jones. #Texans

"The first thing that comes up is he's a former professional o-lineman. He's a stickler for the small things," Brooks on OL coach Mike Devlin.​

Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant
Cushing's advice to rookies like Benardrick McKinney: Pace yourself and learn as much as you can. It's a long season.

Devlin
has a great ritual too, based on superstition. Gets into a "fake argument" with his wife before each game.

Whitney Mercilus says he's excited about the movement in #Texans defense that Crennel allows for in his scheme.​

Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew
WR Nate Washington said "timing" w/QB's, teammates has been one thing he's worked on specifically since joining the #Texans.

"This defense is going to be a whole lot of fun to play in."-Watt on 2015 D, w/return of Brian Cushing & Jadeveon Clowney.

"My training was never impeded by that."- JJ Watt on the fun stuff he did this offseason.​

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Mercilus said he trained twice a day in Arizona during the offseason. Said he did manage to have some fun.

Mercilus lost top part of index finger in college. On JPP "He can be productive. He doesn't need that finger."

Mercilus on knowing the defense "We can attack and be more aggressive. It's very exciting."

OLB Whitney Mercilus on 2nd year under O'Brien "We're more comfortable, more fluid in what we're doing. We understand what we can do."

Stevie Brown on O'Brien "The thing I like best about him is he's always straight with you."

S Stevie Brown
says he's healthy after missing offseason program. Had foot surgery. SS wide open for the taking.

Duane Brown
"I want to have better technique and be stronger at the point of attack. I want to be better at everything."

Watt "We've doing a great job of building a culture for what it takes to be great. Guys put in extra work, and it's starting to show."

Watt said his only regret about his offseason was not getting as much time as he wanted to spend time with his family and friends.

Watt said no matter what he did he worked out every day. Had his personal trainer with him when he spent a week in LA.​

Patti Smith ‏@PattiSmithFSSW
@JJWatt - "Nobody wins every time, I fail out there every day. But it's through those failures that make you better"​

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Cecil Shorts III says that Nate Washington was playing in the NFL when he was in high school. Likes how Washington leads. #Texans

Nate Washington
says there are questions surrounding the offense and understands why there should be. #Texans

Nate Washington prides himself in being a route runner but knows he is viewed as a deep threat. #Texans

Mercilus
said last year the coverage issues slowed his progress last camp, said he knows the defense with all the reps. #Texans

Stevie Brown said J.J. Watt, Clowney and Wilfork were an easy selling point for him to coming to the #Texans.

Stevie Brown
bought a house in Houston because his sister lives down here. Trying to get used to the heat. #Texans

Duane Brown says he feels the offense is better already (even w/o pads). A year knowing the system has helped the offense. #Texans

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
.@DuaneBrown76 on what he wants to improve on: "Everything. I want to be a lock-down tackle. I'm looking forward to this being my best one."​

Will Grubb ‏@GrubbReport
Stevie Brown on his health "I'm good." Declines to give more details, says O'Brien can answer that question. #Texans

Last edited:
For those that may have missed it, here's a post that I made back in April re. Stevie Brown's injury and related history.

Getting back to Stevie Brown, in the last game of last season, he suffered what was initially believed to be a re-injury to his left ACL. In fact, he suffered a severe injury to his left foot/ankle in the first quarter of the game, bringing his season to an end. Capping his bad luck last season was the fact that the injury was sustained while making an interception which was overturned due to a penalty. What is not widely publicized is that the foot/ankle injury required offseason surgery. Starter or reserve, not really great that in the past 2 years, 2 lower limb joints on the same side have required surgery. It's of further interest that Brown also broke his left ankle his senior year in high school.

Thoughts from several posts above:
Stevie Brown injury, why doesn't someone ask OBrien how he is? He's asked about Clowney daily.

"what I like about this defense is no one knows where next play is coming from?" Wasn't that said about Wade Phillips defense also?

"he is always first in and last out (gym)" how can that be said about several players? Must show up and leave as a group.

Ben Jones is projected as starting center so I assume he will be among 53.

Never see D Brown being beaten much at point of attack, rather a fast player runs around him and he cannot slide to keep him from pressuring QB.

Devlin gets into "fake argument" with wife before each game. Sources tells me she gets into fake sex with him before each game..

Lots of people had questions on KMart's status:

The only reason I can see he was on the team at all was he didn't drop punts........but he didn't move them anywhere either as he averaged 6.16 yds per return and ranked 53 in the NFL. And it certainly wasn't his receiving prowess............in 255 snaps, targeted in 9 games, caught 1 pass in each of 6 of those games for a total of 78 yds.

Keshawn Martin accepts uphill challenge of making Houston Texans' roster

Tania Ganguli, ESPN Staff Writer

HOUSTON -- This spring couldn't have been an easy one for Houston Texans receiver Keshawn Martin as he watched his team bring in one receiver after the next -- all intended to displace him.

Only subtle pauses betrayed the urgency of his situation. He spoke about it with his typical mild-mannered cadence, but impactful words.

"Well, you know, it's just a challenge," Martin said. "I accept the challenge."

We spoke at the end of Texans minicamp, and he noted that the real decisions about his future and the futures of many positions on the field would depend on their performances in training camp. The Texans begin meetings today and start practices tomorrow. Martin, who was the Texans' primary punt returner as well as their fourth receiver last season, will begin a challenging path toward remaining with the team that drafted him.

"Just be better than last year," Martin said of his goal. "Just being a smarter player. Just focusing. Just learning multiple spots. With this offense you learn something new every day. I'm just trying to pick up on those smaller details and improve on them."

Before the new staff arrived, Martin was the Texans' third receiver in 2013, and he caught most of his passes in the slot. Since Texans coach Bill O'Brien took over he has completely revamped the team's receiving corps. He initially worked Mike Thomas at the slot last summer, but mysteriously released him. It seemed like a good sign for Martin, but then the Texans brought in Damaris Johnson, who re-signed this offseason.

With Damaris Johnson serving as the Texans' third receiver after Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins, Martin played 255 snaps last season in 16 games. Martin was targeted in nine of those games and caught one pass each in six of them for a total of 78 yards.

Now the Texans also have veteran receivers Nate Washington and Cecil Shorts III, added in free agency, and rookies Jaelen Strong and Keith Mumphery, added in the draft.

If Martin can make himself valuable in the return game, that would help his case as well. He returned one kickoff 19 yards last season and 25 punts with an average of 6.16 yards per return, which ranked 53rd in the NFL. Other candidates for punt returns include Damaris Johnson and rookies Chandler Worthy and Keith Mumphery.

"Return-wise, I just want to go out there and make big plays," Martin said. "I want, every chance I get to try to take it back to the house. Or just give the team good field position. Mainly that's what I'm really focused on. Catching the ball, it just comes natural, but I just want to go out there and make smart decisions."

Making the team will pose an uphill challenge for Martin again this year. And with only one year left on his rookie contract, he realizes gravity of the position in which he finds himself.

"It's a sense of urgency," Martin said. "Just wanting to make the team, wanting to be on this team. You just gotta make plays. At the end of the day that's what it's all about. That's what I try to do. Just try to be disciplined."

Last edited:
Who is this Justin James? He's not on the rooster. Is this Covington posted under the name Justin James?

Ben Jones - 5 sets of 50 yd car pushes! I'm thinking Jones makes the 53 - can play both center and guard. Has also played some tackle in college, but likely won't in the NFL. Shows his versatility, though. Cody White can play center and guard also. If both of these make the 53, this allows us to carry only 8 OL'men. This is what James Ferentz has going against him - he's strictly an undersized center more similar to Myers. Who has anything on this Chad Slade. Could he make the 53?

You think Ben Jones, our projected starter makes the 53? Good call 19

646TCWide.jpg

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Clowney is punting against Mike Vrabel.

Texans wrapping up practice. Plenty of work done today. Quarterbacks the story of the day. See how things are split up tomorrow.

Offense? Doing more push-ups. #Texans

Offense is a small disaster. Another false stater the entire offense taking a jog to the other goal post for the bust.

Arian Foster taking responsibility today. Did push-ups for dropping a pass now takes a lap around the field for a false start. #Texans

First rep of team. J.J. Watt would have had the sack. Play blown dead. #Texans

Mallett has a habit of trying to throw between targets covered by multiple defenders. #Texans

Mallett struggling. A pass to no one then a throw into double coverage broken up in red zone work. #Texans

Hoyer accurate with the intermediate throws and has a quicker release than Mallett. Making a difference early one day one. #Texans

Rookie tight ends Khari Lee and Mike McFarland having good days. Big targets catching the football well today. #Texans

Mallett back to back short TD throws to Martin and Fiedorowicz. #Texans

Hoyer overcooks a corner route over his target. #Texans

Arian Foster drops a pass in the end zone, that's a rare sight. #Texans

Hoyer running the red zone work. #Texans

Savage working with the youngsters during 7 on 7. Plenty of issues, poor routes and footballs hitting the ground. #Texans

Keith Mumphery runs by Bouye to catch a deep ball from Savage. #Texans

Both quarterbacks having decent days. Hoyer looking better but could be due to the personnel he is working with. #Texans

Kevin Johnson active today. Back to back good coverage. Last play broke up the pass. #Texans

Nwachukwu doing what he usually does putting together a nice day at camp. #Texans

Stevie Brown picks off Hoyer. #Texans

Mallett hits Mike McFarland on a corner route. #Texans

7 on 7 starting. Hoyer starting strong. Him and Washington look in sync. #Texans

Lots of coaching today on the field. #Texans

Offensive lineman learning early Wilfork is not easy to move. #Texans

Savage holding the ball too long during team. Whistle blows the play dead. #Texans

Hoyer with a touch pass off Shorts finger tips. #Texans

Hoyer hits Hopkins to open up the team session across the middle. #Texans

Jaelen Strong teasing today. Showing some positives today catching the football. #Texans

Nwachukwu with the catch of the day to this point on JJo. Full 180 to catch the back shoulder throw. #Texans

Khari Lee showing strong look today. Big deep ball reception from Mallett. #Texans.

Bouye and Shorts a good matchup. Bouye with the pass break up. #Texans

Mallett sharp early. #Texans

Nate Washington runs by Bouye to catch a deep ball in stride from Mallett. #Texans

Jaelen Strong with a strong reception to start 1-on-1s. #Texans.

Mallett bobbing his head to some Big Sean. #Texans

#Texans hitting their stretches with music blaring.

#Texans walking through team session. Both Mallett and Hoyer running huddles.

#Texans going through special teams work.

Jaelen Strong in much better shape. Looks the part now. #Texans

Jaelen Strong looks nothing like he did during OTAs/Mini-Camps. Considerable difference in appearance. #Texans

Punter Will Johnson and Jon Weeks first ones on the field. #Texans

Bill O'Brien first on the field followed by his staff. #Texans

No #Texans players on the field. Any guesses who might the first one out here? Go.​

Overall Hoyer has had a good day. Looked very sharp on shorter throws.

Couple nice touchdown throws by Brian Hoyer, then throws a pick to Stevie Brown. #Texans

Everybody here and working, except the guys on PUP/NFI. Appears to be a very healthy team to start camp. #Texans

Wow Jaelen Strong looks skinny. Those 20 pounds he lost are evident. #Texans​

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
Good morning of work for Brian Cushing.

Clowney
threw a pass on side, then did some type of kick/punt that went 25 yards. Put him in, coach. #Texans

Offense did pushups, defense followed a couple plays later. #Texans

Mallett had three consecutive incompletions during goalline drills. Hoyer's been on and off. #Texans

Clowney hanging near huddle after working out on side field. #Texans

Jeff Adams taking some first-team snaps at left guard. #Texans

Hoyer continues to run first team. Full and 7-on-7 units. #Texans

Ryan Mallett TD bomb to Nate Washington: https://t.co/OkELsGwGAl

Nate Griffin ‏@Coloranalyst
Texans training camp is packed.​

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
Both Kenny Hilliard & Jay Prosch make nice catches in traffic at #Texans practice.​

NT Vince Wilfork, 75, doesn't go backward one inch when a teammate runs into him.

New d line coach Paul Pasqualoni is as loud as his predecessor Bill Kollar.

Watt bout to wear out the sled.

OBrien working with defensive linemen. No. 99 doesn't need much coaching.

Hard Knocks crews are right in the middle shooting among the players. First show Aug. 11.

Like in offseason program Clowney watching and talking to teammates during practice. I expect him to come off PUP n a couple of weeks.

OBrien gets in the middle of drills and watches every position.

U can always find OBrien cause he wears white towel round his neck and has white long sleeved shirt under his blue top.​

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
DeAndre Hopkins on Hoyer / Mallett: "We work on a lot of stuff after practice cause I missed so much time during OTAs."

KJ on J-Joe/Kareem: "That's 15 years of experience. I'm just soaking up everything they do, from out here to meeting rooms to everything."

K Johnson on hardest adjustment "It's just a different game. College was a lot of 10 personnel (4 WRs) This is different route combinations"

Kevin Johnson contributes his route recognition to just studying the game, opponents

Alan Bonner said he feels great & is finally "full-go"

In speaking w Bonner he said he's been pumping iron for 2 yrs & studying the playbook. He's gained over 5 lbs of muscle since joining Texans

CJ Fiedorowicz was another guy who stood out for the Texans today. Night & day from last year. Looks so comfortable, effortless now

Alan Bonner has speed!!! on crossers. He's definitely healthy.

The standout day 1, for me MT @DoughertyDrew WR EZ Nwachukwu has made several acrobatic catches on deep balls this am at #TexansCamp.​

Last edited:
Bill O'Brien...
We've got a lot of little things we need to clean up. LOS penalties, missed assignments.

Pretty typical first practice.

97% of roster passed the conditioning tests.

I believe all our coaches have gotten better this offseason. I've been in every meeting for each position group, and they ask the right questions and work on the right stuff.

We have two important good additions to our coaching staff in Mike Devlin and Paul Pasqualoni. Excited about those guys.

#TexansCamp ‏@HoustonTexans
"I believe in competition. Competition makes everybody better... the players and the team."

"It is just about getting everybody a bunch of reps and getting everyone on film."--O'Brien on personnel groups

"Every year is different. This year's team is totally different from last year's team. I really think this team works and competes hard."

"The pace was good. 97 percent of this team came back in great shape." --Bill O'Brien on #TexansCamp​

David Nuño ‏@DavidNunoABC13
O'Brien says today was a bit sloppy but he liked the pace. #Texans​

Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant
O'Brien & #HardKnocks Director Matt Dissinger meet 2x day to go over schedule. Says crew very accommodating, easy to work with.

O'Brien says no traditional 1st, 2nd, 3rd teams. Wants to mix and match players to get most reps.

O'Brien on Jeff Adams taking reps at LG: We're mixing and matching with our o-line.​

O'Brien open to hiring a female coach but won't this year because staff is set.

O'Brien said he's getting used to Hard Knocks cameras everywhere. Intrusive but "not a distraction."

O'Brien will handle QB reps differently than he did during OTAs. Doesn't plan to rotate Hoyer, Mallett with first team daily. More of a mix.

O'Brien said no one's in lead between Hoyer, Mallett right now.​

Howard Chen ‏@TheHoChen
O'Brien: coaching is not about gender, it's about making the players better, bottom line.

O'Brien: Training camp has to be a grind, that lays the foundation for your team.

O'Brien: #Texans camp all about progress. Not just for players, but coaches too. Every day.

O'Brien: Nate Washington, Cecil Shorts, Hoyer are 3 examples of vets who are pickin up the playbook quickly.​

Kudos to Bill O'Brien, has shown multiple signs of working with the media's coverage in year two.​

Players/interview/post-practice...

Vince Wilfork told me #Texans LB coach Mike Vrabel was the best all around teammate he ever had on and off the field.

Wilfork says his daughter only agreed to his signing here on the condition she got to meet Watt. She took a picture with him today. #Texans

"Teach him what? What am I gonna teach JJ?" Wilfork says. Says what he'll take from JJ is how he works. #Texans​

Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant
Ryan Mallett has worked out w/his HS football coach in Carthage, TX every year, including this offseason.​

Howard Chen ‏@TheHoChen
Hoyer: "Today's the first day, gotta get better. There was some good, there was some bad." #Texans

Hoyer: "The decision's up to (O'Brien). I just focus on being the best quarterback I can be."​

EZ Nwachukwu: "I've been working on, not only perfecting each wide receiver's routes but also being where the QB wants me on those routes. "​

Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant
Brian Hoyer: We're going against one of best defenses in the league everyday. Pushes us to get better.​

PDS ‏@PatDStat
One thing Jaelen Strong did is respond from a disappointing off-season. Came in ready to go. One of the best things to come out of day one.​

Yes, Ryan Mallett wants #Texans' starting job. Bad. "Those two games, it was just kind of like a little taste. But I really -- I want more."

Mallett's always had a boulder on his shoulder and it's served him well. Remains there as training camp begins for #Texans.​

Mallett's response to O'Brien saying #Texans' QB competition is still even and job remains up for grabs: "Are you counting me out?"​

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Decision making also a key and right now Brian Hoyer is ahead of Mallett in all those categories except arm strength. #Texans

Arm strength is the a factor that clouds some on the #Texans QB race. Release, timing, pocket presence and accuracy in the formula too.

Kevin Johnson had a good first day. Active on field on coverage.​

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
This Texans quarterback competition might be over sooner than you think. #HoyerWins

I just think consistency and accuracy is going to continue to hound him: Mallett

The job certainly isn't lost yet and it was never his to begin with. However his accuracy is going to be a problem: Mallett

He may not start the season as the third corner back, but he's going to find his way on the field: Kevin Johnson

This is easily the deepest and most competitive Texans secondary I've seen since the teams inception.​

Wouldn't count out AJ Bouye for that third corner job. It was his last year and he's fighting for it.​

The offensive linemen have been universal in their praise of new line coach Mike Devlin. "He's a technician," RG Brandon Brooks said.

CB Johnathan Joseph said he's been impressed with the program of CB Kevin Johnson, the No. 1 pick. He said Johnson is a fast learner.

DE Jared Crick said he's been impressed with Rice rookie NT Christian Covington. Crick "He works hard and learns fast."​

Last edited:
O'Brien says no traditional 1st, 2nd, 3rd teams. Wants to mix and match players to get most reps.

Yeah...I saw that....

Just found it odd that X was the only one (That I've heard of) not in the starting line-up that was expected to be there.

And BTW, I personally think that's not a good thing to do (mixed matched units) but 1) he's the head coach of an NFL team so I'll defer here, 2) From what I heard it wasn't truly mix matched..

The crowd was rocking. Very loud.

"Hard Knocks crew member overheard saying "you guys have a hell of a crowd". Impressed with number of fans at Texans camp. "

I believe the #Texans quarterback competition has about another week left. This is not the beginning of it. Just my opinion.

"I trust Bill O’Brien with my career, so I feel like I’m going to get a fair shot," #Texans QB Ryan Mallett

Brian Hoyer on the #Texans receivers: "This is one of the best groups I have played with from top to bottom."

"Arian is making some good cuts and the receivers are running good routes," Brian Hoyer on what went well today. #Texans

Texans attendance today was 4,681 for the first practice of training camp.

Someone asked about Watt's elbow brace. Haven't asked in a bit, but he's said he hates it and wouldn't wear it if he didn't have to. #Texans

Akeem Dent, who is on PUP, had been wearing a boot throughout the offseason practices. No boot today. #Texans​

Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew
Look out for WR Alan Bonner as an option to return punts. He fielded a few today.

"Better conditioning & guys know what to expect.”-Nuk Hopkins on why tempo is quicker this #TexansCamp.​

So X was going with the second team Oline?
No, they're just giving some guys like Adams a few snaps with the 1s.

Last edited:
Everywhere. They're plugging and playing different guys on both sides. Part of OB's process, doesn't denote who's the starter. It's day one.

I'm listening on the radio and they're just talking about X. Also, They played clips from OB and the LG position was the only one that he talked about?

Do you have a specific name of other starters that didn't take the first reps? More specifically on the Oline....

I read the OB comments about having guys playing everywhere.

I just find it odd that X is the only guy I'm hearing about.

Back