Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Trade for Tunsil!!

mussop

Hall of Fame
Lol yep supposed leverage, b/c he really had none. Him getting what he wanted was hardly thru any great strategy on his part, it was thru bad strategy on ours. A win by default basically. Regardless, it doesn’t change the fact that he too got all butthurt and thru his little tantrum when he found out there was a deal on the table to ship his ass out. Ego hit of the highest order.

Why don’t u try getting outside of your feelings about BoB buttercup and see that both thru a tantrum?

But as I type this I’m reminded of the fact that Your reading comprehension is terrible and your inability to look at both sides of the coin is clouded by your hatred of all things BoB...so disregard, i’ll Let u have it.
Well he had enough “supposed” leverage to get the best of Buttchin. You literally are the only one who sees this as Clowney not OB being one in the wrong. All Clowney did was protect himself from being sent where he didn’t want to go. OB on the other hand literally acted irrationally and it was to his teams detriment.

Why don’t you try getting outside of your man love for everything BOB and realize that no matter how much you defend him, your fantasy of tossing his chin isn’t ever coming to fruition.

Last edited:

mussop

Hall of Fame
I dont understand this. Whether we did it at the time or two years from now, he's got us over the same barrel.

His agent knows this. We know this.

The only difference is we would know now what the cost is. Right now we don't know.
I disagree. We could of backed out before giving up the farm if his demands were crazy. now we’re literally tied up, bent over, ball gagged with no lube at his mercy.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Listening to SiriusXM NFL pregame show last night...
Although it was focused on GB/CHI and NFL 100, Brandt kind of out of nowhere brought up the Tunsil trade in a "Blueprint for Success" discussion about how to build a team.

Gil Brandt, "I think [the Texans] made a great trade. You want to protect a young quarterback, you’ve got to have that left tackle."

Pat Kirwin, also a former NFL front office guy, "When we left camp I asked Bill O’Brien ’What’s the number one priority here?’ and he said, ’I’ve got to protect this quarterback. We’ve got one of the best quarterbacks going right now, we can win a Super Bowl with this kid.’ so the Tunsil trade made total sense to me. And Will Fuller is always down with injury, so you go I out and get Kenny Stills! I thought it was a great trade."

Read this on the NFL site, thought it would fit in well here: "The Dolphins got a haul of draft picks in the trade, but picks can't block." Nuff said.

For those who are decrying the loss of draft picks.

:coffee:

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
We should trade all our future picks. The bottom line is picks can't block and we can get people who can block in return. It's a market inefficiency we should exploit.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
And two Gms

What's the vision?
1 GM should've been fired long before BOB was hired. Except he left for family reasons which had nothing to do with BOB.

2. I'm not going into this, but Gaine was hired by the owners for all of the wrong reasons. (Do you actually think BOB had a say in who was hired for the GM job?) Gaine was fired because he did something really Stoopid.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
1 GM should've been fired long before BOB was hired. Except he left for family reasons which had nothing to do with BOB.

2. I'm not going into this, but Gaine was hired by the owners for all of the wrong reasons. (Do you actually think BOB had a say in who was hired for the GM job?) Gaine was fired because he did something really Stoopid.
Yes I think obrien did hire gaine to be his yes man then fired him when he didn't want to do these stupid trades

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yes I think obrien did hire gaine to be his yes man then fired him when he didn't want to do these stupid trades
Well then you would be wrong,

The owners directly hire the GM's/HC's.

Example: Do you think RS hire BOB?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
What has gone south with any player,

besides Os who BOB obviously didn't want.

I'm just glad the team finally has a vision.
There was definitely a better way to handle the Andre Johnson situation, the Brandon Brooks situation, the Swearinger situation, the Ben Jones situation.

I'm just saying he needs to work on his people skills. I'm not saying he has to kiss their butts, but how you going to tell AJ we have three receivers better than you?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I disagree. We could of backed out before giving up the farm if his demands were crazy. now we’re literally tied up, bent over, ball gagged with no lube at his mercy.
Gotcha. You think there was a chance we'd back out.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
There was definitely a better way to handle the Andre Johnson situation, the Brandon Brooks situation, the Swearinger situation, the Ben Jones situation.

I'm just saying he needs to work on his people skills. I'm not saying he has to kiss their butts, but how you going to tell AJ we have three receivers better than you?
He told AJ the truth, there must not have been a problem since AJ is back in the org.

Brandon Brooks was a medical staff failure.

Swearinger is an idiot, how many teams has he been cut from since the Texans cut him.

They thought Martin would be an upgrade over Jones and he probably would've been if not for injuries.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

The lesson he has learned these past 5 years is that he has to have even fewer people skills.

The clowney situation is far worse than all the others combined

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
He told AJ the truth, there must not have been a problem since AJ is back in the org.

Swearinger is an idiot, how many teams has he been cut from since the Texans cut him.

They thought Martin would be an upgrade over Jones and he probably would've been if not for injuries.
In every situation it's not his job.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No idea. But I think he probably was part of the team to decide to bring in this QB coach
Agreed, I think RS made the final call though.

But that wasn't the question I asked.

Do you think BOB was RS choice for HC?

The McNair's make the calls on GM/HC positions.

You dont like BOB, blame this on the McNair's.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Agreed, I think RS made the final call though.

But that wasn't the question I asked.

Do you think BOB was RS choice for HC?

The McNair's make the calls on GM/HC positions.

You dont like BOB, blame this on the McNair's.
Yeah the owner makes the final call.

Where did I say otherwise?

frethack

Rookie
Love his disposition. Really glad he’s here. Price was hard to swallow but LT is such an important position and waiting another year to get one could set us back for a very long time. Hopefully he becomes an elite player that helps this team win it all. Only wish we had reworked his contract already. That’s the huge mistake not the price.
Exactly...if the regime breaks DW4, we are back in the stone age.

Its the fault of Obrien and the GM carousel that we were in the position where we MUST overpay, but hopefully they have done enough now to keep our QB upright and out of the tub. The more I watch Tunsil (and listen to Wade Smith) the more excited I am to have him.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Exactly...if the regime breaks DW4, we are back in the stone age.

Its the fault of Obrien and the GM carousel that we were in the position where we MUST overpay, but hopefully they have done enough now to keep our QB upright and out of the tub. The more I watch Tunsil (and listen to Wade Smith) the more excited I am to have him.
Can't assume Watson won't still get hurt.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Y'all are both right .... anyone, on any team, can get hurt, at anytime .... and our line, (because of the unrivaled neglect), is not good .... but, we have turned the corner. I expect it to improve continuously now .... but I still dread all of the talent we're going to miss out on, for the next 2 years !

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Y'all are both right .... anyone, on any team, can get hurt, at anytime .... and our line, (because of the unrivaled neglect), is not good .... but, we have turned the corner. I expect it to improve continuously now .... but I still dread all of the talent we're going to miss out on, for the next 2 years !
If it improves it will because of the guys we already have playing better, bargain bin free agents/waiver wire or mid-low draft picks

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If it improves it will because of the guys we already have playing better, bargain bin free agents/waiver wire or mid-low draft picks
Or maybe because they finally invested in the ol.

You still won't give them any credit. O will revisit this post. You're the kind of guy that can't be wrong.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Spot on

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Treating players like crap lowering their value and getting peanuts or nothing in return
You're fos, all of those guys were devalued and that had nothing to do with BOB. My post stands and I don't have time for this nonsense so I'm going to move on

disaacks3

Staff member
Treating players like crap lowering their value and getting peanuts or nothing in return
You're fos, all of those guys were devalued and that had nothing to do with BOB. My post stands and I don't have time for this nonsense so I'm going to move on
Clowney was worth a third, a project, and a scrub all this time? (with us adding in half his salary to boot!) C'mon now, let's be objective with the level of pooch-screw that trade was.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Clowney was worth a third, a project, and a scrub all this time? (with us adding in half his salary to boot!) C'mon now, let's be objective with the level of pooch-screw that trade was.
We were talking about AJ, Brooks,Jones.

BOB got raped in the Clowney deal

frethack

Rookie
The OL is nowhere close to decent
I have no idea what he OL will be this season, and neither do you.

With Tunsil as LT, the OL is likely to be better. Hopefully, with Howard and Scharping in the fold, the interior will be better. We will see.

austins23

Hall of Fame
I have no idea what he OL will be this season, and neither do you.

With Tunsil as LT, the OL is likely to be better. Hopefully, with Howard and Scharping in the fold, the interior will be better. We will see.
I agree the line should be better with Tunsil. But if two rookies are starting at both guard positions... OB better have lots of roll outs called cuz the defenses will be blitzing the crap outta those A gaps

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
I agree the line should be better with Tunsil. But if two rookies are starting at both guard positions... OB better have lots of roll outs called cuz the defenses will be blitzing the crap outta those A gaps
Going to be interesting to see what game plan our two headed o.c comes up with.

:coffee:

vupac1

Waterboy
They wouldn't have invested in Tunsil if they weren't going to re-sign him.

Learn some patience.
I think it's clear Texans FO WANT to re-sign him, which is why everyone thinks they should have made his agent agree to it before the trade (like the Mack deal)..
There is no guarantee that Tunsil will want to re-sign here after next year, so he has all the leverage to make Trent Brown's contract look like a rookie deal

vupac1

Waterboy
I dont understand this. Whether we did it at the time or two years from now, he's got us over the same barrel.

His agent knows this. We know this.

The only difference is we would know now what the cost is. Right now we don't know.
Probably because it's always cheaper to do it sooner rather than later, set the market rather than having to top the previous counterpart's contract

Texansballer74

The Marine
I was going to address Steel again but I will just sit back and watch everything unfolds. I've learned a long time ago when a person's mind is all made up. They're not trying to hear your side.

But what I do know is Watson will be running for his life again this season.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I was going to address Steel again but I will just sit back and watch everything unfolds. I've learned a long time ago when a person's mind is all made up. They're not trying to hear your side.

But what I do know is Watson will be running for his life again this season.
Until 2021. There's no money or high picks to improve it

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

This is about

What has gone south with any player,

besides Os who BOB obviously didn't want.
It's gone wrong with the players I mentioned. Yes, Aj is a big man, making peace with BO'b, but he never should have left.

Yeah, the Colts had two better receivers. We didn't. Want Hopkins to be the focus of the passing game? I doubt Andre would have a problem. But tell him, "I don't know if you'll start on this team." Just ridiculous.

Doesn't matter Brooks had a medical condition BO'b didn't know about. He didn't want to be here because of BO'b & we didn't have anyone better.

Ben Jones, again we didn't have anyone better. They let him go before the draft, again creating a need where there wasn't one & still, we don't have anyone better.

Swearinger. I don't think he's said anything negative about any of the other coaches who let him go.

IMO, he wanted to prove a point, that he don't need Gary's guys. & while that may have been true, wouldn't it make sense to coach whatever guys you have if they're good football players?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
No idea. But I think he probably was part of the team to decide to bring in this QB coach
He wasn't. During the whole process there were stories about McNair meeting with his advisers & meeting with BO'b & Rick was curiously left out of the meetings.

It's odd. McNair twice hired a GM with input from his HC. Never hired a HC with input from his GM.

As if he expects his HC to have a vision of the team & everyone else should be working to make that vision a reality.