Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Another NFL arranged event, brought to you by the organization that supposedly champions women's rights and players health. We should all trust the NFL to always do the right thing. :lol:
Yep. And it'll be a slobbering media covering his return as they act like they care about those issues, as well.

It's simply hypocritical pandering by the league and its media sycophants, and fans are fools if they believe they care about any of it beyond marketing schemes to increase revenues.

I'll probably just media blackout the week before and weeks after his return because I already know what is probably coming.

And of course it's the team we follow that has to have its nose rubbed in the shit for his return.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Because Caserio wasn't willing to eat any of Cooks salary. If he could've gotten a 2nd or a 3rd for Cooks he should have done it. It's like buying a draft pick and it's not like they're going to be players for top tier FA's anyways.

See, I don't defend everything Caserio does.
Agreed. I’d pay 18 million to add another Pitre who is going to play hard regardless of the score unlike a vet who may throw a temper tantrum while being paid…

badboy

Hall of Fame
Agreed. I’d pay 18 million to add another Pitre who is going to play hard regardless of the score unlike a vet who may throw a temper tantrum while being paid…
Maybe it wasn't so much eating part of the 18 million or the second round pick but perhaps it was the alleged fourth rounder? Maybe Nick is so ecstatic about getting Pierce that he thought lightning could strike twice in that round.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Because Caserio wasn't willing to eat any of Cooks salary. If he could've gotten a 2nd or a 3rd for Cooks he should have done it. It's like buying a draft pick and it's not like they're going to be players for top tier FA's anyways.

Caserio created the problem making Cooks trade improbable by restructuring Cooks contract not once but twice. Cooks should have been gone before 2021 season.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Caserio created the problem making Cooks trade improbable by restructuring Cooks contract not once but twice. Cooks should have been gone before 2021 season.
Unlike most around these parts, I will admit when I'm wrong.

I wanted Mills to be well protected and have good weapons to throw too. Unfortunately Cooks isn't the leader I thought he was. I thought Collins could learn from Cooks as he grew in the NFL game. In short, Cooks could show Collins how Pro's prepare so that they can be successful. I'm not just talking about on the field.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Feel no sympathy for this dude. His eyes got big when he saw the 18 million guaranteed. He signed it knowing what this team had it store for this year. Be a professional, come back and honor your contract you clown. There’s always the offseason and next year for you to be traded.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Cooks has no one to blame but the man staring back at him in the mirror. He signed an extension that his agent should've reminded him was going to make him a Texan until 2024. At that time the dead cap hit would be a little over 8M. He will be done with his Texans commitment at the start of the 2025 season and at the age of 32.

Pouting time is over. Not one GM thought high enough of Cooks to justify the cost, not to mention the financial hit the Texans would be required to take. It's time for Cooks to pull his big-boy pants up and start playing like his next contract is on the line. This stunt has nothing but financial backfire written all over it.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Random thought. If we feel that Mills needs more talent around him to give him a fair shake and evaluation. Does the same goes for Lovie and his defensive scheme? When you look at the Texans' front seven, which starting DL/LBs are fits for what Lovie wants to do on defense? Would a talent upgrade provide a better evaluation of the defensive scheme?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Random thought. If we feel that Mills needs more talent around him to give him a fair shake and evaluation. Does the same goes for Lovie and his defensive scheme? When you look at the Texans' front seven, which starting DL/LBs are fits for what Lovie wants to do on defense? Would a talent upgrade provide a better evaluation of the defensive scheme?
I completely agree, but I would like to see Lovie hire a DC so he can focus on the entire team 100% of the time. Like I mentioned before, I don’t think it would hurt to have a fresh set of young eyes on the Tampa 2 Defense.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Let’s imagine there are 32 teams in the league. Of those the Texans are ranked 32 in run defense three years in a row.

Do you think the team ranked 31, 30, or even 29 have better “talent” than the Texans?

right now the Texans aren’t 32nd but they’re trending that way.

Reactions: JB

76Texan

Hall of Fame

The Texans and the Cowboys were close to make a deal, but they don't have time to negotiate the financial part of it.

This was made harder because Nick Caserio restructured Cooks' contract.

When he did, I said it looks Ike Cook is going to be here for awhile for that reason.

Xopher

Rookie
The Texans and the Cowboys were close to make a deal, but they don't have time to negotiate the financial part of it.

When he did, I said it looks Ike Cook is going to be here for awhile for that reason.
Restructuring the contract wasn't a bad idea at the time. Cooks had said he didn't not want to be traded again and wouldn't be traded again. He wanted the extension. He knew the state of the team before he signed. Now all of a sudden after Easterby is fired he changes his tune and wants out. Now I'd have eaten a large portion of that contract for a 2nd and 4th. If Nick was going to get that draft capital and wouldn't eat that money, then he is an idiot. Especially when he probably knew Cooks would pull this.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
The offensive line is in the second tier according to a number of websites I've been perusing (and it matches what I saw).
The skill positions are underrated by their own fans.
Mills just didn't see some open receivers or his accuracy has been inconsistent.

It would take a lot to improve those as well as the defensive side.

That's the draw back of a mediocre QB.
If you invest heavily on offense, the D will continue to suffer.

In Seattle, for example, Wilson had had to deal with a poor offensive line for years, but he made up for that shortcoming so that the Seahawks can invest on defense.

Same thing with Luck in Indianapolis.

You just can't have everything unless you're lucky for a couple of years.

Then you'll have to pay.

I remember the time when I said the Broncos were lucky to get some young talents that blossom around the same time.

Then they win that SB.

But after that, they just can't afford to pay everybody.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Restructuring the contract wasn't a bad idea at the time. Cooks had said he didn't not want to be traded again and wouldn't be traded again. He wanted the extension. He knew the state of the team before he signed. Now all of a sudden after Easterby is fired he changes his tune and wants out. Now I'd have eaten a large portion of that contract for a 2nd and 4th. If Nick was going to get that draft capital and wouldn't eat that money, then he is an idiot. Especially when he probably knew Cooks would pull this.
We don't know what's going on behind close doors.

The way things have been going, my thinking is that Cooks signed up with the caveat that the team improves.

Nobody wants to get stuck on a bad team.

So his out could have been exactly what is happening.
If the Texans aren't competitive, he'd like to be traded to a contender.

That what I read from his tweet.
"Crossing the line with my career".

It sure sounded to me like there was such a "gentlemen agreement" in that vein.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
True but he was paid to be a leader in the locker room and the guy that was the front man for the Texans when it came to talking to the media.

Was it a mistake to pay Cooks? Yes, I could see myself doing the same thing given the circumstances

76Texan

Hall of Fame
The NFL and Vegas.
It's just entertainment baby.

Don't forget that the NFL is registered under the Entertainment Category.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
True but he was paid to be a leader in the locker room and the guy that was the front man for the Texans when it came to talking to the media.

Was it a mistake to pay Cooks? Yes, I could see myself doing the same thing given the circumstances
You can't pay for culture. Culture happens when you win. You don't need all these guys to smile and claim to be leaders like KGH,Cooks,and Burkhead. You need guys like Tunsil who shows up, goes to work and do their job. The qb for the most part leads the team along with some vested vets.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one

Can we give Caserio a pass for the Cooks restructures on the basis that he was an Easterby guy?

As in a remnant of the Obrien/Easterby takeover of the org that swaps Hopkins for David Johnson, a 2nd rounder and later Cooks through FA because he’s a supposed character guy, the owner sees light and moves on from OB but then Easterby remains.

Now Jack is gone.

Now the owner realises he has a problem of an aging receiver with diminishing production on a fully guaranteed contract who is not going to have good character without his character coach?

So Caserio is willing to deal him but can’t quite make the deal.

Im not willing to bag on Caserio, I still think this is a holdover problem from the previous regime. I think given the huge cap space the Texans have, the fact they won’t be attractive to the best FAs and they aren’t going to be 1 or 2 players away anyway, I think Texans should be buying draft picks by eating that salary, and I also think they ought to be open to Osweiler style trades of other teams’ mistakes next season to give them ammunition to build out the OL, front 7 and a legit QB.

Give Nick 5 years total to sort this team out. It’s a shame the first 2 years of that have been somewhat wasted on crap coaching and some pissing about with players who follow the cult of Jack. The handcuffs are off now.

I think if he gets a good enough coach he has shown he’s able to give Lovie and Pep players they want through the draft so far.

Im wanting to see how Nick handles when his draftees begin coming up for second contracts, is he then able to keep the franchise guys, allow the ones that don’t give value to walk and replace. That is the true test. All this flapping about losing 6th round picks and restructuring some terrible contracts is unimportant in the long run.

Texansballer74

The Marine
It was said Jerry Jones waited until the last minute. That’s why the trade didn’t get done.

Texian

Hall of Fame

This may be one of Caserio's greatest all-time FUBARS. Before the 2021 season, Caserio restructured Cooks contract to the tune of $6MM and voided the 2023 season. Prior to the 2022 season Caserio gave Cooks a new contract guaranteeing $36MM that expired after 2024. So if Caserio ends up cutting or trading Cooks for a day 2 or day 3 draft pick that creates $34 million in Dead Cap money. No NFL GM has pissed away more money than the Texans' Nick Caserio. The evidence still shows that Nick Caserio has no idea what he's doing.

This is just another episode of the nightmare of Bill O'Brien's 2020s decade of the destruction of the total embarrassment of the Houston Texans. The Texans are pissing away the DW4 ransom the way Caserio pisses away cash. I didn't think all of the 2021 Caserio SNAFUs could get any worse but Nick is giving 2021 a run for its money in 2022. It is no coincidence that all of the players are jumping for joy the day they get their freedom from Stalag Caserio.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
This may be one of Caserio's greatest all-time FUBARS. Before the 2021 season, Caserio restructured Cooks contract to the tune of $6MM and voided the 2023 season. Prior to the 2022 season Caserio gave Cooks a new contract guaranteeing $36MM that expired after 2024. So if Caserio ends up cutting or trading Cooks for a day 2 or day 3 draft pick that creates $34 million in Dead Cap money. No NFL GM has pissed away more money than the Texans' Nick Caserio. The evidence still shows that Nick Caserio has no idea what he's doing.

This is just another episode of the nightmare of Bill O'Brien's 2020s decade of the destruction of the total embarrassment of the Houston Texans. The Texans are pissing away the DW4 ransom the way Caserio pisses away cash. I didn't think all of the 2021 Caserio SNAFUs could get any worse but Nick is giving 2021 a run for its money in 2022. It is no coincidence that all of the players are jumping for joy the day they get their freedom from Stalag Caserio.
What!!!!

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I completely agree, but I would like to see Lovie hire a DC so he can focus on the entire team 100% of the time. Like I mentioned before, I don’t think it would hurt to have a fresh set of young eyes on the Tampa 2 Defense.
Honestly, I have my doubts that this would change much. Lovie would still dictate his conservative philosophy to the DC (and expect it to be carried out..........just like his conservative influence on the OC).

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Lovie Smith on Tavierre Thomas: ‘One of the toughest guys on our team’

HOUSTON – Tavierre Thomas’ return from a quadriceps injury did more than provide the defense and special teams with an experienced defensive back.

His presence injects a physical nature and grit into a beleaguered defense that has allowed the most rushing yards per game through eight games in the league.

A former walk-on who earned a scholarship and became an All-American at Ferris State in Michigan, Thomas is an outstanding tackler who plays the game with an enthusiastic, infectious style.

He didn’t start against the Philadelphia Eagles during a 29-17 loss Thursday, but he played 11 snaps on defense (17 percent of the overall playing time) and 20 snaps on special teams (87 percent of the kicking game snaps). He finished with two tackles.

Going forward, the Texans plan to have Thomas contribute as a nickel back along with starting nickel Desmond King.

“First off, just excited about getting Tavierre back into the mix,” Texans coach Lovie Smith said. “One of the toughest guys on our team, plays hard, everything we’re about is who he is. Now, we’ve got to work to get him back into the mix. Desmond King can play some different things, too.

“He can play nickel, he can play some corner and our plan of what we’re trying to do is play multiple guys at all positions, defensively. We’ll find a way to get him back but it’s good to see playing some nickel, being a gunner on the punt team and we’ll get him more and more.”

Thomas’ training camp injury represented a setback to the Texans’ defense and special-teams units.

Thomas had a career-high 86 tackles and two interceptions last season in 16 games with one forced fumble. He played 56 percent of the defensive snaps and 67 percent of the special teams’ snaps.

Signed to a two-year, $4 million contract last year that includes $2 million guaranteed with a $1 million signing bonus, Thomas started a career-high three games last season.

The former undrafted free agent from Ferris State had a breakthrough season last year for the Texans and consistently drew praise from Smith.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Lovie Smith on Tavierre Thomas: ‘One of the toughest guys on our team’

HOUSTON – Tavierre Thomas’ return from a quadriceps injury did more than provide the defense and special teams with an experienced defensive back.

His presence injects a physical nature and grit into a beleaguered defense that has allowed the most rushing yards per game through eight games in the league.

A former walk-on who earned a scholarship and became an All-American at Ferris State in Michigan, Thomas is an outstanding tackler who plays the game with an enthusiastic, infectious style.

He didn’t start against the Philadelphia Eagles during a 29-17 loss Thursday, but he played 11 snaps on defense (17 percent of the overall playing time) and 20 snaps on special teams (87 percent of the kicking game snaps). He finished with two tackles.

Going forward, the Texans plan to have Thomas contribute as a nickel back along with starting nickel Desmond King.

“First off, just excited about getting Tavierre back into the mix,” Texans coach Lovie Smith said. “One of the toughest guys on our team, plays hard, everything we’re about is who he is. Now, we’ve got to work to get him back into the mix. Desmond King can play some different things, too.

“He can play nickel, he can play some corner and our plan of what we’re trying to do is play multiple guys at all positions, defensively. We’ll find a way to get him back but it’s good to see playing some nickel, being a gunner on the punt team and we’ll get him more and more.”

Thomas’ training camp injury represented a setback to the Texans’ defense and special-teams units.

Thomas had a career-high 86 tackles and two interceptions last season in 16 games with one forced fumble. He played 56 percent of the defensive snaps and 67 percent of the special teams’ snaps.

Signed to a two-year, $4 million contract last year that includes $2 million guaranteed with a $1 million signing bonus, Thomas started a career-high three games last season.

The former undrafted free agent from Ferris State had a breakthrough season last year for the Texans and consistently drew praise from Smith.
Happy that Thomas is back. I’d like to see the team move King to safety ahead of Owens and re-insert Thomas as the nickel. That would improve the tackling in the secondary .

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
... yay?

I really think if we get #1 pick we should be trading back a few spots I'm not sure the QB's this draft are it and I think we could get something shiny from the Panthers/Lions if they really want their QB.
Yep, I would ask for Burns and a 2023 pick swap, plus a 2024 1st/3rd and a 2023 3rd.

1. Getting a really good pass rusher and a high 3rd to add another top 100 player.

2. Can still get Carter or Anderson.

3. Loading up with draft picks in 2024 to get a QB if needed

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Hyper insecure North Texas media puts out an article about Texans' season @ midpoint:
The Texans 1-6- 1 Start Tells A Story ... and So Does Our Report Card. HOUSTON -- If the NFL season was over today, the Houston Texans would own the second overall pick of the draft. At the midway point of the regular season, the Texans are off to a 1-6-1 start. TOP VIDEOS
They can't stop the run, ranking last in the NFL and there are significant big-picture decisions awaiting them in the offseason about the all-important quarterback position. Their only win is over the Jacksonville Jaguars, to go with a tie against the Indianapolis Colts. It's been another disappointing season. One year removed from David Culley's ill-fated one-and-done season, the results aren't much different under coach Lovie Smith.
Secondary: B This is the best part of the Texans' defense. Signed to a two-year, $9 million contract, veteran Steven Nelson has been solid every game and has made some big plays. First-round draft pick Derek Stingley Jr. hasn't allowed a touchdown pass. He's given up an 85.9 passer rating to opposing quarterbacks, but he keeps getting better and better.
Quarterback: D In his second season as the starter, quarterback Davis Mills has regressed statistically after an encouraging finish to his rookie season. Yes, Mills lacks outstanding skill personnel to work with outside of running back.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/article268392362.html#storylink=cpy

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/article268392362.html#storylink=cpy

Running back: A Dameon Pierce is a violent, punishing runner. The fourth-round draft pick from Florida is a strong candidate for NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year honors. He has energized the Texans' running game, ranking fourth in the NFL entering Sunday's game in rushing yards. Pierce's impact speaks volumes, transforming the Texans' offense into a run-first, smash-mouth approach.
If the editor of the Fort Worth Star Telegram is found dead tomorrow then you know that Jerry Jones hired hit man was successful.

Last edited:

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Could you post the text so those of us with ad-blockers can read? Thanks.
Thorn I don't a have a sub to the Star-Telegram so dunno why you are being blocked as I wasn't but I'll still copy & paste some of it.
"
Seculation about their plans for the NFL draft have already begun in earnest, especially talk about Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud, Alabama quarterback Bryce Young and Alabama pass rusher Will Anderson Jr. The Texans have been outscored by 50 points overall, falter consistently in the fourth quarter in addition to trademark slow starts."