Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans trade Osweiller to Browns

Serviceable? Maybe under the right circumstances..........

103613.jpg
Brock and me will get the last laugh.

I wouldn't rule out some moderate success in the league but it doesn't seem likely. So if Brock were to do well elsewhere, would it help the organization see the light concerning BOB and help them to decide to show him the door? Hmmmmmmmm

I've got an idea of what Brock's ultimate ceiling is. That's if everything went his way from here on out, the absolute best I think he would do. That ceiling falls in line with me saying earlier that I don't think it would have been possible for him to play well enough to earn that $19M/yr contract. That's not to say he won't be any good. There's a lot of good between league minimum & $19M/yr.

So, with that ceiling in mind, no. I don't think Brock can play so well that anyone would think O'b needs to be fired.

I also believe the working relationship between Brock & O'b is the main reason Osweiler isn't here.

I also believe the working relationship between Brock & O'b is the main reason Osweiler isn't here.
I think it's part of it but if Brock was moving the chains I think he'd still be here. At what point does qb behavior under BOB start to reflect on him and his role in bringing that behavior out? Point being that Brock going elsewhere and doing well would point to BOB's poor qb development not only physically but mentally as well which is where I think the problem is with BOB and his qb's. Not everyone can handle his in your face approach which seems to be pointed at the qb more than anyone.

Brock and me will get the last laugh.

fumble-1_npygbv.gif

In the meantime, the rest of us will be laughing at you and Brock. :heh:

I think it's part of it but if Brock was moving the chains I think he'd still be here. At what point does qb behavior under BOB start to reflect on him and his role in bringing that behavior out? Point being that Brock going elsewhere and doing well would point to BOB's poor qb development not only physically but mentally as well which is where I think the problem is with BOB and his qb's. Not everyone can handle his in your face approach which seems to be pointed at the qb more than anyone.

There are reports from 2016 training camp that Brock was not an accurate passer. That is kind of an important skill in scheme that requires, y'know, consistently accurate passing.

Where have you seen conflict between O'Brien and his QBs other than with Osweiler........who was going to do what he wanted to as made clear by him from the early press conference he held near the beginning of his Texans venue.........i.e., making it obvious that he was ultimately going to be uncoachable. And don't try to bring in Mallet's name.........Mallet who couldn't show enough discipline to get his butt out of bed to save his job.

Where have you seen conflict between O'Brien and his QBs other than with Osweiler........who was going to do what he wanted to as made clear by him from the early press conference he held near the beginning of his Texans venue.........i.e., making it obvious that he was ultimately going to be uncoachable. And don't try to bring in Mallet's name.........Mallet who couldn't show enough discipline to get his butt out of bed to save his job.

Mallet got his butt out of bed on time in 2014. & Osweiler seemed pretty coachable in Denver.

I haven't heard anything about Mallet missing planes in Baltimore. In fact, they wanted him back. We'll see how it goes in Cleveland for Osweiler, which is what I think Max is saying.

Brady and another guy that I won't try to bring up.

Because we'll probably open the season playing Brock Osweiler & the Cleveland Browns at NRG
PLEASE let this be true. The Texans will own the NFL record for most picks in a game, largest point differential in a game and sacks in a game. There's NO WAY Os is the starting QB for the Browns in 2017. I'll kiss your ass and give you an hour to draw a crowd if he is.

Because we'll probably open the season playing Brock Osweiler & the Cleveland Browns at NRG

PLEASE let this be true. The Texans will own the NFL record for most picks in a game, largest point differential in a game and sacks in a game. There's NO WAY Os is the starting QB for the Browns in 2017. I'll kiss your ass and give you an hour to draw a crowd if he is.

Rumors have us opening with the Jags.

I would tend to agree............but, again it is the Browns we're talking about.......

I agree with you that not many objected on Brock at the time. But after seeing that he was a failure here, there are a numerous amount (especially on TT) that would like to see someone in the FO fired for making the mistake. That's what I have a problem with. We can't plead for the FO take a chance on a QB, then slam them when it fails.

Sure we can.

It's not our job to be right....especially when the entire reason they had to make a desperation play for Os is because they got too cute with prior decisions.

Sure we can.

It's not our job to be right....especially when the entire reason they had to make a desperation play for Os is because they got too cute with prior decisions.

That is most definitely the perception around here - Missing on Bridgewater & Garappolo .... but maybe they just didn't think those guys were any better than the guy they did draft .... In Bridgewater's case , he hasn't don't a thing and was surrounded by a lot of talent early on , JimmyG looked competent when he got a shot but its a small sample size.

It is entirely possible that they were telling us the truth - they had them all evaluated relatively even and didn't care which one they got .... no need to move up and waste resources in that situation.

It is entirely possible that they were telling us the truth - they had them all evaluated relatively even and didn't care which one they got .... no need to move up and waste resources in that situation.

True. At the time I felt it was possible that O'b may have even preferred Tom Savage. They all had their pros & cons. Bortles was practically unknown until the draft process started & shot up the boards for literally no reason. Many felt his best quality was his size.

Bridgewater was the guy all year. He tumbled down the boards after failing to wear his glove at his pro day.

JFF, all five foot eleven & seven eights 188 lbs was the 2nd QB drafted.

All year Mettenberger was thought to be a 2nd year lock & the guy everyone thought was going to be a project (Logan Thomas) is drafted way ahead of him.

Opinions were all over the place in that draft.

That is most definitely the perception around here - Missing on Bridgewater & Garappolo .... but maybe they just didn't think those guys were any better than the guy they did draft .... In Bridgewater's case , he hasn't don't a thing and was surrounded by a lot of talent early on , JimmyG looked competent when he got a shot but its a small sample size.

And it's the Patriots so you know the rest of the machine is going to keep running smoothly. I'm convinced that Belichick could make a stick with a piece of dog poo on the end of it look like a pretty good QB prospect at this point.

At the very least he could beat the Texans with it.

Then I question their ability to evaluate talent

That would still make them wrong though. Their inability to evaluate QB's and to go out and get one either through trade or FA has been one failure after another. They simply haven't done anything to get the edge on any benefit of the doubt with the dire QB situation they're still in.

That's why I didn't name specific players in my post you quoted because it doesn't matter who I wanted, who you wanted, who anyone wanted.

It's the team's job to not have some of the worst qb play of all time. If they can't manage that then they shouldn't be employed there.

Then I question their ability to evaluate talent
Never cared that they passed on Bridgewater. Not when they passed, not after his first 28 NFL starts (just didn't see anything that made me think they might have missed out on someone special), and certainly not after his significant injury suffered in training camp last season (particularly given the concern of a slight build that was part of the reason I didn't care when they passed on him in the draft). Maybe Garoppolo will cause me some heartburn in that regard someday, but I'm not gonna pretend that two good starts (particularly when it's for the ultimate Super Bowl Champion) is doing that. Certainly no problem with passing up either of these two guys at this point.

Derek Carr on the otherhand.... I think if it's true that they passed on him because the fans wouldn't stand for it, then it's a pretty sad commentary on both the organization and the fans (although I expect little to nothing from the fans in all 32 cases).

Last edited:
That would still make them wrong though. Their inability to evaluate QB's and to go out and get one either through trade or FA has been one failure after another. They simply haven't done anything to get the edge on any benefit of the doubt with the dire QB situation they're still in.

Well said. Exactly my point.

It's not the fans' fault for wanting Manziel, or bridgewater or Carr or Os or Mallet or bortles or whoever....

The team has to be right or at least right enough to not have three different starters in three years and then heading into the fourth year still with a bunch of huge question marks.

A step in the right direction would be not having some of the worst qb play of all time.

So the Browns only want to ultimately pay $10m to acquire a 2nd round pick.

Despite what they are saying publicly, the Cleveland Browns would still prefer to unload Brock Osweiler at some point this offseason. In fact, they may even pay another team to take the quarterback off their hands.

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports that the Browns are willing to eat $10 million of the $16 million in guaranteed money Osweiler is owed in 2017 if a team wants to trade for him.....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...in-brock-osweiler-trade/ar-BBA5QSu?li=BBnb7Kz

And it's the Patriots so you know the rest of the machine is going to keep running smoothly. I'm convinced that Belichick could make a stick with a piece of dog poo on the end of it look like a pretty good QB prospect at this point.

At the very least he could beat the Texans with it.

What do you think he wants for the stick and piece of dog poo? Think we could get it for a 6th? :D

How many of the people trashing Brock now predicted he would be awesome and praised his training camp last year?

Brock Osweiler is the best quarterback the Browns have on their current roster. Why wouldn't he start Week 1 unless he suffers an injury? I just hope he doesn't play well and then people will question why it didn't work under Bill O'Brien. When clearly, Brock played some good ball with Kubiak in Denver a couple years ago.

Reactions: ROO
Andrew Siciliano

✔@AndrewSiciliano

Brock Osweiler asked why he thinks he's good enough to start:
"I think the proof is in the film for the past two years."

12:46 PM - 24 May 2017

Nate Ulrich @NateUlrichABJ
#Browns QB Brock Osweiler said I've really been able to grow here and I love being a Cleveland Brown.

12:38 PM - 24 May 2017

https://media.giphy.com/media/O5NyCibf93upy/giphy.gif

I almost spit out my drink when I read this. Seriously, LOL. Did he say it with a straight faced dead pan? When predictably his nfl career fizzles, he might have found his true calling in comedy.

I almost spit out my drink when I read this. Seriously, LOL. Did he say it with a straight faced dead pan? When predictably his nfl career fizzles, he might have found his true calling in comedy.

See post #887 above...
He did. Straight faced as all hell.

Back