Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Hyper insecure North Texas media puts out an article about Texans' season @ midpoint:
The Texans 1-6- 1 Start Tells A Story ... and So Does Our Report Card. HOUSTON -- If the NFL season was over today, the Houston Texans would own the second overall pick of the draft. At the midway point of the regular season, the Texans are off to a 1-6-1 start. TOP VIDEOS
They can't stop the run, ranking last in the NFL and there are significant big-picture decisions awaiting them in the offseason about the all-important quarterback position. Their only win is over the Jacksonville Jaguars, to go with a tie against the Indianapolis Colts. It's been another disappointing season. One year removed from David Culley's ill-fated one-and-done season, the results aren't much different under coach Lovie Smith.
Secondary: B This is the best part of the Texans' defense. Signed to a two-year, $9 million contract, veteran Steven Nelson has been solid every game and has made some big plays. First-round draft pick Derek Stingley Jr. hasn't allowed a touchdown pass. He's given up an 85.9 passer rating to opposing quarterbacks, but he keeps getting better and better.
Quarterback: D In his second season as the starter, quarterback Davis Mills has regressed statistically after an encouraging finish to his rookie season. Yes, Mills lacks outstanding skill personnel to work with outside of running back.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/article268392362.html#storylink=cpy

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/article268392362.html#storylink=cpy

Running back: A Dameon Pierce is a violent, punishing runner. The fourth-round draft pick from Florida is a strong candidate for NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year honors. He has energized the Texans' running game, ranking fourth in the NFL entering Sunday's game in rushing yards. Pierce's impact speaks volumes, transforming the Texans' offense into a run-first, smash-mouth approach.
If the editor of the Fort Worth Star Telegram is found dead tomorrow then you know that Jerry Jones hired hit man was successful.
? Seems like it says the same thing that most of us have been saying so why is it considered coming from hyper insecure? Also why would Jerry Jones have any concern about the Texans or any report about them?
Puzzling

? Seems like it says the same thing that most of us have been saying so why is it considered coming from hyper insecure? Also why would Jerry Jones have any concern about the Texans or any report about them?
Puzzling

Jerry needs to strictly focus on how his Cowboys will duck up this years semi-wet dream.

Puzzling
No puzzle here Badboy.
JJ does not want anybody in the North Texas media producing any content about another NFL franchise in the state of Texas
because it might suggest to NT residents that there's another NFL franchise in the state besides the one he owns.

No puzzle here Badboy.
JJ does not want anybody in the North Texas media producing any content about another NFL franchise in the state of Texas
because it might suggest to NT residents that there's another NFL franchise in the state besides the one he owns.
San Antonio Sidewinders?
Austin Armadillos?

No puzzle here Badboy.
Why do you think Jones pushed for Houston to be awarded the 32nd Franchise?

1064a3dc1663c0952104baf18bf8961f.jpg

Wade on the Texans game. Sorry if duplicate post. Didn’t see this posted.

Valid counter point. And if I remember correctly LA would have gotten the team had they had a valid proposal put together but they couldn’t get one done. There was serious push but they were late to the game.
They were close enough to be the other finalist...

The reason Houston got the bid over LA is that McNair and Houston's proposal included a brand-new spanking stadium. LA's proposal was to continue to play in the Colosseum. The reason the NFL approved the move of the Rams to LA is that Rams owner Stan Kroenke promised he would build a new state of the art stadium.

Some Texans League Rankings

Offense
26. Points per Game - 16.6
29. Yards per game - 290.5
30. Plays per Game - 58.3
30. First Downs per Game - 16.8
30. Third Down Conversion Percentage - 31.07%
--------------------------------------
Defense
19. Opponent Points per Game - 22.9
30. Opponent Yards per Game - 398.1
30. Opponent Plays per Game - 66.5
30. Opponent Yards per Play - 6.0
--------------------------------------
One semi bright spot
Penalties
8. Penalties per Game - 5.4
7. Penalty Yards per Game 42.3

I dunno can you document your claim that Jones was pro-Houston NFL franchise ?
"Houston is one of my favorite places in the country," Jones said. "No one worked or stood any harder on the table to have [a franchise] return to Houston. As a matter of fact, I actually had the rights to the name 'Texans' when Houston came. Bob McNair wanted that name, and I agreed to stand down and [figured] that would be great for them to call it the Texans."
link

Hopefully, Cal is looking over the Astros fence and seeing the mountains of money to be had with a winning team.
Merch sales are through the roof.

Can't even remember the last time I bought Texans gear or asked for it as a gift. It's all been replaced by Astros gear. Infact I already know I'm getting two authentic Astros jerseys for Christmas (one of the few benefits of having divorced parents). Last thing I probably got that had a Texans logo was a Texans COVID mask with #4 on it, I picked up at a gas station.. then the crap hit the fan a week later and I couldn't even wear the damn thing.

Last edited:
Hopefully, Cal is looking over the Astros fence and seeing the mountains of money to be had with a winning team.
Merch sales are through the roof.

Still not close to the mountain of money NFL teams make. They could have zero tickets sold, zero concessions and merchandise and still blow away any other sport. So money isn’t really an issue for Cal.

It only really matters if he wants to see people around town wearing his gear and getting excited about his team like they do for the Astros. Only if that’s important to him might things change. Otherwise it’s likely to just be business as usual.

And to be clear, even though the stadium is half empty, those tickets are still being bought. 68,000+ every game.

"McNair launched an initiative that included an online survey in the hopes of landing their mascot, narrowing the choices down to names like the Bobcats, Wildcatters, Stallions, Apollos and yes, the Texans."
And McNair IMO chose the worst option in that very limited and unimaginative list of possible nicknames which stands for exactly nothing meaningful or significant about the city of Houston.

Still not close to the mountain of money NFL teams make. They could have zero tickets sold, zero concessions and merchandise and still blow away any other sport. So money isn’t really an issue for Cal.

It only really matters if he wants to see people around town wearing his gear and getting excited about his team like they do for the Astros. Only if that’s important to him might things change. Otherwise it’s likely to just be business as usual.

And to be clear, even though the stadium is half empty, those tickets are still being bought. 68,000+ every game.
Sure, Texans revenue last year 571million cf Astros 388million, but how much will Astros make from merch?
You don't think Texans merch would outsell the Astros?

Billionaires always seem to want to make more. Money isn’t an issue for Crane but if he’s anything like most billionaires that we are “blessed” to share this earth with he wants more.

Reactions: JB
Billionaires always seem to want to make more. Money isn’t an issue for Crane but if he’s anything like most billionaires that we are “blessed” to share this earth with he wants more.

Not saying they don't want more. But there are some who can and are willing to sit there and do nothing and still make tons. NFL is that for even the worst of the worst. The Bengals owner seemed to be that way for years.

A little different for baseball because they've got to go find revenue streams, which helps if you're a winning organization, but how much are the Oakland A's making drawing 3,000 for weeknight games for most of the year? Hell, the Rays can't draw fans even when they're good.

Could be totally off because I don't know the man, but Cal strikes me as a guy that ain't looking to put a whole lot of effort into it. He's good just cashing the giant checks he's getting.

Not saying they don't want more. But there are some who can and are willing to sit there and do nothing and still make tons. NFL is that for even the worst of the worst. The Bengals owner seemed to be that way for years.

A little different for baseball because they've got to go find revenue streams, which helps if you're a winning organization, but how much are the Oakland A's making drawing 3,000 for weeknight games for most of the year? Hell, the Rays can't draw fans even when they're good.

Could be totally off because I don't know the man, but Cal strikes me as a guy that ain't looking to put a whole lot of effort into it. He's good just cashing the giant checks he's getting.
That’s interesting because I’ve felt the opposite. I don’t know what his motivation is but I’ve felt that he’s involved+incompetent. With the level of incompetence he’s shown I wish he would hire someone to run it for him, cash his checks, and use his influence very sparingly

"McNair launched an initiative that included an online survey in the hopes of landing their mascot, narrowing the choices down to names like the Bobcats, Wildcatters, Stallions, Apollos and yes, the Texans."
And McNair IMO chose the worst option in that very limited and unimaginative list of possible nicknames which stands for exactly nothing meaningful or significant about the city of Houston.
What does that have to do with Jones?

How much effort would it take to demand more from his top people?

That’s interesting because I’ve felt the opposite. I don’t know what his motivation is but I’ve felt that he’s involved+incompetent. With the level of incompetence he’s shown I wish he would hire someone to run it for him, cash his checks, and use his influence very sparingly
A new shirt for Cal ..

I and I.

Involved and incompetent!

There are a few teams I wouldn’t want to trade places with:

Raiders - New HC and GM not maximizing their talent on offense and no defense. McDaniels may be sunk again.

Jags - Its the jags.

Broncos - Draft picks and cap space spent on a QB who may be washed up.

Browns - No explanation needed.

Colts - Hired a High School football coach as HC. Bold strategy cotton.

WFT - Legal problems out the kazoo.

Raiders - New HC and GM not maximizing their talent on offense and no defense. McDaniels may be sunk again.

Jags - Its the jags.

Three of them, yeah.

Other three, though, (Raiders, Broncos, Colts) have championship trophies in their offices and I would not be surprised at all when they make it to the playoffs before the Texans even have a winning record.

Texas are basically the same as Jags, Browns, and Commanders with regards to what to expect in the future, which expectations should be kept low all things considered.

Three of them, yeah.

Other three, though, (Raiders, Broncos, Colts) have championship trophies in their offices and I would not be surprised at all when they make it to the playoffs before the Texans even have a winning record.

Texas are basically the same as Jags, Browns, and Commanders with regards to what to expect in the future, which expectations should be kept low all things considered.

Disagree.

Those trophies all have dust on them and are either almost a decade old or decades old. I don’t hear anyone from Denver saying it’s a bad year but what about that trophy we won in 2016? Irsay is the only one who has said I won a Super Bowl in 2007 so I know how to build a team. And then hires Jeff Saturday who has the coaching experience of a high school 3A coach. Yeah - let’s be more like that.

Too often people get too focused on the past. You can’t drive forward always looking in the rear view mirror. Nostalgia doesn’t create a better future. Otherwise we are no different than a Cowboys fans.

Are we the people who peaked in high school? No the best is in front. In true Texans fashion we are waiting for next year

My post was about what is moving forward. Moving forward our future is brighter than the teams I listed. Broncos and Raiders are spinning their wheels. They aren’t winning their division and may be a wild card hopeful if lucky for the next two years. The Colts have no direction. It’s Tennessee’s division to lose the next two years.

Disagree.

Those trophies all have dust on them and are either almost a decade old or decades old. I don’t hear anyone from Denver saying it’s a bad year but what about that trophy we won in 2016? Irsay is the only one who has said I won a Super Bowl in 2007 so I know how to build a team. And then hires Jeff Saturday who has the coaching experience of a high school 3A coach. Yeah - let’s be more like that.

Too often people get too focused on the past. You can’t drive forward always looking in the rear view mirror. Nostalgia doesn’t create a better future. Otherwise we are no different than a Cowboys fans.

Are we the people who peaked in high school? No the best is in front. In true Texans fashion we are waiting for next year

My post was about what is moving forward. Moving forward our future is brighter than the teams I listed. Broncos and Raiders are spinning their wheels. They aren’t winning their division and may be a wild card hopeful if lucky for the next two years. The Colts have no direction. It’s Tennessee’s division to lose the next two years.

Watch NFL Films and listen to new players speak about when they join a franchise and see the glory of past championships. It matters.

All I'm saying is the teams that have had success have a blueprint to get back to it. They have standards set by past teams.

The Texans have nothing of the sort. They flounder, they huff and puff, and then they send out invoices for season tickets.

We can agree to disagree. Just remember this conversation in the coming years as those three times rise again and the Texans are still looking for a head coach that can win more than he loses.

Disagree.

excellent post man.

Watch NFL Films and listen to new players speak about when they join a franchise and see the glory of past championships. It matters.

All I'm saying is the teams that have had success have a blueprint to get back to it. They have standards set by past teams.

The Texans have nothing of the sort. They flounder, they huff and puff, and then they send out invoices for season tickets.

We can agree to disagree. Just remember this conversation in the coming years as those three times rise again and the Texans are still looking for a head coach that can win more than he loses.
The Raiders haven't won a playoff game since 2003...

Jags - Its the jags.

I thought that might be appropriate for your comment.

I appreciate your ability to disagree with me.

I don’t think Tyreek Hill went to the Dolphins because they had an undefeated season and won the Super Bowl. I don’t think Brady went to Tampa for their one Super Bowl they won. It’s about money. Always about money.

That blueprint to get to the Super Bowl wasn’t what Tampa used that got them there the first time. Or Denver. This league has evolved even from when Manning won his first Super Bowl. What Indy did then isn’t going to do it if they want to get back. The only person that may not have to adjust is maybe Belicheck? But even then how will he catch lightning in a bottle like he did with Brady?

I can’t buy in on the blueprint theory. Kansas City may be able to employ that theory because they were just there. They have an advantage over Buffalo. But a team that hasn’t won one recently has an out dated blueprint.

What the Steelers did with Rothlesberger ain’t working now. Or what the Jets did with Joe Namath. Or Denver with Manning/Elway. Which that team will prove my point eventually. I don’t think they will get a Championship with Wilson. Nothing going right there.

To win a Super Bowl so much depends on health, luck and timing.

Back