Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Why did Nick re-up Cooks when he didn't have to? If you tell me it was Jack's call, then Caserio is weaker than I originally thought. Why did they let Cooks speak or have a presser after his pout? Yet, they just put their head in the sand and act like nothing was going on.
You do know that Jack was over Caserio? How often do you tell your boss to **** off?

Why did Nick re-up Cooks when he didn't have to? If you tell me it was Jack's call, then Caserio is weaker than I originally thought. Why did they let Cooks speak or have a presser after his pout? Yet, they just put their head in the sand and act like nothing was going on.
Just my two cents but I believe that Nicky decided that was a battle he did not want to fight.

You do know that Jack was over Caserio? How often do you tell your boss to **** off?
Nick was over everything roster related and contracts. Esterbe was over travel and the other bs they claimed he was over. Nic extended or cut who he wanted without Esterbunny input. Those are known facts.

Nick was over everything roster related and contracts. Esterbe was over travel and the other bs they claimed he was over. Nic extended or cut who he wanted without Esterbunny input. Those are known facts.
That may be... I wouldn't know. Jack was VP of Football Operations and listed on the Texans website Nick and Lovie worked in the football operations for him. I'm sure if Jack suggested to restructure Cooks contract then Cal and Nick would go for it. It all went south when Jack left, Cooks didn't just wake up one morning wanting out until Jack was gone

Simply he wanted Cooks to be a team leader and show the young WR's what it takes to be a professional both on and off the field. Sadly his play dropped off after he got paid and he totally checked out after Easterby left.

Who here actually thought Cooks was this guy?

Imagine if everybody on the team played like Pierce and Hughes do every game…
All-pros, both of them not that I expect any newspaper guys to give them any votes this year !
Upcoming homes games are the Commandoes, Browns, Chiefs, & Jags one of which and maybe two will very possibly be victories for your Texans which I'm concerned about because it would likely cost us the top pick because we are of course in full rebuild mode so at this point in the season what's the point in winning any more games, which IMO would be counter productive?

Random thought. Watching Mills go 6-13 for 35 yards at half time. I was wondering about some of the offensive changes. I don't have the stats on how many snaps he is taking under center versus in the shotgun or even a comparison with last year. However, it seems because Pep wants to run a play action-based offense, he is spending more time under center than he did last year. It "feels" like he is under center more than ever.

The BOB/Kelly ED offense was shotgun heavy. Could it be that another reason for Mills' struggles is playing from under center, the heavy play action passes and his back to the defense has made him slower on his post snap reads?

Random thought. Watching Mills go 6-13 for 35 yards at half time. I was wondering about some of the offensive changes. I don't have the stats on how many snaps he is taking under center versus in the shotgun or even a comparison with last year. However, it seems because Pep wants to run a play action-based offense, he is spending more time under center than he did last year. It "feels" like he is under center more than ever.

The BOB/Kelly ED offense was shotgun heavy. Could it be that another reason for Mills' struggles is playing from under center, the heavy play action passes and his back to the defense has made him slower on his post snap reads?
To run the Stanford WCO (Bill Walsh's tree), there will be play action from the I formation with the QB under center.

That said, the Texans only tied 17th in Play Action, and about half of the time as much as the league leading Vikings (48 vs 93).

Overall 48 times out of 296 is just 1/6th of the time.

Could be but the way he’s missing his receivers has nothing to do with that particular change. To me it’s more of a confidence thing because last season he wasn’t missing his receivers like this during those last five games.

I am gonna take some heat, but I am really starting to warm up to the idea of taking Stroud this draft.
I don't have a preference yet; still trying to learn more about them.
I think this class is wide open; from pocket passers to true dual-threat QBs.

As a Cougar alumni, I just have to include Clayton Tune.

There are several game films of his and the UH Cougars on YouTube.

You or anybody interested can just start with the highlights from each year.
They show a number of things he can do better than Mills like:
Throwing on the run, improvising when the play breaks down, throw across his body, throw while pedaling backward, run left throw right and vice versa, throw muddy in a tight pocket, etc.
He knows to look off defenders or freeze the safety for a split second, unless he knows the first read will get open.
Follow his eye movement after he takes the snap.

Throwing on the run, improvising when the play breaks down, throw across his body, throw while pedaling backward, run left throw right and vice versa, throw muddy in a tight pocket, etc.
He knows to look off defenders or freeze the safety for a split second, unless he knows the first read will get open.
No sir lol I am a big Cougars fan and Tune doesn’t have it. If drafted he’ll go around the 5th round.

No sir lol I am a big Cougars fan and Tune doesn’t have it. If drafted he’ll go around the 5th round.
I won't be surprised if he goes in the mid round; I'm not sure where I'd put him.

I will have a better idea early next year, after all the bowl games (which may change during the draft process.)

But I read that his stock is rising.

To run the Stanford WCO (Bill Walsh's tree), there will be play action from the I formation with the QB under center.

That said, the Texans only tied 17th in Play Action, and about half of the time as much as the league leading Vikings (48 vs 93).

Overall 48 times out of 296 is just 1/6th of the time.

Would advance stats show the breakdown of Mills numbers from under center versus shotgun?

Would advance stats show the breakdown of Mills numbers from under center versus shotgun?
It shows the team stats (which include all the QB on each team).
In the Texans' case, pretty much all the passes came from Mills.
You just deduct the number of Play Action Pass from the total pass plays to get the number in shotgun formation.

Also Mills seems to throw better on the move and very rarely does Pep move the pocket and play to Mills strengths.

Go Coogs Rah Rah

Nope.
I never endorsed any QB before Keenum.

In fact, I had said it's better to stay away from David Klinger and Andre Ware.

I'm not a homer just to be a homer.

Ware was massively screwed over by Detroit when he held out. They were running a Spread/Run-N-Shoot offense and didn't even bother utilizing the best RNS QB in the country. That was the Lions issue.

Klingler went to a bad Bengals team who decided to try and make him a Pocket QB instead of modifying their offensive scheme to his strengths. That screw up is on the Bengals.

Keenum got to start for a bad Texans team that was lacking Arian Foster and a defense. Kubiak didn't like CK improvising and really pushed him to stay in the pocket......bad move by Kubiak. I'd really like to see the Cardinals make an effort to sign CK should he become available just so fans could see how he might perform in an offense he was elite in.

I've stated several times that I think coaches should modify their offenses to their starting QB's strengths. Andy Reid did it right with Mahomes and the results are there in black and white.

Last edited:
Yeah, they're giving up 181.8 yards per game now. Hasn't been a team give up 180 or more since 1981. And they've still got Chubb, Zeke/Pollard, Henry, Etienne and Taylor left to face. And it would be no surprise if Gibson and/or Robinson went to town on them Sunday.

So, random thought....Caserio claimed Eno, but is it really going to make a difference? Will Lovie and Pep actually use him? We still have Dare, but only in the past few games has he even got any use outside of special teams. Why? Is Burkhead that much better than Dare? It seems like Caserio has brought in guys to try and see if they can make an impact on the team, but Pep and Lovie just aren't using them. I mean, Caserio brought in Tyron Johnson, but he hasn't been used. Before Tyron, Tyler Johnson was brought in, not used, and then cut. The only player that has really been used is Jordan Akins. Howard was used the first game after he was signed, but hasn't been involved much, other than as a blocker, since then. Why are Pep and Lovie not using these guys? I mean, we're in rebuild mode, we should at least play these guys, and find out if any of them can be a part of the future. Making them a healthy scratch on gameday doesn't accomplish anything.

Back